Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They should be ruined with the hot prejudice of a billion stars.

the star is also a fascist rag tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Good. He shouldn't.

his taking that stand on terrorism and foreign policy in the teeth of the death cult (and winning) deserves to earn a lot of loyalty imo

it's exactly what he was put there to do

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

pathetic little tramp posted:

Sweet lord, you can vote until 10 pm in the UK? Here we are lucky if we can vote after 6PM.

the tories have been meddling with voter registration rules and constituency boundaries this last government but we don't have a full bore attempt to become a facade democracy like you guys

we will soon though lol

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

literacy test for the 2022 election: 'write the second verse of your old school song'

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

first past the post is... good???

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

bojo is going to take over the tories and become pm and meet and do photo ops with donald trump

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

clegg can gently caress all the way off lol

break the cordon sanitaire, get the boot

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

rudatron posted:

So if the Tories still manage to clinch a minority government, it'll be down to a collapse on the snp, right? Did anyone manage to predict that?

I don't think their having the largest party (and presumptive government, minority or otherwise) was ever in doubt, but the snp collapse might give them a majority.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

lol thread title

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

public tolerance for yet another election would be low

which is lucky because corbyn might not do so well against a less miserably poo poo campaign lol

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

the first page of this thread is a lot of fun now

i've genuinely never been happier to be wrong as gently caress, my estimation of corbyn was trying to correct for the plp loving him over but obviously didn't correct hard enough

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

i defy anyone to predict this result after where labour had been for two years and the local elections without being a bill mitchell level crank though

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

like 'labour does better than expected and tory gains are kept to a manageable level' sure, but gaining seats was surely a pipe dream with the forces arrayed against corbyn and the difficulty he had had fighting them so far

but that's all gone now. everything is gone. the walls have vanished and the air is full of light

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

gonna shout out For The Many Not The Few as a real good slogan

Excelzior posted:

so how long until the PLP attempts to coup Corbyn for "failing" to win the election?

:laffo:

a lot of the usual suspects have owned up and admitted he did well and is staying, though no doubt several of them are fuming privately and on the lookout for the next opportunity

his position is a lot stronger than it was though, especially since labour gained dozens of seats and those new guys are gonna be a lot more pro-corbyn than the old guys. the labour left will have something resembling a parliamentary bench now.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

presumably the PLP opposition contains all of people genuinely opposed to left politics on principle, people who just believed it couldn't work, and also people who think they are the one but are actually the other

disillusioned former firebrands and careerists in deep with the City are going to have different reactions to the viability of left politics being proved. some of the mea culpas are cover-ups and some are genuine

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

lynton crosby ran a super racist campaign for the tory mayoral candidate who lost to sadiq khan so i'm glad he's continuing to get hosed

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Please don't send him back to Australia.

this is britain, you know what we do to miscreants

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

a minor benefit of this election is it might put to bed the stupid hype over targeted internet ads being some kind of fascist black magic

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Angepain posted:

the way it can be used to make statements to large numbers of people while making it difficult for the media to scrutinise might be a sticking point which should probably be looked at some, but I assume you're just talking about the crazy hyperbolic hot takes on it

yeah obviously it's a thing you should scrutinise and is probably somewhat better than non-targeted ads, but there was plenty of deranged tech-hype stuff about how we live in a 'managed democracy' now

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

sam kriss is critically endangering his brand lol

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

axelrod was the guy who actually ran both obama campaigns, so

he was also senior strategic advisor to ed 'stonehenge' miliband lol

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

whenever people talk after an election about how everything about the (perceived) winners did was good and everything the (percieved) losers did was bad i remind myself that if comey hadn't sent that letter last year clinton would likely have won and there'd be a bunch of articles about how amazing her 31st century hypercampaign was and how it left trump's bunglers no chance despite his 'surprisingly good' performance

now a crinkly old social democrat and a fresh-faced centrist dipshit did well in elections within a week of each other so nobody will know what to think until another election result comes along to demonstrate the secret truth of political campaigns. this time it will be *rolls dice* making sure your slogans alliterate

this is unfair to people who think seriously about elections, but i'm not convinced it's unfair to campaign professionals

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

karl marx-marx, prominent german conservative politician

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

may made bojo foreign secretary but created a new ministerial position to do the most important part of his job and put someone else in it lol

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

maybe now we'll stop hearing about cambridge analytica phrenology lol

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

so enthused to share some cracking anti-corbyn memes with my chums next election

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

i'm Extremely Concerned that corbyn gives rhetorical cover to some unsavoury types, the Sensible Centrist thing to do is send them billions of dollars of guns and bombs to slaughter their enemies with

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

'this man is a dangerous extremist. his rhetoric violates basic moral decency, and the british people must rise to repudiate it' i say as i line up the crosshairs on a starving yemeni child

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

it's extremely coincidental that corbyn and labour's fortunes reversed the moment the plp mostly shut up and the press were legally forbidden from lying about them

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

trump remained unpopular and in fact less popular than hillary all the way to beating her

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

given the election has already happened discovering young voter turnout is up but not to pre-blair levels is good imo, more room to grow

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

corbyn's team seem to have thought it was important too

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Ekster posted:

so am i reading things correctly saying that the UK is an even bigger russia cuck AND hates regulations even more than the US?

the country has been run as an annex of the finance industry for decades, the cool stuff like the nhs is just holdovers from before they haven't been able to snuff out yet

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

my one regret about may being annihilated is that cameron and osborne got out in time and will probably skate comfortably to elder statesman status despite their government being absolutely dire

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

we both will but the 'official' histories will be written by the people who spent two years trying to shank corbyn while cameron and may marched the country off a cliff

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

johnson is probably done at least, the leadership contest will be soon unless we get a zombie may government and the video of him sneering at the fire safety dude is a gun loaded and ready in his braying poshboy mouth

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Baloogan posted:

Bojo! Can Fix It!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN3e-aYUusc

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I don't watch Sky so I don't know where it lies on the relatively neutral - Tory propaganda outlet scale, but it's a Murdoch outfit and that's all you need to know it isn't pro-Corbyn and would only be pro-Labour if it saw an angle to promote New Labour.

I think broadcast news is under heavier regulation than print so it wouldn't surprise me if it isn't as vile as the Tory press.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Heyyyeyyy...

...smoke poors everyday!

it's not going well

https://twitter.com/HannahAlOthman/status/875752423238881280

it's very much not going well

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/875752135346049026

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

it'd say this could bring down the government but we don't even have a government lol