Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

The Management posted:

watching thread jump off the rails and into an active volcano
with stymie at the wheel, ofc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Stymie posted:

i dunno, gosh maybe a stable balance between urban sprawl that wrecks the environment and teeters on a knife edge of sustainability and the hyper isolated suburban sprawl that keeps people driving everywhere and speaking to nobody

maybe some sort of... communal living... where resources are shared and people aid each other mutually...

some sort of communal-ism

Won't happen in this country it'll either be suburbs in the middle of nowhere or a small house in a crime ridden city until a nuke wipes the slate clean

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

real cities are good, american "cities" are bad

(treating houston as extremely representative of american cities)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

houston is great, as long as you don't mind the humidity

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

akadajet posted:

houston is great, as long as you don't mind the humidity

lmao

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Stymie posted:

on the other hand, cities are environmentally catastrophic and utterly unsustainable

actually, cities are the most environmentally sustainable way of life unless you want to kill 95% of people

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

blowfish posted:

you want to kill 95% of people

he pines for the return of a labour based society, this is implicit

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
if the car is doing the driving, does it still count as road head?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Iridium posted:

if the car is doing the driving, does it still count as road head?

"why do you have to wipe your mouth off every time you get out of your car, Travis? you got a dick in that thing?"

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
really disrupts the gas, grass, or rear end economy tbh.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

blowfish posted:

actually, cities are the most environmentally sustainable way of life unless you want to kill 95% of people

lol objectively untrue but let's keep pretending otherwise because otherwise you might have to give up some luxuries, the worst crime of all

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Stymie posted:

lol objectively untrue but let's keep pretending otherwise because otherwise you might have to give up some luxuries, the worst crime of all

lol objectively true because retard levels of land use and everyone commuting by car 2x5 times a week are worse for the environment

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

the most unnecessarily luxurious lifestyle in terms of destroying the planet is owning a country home with a giant lot, the second most unnecessarily luxurious lifestyle is owning a poo poo-tier suburban mcmansion

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the solution is clearly small communal societies organized around agriculture, like all those wildly successful ones in the 60s and 70s

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
dont own property?

rule 36, bitch

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

infernal machines posted:

the solution is clearly small communal societies organized around agriculture, like all those wildly successful ones in the 60s and 70s

please scroll back and click the links instead of sounding like an idiot

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol. take it to dnd you nerd

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

please read my extensively sourced wikipedia pages before deigning to comment, lest you appear an ignoramus

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

lol. take it to dnd you nerd

i see that you've resorted to ad hominem attacks. since you have obviously run out of your own logic and arguments i will have to assume myself the victor in this one-sided battle of wits.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

morel ike battle of twits

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

blowfish posted:

the most unnecessarily luxurious lifestyle in terms of destroying the planet is owning a country home with a giant lot, the second most unnecessarily luxurious lifestyle is owning a poo poo-tier suburban mcmansion

incorrect, living in a solid concrete hellscape with tens of millions of people crammed into a tiny footprint flushing millions of gallons of waste into the ocean all at once coupled with having to ship food and other resources over vast distances to keep them lurching along for another month is vastly more destructive

again if you bothered to read or had a brain i agreed that suburbanism is destructive and going full agrarian isn't the answer either, but let's stop pretending that urbanism is anything other than parasitic, destructive and increasingly unsustainable in the face of climate change

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

blowfish posted:

lol objectively true because retard levels of land use and everyone commuting by car 2x5 times a week are worse for the environment

this, cities may be dirty and crime ridden, but at least they're efficient

where as living in a rural shithole means new infrastructure has to be built to reach your tiny town, larger swaths of land gets encroached, and overall just costs more money to get supplies out to less people

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

he pines for the return of a labour based society, this is implicit

i just want to circle back around to this one

hahahaha "oh no, if i have to work a job where i actually have to do labor i will LITERALLY DIE"

jesus christ it's actual work where you might break a sweat not a death sentence

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

computer touching is the most noble profession, as a few keystrokes from the mind of a genius can change a nation and dare i say it, even the world

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

My Linux Rig posted:

this, cities may be dirty and crime ridden, but at least they're efficient

where as living in a rural shithole means new infrastructure has to be built to reach your tiny town, larger swaths of land gets encroached, and overall just costs more money to get supplies out to less people

lol cities have globe-spanning, intricate networks of infrastructure and literally alter the climate by their mere presence, in addition to the other vast, irreversable environmental damages that their existence necessitates

"things would sure be efficient if we just paved everything whoops looks like the sea level rose, sorry millions of people"

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
cities are marvelous pioneers in cost savings and efficiency

for instance, just look to the NYC subway system for a clean, sustainable model to aspire to.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

mishaq posted:

computer touching is the most noble profession, as a few keystrokes from the mind of a genius can change a nation and dare i say it, even the world

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Stymie posted:

i just want to circle back around to this one

hahahaha "oh no, if i have to work a job where i actually have to do labor i will LITERALLY DIE"

jesus christ it's actual work where you might break a sweat not a death sentence

not "i" will literally die. billions of people will literally die as they only live by the grace of modern technological efficiencies in farming

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if your model for an ideal society is post-plague europe, that's cool and all, but accept the consequences

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

itt heavy duty stymieing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

only the most egalitarian famine

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

not "i" will literally die. billions of people will literally die as they only live by the grace of modern technological efficiencies in farming

quit being reverse stymie and clink the links

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why don't you tl;dr it for me, the layperson, and explain why this time the principles of social anarchism will magically not only function effectively for the first time in history, but also scale to larger societal groups?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hahaha yep if we don't have an entire unproductive sector of the economy finding better, more efficient ways to code fart apps and siphon wealth out of the pockets of the workers, we will see mass starvation

get over yourself, engineering is not programming and programming is near-universally worthless

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

why don't you tl;dr it for me, the layperson, and explain why this time the principles of social anarchism will magically not only function effectively for the first time in history, but also scale to larger societal groups?

the entire point is distributed, decentralized communities

try clicking the links you lazy bum

edit: and though communalism is derived from social anarchism, it's explicitly not anarchism

it seems to be working okay in Rojava, or at least it will until Erdogan figures out how to get his post-purge army to roll down and crush it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

programmers are overpaid typists, you'll get no argument from me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cars that drive themselfs, or why we should look to the shining beacon of war ravaged syria for a vision of a sustainable future

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
basically if you aren't a fully committed Odonian you're wrong and evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stymie posted:

incorrect, living in a solid concrete hellscape with tens of millions of people crammed into a tiny footprint flushing millions of gallons of waste into the ocean all at once coupled with having to ship food and other resources over vast distances to keep them lurching along for another month is vastly more destructive

it's 2017 not 1817, flushing our waste into the ocean is no longer mandatory. we 100% have the capability to build cities that don't wreck water resources. hell, even new york city, with all its gross and terrible infrastructure, doesn't dump its waste in the ocean

also, shipping food and other resources over vast distances isn't as wasteful as you might imagine.

Stymie posted:

basically if you aren't a fully committed Odonian you're wrong and evil

the odonians rely on corvee labor and gigantic earth-sculpting projects just to grow food

• Locked thread