Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

anime was right posted:

oh yeah he def energized his base

Now watch the blairites redouble their efforts to oust him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

remember when Arkane showed up? come back Arkane.

Here, this is how you do it:

"Charter schools are naked scams engineered to steal public education money from the disadvantaged."

"Climate change is real, and primarily human-caused."

"Jon Huntsman is a weenie."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Taco Duck posted:

What the gently caress is a Plaid Cymru?

More evidence that Welsh isn't so much an actual language as it is an elaborate practical joke played on the English over centuries.

And yeah, hilarious to see fuckin' Clegg go down.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

sexpig by night posted:

what the gently caress is that some kinda cheese

No, but it does involve a similar amount of fermentation and mold.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Several years ago I delivered a conference paper on Britain in the interwar period and believe me it was hard to keep my inner 14-year-old under control given how many times I had to say "Bonar" in front of other academics.

heh, "boner," heh

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Boner's Law - The only way to serve for less time as a PM than Bonar Law is if you thoroughly gently caress yourself for no reason.

Theresa May: On track for being PM for less time (and less effectively) than a man who was literally dying when he got the job.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

how is may still the leader of the party

Speculating idly, I'd suspect that no one else who's competent enough actually wants to inherit this trainwreck, and the most likely incompetent possibility is fuckin' Boris of all people.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Think how different history would've been if David Cameron hadn't hosed that pig.

But would David Cameron be David Cameron if he hadn't hosed that pig, really?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

amazing, ain't it? it's like a racist fascist going to a southern US college campus and condemning both football AND jesus

I remain perplexed and amazed he did that and managed to get out without being physically torn to shreds.

PostNouveau posted:

What happens if no one can get the numbers to form a government?

Another round of elections.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

pathetic little tramp posted:

So is May's bungled election going to actually re-ignite the Troubles?

Sure, why not.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

bump_fn posted:

mods fix thread name to "Goodwin ate the book" pls

Done.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Goddamn, did Richard Hammond have another horrific crash? Surely he'll quit this time.

Yes, and no, respectively.

I mean, I'm just guessing on that second one, but it'd surprise me if he did.

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 22:43 on Jun 10, 2017

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Get that boy his goddamn eggs already.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jose posted:

May loves austerity and taking free lunches away from kids was in the manifesto. again they're at different starting points because america is an insane place where kids don't even get lunch in places

In a bit to relaunch her political brand, Hillary Clinton today issued a press statement urging the Democratic Party to avoid any moves toward subsidizing childhood nutrition, stating "that sandwich is never, ever going to happen."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Digiwizzard posted:

Large swathes of Canada now heavily irradiated from uncontrolled Baloogan meltdown

You should see the series of incoherent, raving PMs he's sent me so far.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Baloogan is good. Try not to drink yourself to death.

He needs to slow his roll sometimes.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Terror Sweat posted:

Liquor comes in 40 oz in Canada, as well as 60 oz and 26 oz

A commonwealth nation who fail to use he own metric measurements, a shameful commonwealth nation.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

deadgoon posted:

didn't baloogan once rant about how the 60m sewer pipes are only 60m on paper because they're actually still 200feet or something

Probably. He rants about a lot of things.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

rudatron posted:

GAMBLE THAT BACKFIRED +++ HUMILIATION FOR LOSER 'LOOGS

Hahaha now he's sending incoherent rants about how my calling his previous rants incoherent was inaccurate.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nonsense posted:

did john oliver seriously praise Theresa May after her catastrophic election?

I don't think it rises to the level of praise, but he was surprisingly sympathetic.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

*A NEW CHALLENGER HAS ENTERED THE RING*

"Watch out, Jam Wizard, I'm coming for you!" - A man who never goes outdoors because Muslims scare him that much.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SunAndSpring posted:

Lmfao, what's he gonna do, buy up all the jam in his local market and throw it away to "own" Corbyn?

