Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I think in less than 2 months the world will be subjected to the spectacle of a rich and elegant old woman stepping on a political party's throat with her expensive high heels and killing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Jeremy Corbyn or any other pro-russian anti-western mad dog becoming the leader of a country as important as Britain would be a terrible calamity.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Hopefully britain can learn some lessons from france:

"Macron’s ascendency could encourage those in Britain who would like to see another path open up. One that would help counter the kind of narrative deployed by May; one that could soften Brexit. A left-leaning Labour offers little solace in that regard. The best antidote seems to be a confident centre, one built on pragmatic, moral, optimistic beliefs, and, as we see in France, rich in potential. If Macron prevails on 7 May, the immediate effect of his centre revolution will probably be felt in France. But its most important effect should be to galvanise like minds abroad, and certainly here."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/28/macron-rise-extremism-not-inevitable-le-pen-france

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Related:

https://twitter.com/YeshAtidEng/status/855436865142390785

Macron is a big test. And I see comparisons between him and Hillary, but I dunno. Hillary seemed to have run to the left, however much goons will violently resist that characterization. Or maybe she was just all over the place. These other centrists seem to be different ... uhh... somehow.

Uhhhh

gently caress if I know

Centrism being what defeats Netanyahu would be so indescribably wonderful.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I worry for britain since it seems as though it may be becoming a racist and anti-immigrant country.

If this is true, then the labour party and all progressive forces will have to make a hard choice between on the one hand giving up some level of righteous purity, and on the other, giving the tories, the racists, and the nativists a blank check to run the country any way they want, without reservations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

whomupclicklike posted:

Is it not already?

It probably is but it's too early to tell.

If it's true, then labour will have to become an anti-immigrant party if it wants to accomplish anything.

If they aren't willing to make that sort of compromise with themselves, then the NHS, workers' rights, and all that they cherish could be lost.

It's not an enviable position to be in.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Mycroft Holmes posted:

there's one thing that gives me solace in these trump filled times, and that's that no matter how bad it is here in the us, it's worse in the uk. schadenfreude sustains me.

Yeah we have the moral high ground since trump only got in on a technicality, the American people were wise and picked Hillary by a big margin, but the brits legit voted for brexit.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Nonsense posted:

SNP are probably bad because the Scots are just going to keep refusing to leave the UK.

Yeah "scotland the brave" is some particularly lovely joke.

In shocking news: the arrogant jackass jeremy corbyn has again refused to resign after leading his party to disaster in a major election.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
He still refuses to resign, disgraceful.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

we wanted a slightly left of centre candidate but instead of we got a pile of turds in a lenin cap

Quite literally

hakimashou has issued a correction as of 03:10 on May 6, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Baloogan posted:

hes power hungry just like everyone else
and lol his party leadership is trying to coup him, why NOT gently caress them up as much as possible?

Yeah his term of party leadership since the brexit vote has had as its only real accomplishment "clinging desperately to power."

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Baloogan posted:

if he wanted to help labor he would have stepped down during the coup

more power to him if he wants to crash the party of blair into the ground lol

He should have stepped down when David Cameron did, immediately after the brexit referendum went the way it did. As leaders, he and Cameron both had a responsibility to guide their people away from that decision, and failing to do it meant they had both failed as leaders.

The coup/leadership challenge was a response to him not doing the right thing.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

david cameron wanted to be in the EU more than corbyn

Corbyn's heart not being in it was no excuse. He was leader of the labour party, when he accepted the role he accepted serious responsibilities.

Losing the referendum and clinging on to power was untenable, but he did it anyway and now the labour party is where it is.

The corbynista / green party / far left types who went mad for corbyn believed, perhaps rightly, that this was their One Big Shot, and couldn't accept that the events of the brexit, something they didn't mean to stake their future on, would put a premature end to it all.

I think many ended up with the delusion that simply clinging onto power in the party was enough, that eventually labour would 'get its turn' and then, by virtue of having dug in deeply and clung on strongly enough, they would get to be in power by default.

Others had convinced themselves that Ed Miliband and Gordon Brown had lost because centrism was unpopular, and leftism was secretly what people really wanted.

This argument will be demolished if Corbyn does worse than miliband did two years ago.

I bet they'll find some other excuse though.

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride. But it looks like the labour party is going to be hoofing it for a while.

hakimashou has issued a correction as of 03:23 on May 6, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Being a suit wearing half-Tory wasn't either.

We'll see in about a month's time.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
You know who won a whole mess of elections and beat the tories every single time?

