Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Refried Hero posted:

Well on a different, slightly related note, here's a decent video about Alt-Right tactics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmVkJvieaOA

I wonder if it’s possible to use these tools on reactionaries rather than just responding to them. It seems like only idiots have access to these sleights of rhetoric with any authenticity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

At least he’s wearing a knockoff hat.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

noether posted:

bernie is already a proud catman. insinuating that his cat ears are fake is pretty disgusting racism tbh ngl

[Img] https://i.imgur.com/9JMeXGd_d.jpg[/Img]

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Stormgale posted:

Shoe complaining left wing people being mean to contra

https://twitter.com/shoe0nhead/status/936065357097459712

Survey Says:

https://twitter.com/ChatsuboBlues/status/936077513452871681

Just found it funny they don't even need to sockpuppet anymore.

Is shoe on head trying for some kind of seduction scene here? “The left goes after me too, Contrapoints. They’re so unreasonable, aren’t they? But just think about how reasonable I am and how the pepes always say they love me and that they’ll think hard about whether or not trans people should be killed.”

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

It always feels that way when one of these assholes jumps into a situation.

She keeps posting on Contrapoints’ twitter and stream chats and on Lindsay Ellis’ stuff like they’re friends having a good time, and even with Hbomb sometimes. It’s strange and unsettling.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

fallenturtle posted:

So you don't accept her explanation to why she doesn't consider this group white supremacists?

That was the weakest part of her argument by far. Just because they banned a poster (or 2 posters, as there were two denying the holocaust) a year ago doesn’t mean that there aren’t more of them, just that they’re not vocal or don’t care.

Just because some of them watch and like Contra or are ok with trans people, they’ve also created a group where members do whatever they want and the group bears no responsibility. The same Facebook page had people organizing harassment of the college feminist group, and they gave the same empty apology.

If they had really turned the corner on being shits they wouldn’t call themselves the “free speech” club, as that’s an empty signifier for anything but 4chan-style abuse and dogwhistle white supremacy.

I get that Contrapoints feel vulnerable and attacked and I very much sympathize, but she’s underselling that element.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

fallenturtle posted:

They're Lacy Greening her... the process will be complete once Nat starts dating the Golden One.

I may not be as optimistic as she is, but Contrapoints will turn Golden One.

But yes, that appeal is just like how the chuds tried to get Laci Green, putting focus on the “unreasonable” left while talking up their own politeness and willingness to listen to any position.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Are you sure you've got your YouTube superstars lined up right, there? Correct me if I'm wrong, by all means, but Shaun is the one who I remember saying the main reason why he didn't go all right alt-right is, to paraphrase, "there but for the grace of God go I". I remember Contra saying she'd have been in feminist cringe compilations if you'd have pointed a camera in her direction during Iraq war protests. Can't source that claim, since I don't remember which video that was in, but there you go.

She has a whole video about it: “how I became a feminist” or something like that. She literally describes being an mra who changed through being challenged by classmates and professors.

She also had other youtube identities before Contrapoints that she’s scrubbed away, but people like Dick Coughlin remember her from when she was one of the annoying aggressive youtube atheists.

She knew Lacy Green back when that’s all she was too, before Laci did sex education. And Laci later blocked her on facebook for some antifeminist posting or other.

This feels kind of like dirty laundry, but she’s talked about it all in videos or commentary on videos.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

multijoe posted:

To be honest I don't know why SJ-left twitter feels they own Contra to the point they can dictate how and how not she spreads her message. Whether or not you think meeting the right head-on on their own ground is a worthwhile tactic, it's clear she's acting in good faith and at least trying to engage with the subset of the alt-right who genuinely mean what they say about freedom of speech and logic and debate and entirely consistent with her long-stated belief of engaging with her ideological opponents.

And as for concerns she may pull a Laci Green, maybe dragging her so hard she ends up reassessing entirely how she engages with her fanbase and making shoeonhead come off as a reasonable voice in the discussion isn't the best way of sending the message that the left is a friendly and tolerant place?

It’s just like how nerds think they own their favorite comic books or Star Treks and go on insane vendettas when something they don’t like happens, or sports fans and their teams.

Undersocialized nerds behave badly and possessively, especially when given any form of access.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Roaming Millennial is trash trash trash. I can’t tell if willful ignorance is better or worse than not caring about the truth, but it’s pretty loving close.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

roaming millennial is cute, i am now alt-right.

Do any of these hot chud ladies have a patreon where they sell nudes or do custom videos? I feel like a lot of them are close.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Not So Fast posted:

Hey, can we avoid posting poo poo like this, it's kinda sexist.

Noted, though you have to admit that the unhealthy attention they get from gross womanhaters must to some extent inform their personae and the nature of their engagement with being “one of the good ones” who conforms to certain objectifying expectations.

I admit it’s probably not a fun time for any woman to have or have to manage that kind of attention.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Even the TERFs agree that gender is socially constructed, they just believe that it should be abolished entirely, regardless of who gets hurt along the way.

I'm struggling to think of anyone who is offended by the idea of gender being a social construct who isn't on the right.

Difference feminists and moon magic pagan idiots?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Unfortunately, I don't know if that's sufficient, because that seems to be a common talking point in the die-hard bitcoin corner.

There is a species of natural-rights lunacy that probably would deny that capitalism or government are social constructions but are derived from the unity of consciousness or some horseshit.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

it sucks rear end also cuz he wrote one of the best books about holocaust denial https://www.amazon.com/Denying-History-Holocaust-Happened-Expanded/dp/0520260988

it's so good i own the original and expanded versions.

Shermer’s almost certainly a rapist. There are multiple stories of him trying to get women falling-down drunk and take them back to his hotel at events where he speaks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Yee an idiot who’s just doing this poo poo like a kid who eats worms because he likes the attention, or is he a rapist of children?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Monglo posted:

Devil's advocate: but children can't give an informed consent about most things. And are subjected to thing daily, that they actively give no consent to.

That’s the point, silly billy: children literally can’t consent to anything. That’s why adults have to look after them and make choices about what it in their best interests. loving adults is never in their best interests. Look at what it did to Milo Yianoppolous.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That poster is a gamergater iirc.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

It pretty much perfectly illustrates with how much they use it, that people who do that are almost never arguing in earnest, they just want to pull debate club pseudo-intellectual bullshit.

I think you’ll find that I merely demonstrated that in theory if a Jew had committed a crime that would have given the death penalty to a free German between 1933 and 1944, then morally speaking the holocaust could not have been—as you so emphatically claim—“entirely unjustified.” Until you refute that simple point, I have nothing more to discuss.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

He is sending out signals that he should not be quoted or replied to and will eventually wind up like Intrinsic Field Marshal.

You think it’s like The Santa Clause or something and as one gets banned another poster is corrupted into a worthless piece of poo poo? IFM was just banned yesterday for creepy stalker stuff.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Claudius the Definitely Not Gay Indo-European Who Has Had Sex Lots of Times And Is Smart

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hope he ends up living under a bridge like an actual pedophile.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

None of them realize what would happen to them if they won even slightly. They think they’d be Ilsa She Witch of the SS and not euthanized for producing sub-optimal children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fututor Magnus posted:

that's the guy who made up his girlfriend, and wife, more than once. made a sex doll be his wife. now he has a lovely channel where he tries to make content for the same audience of people like hbomberguy and fails miserably at it, and has to purchase subscribers.

this guy is deserving of nobody's time.

His wife is in his recent videos and seems alive. I’ve never heard of him before, but the recent videos I’ve seen have all been good and thoughtful.

• Locked thread