Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Phillip DeFranco finally announced his news network he's been hinting at for like a year now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7frDFkW05k

Those jump cuts are... not good for a news show. Great for an opinion show, which is what he's been this whole time, but I don't think a lot of his fans realize he runs an opinion show that talks about news stories like every other pundit.

Also, super late but:

Crain posted:

A surprisingly interesting look at this "adpocolypse" from SA's favorite son:

https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/h3h3-productions-and-the-state-of-youtube-advertising

This was nice. I didn't really know anything about how google runs advertisements, and he somehow stumbles into doing a pretty decent job of explaining it. It really is surprising how TB can be good if he actually knows anything about what he's talking about instead of spouting off dumb talking points on SA to show how smart he is.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Haven't you heard?

My favorite part about this is Ann Coulter sneaking in like she's a new thing. Ah, to be young and not understand that poo poo had been going on while they were figuring out long division in 2nd grade.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

There's probably going to be a pinch of "DC movies are universally garbage" skepticism. I remember watching the WW trailers initially, and my first thoughts were "What is this movie even going to be about" and "Oh god they're going to ruin this just like BVS." I haven't seen WW yet, so I'm not going to make a single comment about how the movie actually is, but I'm actually surprised DC managed to not just pinch off another turd like all the rest they've been doing lately according to its reception.

I wonder if it's good because they decided for very lovely reasons that the WW movie should be made by women(, but it turns out in making essentially a PR move they still took all of the garbage people making their hot messes and put in competent people who happen to be women. I'm not really sure how I feel about that line of thought, though. There's still gotta be a big portion of their competence that is "Because we are women, we understand the importance and message that WW should convey."

Also Fury Road is a great movie, but I'm not sure I'd really classify it as a feminist movie, more a movie with feminist undertones? It's still essentially about driving fast and killing people after the apocalypse. The main character's still Max. He's also the one who comes up with the idea at the end that saves the day, even though he's surrounded by women. It kinda sends the message that women can be strong within the context of a man providing direction, and that's not very feminist.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I never got the sense that Max was the brains of the operation

Being "the brains of the operation" doesn't mean you're the main character.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Sure but his arc is to stop being a bitter loner and learn to trust and care about people again. He needs them.

So you realize then that you're arguing that their problems are subservient to his, right? He comes up with the idea at the end because he finally gives in and trusts them, but their final victory is entirely because he decided to help them.

Fury Road is a great movie because they unabashedly made a mad max movie in modern day with a lot of the 80s sensibilities that went into making movies back then. It's a great throwback sendoff, but feminist it is not.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

No I don't understand how my argument is that

:thunk:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Rey on the other hand is like a video game character come to life and succeeds in becoming a Jedi in a couple of days and never fucks up which makes for a boring protagonist.

There's lots of foreshadowing that she had jedi training as a kid and had her memories force... hidden? Covered? An unreliable protagonist is at least sort of not normal for a blockbuster, so that's kind of neat at least.

I liked rogue one a lot better, though. I liked Jyn and thought the character development was worlds better than TFA, mainly because most of it didn't have to be told directly to us by other characters.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

Has anyone watched Laci Green's Two genders video? Because I dont wanna give her clicks and it's sitting on Youtube's Spotlight Page for Pride month.

I watched about 2 minutes of it because I haven't seen anything of hers since way way way before she redpilled or w/e the gently caress. She starts out the video saying everyone's going to be mad by her at the end of it, no matter what they believe, so I decided to save her the trouble. She seemed to be going down a quasi biotruths path keeping just this side of "women's brains are smaller than men's brains" so I just put on a caravan palace video instead and was much happier with my decision.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

It can be either. It's a hard c in scalding, scaffolding, schematic, and scat. It only looks like it ought to be a soft sc in sceptic if you're used to seeing it as skeptic.

As you were typing this did you notice how none of your examples have an e following a c? That's why the h is in schematic.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

nickmeister posted:

But those are all a words and one ch word.

Anyway, AS is another aggressively lazy and ignorant one. I believe he recently admitted on Twitter that if he isn't interested in something, he simply can't bring himself to study it or even pay attention for an extended period of time.

