Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Isn't "Ask Politely" all they can really do to force her out at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

when will america intervene

The UK has oil?!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Captain Splendid posted:

Michael Gove wanted to be PM and BoJo was backing him.

Then BoJo stabbed him in the back and said he wanted to be PM instead.

Then they both gave up when they realised they had no support.

Yes, Minister has taught me that this is pretty much the usual way.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I think he'd have to renounce all royal/noble titles and claims, too.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

tarbrush posted:

Think of them as the UK equivalent of The Troops in America. They've both been careful to align themselves with what it means to be British/American, particularly amongst those who think its important that you're British/American.

the royals regularly commit war crimes?!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

is labour’s strategic ambiguity re brex working yes or no, what are the win and fail states

It's making them lose to the loving Lib Dems, lol.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Doc Hawkins posted:

as a dumb american i need clarification on how many layers of irony you're on here

are there actually english leftists who are against scottish independence?

Pretty sure that's ~90% of the UKMT

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The Protagonist posted:

lol literal political necromancy

A Plutocracy in both senses of the word.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Squizzle posted:

a bunch of white americans have a strong sense of ancestral pride in and identification w ireland and to a lesser but still present extent scotland

see all the $$$ the ira got from americans, and the interest in ireland from the otherwise uninvolved american political apparatus

there isnt the same strong sense of specifically anglo-american ethnic identity or sense of it being ideal that the uk remain u'd

i think there would be support in the us for independent scotland that would be.......not massive but large enough to be politically significant

The Irish-American identity is waaayyyyy stronger than any kind of Scottish-American identity. I've met tons of Americans that call themselves Irish, but literally not a single one that identified as a Scot. At most you'll get people who liked Braveheart a bit too much, and maybe some of the general "gently caress the British Empire, and Everything it Ever Was" sentiment that still (correctly) hangs around in just about every country.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Phigs posted:

At what point would the English give up on the United Kingdom label if everyone left them one by one do you think?

The country could just be a smallish circle drawn around the queen and they'd still be rambling about how those stupid Irishmen should just suck it up and rejoin the union.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

More like Jeremy oval office

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

tell me about slavery

We learned it from watching YOU!

:qq:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

"You claim to like Jeremy Corbyn, but have you considered how incredibly sexy he is?"

-A Person Trying to Smear Corbyn, Apparently.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

MikeCrotch posted:

*gets out magnifying glass*

Yup, it's Brexit

But what does it mean?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Pyrotoad posted:

Coalition with the Lib Dems though.

How can the tories have a coalition with the tories?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Wait, so what's actually gonna happen with Ireland if there's a no deal Brexit? I know there's theoretically supposed to be a hard border, but wouldn't that be pretty much impossible in practice?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Grape posted:

Did the UK always do this kind of Republican "lol gently caress the world we own!! suck my dicckkkk" stuff?

What, did you think America came up with that on its own?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I remember a Brit trying to defend the godawful sweets they eat with their tea.

He legitimately seemed to think that comparing one of the better ones to graham crackers was helping his case.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Nocturtle posted:

Assuming the LibDems and others fall into line.

lmao

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Agean90 posted:

Tired: Irish republican army
Wired: Scottish republican army

inspired: united celtic republican army

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Grape posted:

Why are you saying "turns out she isn't a ceremonial rubberstamp, because Boris Johnson used her as a ceremonial rubber stamp."

I think he's talking about her power not being ceremonial. Your queen has absolute power, and she has to do whatever the PM says, so doesn't that mean your PM is effectively just a semi-elected absolute monarch?

How the gently caress has this not come up until now?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

baka kaba posted:

She doesn't technically have to do what he says, but doing what he says is the protocol. She doesn't actively assert those powers herself, which is what makes her position ceremonial. If she did break with that protocol you'd have a constitutional crisis, because it's based on precedent and generally agreed ways of doing things, and suddenly you'd have a monarch who's actually ruling instead of being a figurehead and attracting tourists

Ash did a thing with Amy to explain the situation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GX0DELlKsM

it...still sounds like Boris is de facto King of Britain.

