Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He's a high-school dropout, or whatever the UK equivalent is. He never finished his compulsory state education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Casimir Radon posted:

Can Sadgon even speak French? I wouldn't try to "investigate" their election if I couldn't.

He had a native French speaker on to basically interpret some of the emails. I didn't watch much of it tbh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mojo1701a posted:

Yeah I'd debate a Ph. D if it were like, "Who's a better captain, Kirk or Picard?" or something superfluous like that and not like, say, Bitcoiners trying to take down Paul Krugman.
There's also the whole idea behind 'strong objectivity', that even if you're a Ph. D you still have your own inherent biases, even if you're better placed to deal with (or defend) those in the one area you're working in. Twin that with the fact that some of them get a big pulpit from important and legitimate work they have done and sometimes it goes to their heads like a few beers to your bad uncle at Thanksgiving, and they believe that they have useful input about things far outside of their studies. (James Watson I am looking at u)

Those people absolutely should be debated, and it shouldn't need to be other academics doing so, although someone like Winters who knows far more about the biases claimed by standpoint theory and their implications might be better placed to do so than I.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
And even if you are deeply unqualified to debate a PhD in their field, you should still probably take it seriously and try to make a good showing as opposed to thinking "Well, she's a womz talking about silly womz stuff, clearly I'll blow her out of the water with my male rationality."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

1stGear posted:

And even if you are deeply unqualified to debate a PhD in their field, you should still probably take it seriously and try to make a good showing as opposed to thinking "Well, she's a womz talking about silly womz stuff, clearly I'll blow her out of the water with my male rationality."

The funny thing about this is after getting humiliated Carl claimed that he had over-prepared for the debate.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Sargon literally doesn't give a poo poo about intellectual rigour, it's no surprise he got stomped by Kristi Winters. Either he's deliberately posting bullshit and relying on his audience to accept it at face value or genuinely is a moron but doesn't have the honesty to correct or own his mistakes.

Here he is smarmily asking antifa how they feel about ISIS using their banner:

https://twitter.com/Sargon_of_Akkad/status/861196505478201344

:ssh:
it isn't ISIS, its the YPG who just kicked ISIS out. He then expertly rockets the goalposts across several timezones by then going "well yeah but they're commies so six of one, half a dozen of the other"

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Sargon's on a roll today:

https://twitter.com/Sargon_of_Akkad/status/861589168840945664

(it's the fascist paramilitary Azov battalion :ssh:)

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Jack Gladney posted:

ContraPoints is good. Shaun and Jen is ok.

contrapoints is so, so good. my favourite channel on youtube lately.

also, sargon's fake laugh thing that he does in every video makes my loving skin crawl. how can anyone listen to that?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

System Metternich posted:

Lol in the replies someone tries to give him cover by saying "he's just joking about how antifa are fascists!" Then Sargon adds:

https://twitter.com/Sargon_of_Akkad/status/861590798441340928

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

aware of dog posted:

Lol in the replies someone tries to give him cover by saying "he's just joking about how antifa are fascists!" Then Sargon adds:

That's shaun, he's really good at exposing Carl and ruling him. Also read the thread, Carl refuses to back down and doubles down. Haha

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
I think Carl might be trapped in a vise of his own making. If he owns up to being wrong, his followers might stop respecting him and his livelihood will be threatened. That or he's a sad, pig headed moron who can't admit fault, like a petulant five year old.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

murphyslaw posted:

I think Carl might be trapped in a vise of his own making. If he owns up to being wrong, his followers might stop respecting him and his livelihood will be threatened. That or he's a sad, pig headed moron who can't admit fault, like a petulant five year old.

These are far from being mutually exclusive.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he posted it to try to make it look like the isis one was a joke. i don't know how he thought that'd work.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

i don't know how he thought that'd work.

you have begun to understand sargon

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why does he respond to Shaun? Like if I had a twitter and some nazi was posting criticism of me that I thought was unfair, I'd just block them.

I know they're not analogous situations, but maybe my failure to understand is why I'm not nazi-fellating scum in his 40s with no friends and a bad hairstyle.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

usually they do block (all the alt-right/race realists/maga chuds i get into it on twitter do) but you've lost once you've blocked someone unless it's legit harassment.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Someone should dare Sargon to post about some racist/fascistic militias that he actually disapproves. He'd either have to attack some Confederacy groupies and lose fans, or post pics of BLM or Berkeley and become more of a joke 'leftist'.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

Why does he respond to Shaun? Like if I had a twitter and some nazi was posting criticism of me that I thought was unfair, I'd just block them.

I know they're not analogous situations, but maybe my failure to understand is why I'm not nazi-fellating scum in his 40s with no friends and a bad hairstyle.