That would involve going outside, so no.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Gum posted:

https://twitter.com/labourlewis/status/874707522573217792

For the Americans- Enoch Powell was the Farage/Trump of his day

Further, his most memorable speech included this, in regards to the existence of immigration in any form, really:

quote:

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding. Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood". That tragic and intractable phenomenon which we watch with horror on the other side of the Atlantic but which there is interwoven with the history and existence of the States itself, is coming upon us here by our own volition and our own neglect. Indeed, it has all but come. In numerical terms, it will be of American proportions long before the end of the century. Only resolute and urgent action will avert it even now. Whether there will be the public will to demand and obtain that action, I do not know. All I know is that to see, and not to speak, would be the great betrayal.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Aliquid posted:

why are parachuting candidates so common in the UK?

Personal connection to a given district is less important compared to the US model.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Agnosticnixie posted:

Anglo-canadians are way, way worse than the english about the royal family in general.

See also: Baloogan.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

what if they had sent Camilla to visit the victims instead?

Bolshevik revolution.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Baloogan posted:

what thats normal shorthand for her on the monarchy reddit

I'd be less contemptuous if you said you'd seen it crudely spray painted on a derelict bathroom wall.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

KomradeX posted:

I always said the day her and Castro are gone, that's the end of days. guess were half way there now

Somewhere in Moscow, the aged former General Secretary looks down at a yellowing notepad with the names "Ronald," "Margaret," "John Paul," and "Fidel" already crossed out, and begins to smile as he sees "Elizabeth" next in line.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

While I wholeheartedly agree that May should be cast out of office and, preferably, directly into an overflowing dumpster, it's still not the best idea to slag on her with gendered slurs.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

radical meme posted:

Question(s), how much of this election was a backlash against Brexit; did Brexit adversely affect young people more than other demographics?

If it did affect younger people more, how?

An awful lot of younger people were counting on having EU citizenship for the purposes of their continuing education and/or future careers, which got pulled out from underneath them.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

UHD posted:

am I bad for laughing

No.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Yes, unfortunately.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Is this still a thing people get called in Britain? I thought it'd died out during/after the second world war.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

is tubbalard more common in your neck of the woods

It's not just a fatass thing, I've always understood calling someone a blimp was in early 20th century parlance to accuse them of being a thickheaded militarist who revels in jingoism and in not thinking about things (thus perhaps why Brutalist McDonalds used the term) who Orwell bangs on about in several of his books.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Zikan posted:

*david davis opens briefcase, its filled with lad's magazines and questionable herbal supplements*

"poo poo I grabbed BoJo's briefcase"

A bit generous to Boris don't you think, presuming he's actually literate?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Bryter posted:

They should send the DUP to negotiate, clearly

Remind me, is headbutting allowed at these talks?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

MikeCrotch posted:

A bunch of brit goons were explaining the concept of the TV License while playing EVE, the reaction of yanks to the fact we have a TV tax is always amazing

You should see how we freak out whenever a Canadian mentions how they sell milk in bags up there.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Hahaha, the tories have banned Grenfell survivors from attending their meetings on the disaster, what a loving pack of myopic dipshits.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nonsense posted:

there is something much deeper going on, and if there isn't the tories aren't doing a great job of convincing people otherwise

I think it's that their flailing morons who don't know how to do anything really.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

The stones on that rear end in a top hat, claiming that they can't have an open discussion if anyone else is allowed to speak or even be in the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

silvergoose posted:

The same guy who was saying "we're canceling this meeting because the public is going to get to hear about it"?

Yep. May turned on him, not that I suspect he could have survived had she not.

quote:

Downing Street has condemned Kensington and Chelsea council for closing down its first cabinet meeting since the Grenfell Tower fire after failing to have the media barred from it.

A No 10 spokeswoman said the prime minister “would have expected the council to respect” a high court ruling that said journalists should be allowed to attend the meeting.

At the meeting, Paget-Brown made a statement about the council’s response to the fire, in which at least 80 people died, including a partial apology.

He then adjourned the meeting, saying journalists’ presence could prejudice the public inquiry. It is not clear how this could prejudice the inquiry, as it will be led by Sir Martin Moore-Bick, a retired appeal court judge, rather than a jury.