Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
The moment you mention in your spoiler is definitely intended to be funny, it's just that the movie does an incredible job of transitioning from slapstick hijinks to pitch-black discomfort comedy as it goes on. What especially rules is that it leans pretty heavily on visual gags delivered through fairly long, fairly static takes in both modes, making the transition seamless in a way where it can often take a few moments to realize exactly what kind of laughter is going on

The only other Vigolando I've seen is Parallel Monsters, which manages a few similarly stellar dark visual gags even though it's much shorter and a weaker movie on the whole. Is he always this on point as far as comedic craft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah to be honest it took me until this year to realize that Timecrimes and Timecop were different movies

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I think the part that rules most is his brief throwaway line of sympathy toward Dan Stevens, confirming that the movie's biggest sin in his eyes was pulling Stevens away from his proper home in middlebrow period fiction

• Locked thread