Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1144324954625851394

Owen Jones jumping on the 'remain and reform' is a possibility dream train

he's a good lad but the idea that the uk, especially a uk that just backed down from brexiting, could have any ability to stop the eu being neoliberal is just absurd. there literally isn't a mechanism to stop the eu imposing economic thatcherism, it would require the unelected peeps to all be removed, all be replaced and then for the entire superstructure to be removed and theres no legit process for that. the eu is designed to not be reformed by member states, 'remain and reform' is such a fake idea meme

My dude wtf. Corbyn's Brexit compromise was a decent plan, but only from a politics point of view. It was always bad policy, because unless you go full Juche the EU will dictate the terms of trade even after you leave.
And the politics have turned since the fash and the BBC, but I repeat myself, have managed to redefine Brexit out of the range of the lowish damage Corbyn compromise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

you are right that the terms have changed though. farage trying to bring brexit party into the eu far right grouping was a real turning point, obviously for all-leavers-are-nazis chuds it wasn't but in reality trying to present single issue brexit voters are supporters of the european far right was extraordinarily anti-democratic. still not happy about a second ref but if democracy is getting shat on either way it becomes a lot more palatable.

Wha? Farage already campaigned the first time around by just printing out Nazi posters. Don't you remember the "Breaking point"? And if I had to find a turning point as to when the general definition of Brexit turned to No Deal I'd definitely go with May's election on the plan to crush Labour by going full fash and eating UKIP-

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

poty posted:

the eu is not unelected. i support an eu army itd be p handy as the current situation proves.

remember 2 years ago when macron was literally getting elected after camapaigning for the idea of an eu army?

Nah, don't see how it would do any good since the core problem is that the Europeans including the Brits are licking US boot and bothering the Persians for no good reason.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Squizzle posted:

a key diff between trumo and bojo, for caricature, is that triunp has this deliquescence of form, like he was never fully created and has dissolved since. he both spills over and melts downward, and when he moves yr mind wants it to sound like two men in heavy boots walking thru thick riverbed mud, dragging behind them a wool blanket covered in a mound of dry leaves

bojo to the contrary has an overstuffed roundness to him and moves like a horse w acute klonopin withdrawal

vice versa as regards their hair, ofc

You're doing good work here.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

It's much easier to magic away reality if you camp out in the BBC QuestionTime studio.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

also yeah he's hoping that the EU caves, which i'm pretty sure they won't. there is almost certainly a plan in place for shaping what happens if they don't, but it is very difficult to see what the hell that would entail - an immediate GE before crashing out to get a mandate for no deal? after crashing out?

i'm glad i'm not a lab or lib trying to make a strategy here, it's completely chaotic and depends on the inner workings of what is basically a criminal conspiracy at the heart of government

What would the EU caving even look like?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Dravs posted:

Hey, can you source this? I'm a green member and I've not heard of this. I've not seen any anti-Corbyn sentiment. I mean, we only got 1 MP, not sure how much swing we got to start making coalitions anyway.

I've seen this but idk
https://twitter.com/CarolineLucas/status/1160638994625044480

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

bitmap posted:

im assuming this got skipped over because you've all seen it already but god drat

Is that supposed to be Reese Mog?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Corbyn would get his hands on the Prince Andrew files and that definitely can't happen

There'll be a lot of smoking civil servants in the archieves if Corbyn ever wins teh voc.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

One minor thing I wondered: Does the role of Leader of the Opposition connect in any way with the fair reporting rules before an election? Suppose Corbyn and the Melts crown some 80 year old with advanced dementia to be PM button presser: Pfeffel would be LOTO. Could the BBC then get away with giving all Labour air time to the interim PM?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is it alright? It has a good Twitter.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'm not sure Labour HQ is really worried about the polls now. Before the last election they indicated a wipeout.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

i am evil homer

I'm the gimmick account that outsorces all the jokes.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

eh he could've done the corbyn strategy of just saying "gently caress it let's rouse the rabble" and gone for broke, but nobody had any idea that that was a viable way to do politics in the UK until 2017 lol

Also not clear it was a viable strategy then. Corbyn could plausible claim a break with the old guard since they camped out in the Guardian offices and told everyone who would listen that he was an anti-semitic judeo-bolshevik.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So I take it the Telegraph isn't paying their interns particularily well?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

twoday posted:

While all this is happening and all these people now calling for BoJo to resign, Boris himself is in Brussels

https://twitter.com/PaulLewis/status/1171744318236823552?s=20

Apparently the rumor going around is that they may revive the idea of having the customs union border in the Irish Sea. The DUP was against this before, but now it seems that there may be enough Labour and rebel Tory votes for this pass in the House of Commons. So the EU was pushing for that option. But Bojo might not be the prime minister in a few days to decide on this, and there’s no parliament around to approve it even if he did so lol

Maybe he can ask for asylum in Belgium.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Preston Waters posted:

how the gently caress

I'm guessing that's not possible?

