Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Huzanko posted:

If its good for me to have an education, healthcare, etc. then it follows that it would be good for everyone to have that.

Sing it with me everybody: ~*inductive reasoning is invaliiiid*~

I actually agree with that statement, but I acknowledge that it is an assumption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Are we really doing the first principles recursion dance in here?

Yep!

Goon Danton posted:

There's no such thing as being too pedantic, friend. :fishmech:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Huzanko requesting a permaban seems like a rather extreme reaction to this. :stare:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I did always find it odd that the big scary leftist sjw forum was run by a guy named Low Tax.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I'd be careful with thinking people who disagree with you are poor benighted fools for you to enlighten. Aside from the fact that it denies them any agency in their own thoughts, it's not even remotely the only option. There are people who don't know your position, people who know it but don't agree with it for whatever reason, and people who outright reject a basic premise you're arguing from. I've had conversations with conservatives trying to get to the root of where we disagree in our worldview, and in one memorable case the guy just outright rejected that everyone has the right to exist. He just felt that it would be better if some people were dead, and those people didn't deserve any moral consideration.

You won't know what category someone falls into until you talk to them one-on-one, in person, with no audience, so it's worth trying. They can't be in a group, because arguing alongside people who agree with you makes introspection harder; and you can't be in a group, because then you're "ganging up" and making them defensive; and you can't have an audience, because then their main concern is to play to the crowd or win the conversation for their team; and you will have a damned hard time doing it on the internet, because people just don't think of words on the internet as coming from an actual person (and video chats have the potential for being recorded and basically have an implied audience). Maybe you convince them you're right, maybe you just convince them you're well-meaning, maybe you find out they're completely unreachable because of some deadlock like that.

Glazier posted:

I don't give a poo poo if they're educated or not I just want them to shut the hell up and stop influencing things,. I'd rather pass one hate speech or crime law with teeth than run a million useless PSAs.

Any law like that will only result in its being used to suppress those who pose a challenge to the existing power structures, meaning those who oppose racial/sexual/economic/political hierarchies rather than those who defend them.

:foucaultsay:

Goon Danton fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 29, 2017

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Glazier posted:

Seems to be working in Western Europe :shrug:

They're everywhere. LePen came in second in the French presidential election, the newish "basically nazis" party in Germany got 12% of the vote last time, etc etc.

Jimbot posted:

How do you deal with people who are into Originalism? Or should you not bother and it is generally a shield for people with terrible worldviews hide behind?

You mean Constitutional Originalists? It's usually a shield, but you can figure out what's behind it by doing the Socratic thing. Just ask the obvious historical questions: weren't the founders just people like everyone else? Wasn't the whole "not dealing with the slavery question" thing what helped lead to the Civil War? Was the 3/5 compromise good?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Oh god we just had a big long derail, please don't talk about the second amendment

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

gently caress a lot of posting happened.

Anyway, I think debate's effectiveness is limited, but there is a false dichotomy in the debate vs. no platform argument, something like street epistemology is a non-debate and mostly non-confrontational way to get people to question their centrally held beliefs by exposing faulty premises, reasoning and logic.

I hear the phrase "street epistemology" and I picture Socrates dressed like a youth pastor who's trying to be hip to what the kids are laying down. Am I far off?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Nah, I'm liking modern slang Socrates now.

"Well Aiden, I agree that those are all examples of being extra, but they aren't a definition of what extraness truly is."

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

business hammocks posted:

I wonder if it’s possible to use these tools on reactionaries rather than just responding to them. It seems like only idiots have access to these sleights of rhetoric with any authenticity.

A lot of it is basic rhetoric. Keep it short and punchy, get them on the defensive, find the dumbest thing they said and hammer them over it. As for the "publicly putting people in little boxes" thing, think about the "you just call anyone you don't like a Nazi!" stuff: it's entirely about trying to avoid or discredit the "Nazi" box, because a lot of their idols fit it really well, and it is absolutely not a label you want hung around your neck if you want people to listen to you.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Youtube can't tell. It just recognizes the keywords.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Lovechop posted:

new vid from my good lad shaun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wayFC5560lw

smashing it as usual

Aw yeah, nothing like a good ol' "webster defines" opening to let you know the caliber of thinker you're dealing with. And a patronizing "bless your heart" voice to rival TL;DR's snot-nosed imbecile stylings, to boot!

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

business hammocks posted:

Do any of these hot chud ladies have a patreon where they sell nudes or do custom videos? I feel like a lot of them are close.

