Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

why is this Chapo Trap House clip not in the op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4-g6vhiX1I

I'm new to this thread, but I recently discovered Thunderf00t via his take down of the solar frieking roadways scam. I was intrigued, but when i watched more recent videos I was amazed on what I waled into. I had no idea there were so many people out there willing to put themselves on camera complaining about women in 2 hour long stream of consciousness manifestos.

Did all this spawn from gamer gate or was that just the point where much of this became a thing? I'll never understand the internet.

It's a bit older, started with the Internet Atheist community in terms of the style, a lot of the old guard (Amazing Athiest, thunderf00t) and the obsession with 'pwnage' over actual debate.

The rabid anti-feminism has been a undercurrent on the internet for a long time now, but it started galvanizing around the Elevatorgate fiasco within the Atheist community (And 4chan/reddit outside of it), then first started bubbling over with Feminist Frequency before going full blown shitstorm with Goobergate.

Obviously that's glossing over a lot of poo poo, but it was a long time coming. GG was just the push it needed for the more rabid to go large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I've been watching clips of Bill Nye's new show recently, and got a little curious after seeing some... choice comments on these clips and turned off my censorship add-on for a moment to see the recommended videos.

It's pretty funny to see the self-proclaimed champions of science, logic and rationality tripping over each other to pump out hour long screeds calling The Science Guy a cuck or a SJW or a (((Globalist))) for... laying out scientific arguments for progressive policies. Truly the intellectual minds of tomorrow

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

boner confessor posted:

what ??? !!!

so did the guy who insists universities are hub of cultural marxist brainwashing never even graduate from high school or what the british equivalent is?????

From what I heard he finished Secondary Education, but either didn't take or didn't earn any GCSE's, the ending qualifications at that level.

Combine that with his sister apparently having some serious academic credentials and you get a picture of where Carl's seething hatred of academia stems from.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Lightning Lord posted:

Did Gamergaters in general really think the likes of Zoe Quinn, Anita Sarkeesian and Leigh Alexander were ugly or were they just attacking them in any way possible because uh

Like it was a frequent talking point and I still can't figure out if it was entirely disingenuous or not

Bit of column A, bit of column B. GooberGaters pretty much scrape the bottom of every barrel when it comes to attacking their targets. Remember that entire thing where they decided that some of their targets having brightly dyed hair meant there was a Feminist conspiracy to turn off men with "SJW hair"?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The start and end of their thinking is "Those loving whore :females: won't sleep with me... I'll show them by refusing to sleep with those slut whorey whore whores!"

It's peak pathetic, petty toxic masculinity.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

PiCroft posted:

Game grumps, Yogscast, Jim Sterling, possibly Total Biscuit although I haven't watched TB in years.

E: also Joseph Anderson and Mark Brown AKA Game Toolkit, although they're mostly game analysts and critics rather than Lets Players.

There's also Retsupurae

TB was big on GamerGate and continues to be a smug, rationalist rear end in a top hat. Beyond that his content is the worst kind of self-important, rambling gamer shite, only good if you enjoy 30 mins wanking over options menus.

Noah Caldwell-Gervais is pretty cool if you can get over his weak editing, does interesting longform thinkpieces about games and is generally just a chill, soft-spoken guy.

Deified Data posted:

Game Grumps is pretty chill, which just springs to mind due to their Jontron adjacency. His racism was why he got replaced right?

He was generally just a toxic rear end in a top hat. It got to the point where entire sections of video had to be reshot or heavily edited because he'd start screaming racial slurs or other unfunny garbage. There was also an incident where he actually pissed himself and just kept playing despite Egoraptor telling him to loving clean himself up several times.

I can't remember if that was why he got let go, as he moved to New York shortly after leaving the Grumps, but there was definitely a sense that it was a factor.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Sargon, like the rest of the alt-right/rationalists, are short-sighted and spiteful fucks who will happily vote against their best interests to gently caress over the objects of their scorn.

... just like most right-wingers tbh.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

loving lol that the Foamy The Squirrel guy is still churning out that garbage, and double lol that he's resorting to the gospel of pissbaby-ism.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

khwarezm posted:

For anyone curious, the Foamy guy was run out Newgrounds on a rail after making a cartoon with no animation that was just Foamy complaining about Mexican immigrants. Really, he even called them 'Wetbacks', and later made this 'I'm sorry except obviously I'm not' follow up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSzP4KFwC50

Sadly this cartoon is the only direct evidence of the incident I can find, the original has disappeared from the internet. You do have to marvel at someone being enough an rear end in a top hat to get kicked out of Newgrounds for racism though.

