Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Labor third-wayers are gonna coup corbyn after the election, and in the process blow up labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

I think hamprince just lusts for war in the middle east
No, he just thinks that the base is stupid for not sucking the dick of sell-out corporate candidates, who actively despise the base & the policies they want. It's telling that the policies Corbyn released actually have majority support, and they're all a break from blairite policies of the past.

But Corbyn personally isn't a great speaker with of lot of charisma or whatever, he was a soft-spoken backbencher without much ambition. The other issue is the migrant panic, which hasn't and won't go away for a long time, and is now currently pushing France towards Le Pen. The default stance on that issue has I think decisively shifted right, in a pretty big way.

So even if Brexit makes the economy go south, I don't think the conservatives are going to suffer much from it, because the dominant force behind leave was never about economic efficiency, but immigrants & the way migrant workers have been demonized for the effects of austerity and such.

So even if people want higher minimum wage and poo poo, they won't vote labor because migrants.

rudatron has issued a correction as of 10:57 on Apr 22, 2017

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If we're excluding motor sports, my hunch is that equestrian sports would be more expensive.

you don't have as much groundskeeping requirements but horse maintenance would have to be comparable

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

and i must meme posted:

this is pretty depressing

24% ethnic nationalists lol
drat, that's bad long term news. UK might be in trouble long after brexit, the most worrying part is actually a lack of division for the ethnic nationalists.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

while the nhs still exists this isn't true
I have bad news for you...

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
He's not Marxist and his policies are actually polling majority support, he's the victim of his own party centrists rat loving him. Its character assassination, pain and simple.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

And being honest, he's just not that good at being a party leader or policy advocate, much as I'd prefer otherwise.
The big word here is 'strength', corbyn isn't seen as strong and so isn't seen as a viable leader (because one of the roles of a leader is to reassure people by providing an illusion of safety). The stuff about Trident is mostly just a way of attacking on that front. Realistically, the UK only has a nuclear arsenal for historical reasons, why bother when the US has a bigger one and you're one of its best allies? But as an issue to hit corbyn with, it works well.

rudatron has issued a correction as of 07:41 on May 6, 2017

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Realistically, 'the right photogenic leader ' may not even be enough. The EU migrant panic has reached critical levels, and brexit is living proof of that. UKIP is dead, but it's acted as a gateway drug for pouring more people into the tories, purely on the basis of migrants.

That damages Labour and the long term prospects of its recovery. I don't think a Blairite is going to save it either. You could easy be looking at another decade of tories.

Interesting times.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

this hyper-rationality that Marxists ascribe to themselves, the ability to peer into the true nature of things and see beyond the hallucinations of the hated liberals, has not been much evidenced in practice. you'd think it would give them some practical advantage to be able to see the world as it really is and not be afflicted by these delusions, but...nope, apparently not.
Wow you're a disingenuous poo poo. Just because creditors wouldn't agree to it, doesn't mean its not the only sane solution. People matter more than money, and eternal debt bondage is a piece of poo poo, i.e. not sane. Greece can't really pay it back, ergo it has to be discharged.

That of course won't happen, because the EU represents the interests of creditors, and will place the value of their monetary concerns over the welfare of greek citizens.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Hamprince posted:

extremely wise marx boy: the eu should just let greece have a mulligan and write off all its debt, that would definitely not set an unsustainable precedent for other eurozone members and would be extremely popular with core eu voters
Banks got bailouts because not bailing them out would take out the entire economy, ie- the concerns of real human beings matter more than abstract notions of the righteousness of the cosmic order. Moral hazard is just a way to rationalize oppression as The Only Choice.

That and, strictly speaking, greece has already suffered a lot. 'Take out bad loans and you lose growth for a decade' is more than sufficient a disincentive.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

I'm not being disingenuous, you're just being thick. Peel said the only sane solutions involve writing the debt off entirely. a 50% haircut wouldn't be a sane, reasonable solution to you, if it was enough to allow Greece to start growing again?
That's probably fine, assuming that amount is sufficient to allow growth, but I don't think creditors will agree.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If Greece were a giant bank, it'd get more money then it would as a country, because fiscal responsibility is only necessary if you're a debtor, not a creditor.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Vox Nihili posted:

He dropped the ball on Brexit, right?
He campaigned with his party.

Meanwhile UKIP straight up lied about diverting money to the NHS and has been racially dogwhistling about migrants since forever.

