Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Might result in horrible mutants with 5 fingers on each hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Michael Shannon's looking rough.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

forkboy84 posted:

Instead of SSRIs for depression they can give you St John's Wort!

Instead of pain medication they'll just give you the address of your local smack dealer.

Both of those options would work though

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

This is perfect.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Strong and Stable :patriot:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Gripweed posted:

Are we still heading for a no-deal Brexit? Or have we moved into who the gently caress knows territory

I think going for a no-deal Brexit would be emerging from who-the-gently caress-knows territory.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. They all fall into the sea.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I don't play football very often but next time I do, if I'm losing badly with 5 minutes to go, I'm going to hide the ball.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Bryter posted:

gently caress

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
This is like having your neck on the block, trying to prepare yourself for the sweet release of death, only to have the executioner go back and forth arguing repeatedly about how he gets to gently caress your corpse.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Dead Goon posted:

Yeah, but Luton...

My mum lives in Beds so it's easy to get a flight to Luton to go and see her.

A couple years ago a friend from New York came over from Sweden while she and some friends were doing research there.

"Oh my god we're finally in London!" They all cheered.

No. They loving weren't.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Stairmaster posted:

what happens when a country with nuclear weapons experiences a water shortage

All our nukes are underwater, so this could present a problem.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I've noticed on all the BBC article comments, those posted during the daytime are overwhelmingly pro-Brexit. Those in the evening tip slightly more towards Remain. :thunk:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Grape posted:

I'm not sure that means much when you're facing off with Italian and Greco-Turkish. Which are both elite as hell.
But then again of the three, Spanish is the one I'm least familiar with. :shrug:

Lots and lots of fried octopus.

Sausages deconstructed into a fine paste spread on bread.

Ham.

Potato croquettes.

What is invariably translated by most restaurants as "brave potatoes".

Also, where I live: onions cooked over fire, served in newspapers and dipped in romesco sauce.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Elman posted:

Sounds like you exclusively ate tapas.

Also who the gently caress fries octopus?

I generally cook at home, and when I go out my poor friends and I get stuff to share, so yeah. Also, paella and fideuá had already been covered.

I had kangaroo a few months back, that fine Iberian beast.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
https://twitter.com/GdnPolitics/status/1075725387882098688

:hmbol:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Grondoth posted:

So like...
For real...

Why don't you guys just do a "you sure about this" vote? Seems like you're going to gently caress yourselves over and no one's happy about it?

Because the current government is propped up entirely by people who want to saw their own arms off regardless of what anyone tells them.

May's broken plenty of promises but breaking this one will cost the Tories most of their support.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Extreme0 posted:

Just loving Bomb Northern Ireland to oblivion. We can give the land back to the Irish after we get rid of everyone there. it's the least we can do for them after all the poo poo we did to them.

Come on, man, I've just gotten used to having bins available at train stations.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Party Boat posted:

Paddy Ashdown's died.

He never ate that hat.

I think that makes Skinner the only politician left alive in the UK that I actually like.

Maybe Ken Clarke...

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Last time the UK was invited it was because they sent a letter saying:

"Would you mind terribly invading us and deposing our king?"

It worked.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I remember there being an article celebrating pasta and Giles Coren said "... it's peasant food."

Twat.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The rural areas are racist as gently caress but big cities are the polar opposite.

If you start a racist rant on a bus or train the passengers will force you off. Try to organise a white power demo and there'll be so many counter-protesters you won't make it out of the train station.

Jose posted:

the charitable reading of this based on him specifying organic matter is talking about stuff like valerian extract and st johns wort

As someone who takes the latter, even if it was just a placebo that would still mean it was working for me.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

marktheando posted:

Its pretty stupid to argue against the English people being racist when they voted for maximum racism and haven’t changed their mind.

It would be like arguing Americans aren’t racist when 40% of them still love Trump.

Yes, both counties being perfect examples of homogeneous societies.

Additionally, the whole "all Brexit/Trump voters are racist by definition :downswords:" viewpoint is exactly the kind of thinking that got both the US and UK into the shitshows they find themselves in.

Captain Splendid has issued a correction as of 14:51 on Jan 3, 2019

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Just tell them that if it's vegan, it's also technically Halal. That'll calm them down.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1082715022256533504

Get hosed, Theresa.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Samovar posted:

What does this mean, precisely?

It limits money that can be spent on no-deal preparations, making it either a) less of a possibility or b) much more catastrophic if it does happen, b) reinforcing a), hopefully.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

silvergoose posted:

It's not like there's much preparation that will actually make no-deal brexit at all palatable to anyone, right?

Definitely not, but the simple act of actually doing it makes it look like you think a no-deal is a valid option.

I'm not ruling out it being a scare tactic to get everyone on board with the deal, but this government has been so monumentally incompetent I don't know what to believe.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

hakimashou posted:

Some people believe he has a secret plan to fight the brexit.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I was disappointed enough with Scott Adams...

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Why would brexit end austerity?

A lot of the strain gets taken off government services if enough of the population is simply left to die.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Result should be in about 15m time.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Glad postponing it for a month paid off.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

VROOM VROOM posted:

if my galaxy ameribrain understands this correctly, T-May is currently immune to no confidence votes

For leader of her own party, not immune at all to votes against her government.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
https://twitter.com/eucopresident/status/1085260488903090176

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Jose posted:

the tories absolutely hate him because he's one of them and holds them to account

gently caress yeah he does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BFoWbbLw30

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
It actually makes cancelling the whole thing more likely, but also makes a no deal more likely too.

Buffs Atk, Lowers Def

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The only reason Scotland got an independence referendum and a chance for direct democracy was because the government knew it would go their way.

The only reason a Brexit referendum was given was to appease the eurosceptics being wooed by UKIP and because the government knew it would go their way.

The reason why so many Brexiteers are shooting down talk of a second referendum is because they know it probably won't go their way again.

The whole campaign last year was an utter farce, the Leave camp broke electoral law and outright lied. Remain were equally poo poo, but for different reasons. Democracies only really make sense if your voting public are making an informed decision, and that was absolutely not the case.

I'm reasonably confident, that with 3 years of hindsight and watching the government flop about ineffectively and clearly demonstrating that it's not up to the task it cornered itself into, that not leaving the EU at this point would be pissing on a lesser half of the population.

If it were up to me, I'd cancel the whole thing (but I live and work abroad in an EU country, of course I would). At the same time, I'd definitely back another referendum, we're infinitely better informed about what we're getting ourselves into than last time, that seems a hell of a lot more democratic to me.

If it went Leave again, then gently caress it, the UK deserves to implode anyway.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
gently caress the DUP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
But America always makes lovely remakes with bigger budgets.