Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UWBW

Permanently banned from the Alamo
"Bladerunner 2: Blades in space" where the thread would just be quotes from an amazing bladerunner sequel

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig, and Koishi for the last one. TVsVeryOwn made the CyberMike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UWBW

A guy that is absolutely convinced he is in a horror movie-type situation, but actually it's just normal life and he's super paranoid.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig, and Koishi for the last one. TVsVeryOwn made the CyberMike.

UWBW

Manifisto posted:

this is a great idea. I would actually love to watch a movie where horror movie tropes are constantly happening ("what was that out in the darkness? let's split up and see!") and there's one guy who is clearly hyper-aware of the situation. however it's not a scream-like scenario where he's constantly breaking the fourth wall and explaining the cliches to whoever will listen, it's handled very subtly with reaction shots and understated comments and questions that nobody seems to understand. and, needless to say, nothing bad ever actually happens, which drives the guy even crazier.

sort of a reverse cabin in the woods. the forms are followed assiduously but there is no purpose and no bad consequences. there's just a guy being driven slowly nuts because it feels like he's being gaslighted . . . by reality.

Well, the thing is, Tucker & Dale vs. Evil is literally that. Two friendly rednecks have mishaps with a bunch of college kids that think the rednecks are trying to kill them. I saw the movie after I had this idea, but... yeah, someone already did this, and did it really well.

UWBW

Manifisto posted:

I watched tucker & dale v. evil, and yeah it was a good take on this concept. it's interesting tho, in this take each frame of reference about what was happening (horror movie/not a horror movie) had several people to reinforce or at least act as a sanity check as to their perspective. tucker & dale could comment to each other about what was happening and how weird it was.

I suspect that's essential to making a lighthearted comedy. where a character has nobody to validate their "objectively" sane point of view, that's either a much blacker comedy or not a comedy at all.

Well without that constant sanity check you wind up with something a bit closer to American Psycho, I think, where the main character believes a completely different version of reality than everyone around him , and it definitely dips into black comedy territory.

UWBW

ShinyBirdTeeth posted:

Patron Saints For Modern Life

This rules. I could see a patron saint of good bluetooth connection, or green lights the whole way home (protector of weary travelers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UWBW

Splatmaster posted:

Anyone else ever wonder how long they think one of those superballs would bounce if you threw it real hard at one of the walls of the International Space Station? Hopefully you are now. It would also be good if the walls are as strongly reinforced as I think they are because whoopsies

Pretty sure the ISS would go flying off into space as superballs are a near-infinite source of energy, and fig newton's third rule or whatev