Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Call Me Charlie posted:

The entire thing has leaked. The Vault disc is SOOOOOOO good. Love & Sex (which opens with the same stinger that was used for Possessed[?] live), Katrina's Paper Dolls, We Can gently caress, Electric Intercourse are probably my favorites but there isn't a dud on that disc.

The remaster of the original album isn't bad and the audio with the concert video is on point.

But if you listen to the idiots at the Org, Purple Rain is brickwalled, Vault disc is meh, singles disc is flawed and the DVD is a bootleg VHS rip :jerkbag:

To be fair, going by waveforms at least, that remaster is pretty brickwalled. Obviously, it's going to depend on the listener, but I've never felt like the original master sounded all that bad anyway. Oh and I think the other version of 'The Dance Electric' is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
The Prince org users are complete wankers. If they have a bootleg of something that apparently means that an official version missing 20 years of tape hiss is worthless.

The vault stuff is really good. 'Love and Sex' is fantastic. And the remastering has removed some of the mud that was on the original version, you can definitely hear a little more detail in particular areas.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The ridiculously long version of Computer Blue should have been on the original album.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Actually, I don't see how anyone can listen to the end of 'Let's Go Crazy' and not think it sounds loving dreadful.

'Take Me With You' sounds great though and the rest of the album is fine. It's kind of just inconsequential.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Man, I wish the source for the DVD was higher quality. This is definitely better than the VHS and laserdisc rips I've seen around, and it sounds great, but it looks real rough.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

Man, I wish the source for the DVD was higher quality. This is definitely better than the VHS and laserdisc rips I've seen around, and it sounds great, but it looks real rough.

Yeah I think it's just going to depend on how it was filmed. The rumour was that it was shot on video so it's about as good as it's going to look.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Checked a few places today and they were completely out of the Purple Rain expanded edition or the vinyl. Only the standard 2CD set and picture disc were left. Either this thing is more popular than I expected it to be, or Warners were real stingy with stock.

According to one store they're expecting 12 more copies of the CD+DVD set on Wednesday. Guess I'm waiting. :(

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah I think it's just going to depend on how it was filmed. The rumour was that it was shot on video so it's about as good as it's going to look.

Oh yeah this is definitely video not film. It's got all the color bleeding you would expect from tape. It's a shame they cheaped out then and it's suffering for it now.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The only Prince shows I know that were filmed on actual film is the footage from The Second Coming (5 camera shoot in 16mm - which Prince bought back from the original director) and Sign 'O' The Times (which was filmed at Paisley Park after the real concert footage turned out to be unusable - also 16mm except for the U Got The Look portion)

But the cool thing is that he taped the majority of his shows so there (should be) an insane amount of live footage in the vault.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

The only Prince shows I know that were filmed on actual film is the footage from The Second Coming (5 camera shoot in 16mm - which Prince bought back from the original director) and Sign 'O' The Times (which was filmed at Paisley Park after the real concert footage turned out to be unusable - also 16mm except for the U Got The Look portion)

But the cool thing is that he taped the majority of his shows so there (should be) an insane amount of live footage in the vault.

Hopefully for the later era shows he was using high quality digital instead of tape, so those might be good quality.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Electric Fetus (popular record store here in Minneapolis) has a special thing going on where if you get all the reissued singles you get a discount, plus a limited edition Prince themed bag. I was only planning on getting the picture disc vinyl, but ended up doing that.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Oh god, the Boston 1986 soundboard is in the wild. http://www.princevault.com/index.php?title=03_April_1986

- edit Oh no, the audio isn't anywhere as good as the The Final Parade :qq: It's really rough sounding. If you heard any of Eye Records recent bootlegs, you have an idea of what to expect.

- edit 2 Holy poo poo. The 'St. Paul, punk of the month' chant during 10 minute version Mutiny :laugh: I'm dying. And it's so goddamn funky.

- edit 3 It seems to even out by track 8. Track 1-7 are really rough. The others aren't that bad.

I hope this means that the bootleg Purple Rain Deluxe will be liberated soon.

quote:

Disc One (65’02):
-LinnDrum studio jam | Instrumental studio jam on drum machine, including musical elements and interpolations reminiscent of various songs | 13 October 1982 (uncirculating soundboard recording)
-Rehearsal for the First Avenue 1983 Benefit Concert | July-August 1983 (uncirculating soundboard recording)

Disc Two (68’34):
-Benefit Concert | First Avenue | Minneapolis, MN | USA | 3 August 1983 (uncirculating soundboard recording)

Disc Three (86’):
-Benefit Concert | Santa Monica Civic Auditorium | Santa Monica, CA | USA | 25 February 1985 (uncirculating soundboard recording)
-Funky Rehearsal Jam | USA | Spring 1985 (uncirculating soundboard recording)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 27, 2017

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The Housequake facebook group has some pretty solid criticisms of the Deluxe package. It's only minor, but it is pretty dumb that the opening of 'Erotic City' suffers an audio snafu when the shorter version doesn't. There's nothing stopping them from editing that one second in there just to clean it up a bit. Some of the other issues I've never noticed ('Velvet Kitty Cat' sounds fine to me so that it's a 'lossy' source doesn't bother me all that much and it's entirely possible that's all they had) so I'm not sure how serious they actually are.

