Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I saw this, and I am surprised it's universally liked here, because I thought it was rather pointless. At first, I found Hathaway's character interesting because I don't see a lot of movies portraying a haggard alcoholic woman spiraling down, and this didn't either. The guy seems to be the alcoholic, and shes pretty much good and fine person who turned her life around immediately and wasn't struggling with inner demons or anything that battle with addictions are often portrayed as. Alcoholism did not prove to be a big deal.

Some of yall compare her to the cool girl, how so? I only know the term from Gone Girl, and the heroine in that was awesome and had to stoop down because of society. I didn't feel like Hathaway was under any such pressures.

The nice guy thing is valid if you read it that way, but I just saw it as he is the alcoholic, so I was disappointed in the kanji stuff only served to tell a basic domestic violence story, that seems more personal than existential like other people dying, and the alcoholism being superseded by dickhead since childhood guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
Oh, so it's just a change if you aren't happy type deal.

But we don't really see that her present sucks, just that her past isn't as great as as she remembered. And her past is the source of her power/soul. How does that work?

Femur fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 1, 2017

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Riptor posted:

how do we not see that her present sucks? She's unemployed, recently fired, and the movie begins with her boyfriend booting her out of their shared apartment because of her drinking problem

No, it shows her throwing her present away, not that it sucks. You can claim she's a drunk because her present wasn't great, but the film shows a still well groom woman who had social engagements, lived in a nice place, and owned a home. She was maybe ashamed of her job, but that is a comment on her, and there was no indication that getting a job was difficult for her?

That's why I found the 2nd half so jarring, like why? Addiction has barely destroyed her life. But someone earlier pointed out perhaps the old bf was also abusing and trapping her, so the 2nd half was her working all this out.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
But my impression was the alcoholism was causing her to lose it all, not that it sucks and that she needed wholesale change.

I originally read this as her life wasn't bad, just, she thought it should be great, and a visit to the past recalibrates her expectations.

But i guess the theme was that she was stuck, and retreating only made it worse, so just move forward? That is pretty common message of these stories?

• Locked thread