Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

glam rock hamhock posted:

also I think the hair thing was just about giving Gloria ticks that would be reconizble when she was a monster. I'm not sure if she does the hair thing as the monster but it just generally establishes her as being the type to do that sort of thing which is emphasized more with the head scratching thing

DC Murderverse posted:

also it's where she got struck with lightning the day her and Oliver went into the area that would become the park for the first time and she saw him crushing her project. I think that also has something to do with how spacey she is.

Yeah she did it when she was walking through the park the second time and talking to her boyfriend and she later sees a video of the monster copying her nervous tic on her laptop. Gloria got hit by the lightning on the top of her head, Oscar got hit on his forehead and has a scar there in the present day.

MisterBibs posted:

No, different area of the head. She got lightninged on the top of her head, had nothing to do with the sides of her hair.

She definitely scratches the top of her head as a nervous tic, she has an entire discussion about it with Oscar when she first goes to his bar and how it makes her look like a monkey scratching itself. It was also made really clear in a teaser poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MisterBibs posted:

Reading is a skill. I'm not talking about the nervous tick she has on the top of her head that the movie explains, I'm talking about the nervous tick of her pulling on her hair that is visually repeated, but never paid off.

It indicates that she's nervous and insecure. She also chews her fingernails repeatedly and a bunch of other tics. It's called 'acting'.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The new trailer has a few spoilers that the other trailers managed to avoid so people might want to avoid it if they haven't seen the film yet

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of spoilers, the new Colossal trailer spoils something big from early in the movie.

https://twitter.com/SheIsCOLOSSAL/status/857275730136363008

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If people do want a recent parody of the kaiju genre I can recommend Big Man Japan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRny1wok0Ao

Although I guess most of the people in this thread will have seen it already

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

glam rock hamhock posted:

I didn't take her reaction at the end to mean they she's still the same, just that it's never easy to stay on track and even after she's overcome this major challenge, she still has the day to day challenge of not falling back on old habits whick would be all to easy. I mean after something like she just went through, anyone could use a drink but she knows it isn't that simple for her.

Yeah, alcoholism isn't just something you can conquer and leave in your past and it's done and over, the urge to lapse stays with you for years and even decades. Those demons aren't exorcised, they're just held at bay. There's a reason that former alcoholics celebrate '6 years sober' and '10 years sober' and so on.

• Locked thread