Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, the fact that there are some alt-right/gamergate/whatever people who aren't Literal Nazis isn't really much of a defense.

Oh, I'm not defending his absurd obsession against Sarkeesian and feminism in general, nor the lovely thing he has done so far. I was more expressing hope that *eventually* he might get out of that rabbit hole, because frankly we need less people like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Jippa posted:

Do you think there will be a mass exodus to twitch tv?
twitch is way more restrictive about content than youtube, so good luck getting money on there if you stray too far from the path.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

why is h3h3 productions so popular

his videos seem really boring and unfunny

also his wife seems pretty slow but that might just be her accent

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Whorelord posted:

why is h3h3 productions so popular

his videos seem really boring and unfunny

also his wife seems pretty slow but that might just be her accent

Nah, that's just sorta how Israeli people sound in my experience (I worked with this Israeli PhD student* during an internship in college and she sounded almost identical) , and it seems obvious to me that she is pretty awkward on camera.

I can sort of understand the appeal of the "find ridiculous YouTube stuff like that PrankInvasion guy and make fun of it" content, but I'm not sure why the h3h3 guy specifically became so popular since he's not especially funny (or good looking enough to attract the teen girls audience like Pewdiepie).

* As a side note, I remember her REALLY wanting me to go live in Israel after she found out I was Jewish. I remember being kind of confused by how enthusiastically she was trying to sell the country to me.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 25, 2017

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Jippa posted:

Do you think there will be a mass exodus to twitch tv?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn46t8NksX0

Twitch ain't gonna take these guys. They're already past YouTube when it come to managing content like that. If it isn't gaming related, or one of the few carve outs for related stuff, it's shutdown pretty quick.

Most likely vid.me is going to be the initial landing zone. Those guys have been trying to start a partnership program and seem to try and capitalize on the various controversies on YouTube lately. But, that's more about things like the recommended algorithms and being more open about their system. I don't think they're trying to be an altright haven.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
If h3h3 had any self-reflection or shame they would remove that video. They copied someone's pee themed content, recreated it, and complain they are't making the same money. That is Ethan's model anyway. I would tolerate, even respect him, if he did that alone. But instead, he grandstands about free speech when its really about making money for no effort.

Youtube doesn't screw over its creators. Youtube has let people get away with a lot. It will be a year or two of complaining before people move on or learn how to get monetized again. If anything, they are cracking down on their lazy creators like Ethan and the hate speech people.

temple fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 25, 2017

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Ytlaya posted:

Nah, that's just sorta how Israeli people sound in my experience (I worked with this Israeli PhD student* during an internship in college and she sounded almost identical)

* As a side note, I remember her REALLY wanting me to go live in Israel after she found out I was Jewish. I remember being kind of confused by how enthusiastically she was trying to sell the country to me.

Lol no don't go there, Israel is an apartheid state full of racists committing ethnic cleansing, don't fall for their cultish indoctrination campaigns.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Lol no don't go there, Israel is an apartheid state full of racists committing ethnic cleansing, don't fall for their cultish indoctrination campaigns.

Oh, I'm well aware. I just found it interesting how apparently at least some Israelis think it's this really important mission to try and attract other Jews to the pseudo-motherland.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

temple posted:

If h3h3 had any self-reflection or shame they would remove that video. They copied someone's pee themed content, recreated it, and complain they are't making the same money. That is Ethan's model anyway. I would tolerate, even respect him, if he did that alone. But instead, he grandstands about free speech when its really about making money for no effort.

Youtube doesn't screw over its creators. Youtube has let people get away with a lot. It will be a year or two of complaining before people move on or learn how to get monetized again. If anything, they are cracking down on their lazy creators like Ethan and the hate speech people.

Yeah, I liked H3H3's videos where he really goes out an debunks some of the worse channels. Especially the prank nation guy and the joey salads douche who was hiring actors to act as racist caricatures so he could try and bank off racists getting their hate on.

