Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Carecat posted:

What's some entertaining critical videos apart from Hbomberguy?

ContraPoints is good. Shaun and Jen is ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Carl is so sad to think about. He's just a fat old man with no education or future. What will he do when this gravy train is up?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sephyr posted:

Does it ever dry up, though? Look at Savage, LaRouche, David Duke, Art Bell. All still going, just getting meaner and crazier.

These groups are fiercely loyal once they get a figurehead. Your greater visibility may wax or wane, but as long as you stay crazy and loud, there is a bottom floor of support and income you pretty much can't go below. Especially now that crowdfunding is a thing.

He's a lot more flash-in-the-pan than any of them, except maybe Jones. I can't see him organizing a rally or running for office, or really even going on tv. His persona almost requires that static image of the ruined mask that is of a king who isn't Sargon.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I've never made it to the end of a Sarg video and I can't imagine ever doing so.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Kristi Winters thing is good because about 15 minutes in she gets this confused look on her face as she realizes that she seriously prepared for a debate with an oaf who doesn't understand the subject of the debate. When he says that the social sciences are invalid and should be abandoned she stops for a moment and just stares at him, then accepts the new insane reality she's faced with and asks him why advertising works if social science is worthless.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He's a high-school dropout, or whatever the UK equivalent is. He never finished his compulsory state education.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why does he respond to Shaun? Like if I had a twitter and some nazi was posting criticism of me that I thought was unfair, I'd just block them.

I know they're not analogous situations, but maybe my failure to understand is why I'm not nazi-fellating scum in his 40s with no friends and a bad hairstyle.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Carl of Sad never finished secondary school. He's a 40-year-old teenager.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

Woah poo poo really?!?! Is there a source for this because I want to point and laugh and hang it over his head forever.

Also remember that time he was so inept at debating Jenni goodman he brought in two of his friends to try to make it 3 against 1 and still got destroyed like a chump?

This is the best I can do right now. It is a widely reported claim and he has never challenged it. His wiki article doesn't mention his life before gamergate, and he seems like the kind of guy to crow about his qualifications, ala Davis Auruni saying that he was "tutored in history" at McMaster.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SargonofAkkad/comments/509207/who_is_carl_benjamin_also_known_as_sargon_of_akkad/?st=j2gsjyc2&sh=cd34d8e9

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There have been some fat and scrawny "free-speech" larpers in some very embarrassing Mad-Max gear showing up at protests that have to be from 4chan.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mojo1701a posted:

What? Goddamnit I work just down the street from Mac. I now feel tainted.

He was kicked out for poor grades. Don't besmirch the institution for functioning correctly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A man who, born just 10 years earlier, would have been routinely beaten and harassed on suspicion of being gay on account of his lisp and fey demeanor lectures a camera in his tiny bedroom on the subject of degeneracy, his sunken eyes and pale skin suggesting kidney failure.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What about Auruni's fat friend who broadcast live from his bathtub? He had easily 100 videos about Anita Sarkeesian. Hopefully he's been taken into custody and won't try ending his youtube career like that Bjork fan who mailed a bomb.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

holy poo poo I love his exquisite editing and the fact that he took a kid making an interesting point in a college room discussion but instead go " LOOK AT HOW EVIL CAPE TOWN UNIVERSITY US SDAjS:ALjdas;".

All of these youtube fascists need to kill themselves.

Like, it's funny, before I dismissed Anita for being boring and not that interesting, however she's gotten much better and I now actually have a deep respect for Anita Sarkeesian, she's weathered their storm, chugged along and is still making nice videos and nice critiques on the internet while those freaks who screeched at her became white nationalist Nazis, god bless that brave Armenian angel.

I really appreciate her earnestness and sensitivity to the bottomless horror that is life on earth. I've been soaking in irony for my entire adult life, so I can't help responding to reality with weary contempt, but I really admire her capacity to be genuinely, sincerely appalled at our wretched world. Like, I don't even think she wants to do the light hyperbole and irony in that first episode of her new show, and I really admire that. I wish I could be that way in the world.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I meant Jordan Owen. What a forgettable dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSLNvqajlNw

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think they broke up, just like Tub Boy and Professor Skull.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why do so many of them use mascots to represent themselves? It seems like a convention born out of nothing. Just show your gross fat faces like Carl of Sad.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mojo1701a posted:

Yeah you knew she was not really interested in a good-faith argument when she opened a video with "If a black man gets in a fight with a white woman, who's the oppressed one?" and saying that feminism isn't needed in the US because "women already have equality under the law."

She might simply believe those things in good faith because she is a child. How informed were you when you were a teenager, and how well could you reason?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

in her defense, i'm not particularly attractive either.

you cannot hold the opinions she and the others do and argue in good faith. it's impossible to be right wing and argue in good faith.

I mean good-faith in the sense that she genuinely believes out of ignorance and lack of life experience that racism is over and that white people are treated unfairly. I grew up in a very white and conservative place and didn't really question received wisdom until I was at least 18.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Marx never got in the way of getting anyone laid. I feel like left-tending teens get out and meet people and build more robust social networks than individualist randroid teens. Boys meet girls while working to get the world to treat them as people. Seems way healthier to me.

I don't know, as I wasn't lucky enough to be a left-tending teen. The one in these videos seems like she has a good chance of snapping out of it from how internet men will treat her. Some of those adult cheerleaders are no doubt trying to meet her in a hotel room somewhere.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sex is often shorthand for community, intimacy, mutual happiness and anything opposed to isolation and unhealthy obsession. The idea is that if nobody wants to be around you, you're doing something wrong. Sex is the lowest intimacy bar to cross.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What nerd hobbies don't have resentful reactionary scum in them? The general model seems to be that nerds feel persecuted and excluded and gravitate to culturally marginal things, then explode in resentment when women and people who aren't white gravitate toward them along with mainstream exposure.

