Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Been out of the loop on this for a bit. Was wondering. Everytime it pops up on reddit it a bunch of comments bitching that Corbyn hasn't done anything about it. Isn't labour still the minority party though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Self-identified centrists massively overestimating their theoretical popularity as usual.

Lol didn't Labour open up their party membership because they thought it would flood them with centrists. The result from it was Corbyn taking over

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Corbyn specifically is just being attacked for being anti-Israel, and I think he once used an anti-Semitic trope when criticizing bankers and apologized once he was told it had a second meaning. There's fair criticism of the Labour party for being too tolerant of anti-Semitism in their ranks, but the right-wing parties and UK media harping on it are real usual suspects who are incidentally supported by all the open nazis and white supremacists, which should be no reason for concern.

When did trope become the term over sterotype. Feel like I have never seen it used that way until the Omar stuff happened.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Lol UK really gonna blow itself up instead of backing down from Brexit aren't they

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

UK bout to become a client state of the US

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Have people started panicking yet or hoarding food in their homes?

Also the UK government could just back out of Brexit if they wanted right?

Raccooon has issued a correction as of 05:37 on Feb 21, 2019

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Revoking Article 50 would tear the Tories apart since the hard Brexiters would want to split - so they won't.

Seems like it would be better to risk that than the destruction of your country. Amazing they are just gonna walk off the cliff lol.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

This gonna cause a global recession?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

Petition to remain in EU over 300k now. Hitting refresh watching it tick up.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Gonna plan a vacation to UK next year. Just gonna bring a sack of canned beans to barter with.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

alnilam posted:

I still find it incredible that calling for a second referendum would be a travesty of democracy but voting three times for the same thing against 400 year old parliamentary rules is the only way lmao

Why does she not want a second referendum? If it passes for remain, that would give them the cover to get out of this whole mess. Does TM actually want to do Brexit?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Just blows my mind that a UK politician wants the destruction of the UK to be their legacy

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

univbee posted:

On top of actually wanting it, there's the whole problem of a second referendum meaning you can just do-over a democratic vote that "doesn't go your way" until you get the results you want, and how that would mean the first referendum was meaningless and not democracy working. Of course, then there's the whole argument about the validity of that first referendum in the first place with the lies etc. so it's all a giant clusterfuck.

Wouldn't a second referendum be more like given that their is more information about how this is going to go do you still want to do it? Not just a redo.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

UK dying tomorrow or do I gotta wait two more weeks?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Brexit still happening this Friday and if so am I gonna get blue balled again?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

So how does this work can the Queen just say no or it is some dumb formal operation she has no real control over?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Captain Splendid posted:

The Queen's a rubber stamp

So essentially it should just be read as Boris Johnson is suspending Parliament. Not he is asking the Queen to do it.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Looks like we found our trigger for the global recession lol

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

So with a hard Brexit. Does that mean no international trade can occur until new trade deals are established?

Which negotiations could take several months while the UK starves?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

So what is the expected fall out from a no deal? We talking people starving and no medicine plus recession or just recession?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Lol.

How are the conservatives still the most popular party?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

The British are some weird looking mother fuckers

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Been looking at some of the UK subreddits. They are largely pro-remain but the leavers there seem convinced they will be able to get a better deal after a no deal Brexit lol

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Nocturtle posted:

Is YouGov a reliable pollster? This result has stuck with me for days:

Here's another poll that makes me sad:

Good luck to everyone stuck on death cult Boomer island.

Lol. Boomers would rather destroy themselves than maybe have a neighbor with skin darker than their own.

Good to see UK boomers just as poo poo as the USA ones

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Lote posted:

BTTF2 predicted it.

“McFly, you BoJo! Everyone knows hoverboards don’t work on water. Unless you got power!”

Haven’t seen this movie in 10 years but can still clearly hear this line in my head

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

What does the House of Lords do? Is it just a vestigial part of the government now?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

it’s like the senate but for rich pricks. sort of

But seems weird because it looks much weaker than the US senate from a quick glance at its wiki.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

oliwan posted:

Why is it so difficult for americans to understand the ceremonial role of the monarchy

It’s weird that someone had ancestors 1000 years ago good at swinging a mace and that’s why they are necessary to the government.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

UK House of Commons Speaker separate from the parties? Not like the US where the speaker is the head of the majority?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

One of the tory lads has knocked up this and handed it out to press and not realised the logo is actually cool as gently caress.

look at the state of that chicken too.

They think Colonel Sanders is a chicken.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Brexit still on?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

This would probably make Brexit assured right?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Lol y’all went out in high turnout to vote for Boris?!

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, when I went to bed everyone was talking about how they had to line up when they had never had to line up before and stuff like that, and this is the result?

Do y’all have the issue like in the US with Gerrymandering where it was just running up the score on a single candidate and not spread out enough? I don’t know anything about your system.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Pomp posted:

losing your NHS should be a civil war worthy issue tbh, you are in for a nightmare you cannot fathom

Yeah I have two family members with medical debt in the range of $200,000+. I doubt most people in the UK even know thats possible.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Can't they lose their houses doing this?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Well at least we still got that Sanders is well liked and antisemitism smear will be a lot trickier for them on him. I assume it will be that all his supporters are anti-semitic though but they still gotta explain why all those people want to make a Jew the most powerful person in the world. Plus outside of maybe a bloomberg spoiler there is a lot less of a threat from a third party run.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

So Sanders has to win now. The cancer has to be rooted out at the source

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

BGrifter posted:

Kind of feels like Sanders represents the last desperate shot for a dying planet to survive.

No pressure or anything America.

Lol the fate of the UK NHS may hinge on if Sanders is President during the negotiations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

get that OUT of my face posted:

i'm still optimistic he can pull it off but man, i'm a little less confident after today

Well remember Sanders is still much more popular here than Corbyn is in the UK. Also antisemitism attacks are a lot more tricky against him. Also lot less of a threat of a third party bleeding support outside maybe a bloomberg run. Its still gonna be an uphill battle though.