His other stuff, the "humor", I just didn't care for. It wasn't like the all stars in this thread at least, and was just kinda dumb fun for him. He's in with that whole Filthy Frank/IDubz group which just ain't my speed, but I can't really hate on him any more than the other cringe/gross-out/experimental humor stuff on Adult Swim. Well, except for Idubbz weird obsession with saying the "niggerfaggot".

But these last few months you can tell he's just getting scared about his "lifestyle" collapsing in on him. It's also pretty funny since this is babies first lesson in broadcast brand cultivation. If you're going to try and make content that will turn off advertisers or hosting sites or media groups, then you need to have a back up plan to keep the lights on. No poo poo if you're out there blasting that "All blacks commit more crime" or specialize in content designed in piss people off, you might have to deal with losing money or access to the platform.

Hell, other genres of video on youtube already know how to deal with this. The TeamFourStar guys, who do DBZ parodies, have known this forever. So they have back ups of their videos on their own private site and revenue streams beyond ad money, especially since they don't put ads on their DBZ videos in the first place.

EVERYONE ELSE HAS LEARNED THIS LESSON GUYS!

Even better: They're not even shutting the channels down. Just not paying them for that content, which is 100% the advertisers rights. It's not even youtube forcing ads off of those videos, they gave the advertisers the ability to choose who they want to associate with, and surprise, surprise.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crain posted:

Even better: They're not even shutting the channels down. Just not paying them for that content, which is 100% the advertisers rights. It's not even youtube forcing ads off of those videos, they gave the advertisers the ability to choose who they want to associate with, and surprise, surprise.

well they just need to do what th emommy bloggers do and tout sponsors on their channel

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

boner confessor posted:

well they just need to do what the mommy bloggers do and tout sponsors on their channel

I mean, unironically yes. At least in the sense that is what they're going to have to do if they want revenue now. I've seen plenty of other channels do it. Getting in video sponsors, like traditional radio ads, or doing a patreon is the way you need to go if you're going to try and survive now.

That being said I hope they get stonewalled by those advertisers as well, and that their scum sucking audience are too flaky to support them via direct donations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"When I go out with my many friends and associates, I want my white robes looking their best, that's why I buy Tide brand detergent. And when I'm in a more casual mood, only Kiwi brand boot polish gives me that real minstrel show appeal."

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Ytlaya posted:

If I remember correctly, she did serve in the Israeli military before she started the channel with Ethan. Maybe it's a habit from her service?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Forceholy posted:

If I remember correctly, she did serve in the Israeli military before she started the channel with Ethan. Maybe it's a habit from her service?

Pretty sure military service is compulsory in Israel.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

A surprisingly interesting look at this "adpocolypse" from SA's favorite son:

https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/h3h3-productions-and-the-state-of-youtube-advertising

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Forceholy posted:

I was referring to the Israeli PhD student I worked with, not the h3h3 lady.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

boner confessor posted:

well they just need to do what th emommy bloggers do and tout sponsors on their channel

a big issue with that is demographic data. finding sponsors for a mommy blog is easy since it's fairly obvious what sort of person is watching and what sort of things they could be persuaded into buying.

What do redpill types buy? :shrug: Can they be talked into paying absurd prices for things like new parents can? Probably not.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

little munchkin posted:

What do redpill types buy? :shrug: Can they be talked into paying absurd prices for things like new parents can? Probably not.

Tic Tacs

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

Testosterone cream and poo poo documentaries

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

little munchkin posted:

a big issue with that is demographic data. finding sponsors for a mommy blog is easy since it's fairly obvious what sort of person is watching and what sort of things they could be persuaded into buying.

:thejoke:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Crain posted:

A surprisingly interesting look at this "adpocolypse" from SA's favorite son:

https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/h3h3-productions-and-the-state-of-youtube-advertising
TB said what most people know, that h3h3 was making poo poo up. Most tubers know about google prefered and how the ads work. Which is why h3h3 is really dumb for making that video. Its just a sympathy/self promo thing.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

I'm really loving tired of the whole "GLOBALIST ELITE" bullshit. Dumb motherfuckers don't even know what globalism is.