Certainly not with this attitude.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Twitter is unrepresentative and extremely easily gamed. It is also a platform for the far right by the far right. You don't need to take it too seriously except for the fact that all the papers take it seriously

Also true for the papers.

But seriously I'd bet money that the Integrity Initiative is not the only entity running anti Corbyn accounts.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

marktheando posted:

Yes when it comes to groups planning to make tons of money from no deal brexit, people often overlook organised crime. They are really looking forward to literally everything just being waved through.

Seems like that might crash their margins though. Free shipping from Kabul for 1t and up.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

lol fptp is broken as poo poo

True, but we'll only know if it is bad or not once the next election is in.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gschmidl posted:

I can tell you that Austria would be even more of an idiot backwards country if the EU had not forced literally every positive thing on us through regulations (with politicians having a scapegoat in the EU, they "had to" implement those measures, not their fault! please vote for us again!).

Eh. EU rail policy is pretty dumb and wasteful, and I've never seen a place as desperate to sell you garbage as the (not so) new privatized Austrian post offices. The telecom regulations seem to have worked out at least.
Edit: Frankly, the best thing about Austria was that the two long term government parties hated each others guts to the extent that no one could do a Thatcher.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 07:59 on Sep 24, 2019

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

its gonna be no deal its funny people think that its not inevitable at this point

It's absolutely not inevitable. It will happen because of the LibDems.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Squizzle posted:

the crown is a figurehead

the real power is the mace

But only the spider can speak law.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gschmidl posted:

Russian bots couldn't do it without the immense, boundless stupidity of voters.

My dude the pro-brexit bots are the UK's anti disinformation campaign.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

frankenfreak posted:

Proclick from UKMT:

No.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

this may not be what you're looking for, but have you considered A Song of Mogg and Bojo, by George R. R. Brexit?

I still remember when he promised he'd be done by end of the year. I don't remember which year it was though.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

We'll see. In the end it is just a matter of if the ERC's efforts to sabotage Brexit will thwart the LibDem's no deal plans.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I've skipped a lot of episodes, so no spoilers, but this season did we learn what the mysterious 'brexit' is?
Judge for yourself:

https://twitter.com/HelenYoung16/status/1182275038134915072

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

oliwan posted:

Meanwhile in Germany:

First person ever jailed over public broadcaster fee

Sieglinde Baumert began a six-month prison sentence in February after refusing to co-operate with the authorities trying to force her to pay the public broadcaster fee.

https://www.thelocal.de/20160404/first-person-ever-jailed-for-public-broadcaster-fee

This hero is sill doing his thing however:

""Unsere Stellungnahme im Verfahren um Barzahlung des Rundfunkbeitrags beim Europäischen Gerichtshof - norberthaering.de" posted:

Am 27. März hat das Bundesverwaltungsgericht in meinem Verfahren gegen den Hessischen Rundfunk entschieden, zunächst dem Europäischen Gerichtshof (EuGH) Fragen zur Entscheidung vorzulegen. Der EuGH soll entscheiden, ob die deutschen Paragraphen zum gesetzlichen Zahlungsmittel inhaltlich identisch mit den europäischen sind, und wenn nicht, was gelten soll. Mein Anwalt Carlos A. Gebauer hat nun die folgende Stellungnahme in Luxemburg vorgelegt.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The day before Corbyn becomes interims PM all air quality gains in London of the last 30 years will be lost to paper smoke.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

My understanding is that Junker can't rule out poo poo.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

twoday posted:

If parliament rejects this one too, there really is no good reason from the EU perspective to grant an extension and continue these pointless negotiations

There really wasn't the last time either.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

oliwan posted:

didnt the EU say that they wouldn't grant an extension before the vote happens

They say that before every extension.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1187442753170477056

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

alphabettitouretti posted:

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1187668425717485568

The coin looks like the kind of shite sold in the back of tabloid magazines. It'll go nicely alongside a Princess Diana memorial plate in some boomer's glass display cabinet.

This is the lack of entrepreneurship that is bringing the country down. I would have wanted one of those, and one for all the Brexits after. Brexitcoins are the future.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I only wonderr how Owen Jones keeps his column. He seems to be the only non poo poo regular. Paul Mason was less than useless when he covered Greece and Monbiot keeps trying to own Chomsky for genocide denial.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

jBrereton posted:

the greens and lib dems are the two major (ish, for the greens) outwardly anti brexit parties you can vote for in England.

There's also the SNP in Scotland, Plaid in Wales, SF, and the SDLP or Fianna Fail (whichever they're running as this coming election) in northern ireland. I don't know if the UUP is anti brexit but the DUP has eaten their lunch anyway.

The LibDems will do Brexit.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hillary 2020 posted:

52% of people appear to be idiots so yes.

Cursed gimmick.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

jam Jam JAM JAM 1!!!11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Obliterati posted:

Lord Brown of Nose-Envelope

I appreciate your work.