Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Lol at that guy 'completing the compositions'. So there's a bunch of really sketchy Price vocals that this guy had and has decided to finish them, 'Free As A Bird' style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

That second disc doesn't sound too great (who really wants a shortened 'Lets Go Crazy' or 'Purple Rain'?) but it'll be worth it for that third disc alone.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Surprising no one that Deliverance EP has been pulled. Also surprising no one, Tidal didn't get the memo.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm a whore for single versions. It's a part of the history, and it's interesting to hear and see how they made these songs work for radio. Sure, maybe they don't compare to the full work, but I like having them around.

I can't be the only one.

I guess there's some disappointment that's all. Like the wealth of material they have and they give you... that. But like I said, that third disc makes up for it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

The entire thing has leaked. The Vault disc is SOOOOOOO good. Love & Sex (which opens with the same stinger that was used for Possessed[?] live), Katrina's Paper Dolls, We Can gently caress, Electric Intercourse are probably my favorites but there isn't a dud on that disc.

The remaster of the original album isn't bad and the audio with the concert video is on point.

But if you listen to the idiots at the Org, Purple Rain is brickwalled, Vault disc is meh, singles disc is flawed and the DVD is a bootleg VHS rip :jerkbag:

To be fair, going by waveforms at least, that remaster is pretty brickwalled. Obviously, it's going to depend on the listener, but I've never felt like the original master sounded all that bad anyway. Oh and I think the other version of 'The Dance Electric' is better.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Actually, I don't see how anyone can listen to the end of 'Let's Go Crazy' and not think it sounds loving dreadful.

'Take Me With You' sounds great though and the rest of the album is fine. It's kind of just inconsequential.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

Man, I wish the source for the DVD was higher quality. This is definitely better than the VHS and laserdisc rips I've seen around, and it sounds great, but it looks real rough.

Yeah I think it's just going to depend on how it was filmed. The rumour was that it was shot on video so it's about as good as it's going to look.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The Housequake facebook group has some pretty solid criticisms of the Deluxe package. It's only minor, but it is pretty dumb that the opening of 'Erotic City' suffers an audio snafu when the shorter version doesn't. There's nothing stopping them from editing that one second in there just to clean it up a bit. Some of the other issues I've never noticed ('Velvet Kitty Cat' sounds fine to me so that it's a 'lossy' source doesn't bother me all that much and it's entirely possible that's all they had) so I'm not sure how serious they actually are.

It looks like the DVD has an authoring mistake which is why the picture is poo poo. The Fullasoul bootleg is better and clearer.

Anyway, with some distance now I think it's safe to say the set is sort of a mixed bag. I'm not sure why this version of 'The Dance Electric' is included, given that it's an earlier version than the bootleg which is widely circulating. And I think the circulated version is just outright better quality than this one, where the mix all seems to be in the middle. The live version of 'Electric Intercourse' is arguably better than the studio one, but YMMV. 'Fathers Song' seems again to be an earlier version and not the later finished track, which is weird. 'Velvet Kitty Cat' arguably doesn't belong here as it was never really intended for anything around the Purple Rain project anyway and was meant for Vanity 6, but that's just splitting hairs.

'We Can gently caress' is a stone cold classic and vastly better than the later, slower, re-recorded version. It's sensual, sad and sincere all in one package. As far as I'm concerned, the second disc is worth it just for this.

All in all it has some reason highs tempered with some odd choices they've made. I don't know what the story is, but it wouldn't surprise me if Prince just handed these tracks over and told them that was their lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I will say that though I think moments of it still sound bad (notably the end of 'Let's Go Crazy' which I have to turn down every time because the drums blow out my headphones) on the whole I'd say the remaster is fine. It might be brickwalled, but it isn't treble-heavy like some brickwalls can be.

I would imagine that some of the songs being live performances might limit just what you can do with it.

Just don't go on Prince.org because I saw someone call the second disc 'unlistenable' which is hilarious.

• Locked thread