I first noticed this trend with when he blithely claimed hadn't said a bunch of poo poo that even his supporters admitted that he said. Or maybe it was when he made a video attacking laci green for claiming zootopia had a feminist message: "there is no institutionalized racism in the USA." Even many people in the comments section pointed this out. But that was when he hadn't completely driven away all of the people with even a sliver of common sense.

He's also got an issue with black people. Seems to think that the problem is all the racist treatment they receive that he admits exists, but because they are basically lazy and need to be taught to work.

gently caress AS.

I've seen a lot of people lean heavily on "I'm a skeptic!!!!" because they think it's easier to just be skeptical than it is to actually know about things. They don't seem to understand what being a skeptic actually means and why it's actually harder than not being one.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

WampaLord posted:

The Matrix sequels are far more watchable. At least you're not cringing at half the dialogue.

The last one was a fantastic story about a man who tried to do the best he could for his wife and survive in an extreme postapocalyptic scenario, torn between doing what was right and what was safe.

It also had a bunch of garbage about neo, but who gives a poo poo about that guy. Link was the real main character.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

That's why you need to get you know real happiness from interpersonal interactions. All infinity money does is reveal that some people never experienced true happiness to begin with because capitalism is the root of all evil.

Infinite money facilitates as many interpersonal interactions as you care for because you have no worries anymore, although it does have the added land mines of interactions from people who just want your money.

Notch's issue is he doesn't understand that money isn't the end, it's a means to the end of buying that giant mansion to throw giant parties once a week and travel and meet new people and see new things. Like, money can get you to a lot of very cool interesting places and great experiences, but not if you never go out your front door.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Yes it does but again, taking whatever you're given also leads to lovely conditions by a slower route, at some point you have to eat the poo poo in order to get any better. That's how striking always works.

Striking works by actually hurting the bosses, and the money for dems hasn't really dried up, has it? Hillary didn't get the job, but she's still rich as gently caress and probably still doing speeches for piles of cash because she was still secretary of state. It's not a 1 to 1 comparison and you're kinda dumb for making it.

Also accelerationism lol. Maybe vote in democrats and actually work to primary blue dogs. If you only give a poo poo about politics once in a blue moon then no poo poo you don't get a say over the candidates, and voting third party just fucks people over (even if you're in a "safe state" that's deep red or blue, working to change your local politics is where you start). You're showing up at the party at the last minute without bringing anything and complaining about what other people have brought. If you don't like it, put in a little effort and bring something. Sure Sally's casserole is garbage, but you still didn't bring anything, and her casserole is better than your nothing. Yeah, it's harder than showing up once every four years to spite slam jill stein, but it's gotta happen for anything good to get done.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Got some more #fakenews for you guys
https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/07/10/here-are-5-video-game-youtubers-you-really-need-to-watch/#4e566df7b309

Hbomb is on his way up in the world. I quite like Sterling, too.

Stuff like this makes me happy since it reaffirms the online community of racists and misogynists are still just a joke in the real world while actual intellectuals have a chance to do some real good.

This is something that's been on my mind the past few days, mainly thinking about why there are so many people doing "rational" videos like Sargon and why there don't seem to be as many people making videos rebutting them and putting forward more leftist views. Hbomberguy and Shaun and Jen are great, but they're definitely in a minority when it comes to videos directly talking about these ideas.

The thing that made me realize what's going on was a random vlogbrothers video when I realized that the channels and groups and communities that celebrate more leftist ideas are just... doing that. They're not spending time directly refuting Carlgon because they're using their time attempting to just make the world a better place directly. It made me feel a lot better about it when I realized that Carlgon and his ilk pretty much just sit in a corner pulling off sick nasty burns on people who mostly just don't give a poo poo that they even exist. The only relevance they have is in being so evil in harassment of a specific few people they've decided are Satan, and if Anita's harassment had never happened no one would know who Carlgon even is.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Yes lets all trust the mainstream media....

have you ever posted and not been insufferable?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I think it's mostly that left-leaning people and social justice proponents tend to get their politically-oriented media through different mediums than Youtube. Also, if someone is just "against the alt-right", the mainstream media basically has that covered (while the alt-right doesn't have much presence in newspapers or television).

Also, I'm not sure if it's this or if it's about someone sitting down to think about what kind of youtube channel they want to make, and instead of even thinking of carlgon, they decide they want their youtube channel to actually make the world a better place in some fashion, either by educating people or helping to create events for people to come together and accomplish things, and the thought never crosses their mind to just make videos yelling at dumb people, but Carlgon and the septic rationals all decided they needed to make videos screaming about how people are WRONG and that this was a good use of their time.