Like is there anything actually stopping him from declaring war on France or ordering that Jeremy Corbyn be shot other than vague precedent and unspoken rules?

Because we've seen how vague precedent and unspoken rules work out when conservatives are involved...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

poty posted:

the house of commons is live at the moment and its the good stuff everyone is just hollering

Dammit, I'm at work. I love a good rowdy Commons...

Anywhere I can watch a recording later?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Dravs posted:

This is key. For Americans, Boris currently holds an equivalent amount of power as Chuck Schumer does.

Does this means if he asks to disband parliament again, the queen has to say no?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Wow did they find a way to reject May's deal for the 8th time?

Maybe it'll become a parliamentary tradition. Every new PM brings May's deal up for a vote so it can be rejected by increasingly large margins.

If it actually passes, then it can be assumed that they don't command a majority.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

oh god, it's exactly what I expected it to be. A bunch of incredibly old losers slowly falling asleep.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

BMX Ninja posted:

I'm sure it would have been up for serious consideration if the DUP hadn't been propping up the Tories for the past few years.

Even then, that pesky Good Friday Agreement would have reared its head. It's an international legally binding agreement that states that the sovereignty of NI can only be determined by the people of the island of Ireland. The Republic of Ireland withdrew its constitutional claim over the territory and the UK repealed the Act that established sovereignty over NI.

Having said that, if we end up with a lunatic fringe Tory/Brexit Party coalition, they could try to tear the Agreement up and kick NI out of the Union. It would be utterly mental, but we are living in the stupidest possible timeline...

Aren't the people in the RoI pretty heavily in favor of reunification?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

oliwan posted:

Why is it so difficult for americans to understand the ceremonial role of the monarchy

We keep being distracted by the fact that you still have an entirely unguillotined monarch in TYoOL 2019, complete with a set of equally unguillotined lords who apparently have actual loving power

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Olympic Mathlete posted:

One of the tory lads has knocked up this and handed it out to press and not realised the logo is actually cool as gently caress.

look at the state of that chicken too.

lmao, they couldn't even bother to go get some actual KFC.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Gonna be rough considering I'm pretty sure that Bercow was the only one who really had a handle on what the gently caress was actually going on.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

frankenfreak posted:

The Prime Minister of the UK haven to be mentored by the Irish PM is also a good sneaky slam.

Yeah, I feel like that's more insulting if anything.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

prefect posted:

Sure, but the Democrats are gutless cowards and will certainly fold like the useless shits they are.

It doesn't help that due to the UK having to pretty much beg for any deal they can get, the deal would probably be almost exploitatively good from the perspective of America.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Addamere posted:

The U.S. has a similar, but much less impressively large, cudgel in our legislature.

that's just a nice antique though, not literally the source of all congressional authority.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Preston Waters posted:

how the gently caress

I'm guessing that's not possible?

I'm guessing about as possible as dismantling Mt Everest rock by rock; theoretically possible, but good luck actually doing it.

It'd be interesting to see the math on how deep the channel would be and how much it would cost, though...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Can someone please just lob a milkshake at him and be done with it?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Barry Foster posted:

Naw he's not actually done anything criminal

Is parliament still allowed to do that thing where they just decide someone is guilty and sentence them?

Sounds useful right about now...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

GABA ghoul posted:

no-deal is out.

Let's not count our (adequate) chickens here, considering that no deal still hasn't actually been averted...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

marktheando posted:

To be more specific on the reason Alan Sugar became Lord Sugar, labour prime minister gordon brown thought it would be a great idea to appoint the man from tv's The Apprentice to be a government 'enterprise champion' in the house of lords.

Not only is there a lord sugar, he's Brown's Sugar.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'm just gonna assume that Monster Munch tastes like dried dog poo poo, just like every other British snack I've had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

you eat a lot of dried dog poo poo, do you

Well, yes, I'm American.