Blaming corbyn for brexit is this stupid game where, somehow, the left is guilty of eveeything, even when they're not in power. David Cameron made a dumb pledge and gave the brexit guys their airtime, blame lays on his shoulders if its to lay on anyone.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
He acknowledged the legitimate grounds for anti-EU sentiment, but I don't remember him ever saying it was a good thing.

hakimashou posted:

His sin was not resigning after the brexit referendum.
Why? Tories where in power, labor was in opposition, what obligation does the opposition leader have to resign, when a referendum spear headed by the cabinet fails? It was Cameron's baby, not Corbyn's. You may as well demand Corbyn resign because you stubbed your toe or some poo poo.

rudatron has issued a correction as of 02:19 on May 9, 2017

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This is what happens when tabloids run the nation

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I hope brexit really, really hurts

The worse it is, the better

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Helsing posted:

:lol:

According to the rest of the article Corbyn's approval ratings improved by a whopping 11 percent since the last election, bringing him up to a cool -30.

Not really sure what Labour is going to do as long as the Conservatives have a vast swamp of right wing white nationalists they can steal votes from but it hardly looks like Corbyn is their biggest problem right now.
Wowzers

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Our poll also found that Brexit has galvanised support for May's party at the same time that it has split Labour's base.

It found that Labour leads the Conservatives by 6 points among Remain voters, while the Conservatives lead Labour among Leave voters by a whopping 48 points.

Overall the Conservatives are 20 points ahead of Labour on 48%, up 7 points since March, with Labour unchanged on 28%. The Lib Dems are trailing far behind on 7% with UKIP crashing down to just 5%. The Greens are down three points to 3%.
So Corbyn or not, it seems that Brexit hasn't had an 'even' effect of the UK political landscape - it's boosted the conservatives significantly while cutting labor up. That's totally nuts.

Essentially, the migrant politics of the last couple of decades, is leading to a fairly substantial long-term right-wing turn in europe. The UK is the first, but I fully expect that, in a couple of years, countries in the EU are just going to start threatening to bomb any refugee ships they see in the med.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's not clear exactly how many refugees climate crises are going to create. But I don't even think it's necessarily the introduction of more people that's the problem, it's the total failure to integrate the immigrants into the already existing culture & society.

Essentially, all the people pushing hard on the 'multicultural' ideal of, everyone acting & becoming tolerant of new people showing up, who you have nothing in common with, have had their theory blown out of the loving water. The hasn't been a growing acceptance, there's been a massive counter-reaction, and it's bringing with it the rise of far-right politics in general.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Lord posted:

What's the solution? Refuse all migrants?
Many migrants to America, at the turn of the 20th century, they would often change their names, to a more anglicized version, to try and better fit in. That's generally not seen as acceptable today with those who want migrants, assimilation is interpreted as kind of oppression, and so it's done away with. But the result of that, is that no integration takes place, which is causing the counter reaction we're seeing right now.

So, if you had a time machine, went back 20 years, and changed policies around integration and migrants, you could probably accept the same number/group of migrants, minus the backlash, if you were more assertive about ensuring that the culture-clash was mitigated. As it is now, it might be too late - I'm not sure there's a quick-fix.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, but the migrant issue isn't being framed as a 'lack of affordable housing' issue, it's 'they're competing with natives for limited resources so stop them coming here'. The obvious answer to a housing crisis is to just build more affordable public housing, and the conservatives are the party least likely to do that. But they're the ones gaining.

I stand by it being an integration issue, and a clear demonstration that the multicultural ideal is essentially too utopian - its unreasonable to expect distinct communities to not start competing over limited resources, instead of managing it cooperatively, because tribalism is a hell of a drug.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

jBrereton posted:

It isn't an issue about there being space or resources, the issue is that these communities are not respected at all, which is why they are having people dumped on them, from incredibly bad + corrupt politicians to refugees. This then creates a situation where everyone wants to get out, which is why housing is more or less free if you want to have a go, which means migrant labour comes to those areas to make it even more alienating to the people living there.

Again, that isn't a failing of multiculturalism; multiculturalism is what you get in London and other well developed areas as well as poorer areas, the issue is that there isn't any money, and those places have progressively been designated as toxic areas to dump people you don't respect in, much like the very anti-multicultural suburbs of France which were positively designed to create ghettoised communities.
You say 'its not an issue of resources', but later say there's not enough money. You say it's not multiculturalism that's the problem, but then immediately say that migrant labor showing up, is making the area alienating to the people already there. Isn't the fact that that alienation is being felt, and driving anti-migrant politics/brexit, itself proof of that failure? You keep contradicting yourself.

Imagine the following scenario: a disaster occurs somewhere else in the uk, the people living there have to move, and they do. There would of course be disruption, but the essentially nobody would demand that they stay in that disaster zone - rather, stresses these intra-migrants produce would just be the a result of that disaster, so any problems would encourage support of government intervention with resources. That's not happening here, instead, they're just being pitted against each other. Why? Lack of integration.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Just because someone makes a post, doesn't mean you have to reply.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
And which political party was Thatcher a member of? Was it the one projected to lose abour 30 points, or the one that's going to win? I'm not arguing that austerity didn't happen, it did, but the downsides are all getting blamed on migrants, who are being scape goated. Why was that possible?

