Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

saw this at Alamo Drafthouse along with a small Q+A from the director. Did not expect to love it this much, the trailers made no indication of the twists and turns therein. Totally echo everyone else's sentiments about the sharp, clever ways it transforms into something else. This was probably the best work Jason Sudeikis ever did and I thought Anne Hathaway was also fantastic. This and Get Out have been my favorite films so far this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

haha holy poo poo that review is ghastly. "director's name sounds like a mexican dish" jesus christ, get hosed.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Pretty much. The film is that on an accelerated timeline because it's about Hathaway as a former alcoholic who (for the bulk of the runtime) is actually just afraid of admitting defeat - that her job sucks and so-on. "If I lose this lovely job, it'll crush my Seoul." Hence the ending, where her really crazy plan is to just quit both jobs and go on a vacation to South Korea.

The point that Soul is specifically Hathaway's Seoul is vital. You can't really flip things the other way around or else you get some nonsense about how 9/11 is a metaphor for a bad relationship or something. As a film about a disaster, it simply doesn't work.

you're reaching so far over a name pun that you might as well be sticking your arms into Seoul

• Locked thread