Don't do this.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

The "citing crime statistics to prove black people commit more crime" thing is amazing. "It is fair and just for black people to be convicted of more crimes, because they get convicted of more crimes."

also, let's not forget her opening her video with a smug dictionary definition cite, which she then ignores in favor of her own definition that she made up and never states.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I don't think anyone is denying that women's bodies are commodified, just that the commodification isn't their fault and we should try not to join in on it.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

bessantj posted:

On the podcast Thomas Smith did about the Mythcon poo poo show he goes over crime stats for black v white and it's quote a good breakdown of both the way the police seem to target African Americans and how Sargon doesn't care about that.

My "favorite" anecdote comes from the DoJ investigation of the Baltimore PD, where it turns out the template for arrest reports had "black male" filled in already to save the officers time.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Yeah, take a bunch of loving nerds, and then give them recognition and money for being good at being loving nerds. I'm not sure how you'd get anything else.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Holy loving poo poo. I don't think Shaun was joking when he said he's calm and monotone in his videos because outside of them he's raging mad all the time.

Just watching clips of ignorance shows my blood. I want to point and laugh and get some comedy value out of these things like Hbomberguy seems to but holy balls, I don't think I can.

Even in Shaun's brief excerpts, I need to take breaks. It's infuriating.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Hey guys a person I have seen Shaun and Hbomb tweet seems to have gone after some accusations?

Lanadelrayathon, anyone know what happened?

Check the last few pages of the DSA thread, but the summary seems to be that they've been a sexcreep on twitter and irl at DSA events.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I hope they schism and tear each other apart. Makes life easier for the rest of us.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Which one is he, again?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

LunarShadow posted:

There is also the whole thing where a lot of people hear "social construct" and interpret that as meaning it is fake has no material effect on people.

Yeah, the "social construct = imaginary" thing is a big trap to fall into. I'm lucky I was introduced to the idea with money as the example, because it makes it very clear how something can be a social construct and still be a very real force.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

If money causes issues, use government instead.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Monglo posted:

Devil's advocate:

This is not a loving road you want to go down, dude.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Hey don't get mad at me I'm just devil's advocating for pedophilia cos y'know I'm not sure everyone here is philosophically rigorous in their dislike of it.

calmhitler.jpg

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Literally no one personally attacked you unless you consider

an attack.

It's an awkward situation for people who defend pedophilia, because "are you seriously defending pedophilia right now?" absolutely is a personal attack. It just happens to be an extremely cogent one.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Dongicus posted:

Really? Even more reductio add absurdum? C'mon guys, at least have a little tact. Try growing up and actually talk to people. Mature and grow up.

Can you at least, at the very least concede. Concede that it would be morally positive if Hbomberguy were to fall out of the iconic Pubg airplane and skydive to the ground safely, but immediately fall down some stairs. then he dies from it.

Are you actually Paul Joseph Watson? Just cause he read the ingredients on your brain juice doesn't mean he should die, dude.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Mineaiki posted:

Wow what a terrible thread.
Hey welcome back

Mineaiki posted:

Hey guys what are we talking about in this thr-------ah yeah no thanks.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

ArfJason is what happens when the apocalyptic scenario seen in Dongicus goes too far.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

TGLT posted:

No, all threads are Dark Souls threads.

But in response to that story, "computer-learning" hasn't exactly done a lot of good for content moderation on Youtube. I'd bet it's gonna start tagging a lot of videos about people discussing ISIS and poo poo alongside whatever ISIS videos it does catch.

The schadenfreude thread is about to lose all its nut shot content because YouTube will see someone fall over and think it's a beheading video.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Have we talked about Peter Coffin in here? He's another example of the left's hegemony over pointless non-STEM activities like "writing a script before you shoot your video" and "editing your video before you post it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eijYEYzAQu0

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Aramis posted:

I found the video decent if a little shallow considering how pervassive the subject is, however...

202K subscribers and 2-10K views per video, what the hell is going on here?

Usually that's someone who used to be popular, then fell off over time. People stopped watching but didn't bother to unsub.

Josef bugman posted:

I liked this video and found it interesting but this is the worst loving intro. Having to sit through the "brah" collective thing in particular. Holy poo poo that was both painfully unfunny and deeply irritating.

Yeah, he acknowledges that it's intentionally(?) annoying in the comments. I just liked the Contra borg queen :3:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

Whoa, hold your horses there, buddy. Peter Coffin is good people. Plus he has that friend of his on his show sometimes with the huge knockers.

That friend is his wife, iirc. The very same wife Fututor Magnus says is a sex doll, despite her moving and talking and things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

to be fair i'd think she was fake too since she's monstrously out of his league.

Yeah it's insane. It's like sitcom levels of mismatch.

• Locked thread