Right wingers believe in discourse, but unlike the typical lib they use the discourse to gently caress with their ideological rivals. This backfires on them because they cannot ignore people without looking weak.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Right wingers believe in discourse, but unlike the typical lib they use the discourse to gently caress with their ideological rivals. This backfires on them because they cannot ignore people without looking weak.

they also cannot stand up to scrutiny because they're massive loving idiots, which is why they typically only debate people they think they can take on like new college student. Everytime they try to debate an actual academic or someone who knows what they're talking about they crumble.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

aware of dog posted:

lol yeah this is noted Carlgon takedown artist Shaun and he's not giving him an out, he's giving him a noose to hang himself when he claims it was all a joke later.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Weirdo posted:

Oh gross, he lives near my relatives :11tea:

The only good thing about Swindon is its famous mad science roundabout.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

he was really, really fuckin full of himself to think he knew how to speak to french voters

"i know about the french revolution so why don't we force a bunch of french-language memes portraying macron as an aristocrat or as mary antoinette, that'll totally be accepted as authentic and grassroots by the french and not as foreign meddling by idiots"

My favourite part of the French election cycle was all the pepe the frog memes about voting for Le Pen. Let's depict the french as frogs, they really love that!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The only good thing about Swindon is its famous mad science roundabout.

Wow, a quintuple roundabout, I'm barely used to one.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I'm not sure the alt right have a hope of grasping French politics when it's very different to the US and neither of these candidates fit into the republican/democrat molds.

Not saying I do but I'm also not trying to influence votes.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Carecat posted:

I'm not sure the alt right have a hope of grasping French politics

same, but american, british, canadian, or australian politics

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Carecat posted:

I'm not sure the alt right have a hope of grasping French politics when it's very different to the US and neither of these candidates fit into the republican/democrat molds.

Not saying I do but I'm also not trying to influence votes.

i find it really funny that all the alt-right guys who would say they supported brexit on the basis of 'how can politicians in brussels ever know what it's like to live in MY country?' all instantly became enlightened experts on the very complex political landscape of france and the french people.

as you say, it's definitely not remotely analogous to UK/US politics.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Kristi said that she had to practice for the debate, getting her points in a row, making sure she had enough time and everything.
Honestly, you could probably debate a PhD if you had like 2-3 weeks of prep. You probably won't win, but you'll have a better showing than Carl.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

SSNeoman posted:

Kristi said that she had to practice for the debate, getting her points in a row, making sure she had enough time and everything.
Honestly, you could probably debate a PhD if you had like 2-3 weeks of prep. You probably won't win, but you'll have a better showing than Carl.

It's even funnier considering part of the whole point of being a PhD is knowing loving research.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

System Metternich posted:

pretty sure sargon thinks "antifa" is synonymous with "anyone who shows up masked to a protest and/or general event drawing crowds and does a violence"

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

blowfish posted:

pretty sure sargon thinks "antifa" is synonymous with "anyone who shows up masked to a protest and/or general event drawing crowds and does a violence"
I think hes actually dumber than that. I think hes trying to say "if you think about it, fascists and anti-fascist are the same thing".

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gorn Myson posted:

I think hes actually dumber than that. I think hes trying to say "if you think about it, fascists and anti-fascist are the same thing".

"anyone who uses violence to advocate for or against a political position is a triggered cuck, unlike me, who acts like a civilized man while i shout vicious insults into a can from the comfort of my bedroom"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he meant it as a "joke" so he could initiate the puppetmaster defense.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

1stGear posted:

I don't think any of these people are qualified to debated a PhD in their field, to be fair. I figured some of them would be disgruntled academics, but outside the few profs most of these jokers seem to adults who should really go back for some education or young kids.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Carl of Sad never finished secondary school. He's a 40-year-old teenager.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Carl of Sad never finished secondary school. He's a 40-year-old teenager.

Woah poo poo really?!?! Is there a source for this because I want to point and laugh and hang it over his head forever.

Also remember that time he was so inept at debating Jenni goodman he brought in two of his friends to try to make it 3 against 1 and still got destroyed like a chump?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 9, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

Woah poo poo really?!?! Is there a source for this because I want to point and laugh and hang it over his head forever.

Also remember that time he was so inept at debating Jenni goodman he brought in two of his friends to try to make it 3 against 1 and still got destroyed like a chump?

This is the best I can do right now. It is a widely reported claim and he has never challenged it. His wiki article doesn't mention his life before gamergate, and he seems like the kind of guy to crow about his qualifications, ala Davis Auruni saying that he was "tutored in history" at McMaster.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SargonofAkkad/comments/509207/who_is_carl_benjamin_also_known_as_sargon_of_akkad/?st=j2gsjyc2&sh=cd34d8e9

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

boner confessor posted:

"anyone who uses violence to advocate for or against a political position is a triggered cuck, unlike me, who acts like a civilized man while i shout vicious insults into a can from the comfort of my bedroom"

I don't get the impression the alt right believe in any kind of physical protesting.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There have been some fat and scrawny "free-speech" larpers in some very embarrassing Mad-Max gear showing up at protests that have to be from 4chan.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Carecat posted:

I don't get the impression the alt right believe in any kind of physical protesting.

they do but it's either guy fawkes wearing fauxtests or impotent fantasizing about mowing down minority hordes with tactically optimized firearms

just showing up in a group and expression your opinion is for normie carefags

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Carecat posted:

They just believe in Pride Parades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Jack Gladney posted:

There have been some fat and scrawny "free-speech" larpers in some very embarrassing Mad-Max gear showing up at protests that have to be from 4chan.

:mediocre:

• Locked thread