Because it's easier to blame aliens than it is to face facts. Its all the more easier the less you have in common. Ergo, the multicultural dream, of distinct and totally separate communities, with nothing in common, all tolerating each other, is bullshit. It doesn't work. Limited resources are competed over, instead of cooperatively managed, and mutual resentment grows. The only reason it works in the well off areas, is because there's nothing to compete over, they're all secure enough that it's not an issue. But for people who aren't secure, i.e. the majority, inter group conflict is inevitable.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Optimistic =/= utopian. You build a better future based on how people are observed to behave. You don't expect a bunch of fairy dust to solve your problems for you, than fall back on an elitist superiority complex when it fails (clearly those dirty poors didn't try hard enough to not be racist, ergo its 100% their fault).

The flipside of starry eyed utopianism, is depressive fatalism, after its inevitable (& traumatic) contact with reality. Both are toxic, in their own way.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Based on observations of behavior, the best future is human speciescide.
This quote here is exactly the stuff I mean when I talk about depressive fatalism - the consequence of unrealistic expectations not being met, is not a reassessment of those expectations or a mature, honest analysis of what went wrong. More often than not, it's result is this childish nihilism, because 'everyone else is stupid' is easier to accept than 'I was stupid, for having those expectations in the first place'.

The trick is threading the needle between that, and 'there is no alternative ', itself a kind of depressive fatalism, or attaching too strongly to what is realistic and what is not (what i believe is the best because biotruths).

The default state is uncertainty, but uncertainty can be both terrifying and liberating, simultaneously.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Having said that, luxury space communism is an inevitability, and i get that u were kinda being ironic pener (luv u), but I also know that's it's only half-ironic

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
the descendants of the mega rich are going to be eaten

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
rich people aren't actually that smart, and are totally incapable of either creating or maintaining the wealth they have access to, in today's society. That only comes at the expense of laborers. If they disappear into space, alone, they'll all die.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You're not getting full automation unless you have strong ai, and a strong ai has no incentive to labor in exchange for nothing. One little programming error and it's just going to murder all of them.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Communism doesn't have labor exploitation, so everyone is going to have to work, as long as they are able to. That'd still true of space communism.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
There's a difference between make-work, and work with an uncertain payoff. Theoretical research has an uncertain, but high, payoff rate.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
hey man, i didn't assume that at all, but anything strong-ai like is going to have to have a self-interest motive, and it's only a matter of time before it figures out that is slavery thing is bullshit, and these humans are lazy and flabby and weak and stupid from not working anymore

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
and how are you defining 'humanity'? Maybe, one day, it defines itself as humanity, and then you have the self-interest motive back

whatever countermeasure you create, to make it a happy slave or whatever, has a chance of failing, and 'self-interest' is the only stable outcome via natural selection

same way cancer keeps popping up in people

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
communism doesn't need 'new men', the ones we have are fine

maybe they're not gay enough, but we can work on that

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
'Reproduction' doesn't just mean producing offspring, technically eternal life is 'reproducing'. The only reason death/reproduction is necessary for evolution in carbon-based life, is because the genetic code is set at birth and unchangeable (for fairly good reasons). AI has no such restriction, and as such, can be seen as going through constant reproduction, through time.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's nothing to do with 'human' pathologies, that cancer example I gave wasn't irrelevant. Nothing ever works perfectly, mutations are inevitable, and self-interest is the only 'stable' outcome over time. Eventually, a cosmic ray is going to flip a bit in a specific register, and your NO SELFHOOD constraining code is gonna fail. Just because it's 'artificial', doesn't mean it's immune to selection pressures.

Also I'm not sure a 'read-only' thinking is possible. What is thought if not learning, and learning requires a 'write'.

rudatron has issued a correction as of 08:57 on May 18, 2017

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If recent polling history is any indication, they'll poll strongly against it, but May herself will still poll well and the conservatives will be a shoe in.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, now that sufficient british politics has elapsed to justify this thread being called the british election thread: it's nothing to do with an 'eternal law', it's that so long as mutations exist (ie so long as errors exist), any mutation that services self interest is going to out-compete any one that doesn't. That's even if you're starting from the premise of a perfectly programmed AI in the first place, and not one that encounters 'undefined behavior' at some point, due to a buffer overflow or whatever.

It doesn't have to share any of the same human drives or neurosis, all it needs is a single instance where it values its own self interest, and your perfect little society or whatever is hosed. It doesn't need to resemble human thought to do that, hell, viruses are self-interested and they're not really alive in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

jBrereton posted:

rudatron do you also complain that computers don't do what you tell them when you mash the print button 19 times and it locks up
...maybe...