Would you mind giving me a comprehensive definition then? I have a sort of vague idea that I think is correct (ie it doesn't hinge on a single ethnic group pulling the strings) but I could always use a sharper understanding. :kiddo:

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Colonel J posted:

Is Jordan Peterson worth anything? Seems like every white male between 20 and 30 years old around me watches him religiously.

I can talk about him somewhat. If you were to tell me a year ago that Jordan Peterson would've been considered part of the alt-right crowd on Youtube, I wouldn't have believed you. He might not have been known worldwide, but in Canada he was certainly not a nobody. He was a frequent guest of many provincial television stations in Ontario, and a rather reliable one too. He had his own short-lived-but-unironically-good TV program which should be buried in his Youtube channel somewhere. He even had an hour on Canada's most prestigious intellectual radio program, and they don't just hand that poo poo out.

But, it wasn't enough. He wanted more. When I first noticed something about him seemed "different" than before, another person in the Canadian Politics thread brought up how there was rumours in academic circles of him getting "tired of getting no exposure, or grant money, or TED Talk invites, [aka, fairly normal academic poo poo that happens] and finally drank deep from the chalice of alt right poison."

I can crosspost this from the right-wing media thread and this from the Canadian politics thread about him going from being a legit professor of psychology into what he has since become.

I wrote those two posts before it became clear just how off the deep end he had gone. I haven't really looked at any of his stuff since the about-face he did with Bill C-16/Parl-42; haven't had the heart for it. I checked once and he had a video called "Is this a picture of Mohammed?" and the first few minutes of it sounded like he was losing his mind. (Especially when compared to the academic rigorousness of his older stuff.) I actually used to like the guy, and his earlier stuff had actually affected me in a positive way. It hurts to see him become what he has.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So I sometimes browse Reddit when I'm bored and have noticed recently that a lot of stuff from /r/pussypassdenied is making the front page. It's basically guys who seem to love looking for instances where you might be justified in hitting a woman (Usually it's some gif where she hits first), and talking about it like female on male violence is some horrible epidemic that nobody talks about. How long has this particular one been going on?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Casimir Radon posted:

So I sometimes browse Reddit when I'm bored and have noticed recently that a lot of stuff from /r/pussypassdenied is making the front page. It's basically guys who seem to love looking for instances where you might be justified in hitting a woman (Usually it's some gif where she hits first), and talking about it like female on male violence is some horrible epidemic that nobody talks about. How long has this particular one been going on?

a while, sadly its common among abused men or men abused as boys. thing is because of toxic masculinity you're not supposed to talk about how you got beat up by women because that's shameful so you repress it until you find a way to blame it on women, feminists, the matriarchy etc.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

ManlyGrunting posted:

Would you mind giving me a comprehensive definition then? I have a sort of vague idea that I think is correct (ie it doesn't hinge on a single ethnic group pulling the strings) but I could always use a sharper understanding. :kiddo:

Well, there's no denying that there is a cabal of rich peoples who attempt to hold onto as much wealth and power as they can through as many legal and illegal loopholes as they can.

HOWEVER, a lot of people who refer to 'Globalist Elites' are using it as a dog whistle for Jewish people. Which is dumb as hell, cupidity is not monopolised by a single or even a handful of ethnic groups.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Globalism is the right's equivalent of neoliberalism.

People who undermine the power of governments to protect the wellbeing of their population and to enforce laws by pushing for the elimination of international economic barriers and for outlawing any preferential treatment of goods and services based on country of origin. Globalism has the added dimension of also being opposed to free movement of people.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 26, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

uuurgh oh my god you guys stop it

ManlyGrunting posted:

It's totally not what you're thinking. Globalism is a school of thought for any policies, theories or what have you that have to do with globalization. International trade, global communication, immigration, international coalition/organization and so on. It's a very broad term but essentially it means "poo poo that involves all major countries in the world, usually for peaceful purposes". That's it. There is nothing sinister about it.
Because the term is so broad, people usually discuss one of its child terms, like free trade, neoliberalism (yes, neoliberalism is a part of globalism), International debt, etc.

