Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

The only other Vigolando I've seen is Parallel Monsters, which manages a few similarly stellar dark visual gags even though it's much shorter and a weaker movie on the whole. Is he always this on point as far as comedic craft?

Oh boy. See Timecrimes. It's fantastic.

I saw Colossal over the weekend and I was not expecting the movie I got. I loved it, even though it was different than what I expected. The person I saw it with, going only by what I told her it was about based on the trailer, definitely did not love it, however.

Massive spoilers below.

I only saw the first trailer and new it was by Nacho Vigalondo, so I went in mostly blind on purpose. The moments that were the coolest for me were when he showed that a giant robot joined her, because I just wasn't expecting it at all (not sure if it was in any of the previews) and when Hathaway slapped Sudeikis and everyone in the world cheered. Those moments played with the premises in ways that I didn't expect, and I was really digging it.

When the movie changed to be more about an emotionally abusive relationship I didn't really know how to react, to be honest. It was hard to watch (which is a good thing) and they managed to hit all the right beats. When he bought her the furniture and apologized and said that it was just because he was drunk I knew it was not the end of his behavior, and was left wondering how the hell they were going to resolve everything.

I do think the resolution felt a bit strange with her deciding to go to Korea and hoping that the monster thing worked both ways. It felt like there was a scene cut, and to me that scene would have been during the flashback of her remembering that when she was a kid and the skies turned dark and opened up. I feel like there should have been a gigantic doll bent down and towering over her. The same doll that the little girl dropped in Korea all those years ago.

This would have given her the idea that the phenomenon goes both ways. As it stands now, she just looks at a chart on the wall and decides to go to Korea. It wasn't that it didn't work as it was, it's just a strange leap of logic to make.

That said, when thinking about where they were going with everything, I half expected her to just shoot him or bring a weapon, or for one of the other two guys to intervene and I'm very glad it didn't go that route.

I agree that Sudeikis did a fantastic job, the movie definitely hinged on him.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I edited my other post to include my thoughts in an attempt not to double post, but it turns out people posted after me, so whatever. Timecrimes is a very different movie than Colossal. What they have in common is a sense of dark humor and mystery inherent in av unusual sci-fi premise.

I haven't seen Open Windows or the third VHS movie yet but I'm gonna take a crack at them soon.

EDIT: I would also be really interested in hearing some film reviewers from South Korea's opinions on this.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 19, 2017

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
On the other hand, I watched Timecrimes first and thought Triangle was pretty mediocre in comparison.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay, so paid, professional film criticism is dying a slow and painful death, and yet, Rex Reed is still getting work.

The way I read his review, it seemed like he didn't actually make the connection that they didn't just "Identify" with the monster, but were literally controlling them. It just seems like he was asleep for the movie or something. The way he described the plot just doesn't really make sense, at all.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

precision posted:

Also, you know, that review kind of spoils the whole movie, so thanks for that too.

You'd be surprised, I think. There are definite spoilers in there but he gets so much wrong that if you wanted to see it based on that review, then you'd be disappointed.

• Locked thread