Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

The whole point of the end is that Gloria actually is an impressive human being while Oscar can only feel good when he makes someone else feeling like poo poo. If she was to know with certainty that going to Korea would work then she's just winning by out-muscling him. She doesn't win because she's stronger than him. She wins because she's brave and takes a chance.

The film's finale frames Gloria as a force to be reckoned with in the same way that the kaiju are going as far as the framing her with an almost superhero like silhouette. If we take the kaiju being aspirational figures for scared children and then take the ending being Gloria being done with unimpressive men making her feel lesser than we can take that the Korean girl's doll did manifest in the park that day. It just didn't have to manifest into anything new because Gloria was already there.

You're on crack. Gloria was just as broken at the end as evidenced by the reaction to the beer in the close. It was beautiful with no one really learning anything except "keep running". Stop trying to jam it into your political narratives. :hai:

SpeakSlow fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

"Force to be reckoned with". I frigging hate anti-feminist MRA fucks as much as the next person, but seeing this type of poo poo shoehorned into a review misses the point like a polar opposite of the Rex Reed take. Leave my beautiful, broken toys alone, politics.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004
My apologies then, let me explain myself:

With the broken people flailing about, it's hard to ignore that alcoholism as the drumming back beat of this movie. It drives all of their worst moments. Makes them do things they wouldn't have done if they'd had an emotional presence that wasn't being actively medicated. The movie rides out on that bit. It's important.

With that as preface, what we have are people behaving terribly to each other. Preying on one another. I think we've all had this experience, watching a series of car crashes in slow motion. If there's anything that is the underlying theme in their personal lives, it's that Oscar and Gloria refuse to take responsibility for themselves. Right to the bitter end. Of course it ended with her crushing him with a Kaiju. That's the only way it could end. You need to nuke that poo poo.

Back to my point, that poo poo ain't something I'd raise my daughter to be. So I'd be a damned fool if I called it "empowerment" when I know those broken bastards in real life.

Great movie. Sudekis is my new boyfriend.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think part of your original response was because some of the language I used sort of hinted at Gloria being a role model which wasn't really my intent. The film does purposefully film her like a superhero and provide audio and visual cues that make her comparable to the kaiju.

I get and appreciate the experience you're bringing to the film, but I don't think you're read totally meshes up. I think outside of the kaiju stuff or even the gender politics, Colossal is a bait and switch on indie comedy cliches. It presents itself as a story about a woman stuck in childhood who needs to grow up, but that's not really true. Gloria was by all accounts successful and talented. Like I said, it's a fall from grace. One thing that I think that's mostly been ignored is that she is in the reality of the film really, really smart. The art project we see when she was a kid kind of indicates that her talents weren't just writing, but really how she navigates the plots portrays this tragedy of wasted genius. I mean the fact that she is able to catch him in the end with such precision is loving amazing. And it's not just fairy tale logic. We literally see her figure out insane proportional reasoning while facing off against a giant robot. For me, it's a story about reclaiming greatness. I think for you, your read on the film has Oscar and Gloria being two sides of the same coin, and I really can't agree with that.

I get your point, however it's also explicit in the movie that she was leading him on by instinct from her party life. Relinquishing of responsibility in the haze of alcohol. Then the scene where she literally cemented her place, she undercuts her self by getting drunk and using that as an excuse to sleep with McHandsome. That's her thread.

Oscar, however, is a completely different kind of broken. An emotional predator who uses a friendly demeanor to reel people in and then preys on other's weaknesses to thrive. True sociopath and I tend to agree with the reviews that point-out the emotional similarities to our friend Patrick Bateman.

Bring the metaphor back towards Kaiju. Two massive, self-absorbed egos clashing, with the literal sound of whole world cheering in the background. Trauma through emotional terrorism, exemplified by a literal line in the sand moment. Then the lighting of the gigantic gently caress-all roman candle of doom in his own bar to show how much control he had over Gloria. Lines blur as the stakes get higher and higher. And it was only by running away that she allowed herself a win.

And then there's the bottle and an "....eh, why not?" and we're going forward with a sequel. Romantic Kaiju Thriller, genres melted all together like a nice fondu. With chunks and alcoholism

In conclusion, get the s'more dessert at the fondu restaurant.

SpeakSlow fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 9, 2017

• Locked thread