So the next time someone tells you that Americans hate globalism, I want you to make the best shocked expression you can possibly make and ask "really?? Since when? The US prints the global currency. US prospers from trade. America's debt is bought by other countries, who have a great deal of trust in America's status as an economic power. We love globalism when did we start to hate it??"

They will then pull a shocked expression and go real quiet.

So what the gently caress is going on with the term nowadays? :sigh: okay. here is where it gets stupid.
You know how Neo-Nazis believe that the Zionist Occupied Government or the Jews or whatever controls the world from behind the scenes? Well people started to get laughed out of rooms whenever they used those terms, so instead they started to use code. They were the global cabal of bankers therefore they are the globalists. This is a meaningless word that has nothing to do with what globalism actually means. But, it worked.
Right wingers enjoy isolationist policies, and those are the opposite of what globalism is about (not 100% true but close enough for all but the most pedantic macroeconomist :spergin:). So they not only had a handy coded slur, but they could use it as a political weapon against liberal policies. "Oh you want free trade? Looks like you support the globalists!" it's now become a very easy, brainless tool conservatives use to shutdown discussion. It has all the traits of being an intellectual term, but it's really just a meaningless insult.
At the end of the day, they are really just misusing a very broad term which America largely prospered from.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Apr 26, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I've been watching clips of Bill Nye's new show recently, and got a little curious after seeing some... choice comments on these clips and turned off my censorship add-on for a moment to see the recommended videos.

It's pretty funny to see the self-proclaimed champions of science, logic and rationality tripping over each other to pump out hour long screeds calling The Science Guy a cuck or a SJW or a (((Globalist))) for... laying out scientific arguments for progressive policies. Truly the intellectual minds of tomorrow

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Alright, that was my basic understanding but it's good to see it reinforced, thanks!
I am aware of the irony of posting that on a thread about youtube intellectuals

e: ask me about the guy on twitter I follow out of masochism who posted the clip with the caption "Bill Nye the Science Goy" :suicide: My favourites are the global warming deniers who go "funny that science adheres to your worldview" :smuggo:

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 26, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ManlyGrunting posted:

"Bill Nye the Science Goy"

That's not a very good name for someone who is supposed to be a mouthpiece of the international Jewish illuminati.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

That's not a very good name for someone who is supposed to be a mouthpiece of the international Jewish illuminati.

Of course, they are trying to mask their agenda.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
the science guy is not a cuck but his pussy game is weak, he pretty much admits it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

the science guy is not a cuck but his pussy game is weak, he pretty much admits it.

Bill Nye is the biggest pimp in america he just doesn't get high of his own supply

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, the fact that there are some alt-right/gamergate/whatever people who aren't Literal Nazis isn't really much of a defense.

Thunderfoot is quite leftist on some things though. He seems pretty anti-war, pro healthcare. Last time I saw a video of his he was anti-Brexit and for Hillary. However, he got a lot of poo poo for that since the fanbase he panders to does not like these ideas at all.

OP, why did the old thread get gassed (specifically) and how are we going to prevent this one from dying?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Midig posted:

OP, why did the old thread get gassed (specifically) and how are we going to prevent this one from dying?

Don't worry about it. Everyone just needs to post with a bit more effort, and be less derail-y. I don't mind tangents, those are inevitable, but let's just have a cool head about subjects.

Unless it's an Intellectual whiteknight in which case all bets are off, go nuts.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Another hugely popular twitch streamer was permabanned today, this time for being swatted at an airport.

Calls for twitch streamers to move to youtube because it isn't cucked and bowing to advertisers like twitch is :discourse: The grass is always greener I guess. Good luck h3h3 and pewdiepie

Reclines Obesily fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 29, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Wait, the streamer got swatted and he ate a ban for it?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Wellllll, you could say he deserved the ban for daring people to do it on a livestream with twenty thousand teenage viewers after revealing the gate number he was at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Visidan posted:

Wellllll, you could say he deserved the ban for daring people to do it on a livestream with twenty thousand teenage viewers after revealing the gate number he was at.

If the worst thing that happens to him from that is getting banned from twitch he should be pretty pleased.

• Locked thread