Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Superrodan posted:

When the movie changed to be more about an emotionally abusive relationship I didn't really know how to react, to be honest. It was hard to watch (which is a good thing) and they managed to hit all the right beats. When he bought her the furniture and apologized and said that it was just because he was drunk I knew it was not the end of his behavior, and was left wondering how the hell they were going to resolve everything.

A minor but important distinction to Oscar is he didn't buy her the furniture, he just gave her some of the trash he's literally been hoarding, not because he wants to help her, but because he's literally pushing his baggage on her to 1)make him feel better and 2) pretend he's a nice guy so he can 3)control her

What's more, the movie never explicitly states that she asked Oscar for any of the furniture or favors, he always says she said it when she was drunk and she can't remember (weird plays on drunken consent, as well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Power of Pecota posted:

I thought the bit with the futon pretty heavily implied she never asked him for any of the stuff - he drops an offhand "You could really use a futon in here" that she's unresponsive to, and like a day later he shows up with the futon and acting like she was the one who brought it up to him. I was kind of surprised there wasn't an explicit revelation that he snuck in with the key and deflated the air mattress with how that sequence played out.

He seems to take advantage of self-destructive behavior but unable to actively be destructive: he guilts her to drink, but doesn't force her physically, he steps on mulch because it isn't real to him, he calls out the coke addict but didn't provide the drug just the venue. Popping the mattress would be too assertive for him, that's why his punch and her black eye is the first physical attack and her last straw as a victim.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Lots of reasons: Tokyo the obvious choice and the movie tries to defy expectation; it's more easily identifiable, so it's harder to fake; it's more expensive to film there; South Korea is in the news more; etc.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Pulgasari has one of the most hosed-up productions of any movie I've ever heard of in the history of film.

edit: In case anyone is curious

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
While alcoholism is an undercurrent to the story, I thought they used it as a means of lowering everyone's inhibitions, "liquid confidence". There are less questions asked when the characters have their morales stripped away with booze. It definitely fuels the abuse, but some people stop at the alcohol theme and don't delve further with the abuse because they assume they're abusive because they're alcoholic, not abusive people who use alcohol to grease the wheels.

• Locked thread