It looks like the DVD has an authoring mistake which is why the picture is poo poo. The Fullasoul bootleg is better and clearer.

Anyway, with some distance now I think it's safe to say the set is sort of a mixed bag. I'm not sure why this version of 'The Dance Electric' is included, given that it's an earlier version than the bootleg which is widely circulating. And I think the circulated version is just outright better quality than this one, where the mix all seems to be in the middle. The live version of 'Electric Intercourse' is arguably better than the studio one, but YMMV. 'Fathers Song' seems again to be an earlier version and not the later finished track, which is weird. 'Velvet Kitty Cat' arguably doesn't belong here as it was never really intended for anything around the Purple Rain project anyway and was meant for Vanity 6, but that's just splitting hairs.

'We Can gently caress' is a stone cold classic and vastly better than the later, slower, re-recorded version. It's sensual, sad and sincere all in one package. As far as I'm concerned, the second disc is worth it just for this.

All in all it has some reason highs tempered with some odd choices they've made. I don't know what the story is, but it wouldn't surprise me if Prince just handed these tracks over and told them that was their lot.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

DrVenkman posted:

The Housequake facebook group has some pretty solid criticisms of the Deluxe package. It's only minor, but it is pretty dumb that the opening of 'Erotic City' suffers an audio snafu when the shorter version doesn't. There's nothing stopping them from editing that one second in there just to clean it up a bit. Some of the other issues I've never noticed ('Velvet Kitty Cat' sounds fine to me so that it's a 'lossy' source doesn't bother me all that much and it's entirely possible that's all they had) so I'm not sure how serious they actually are.

It looks like the DVD has an authoring mistake which is why the picture is poo poo. The Fullasoul bootleg is better and clearer.

Anyway, with some distance now I think it's safe to say the set is sort of a mixed bag. I'm not sure why this version of 'The Dance Electric' is included, given that it's an earlier version than the bootleg which is widely circulating. And I think the circulated version is just outright better quality than this one, where the mix all seems to be in the middle. The live version of 'Electric Intercourse' is arguably better than the studio one, but YMMV. 'Fathers Song' seems again to be an earlier version and not the later finished track, which is weird. 'Velvet Kitty Cat' arguably doesn't belong here as it was never really intended for anything around the Purple Rain project anyway and was meant for Vanity 6, but that's just splitting hairs.

'We Can gently caress' is a stone cold classic and vastly better than the later, slower, re-recorded version. It's sensual, sad and sincere all in one package. As far as I'm concerned, the second disc is worth it just for this.

All in all it has some reason highs tempered with some odd choices they've made. I don't know what the story is, but it wouldn't surprise me if Prince just handed these tracks over and told them that was their lot.

In terms of things that could have gone wrong, the flaws on Purple Rain Deluxe seem minor. Especially when you compare it to other artists that had new songs crafted out of old vocals (Michael Jackson/Jim Morrison), had studio musicians touch up tracks (Jimi Hendrix in the 70s), had multiple studio takes edited together into a single new take (Jimi Hendrix - Sony) or had fragments of songs released only to "find" the full version later (Jimi Hendrix in the 90s)

The original release still exists for the original album, only the most obsessive would notice the glitch at the beginning of Erotic City Extended and I almost prefer the uncirculating earlier versions instead of the later versions we already have.

Re: The Dance Electric - It's really interesting to hear vocals I'm sure Prince would have deleted off the final release. It'd kind of like Purple Music where it's just a giant groove instead of what the final Dance Electric morphed into with the screaming guitar. Plus the version we currently have is close in quality to what the official release is. I think a big difference between the two is how the official one has more separation between speakers in the mix while the bootleg seems to have Prince's vox equally in both headphones which gives it a fuller type of sound.

Electric Intercourse - I'm in love with the studio version. It's a completely different beast than the live version. Cool thing is how we should see an official release of The Makings Of Rain eventually.

Father's Song - Is there a different version circulating in the upper echelon of collectors? I haven't heard anything beyond whispers of people having the full thing before this release.

We Can gently caress - It's crazy how catchy Wendy & Lisa's vocalization is near the middle of the track. It's so simple but it works perfectly between Prince's pleading. It's weird to think that this evolved into what we had on Box O Chocolate or Graffiti Bridge, even though the front end of the song didn't change that much.

I think alot of the Vault disc makes more sense when you view it as a single piece of work instead of individually looking at the tracks. I had Velvet Kitty Cat way before this was announced and I groaned when I saw it on the tracklist but I think it works pretty well in front of Katrina's Paper Dolls.

If you believe the recent rumors, Warner complied a list of tracks they wanted and had the estate pull them from the vault. Which kind of makes sense when you think that The Glamorous Life, Eggplant and Mia Bocca (Sign O The Times: Deluxe Edition next on the docket?) leaked around the same time that Velvet Kitty Cat/Roadhouse Garden did. My personal speculation...maybe they only sourced from the Paisley Park vault? Prince mentioned there were multiple vaults. It's not too hard to imagine them getting a list from Warner, going downstairs and grabbing the first tape box that had the title/date they were looking for without looking any deeper. That could also explain why Velvet Kitty Cat was lossy sourced if Warner requested it and they couldn't find the original tape.