There simply may be social activities that skew male and require disposable income in a way that selects for whiteness.

Comics were awful with sexist poo poo in the 80s-90s. Some of it is probably that reactionary scum make nerd media and drive the culture.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Uh...wth is Laci Green doing?

"actually racists and sexists are right about a lot of things if you take the time to engage them and learn from their perspective, here's a cherry picked example of political correctness out of control. So much for the tolerant left... "

She got her start with new atheism, so maybe she was always partially one of the rationals underneath. That all gave me a huge eyebrow-raise, but I'll wait and see who she chooses to engage and what they talk about. I can't imagine there are many internet reactionaries who wouldn't drop the mask immediately, or even many who haven't preemptively expressed hatred of her.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

She quit doing videos for a long time and just relocated to get an MD (I think). It kind of seemed like she was wrapping up that part of her career. Maybe the bills were bigger than she anticipated.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The alt-right/"anti-sjw" crew is directly descended from the new atheist movement. Contrapoints has talked about it a little, but all those first-wave woman-hater shits like thunderfoot and the amazing atheist (sargon too, I think) started out mocking creationists and making GBS threads on their ignorance and bad logic. Once the creationists dried up, they turned on women and people who aren't white, assuming that they were masters of logic and research because they could take down Kirk Cameron and Answers in Genesis.

Laci Green and Rebecca Watson were part of that original crew too, and partially precipitated the inevitable collapse of "skepticism" as a unified tent that could both tolerate chauvinist male rationals like Dawkins, Shermer, and DJ Grothe and hold a commitment to inclusion or rigorous skeptical inquiry toward dumb sexism (especially manifested as evolutionary psychology or sexism toward female scientists) or scientific racism and racism in science.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, compare the subscription numbers for sargon or thunderfoot with the average views on their recent videos. People subscribe, watch for a while, and move on without unsubscribing. There are new teenagers discovering that poo poo, but plenty grow up and move on. And Anita Sarkeesian probably reached way more teens than any of them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Carl of Sad really any different from Limbaugh or Beck? Boomers listen to them say the same specious poo poo for hours every day. It's politically partisan and not just naked bigotry, but it is pretty much naked bigotry also, and poorly reasoned and highly selective and inaccurate in its facts.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fados posted:

I mildly acquainted with a shitlord who's very much into pol and who doesn't miss a change to spew edgy 'provocative' jokes about jews. The stereotypes are all there: he's a NEET, heavy drinker, with severe mental heath problems that likes to cocktail mix his prescription drugs and spends his days playing videogames. I sometimes like to visit him just for the slight fascination it provokes me watching this type of pure breed shitlord and also the shadenfreud of his slowly dregadring trainwreck of a life.

Does he live on his own? How does he get money?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How did Charles Murray crawl back to relevance after his 90s heyday? He was an old gently caress peddling racist nonsense way back then. He should have died in disgrace years ago.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He goes into the youtube comments of videos that criticize him. He's more pathetic than thunderfoot because of that. Thunderfoot just needs a psychiatrist and then maybe he'll retire from videos and hang up his psychosexual fixation on Anita Sarkeesian.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I suppose it's true that I've never felt the need to read a youtube comment.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I mean, Dickie Spencer probably wanted that Hypatia article retracted too, but because he doesn't think women should be able to read. Really makes you think.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdOgvdbl314

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He's an excitable boy with lots of energy who can appreciate absurdity.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The bit that made me think it was satire was:

Reactos use that phrase without irony any time they're criticized for being racists or misogynists, and especially when antisemitism is involved. It is literally a white-supremacist code phrase like the 14 words, though.

I also agree that petition has to be a joke.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The pathology is basically that they feel attacked by the mere existence of discussion of sexism and racism, and so construct an identity that allows them to feel like marginalized outsiders while also allowing them to see women and black people as powerful aggressors denying them an identity.

It's like reverse projection or something--a refusal of reality that involves making yourself into a version of the people that upset you.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Deified Data posted:

I mean yeah they do, all of the time. I'm not saying that because I'm salty about having shade thrown at my hobby, I agree it's often garbage. That just means straight white men are desperate for identity and will cling to the most incidental things to get it. Gamers are bad but not uniquely so.

As an aside, I'm putting out a probe: a friend of mine who has some of the most confused political opinions ever (ardently anti-Trump, pro-environmental regulation, yet still won't call himself a feminist and thinks SJWs are a real problem) recently told me that SJWs are ruining Marvel by not allowing them to release books with white men as the central character. We had a lot convo about that I won't repeat because I made the points you think I did, but where did this thinking come from? Coincidentally I had a couple videos rec'ed to me the other day about SJWs ruining comics with diversity, one of them an entire channel devoted to the subject. Is this a new front in the make-believe culture wars or have I just been blessedly unaware of it the whole time?

When Jerry Sandusky was on trial, sports fans found the home addresses and phone numbers of some of the accusers--who were children--and called them saying that they would kill them for ruining Joe Paterno's career and hurting the team.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hbomberguy is a goon. I don't know about Contrapoints, but he does collaborate with Hbomb and other goon-adjacent youtube people like Lindsay Ellis and Dan Olson.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

She's doing an introductory film theory series on Michael Bay right now that's really good. She has a youtube channel under her own name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That seems like a reacto trolling strategy. I guess I'm lucky that I never saw anything sympathetic to gamergate here that wasn't immediately dogpiled and ridiculed.

• Locked thread