Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I didn't like Timecrimes at all but I loved this. It's great magical realism- they don't get hung up on just why this is happening but flesh it out just a little, and the characters are always understandable. The cast is just perfect. You feel like it could have all fallen apart if they didn't have just the right people.

The Drafthouse preshow for this has the director talking about which films he stole from while making this, citing influences from Young Adult to King Kong to Uncle Bonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so paid, professional film criticism is dying a slow and painful death, and yet, Rex Reed is still getting work.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

haha holy poo poo that review is ghastly. "director's name sounds like a mexican dish" jesus christ, get hosed.

Rex Reed has always been more interested in making quips than reviewing. In his review of Repo Man he wrote that Alex Cox "shouldn't be allowed to direct traffic."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
See I think there's a bit of subtle commentary here even if it isn't developed much- the movie is about two Americans who have trouble appreciating the effects their actions are having half a world away. South Korea is being terrorized because of their drama.

Granted SK is a developed nation so it's not quite the third world exploitation analogy it could be, but it is an odd wrinkle.

• Locked thread