Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hillary 2020 posted:

The great thing is that you can use these posters over and over again for a massive savings

Have they just become a permanent part of the landscape in the UK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is this guy typical for the British royal family or an outlier?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I heard that calling someone a oval office is like saying hello though?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It didn't occur to me that he was a person who would drive himself.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So same as the US, low turnout = conservatives win?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Raccooon posted:

Lol y’all went out in high turnout to vote for Boris?!
Yeah, when I went to bed everyone was talking about how they had to line up when they had never had to line up before and stuff like that, and this is the result?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess I'm still confused about Corbyn. Did his party choose him as their leader? Or did he choose them as his party and there was nothing they could do?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If he's hated so much, why didn't he quit before the election?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
That map is nuts. It looks like for England if you live within 50 feet of someone else you voted Labor and if you don't you voted Conservative.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does this big new majority just make a no deal Brexit more likely? Or could they pass some kind of new deal that the EU would agree with that they couldn't before?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

IWW Online Branch posted:

So when do you think the day will be when we hear a person speak with a British accent for the last time? I'm going to guess sometime in the 2040s.
I guess the serious response is even when the UK loses all influence in the world, it doesn't mean people will stop using that accent. It just means it won't be recorded in anything other than local media.

Same with American accents eventually, and then English as a whole.

Edit: Latin was the language of state and education for hundreds of years after the fall of the Roman empire though, so we've got some time.

Samurai Sanders has issued a correction as of 11:40 on Dec 13, 2019

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Svensken posted:

Looking forward to Brexit meaning the dissolution of the UK.
It would make things simpler to understand when studying about them in American schools, that's for sure.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I knew the royal family had various problems but I didn't know that hardcore drug abuse was one of them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
As a linguist the term Megxit is interesting to me because it unintentionally forces Americans into pronouncing Brexit the British way for the joke to work.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Private Speech posted:

how do you Americans pronounce it FFS
It's about the voicing on the x, same as the difference with "exit". The "g" in Meghan is obviously voiced so it has to be that way.

Edit: I can't speak for all Americans ever, of course.

Samurai Sanders has issued a correction as of 05:19 on Jan 14, 2020

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is Brexit really going to happen at the end of the month without any major opposition?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is this for real happening? Like, for real real? They're not going to call it off in 3 and a half days for some reason?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

AnoHito posted:

English corned beef refers to an entirely different meat than American corned beef, iirc.
English corned beef isn't beef?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does the UK feel different now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
47 years. Anyone less than 47 has never experienced a Britain away from the EU. They will soon enough I guess.