Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

1. This definitely isn't perjury or outright illegal, right? Just because they gave permission on their website doesn't mean that it's a legally binding statement or contract, right? Sean Vanaman even made the point that "well technically all Let's Play's are infringement, it's just a question of how much a developer or publisher lets it slide or supports it". Which I know to be more or less true, since developers have handled this stuff in many different ways, from blanket allowances, to contract deals, to just not allowing monetization at all.

It is legally binding actually. The way it works is if you place copyright rules on your site, and a reasonable person has access to them, they override whatever the "standard" rules for copyright are (assuming your rules are reasonable in turn).

Angry_Ed posted:

2. Is this a "proper" use of the DMCA? Some people with slightly cooler heads have suggested sending a cease-and-desist rather than using a DMCA takedown.

Hell no, and actually PDP has grounds for a countersuit from what I understand. Using DMCA for this was a BAD idea, especially since PDP didn't do it on a stream of their game. They honestly hosed up and a c&d might have been a better choice (though legally dubious)

Angry_Ed posted:

3. Even if it is fair use (which if I understand correctly, would have to be proven by PDP in court), does Campo Santo have any legal recourse to say "we don't want our game associated with this person even in a tertiary way because of their abhorrent world views"?

That I don't know, sadly.

EDIT: this dude seems to know whats up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhn6yrNzM3M

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Lovechop posted:

the whole thing is super long but the XJ9 / destiny chat is genuinely fascinating.

iirc, xj9's girlfriend played a character he didn't like in league of legends, so in his opinion he was 100% in the right to post her nudes online and do all this other horrendous poo poo. he couldn't understand at all why it was wrong to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc7ZMDRbF2s

v difficult listen but i found it really interesting to try to understand this dude's scary sociopathic thought process.

:stonk:

This is good thread content. Well done my dude. Like I was only gonna go for a few parts but every subsequent video managed to take it to the next level.

• Locked thread