Tony Blair

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Perhaps it's nothing but Blairs, Trudeaux, and Obamas from here on out and we should just get used to it.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i dunno i reckon a blairite that didn't look like wallace from wallace & gromit would have done fine against the may

Yeah miliband had a problem that was separate from any policy, his goofy gumpy looking face. I remember 2 years ago watching the leaders' debates and he would just stare directly into the camera with his eyes all big and googly to 'directly address the viewer' and it made your skin crawl.

T May on the other hand has a real visage. She looks like she should be prime minister. She always looks very alert and earnest and capable and formidable.

Whereas corbyn never stood a chance in hell, even an outside chance, because he looks like a shambolic communist held-over from the 1960s.

hakimashou has issued a correction as of 22:04 on May 6, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You think the prime minister should look like a Skeksis?

Yes

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Homeless Friend posted:

it's june 8th iirc

It was made inevitable the day Jeremy Corbyn refused to resign after the brexit referendum.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Vox Nihili posted:

Most of this isn't really true. Yes, at first they would not be considered creditworthy, but nations have survived defaults. Look at Argentina, which discharged most of its debt in the period from 2002-2010:

Here is Argentina's GDP growth during that period:

Here's Greece's GDP under extreme austerity measures:

Meanwhile, they're treading water on the debt, which is absolutely unsustainable and will require future restructurings to massage as much money out of the country as possible:

Greece is a sovereign nation. Whether they would actually be kicked out of the EU is not clear; nor is the currency question clear. What is clear is that they are hosed for the foreseeable future under the German plan.

I think they'd be hosed for quite a while either way, they dug themselves into a deep hole.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Man SA really needs a :neoliberals: emoticon

One of those crazy eyes ones waving things around I think. A red flag in one hand, but what in the other?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If T-May wins i'm thinking about buying one of her magnificent visage for the dnd UK thread.

hakimashou has issued a correction as of 23:49 on May 8, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Concerned Citizen posted:

also corbyn said he won't quit even if labour loses horrifically, so lol labour is doomed forever

DnD will cheer him on.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

rudatron posted:

He campaigned with his party.

Meanwhile UKIP straight up lied about diverting money to the NHS and has been racially dogwhistling about migrants since forever.

Blaming corbyn for brexit is this stupid game where, somehow, the left is guilty of eveeything, even when they're not in power. David Cameron made a dumb pledge and gave the brexit guys their airtime, blame lays on his shoulders if its to lay on anyone.

His sin was not resigning after the brexit referendum.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

rudatron posted:

He acknowledged the legitimate grounds for anti-EU sentiment, but I don't remember him ever saying it was a good thing.

Why? Tories where in power, labor was in opposition, what obligation does the opposition leader have to resign, when a referendum spear headed by the cabinet fails? It was Cameron's baby, not Corbyn's. You may as well demand Corbyn resign because you stubbed your toe or some poo poo.

His position was untenable. He knew going into leadership that the brexit referendum was coming in a year. He was a leader of one of the two major political parties in the UK and he failed, just like cameron did, to lead his people away from the cliff.

All the really ugly poo poo with corbyn has happened post-brexit, and it's happened for a reason. If your position is untenable and you don't do the honorable thing and resign, this is what happens. He bears all the blame himself for desperately clinging on to power like he's done.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

what was the logic there?

Many people believe he's always been a 'leftist brexiter' and deep down doesnt believe in the EU for some outlandish kooky-left 'reasons.'

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Goddamn that Jeremy Corbyn desperately clinging to a position he was elected to twice in a row.

Yup, it's a stain that can never be washed off of him.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
At first when corbyn came on the scene I had no illusions and said picking him would make the labour brits insane fools, hadn't they learned anything from anything?

But then I gave him the benefit of the doubt and bought some of the hype.

After the brexit though, he showed his true colors and since then he's been nothing but self-destructive to any form of progress in britain. Either he is just a shitter, and that's why he refused to step down, or else he's some kind of idiot.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter. He chose to do the wrong thing and it's having big negative consequences for a lot of people, and it makes him a shitbag.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

well i think corbyn is actually good

tory spotted

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Hodgepodge posted:

You keep insisting that Corbyn resigning after Brexit would be the "honorable thing," which I really don't see.

Brexit was Cameron's mess, not his.

He shouldn't have stood for the leadership if he wasn't prepared to take responsibility for what happened.

It's why he's no leader at all, despite what it might say on the door to his office or whether or not he can order three-line whips.