I'd be more bothered if this was a high price release but $25 is what I would have happily paid for the Vault disc and everything else is bonus to me. (Although I still haven't gotten my hands on a DVD player so the dvd is still a mystery beyond a poor rip I found)

My biggest complaint is with the singles & b-side disc. It'd be so much better if they put the edits first and than the extended versions. As a listening experience, it's terrible to have the same song come on back to back.

Vince MechMahon posted:

The Electric Fetus (popular record store here in Minneapolis) has a special thing going on where if you get all the reissued singles you get a discount, plus a limited edition Prince themed bag. I was only planning on getting the picture disc vinyl, but ended up doing that.

Could you post a picture of the bag when you get it?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I will say that though I think moments of it still sound bad (notably the end of 'Let's Go Crazy' which I have to turn down every time because the drums blow out my headphones) on the whole I'd say the remaster is fine. It might be brickwalled, but it isn't treble-heavy like some brickwalls can be.

I would imagine that some of the songs being live performances might limit just what you can do with it.

Just don't go on Prince.org because I saw someone call the second disc 'unlistenable' which is hilarious.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Could you post a picture of the bag when you get it?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

'Wrecka stow' is the dumbest joke ever, but it's kind of sweet how much Prince loved it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Rainmaker - Reach Out 4 Something New (ugh what a stupid name) is out in the wild. I'm just listening to it now but the LinnDrum studio jam is a bunch of fun. It's basically Prince (or somebody) improv'ing over a drum beat on a synth. (whoa at the 12 minute mark of Dirty Mind somebody comes in on guitar)

Word has it that Disc Two has some type of noise removal on it but I haven't checked it yet.

quote:

Disc One (65’02):
-LinnDrum studio jam | Instrumental studio jam on drum machine, including musical elements and interpolations reminiscent of various songs | 13 October 1982 (uncirculating soundboard recording)
-Rehearsal for the First Avenue 1983 Benefit Concert | July-August 1983 (uncirculating soundboard recording)

Disc Two (68’34):
-Benefit Concert | First Avenue | Minneapolis, MN | USA | 3 August 1983 (uncirculating soundboard recording)

Disc Three (86’):
-Benefit Concert | Santa Monica Civic Auditorium | Santa Monica, CA | USA | 25 February 1985 (uncirculating soundboard recording)
-Funky Rehearsal Jam | USA | Spring 1985 (uncirculating soundboard recording)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 2, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Official Prince Youtube. Happy 7/7/17

https://www.youtube.com/user/prince/videos

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Final double post but Eye just released the prince vocals version of 101.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpkHhcpPBHU

Knowing them that's probably the best thing in their upcoming untitled release but fingers crossed that they have more unheard stuff in that quality.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

More videos have been uploaded to YouTube. Dirty Mind era.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pfft, call me when they put up Bat-Dance.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
From what I could piece together, a group of elite traders/collectors got mad at one of their own for selling tracks to Eye Records and they've been releasing songs as a gently caress you.

So far we've gotten:

- 101 http://www.princevault.com/index.php?title=101
- Come Home http://www.princevault.com/index.php?title=Come_Home
- Emotional Pump http://www.princevault.com/index.php?title=Emotional_Pump
- Feline http://www.princevault.com/index.php?title=Feline
- La La He Hee (Highly Explosive - Demo) http://www.princevault.com/index.php?title=La,_La,_La,_He,_He,_Hee
- Screams Of Passion http://www.princevault.com/index.php?title=The_Screams_Of_Passion
- Wally (Re-recording) http://www.princevault.com/index.php?title=Wally
- Yah, U Know http://www.princevault.com/index.php?title=Yah,_U_Know

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

gonna see the revolution in a couple hours :)

e: actually like one hour :woop:

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 22, 2017

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

trip report: :prepop:

setlist, held prince's local-media bff of his last few years

i am not a prince fanatic. i am not a prince expert. i don't even know all the words to the mega-hits. but as the revolution started playing yesterday, i felt that pair of feelings i have very rarely felt together in my life. one is the realization that i'm in the presence of world class musicians. the other is the realization that this band is totally killing it. the weather was 90F+ and humid, but as they played the first bars of "mountains" i might as well have been standing in a walk-in freezer. festival format is always a bag of compromises, but i love seeing a group of talented veteran musicians take a 60-minute slot and use it to give a master class on how to rock every second of their time on stage. and of course, with the show being in minneapolis, it was very special. but even aside from the sentimental bits, it was simply some very fine music. also, dancing. wendy and brown mark still have hella moves, for real

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq98n2j75XA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYboMkLluKo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7vRSu_wsNc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
https://vimeo.com/226636939

Never before seen behind the scenes footage of Prince (from the early 90s? nude tour?)

• Locked thread