Take something like the vlogbrothers, although their channel kind of just happened out of experimentation, but outside of the occasional one off rant about people saying science is wrong, most of what they produce is either education or attempting to put together communities and use that community to make the world a better place with things like project for awesome. It's not that leftist idea videos aren't being made, it's that none of them who are doing it even acknowledge that carlgon exists because it'd be a waste of time. Anita Sarkeesian didn't start off with "These assholes are WRONG about EVERYTHING." She started off with "wow, there's not a lot of easily accessible ideas about this one specific area, feminism and video games and comics, and I'm going to make a video series about this specific thing" and not "those specific people" because the point isn't to call other people out, it's to educate and hopefully someone who genuinely just doesn't know about this stuff or has never thought of it can have an "Oh, I get it now" moment.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

bloviations by people like sargon that sound intelligent and appear to be well-researched and thought out, but in fact aren't and won't hold up to scrutiny

the kekistan thing he explains at one point as follows, which i transcribed/paraphrased a little bit from one of his videos:

i make no claims re: the correctness of any of what sargon said above

So what you're saying is what convinces them to do these stupid things is for the lulz, because that's what that paragraph is saying. He's not arguing that Kekistan is a real place, he's pointing out that if they all sign up for it like the 16k people who signed up as jedi then they will add it as a box on the census, which is the most tangential bullshit thing you could possibly quote to make your point.

Show us where faux reasoned discussion convinced these kids instead of the memes.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

showing proportions of people with conservative values staying basically the same across education levels, while the people with mixed views dwindle away

as if going to college doesn't make right-wing views go away, just moderate ones

which kinda undermines the "only diversity can cure conservative thinking" argument

The argument isn't that diversity creates liberal thinkers, the argument is that diversity innoculates people to the garbage that people like rush spew, and that in itself is a correlation between diversity and left leaning views. You apparently skipped over that part where left leaning views massively increased with education, and it coming from the mixed views just means people who were stupid as poo poo now have the critical thinking tools to not be swayed by Carlgon. Jesus loving christ this isn't that hard.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

see it helps if you stay level-headed and gently discourage people from getting too into things/getting obsessed with people and the idea that those people are always right

"Nice ad hominem, why can't you counter his ACTUAL arguments?!!?!?!?"

Has your amazing approach ever worked? Even just once? I'm finding it hard to believe that someone who found his youtube videos didn't also end up looking at his twitter for one reason or another before sharing his views with other people, and if looking at his twitter is enough to shake people out of falling for his garbage then he's already preaching to their beliefs.

also

that was not, in fact, the argument

you're still the one deliberately misreading the evidence because you have a view you want to fit the evidence to, and it's your evidence, not theirs. Just because they suck at making an argument doesn't mean you get to misread your own evidence to get a sick burn in on them or some garbage.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

the defining moment in election 2016 for me was the day after the election: i was texting with a gay friend who was on public transport (big city) going to work and telling him "hey, you'll be fine dude, it's not the end of the world things will work out for the better" and then right in the middle of that, someone on the bus started harassing him because they thought he had voted trump and they were angry as gently caress

that was the moment when i realized that poo poo, people need to just calm down

The funniest part of this to me is you telling a friend he's going to be okay when you're not even in the same area code as the trouble he's in now because of Trump. I've got quite a lot of gay/minority friends and the first thing I did was never loving tell them "It's going to be okay!" I told them "I'm here for you if you need me, and I don't support this garbage Trump is spewing." One is condescending, the other is being a good friend and supporting them through a very rough time, and you probably never even got that it might have been a problem to say it.

I'm sure you were loving ecstatic to get an anecdote about how it's actually the liberals that are the real meanies, though.

Also, the thing about the "people who voted for trump weren't ALL racist" thing is:

https://www.thenation.com/article/economic-anxiety-didnt-make-people-vote-trump-racism-did/

The issue isn't that they were all racist, it's that racism is the only indicator for someone to vote Trump vs anyone else. Economic anxiety was not even a factor in his victory.

edit: wrong link whoops

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 14, 2017

• Locked thread