Brexit became the mess of every single british person once the referendum results came in. Cameron and Corbyn were the political leaders of britain and they failed in the most important task in a generation.

hakimashou has issued a correction as of 04:44 on May 9, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Hodgepodge posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's leader of the Labour Party, which is in opposition, not the leader of the government or the effort to oppose Brexit?

Making excuses for him won't change the outcome in June and won't make the last year not have happened.

Labour became a shitshow after he refused to resign and it is still a shitshow now. That was the turning point.

I know it sucks and its unfair that cameron's brexit ref spoiled the leftist renaissance or whatever, but the brexit is spoiling a lot of things, and that's just the way it is.

Corbyn's position became untenable after he failed to lead his half of the electorate away from the brexit cliff. So did cameron's, but cameron resigned like he should have.

The brexit ref was like a general election, but much more important, and both major parties lost. When you lose a general election you resign.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Hodgepodge posted:

Except it wasn't a general election, it was a referendum called by the government. Which was their bad decision and their responsibility.

It seems to me that one would really have to be desperate to tie the opposition to a failure in order to decide that they're responsible for the governing party's mistakes.

I get that you want the guy gone because he's a bad leader, but that doesn't make Brexit a referendum on Corbyn.

E: A quick look tells me that his position was a pretty reluctant no on Brexit, and his own supporters opposed this because they shared longstanding criticisms of the EU with him. And his no position had to be careful to distance itself from the Tory position on the EU. Honestly, looking at that and coming away with the idea that he should resign over the outcome strikes me as a line of bullshit.

Enjoy June 8th I guess.

Corbyn was leader of the labour party, he failed to convince his half of the electorate not to vote for brexit, he failed as a leader.

He's been a failed leader ever since.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Concerned Citizen posted:

labour's base was overwhelmingly for remain. the difference between bernie and corbyn is that corbyn is only 1 point more popular than donald trump, and widely disliked by his own party. so i think maybe corbyn might be the one who isn't really anywhere near his base

The problem is, what is labour's base?

There's the Party Member people who pay money to get to vote for the leader and call themselves "members of the labour party", and then there's the electorate, the people who vote for labour in elections and whose support the labour party can't win elections without.

The Party Member types love corbyn, but labour's actual voting base without whom they can never win an election don't seem to care much for him at all, so you get the result you got a few days ago, his abysmal polling, and most likely, a bloodbath in June.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Nanomashoes posted:

The british press is terrible and sucks Tory dick every day. There will never be a labor leader that they like until their lives are being threatened by the mass communist uprising. If this is your standard for a bad leader then Labor will have to have a new election every week as the press slams each new sequential leader until the people wind up voting Cameron in for labor leader or somthing.

“Politicians who complain about the press are like sailors complaining about the sea”

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Homeless Friend posted:

also I can't be the only person who is always amazed at the sexual aspect of British politics right, like I dunno if it's different brand of conservatism but british conservatives really seem to kick it up a notch. Our sexual scandals & poo poo seem bland by comparison. You got big names /w posters of magaret thatcher about their bed for their entire childhood, ppl fuckin pigs, dominatrix may. What the hell is goin on over there. Our rapers n pedos or w/e seem milquetoast in comparison

He's a real member of the house of lords, that's a real prostitute's bra, and its real cocaine he's railing there on the front page of the newspaper.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

jBrereton posted:

The level of contempt for the public by the remain campaign was pretty out there.

Like the Leave campaign were utter shysters but that was to be expected; getting the big four accounting firms, all of which should be jailed en masse, to produce a report that says it'll cost everyone £4310 per family in terms of lost GDP in a way that in no way addresses the loss of income by public + private wage restraint relative to GDP growth for the last decade was a particularly loving stupid decision imo

The brexit-voting british public is literally contemptible though isnt it?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Jose posted:

hamprince probably wants blair back in power for another war in the middle east

Blair is better than any tory and its disgracefully stupid that the labour party has turned on him.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

logikv9 posted:

restore the power of the monarchy

For real, democracy is not turning out well for the Benighted Isles. They're using it to do self-harm and it should be taken away for their own good.

Look at the last couple years of british history and ask "could the queen and her family really have done any worse?"

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Fiction posted:

blair is why you dumbasses have an unimpeachable tory majority

You misspelled "corbyn"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

get that OUT of my face posted:

what the gently caress is with british people in positions of power and pedophilia? this former soccer coach has over 40 cases of child rape, that shouldn't be possible

Why did they do brexit? Why do they like corbyn? Britain's a hosed up weird gross place.