Ho-lee poo poo I did not know that. That's loving hilarious.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

bessantj posted:

That's just great.

You'd think they way that gamergate reacted Zoe Quinn demanded all men be castrated as the only avenue to world peace and Anita Sarkeesian personally killed their favourite pets and set fire to their mothers.

It still boggles my mind that GamerGate became a thing because one giant pissbaby of a manchild couldn't handle being dumped, and a hundred more pissbabies were willing to believe the drivel he was selling.

It also boggles my mind that the birthing grounds for the fascist resurgence came about because Lowtax banned a bunch of pedos 11 years ago.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
lol at Sargon still pretending to be Left Wing.

Would have thought the DUP are right up your alley Carl, they're regressive idiots to.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Dreylad posted:

paul joseph watson freaks me out because he sounds at times almost like ringo starr at the same age so some day I'm going to wake up and all the trains on Shining Time Station are going to be arriving on time

Oh there's no worry about that, there might be MOOSLIM trains so he'll continue to hide in his apartment eating books.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

PiCroft posted:

I recognize about half of them, which is depressing. Sargon, Shoe, ArmoredSkeptic, ComputingForever, MundaneMatt and I think That Guy T. I also *think* the guy just off camera whose eye you can see might be Chris Ray Gun.

I thought MundaneMatt was still in prison. God that is just the saddest picture.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Carl looks a lot like Slowbeef in that picture. Is Slowbeef secretly alt-right?!?!

That reminds me to dig through the comments on those Videogame Therapist videos Slowbeef did. So many lovely nerds coming to the realisation that Slowbeef and Betus weren't on their side and freaking out as a result, just magical.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Samovar posted:

Which were those?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow---AaOIEo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULRV6Pz3Crs&t=5s

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

it shaun posted:

Hbomb was briefly in the same room as Carl, I'm so jealous.

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/877984454706434048

I can't wait to see him brag about how much he owned them dastardly SJWs by filming them for 5 seconds.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah. I can see why someone with NRM fundie parents might go full rational atheist, and yet have some weird hangups about women, but he'd probably be mostly okay if GamerGate hadn't happened and he could stick to making sick burns about sky dads. GG seems pretty much inevitable in retrospect now though, even if Zoeethics in video games journalism hadn't happened, something else would have provided the tenuous spark.

For a while it seems like Anita was going to be that catalyst, but that never really bubbled over properly until one certain manchild didn't handle being dumped very well.

Looking just before 2014, the ingredients for GooberGate were all there but it's incredible to me that the ultimate spark was from such a banal and pathetic place.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Honestly, the warning signs were kinda there. Before this I'd only ever hear of her because she said some dumb White Feminism/TERFy bullshit that usually ended with some mealy-mouthed apology.

Looking back, her "Truth is in the middle, we have to hear both sides" position was going to make her at the very least a useful idiot for regressive shitbirds.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Lampsacus posted:

Oh wow I enjoy 3/4 of the super team without even knowing they had some association! Who is the person in the top right of the photo?

Hbomberguy, local Goon done good.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
ChrisRayGun's the Gamergate:the Musical guy isn't he?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Lightning Lord posted:

Who was that guy who was anti-GG until that Witcher 3 review that said "This game is goddamn amazing and my only real criticism is its also very white" then he had a full-on meltdown and became virulently alt-right?

Ian Miles Cheong, the same guy who had GG calling him a Nazi for a year before he joined because of said Witcher review.

He's kinda the most pathetic man alive, and he's covered in ants.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
More likely he's had a falling out with someone behind the scenes and is throwing a temper tantrum, as is the Rational tradition.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

LanceHunter posted:

Really, I'm kinda surprised that VidCon is even letting these drama magnets in. I mean, they seem to be interested in getting more corporate and mainstream each year, and you'd think that having a bunch of alt-righters showing up and making a stink could hurt that agenda.

Nerd Cons have never had a good track record of keeping an eye on and dealing with potential troublemakers. Though as SNG said though they probably won't start anything IRL, just try to stir up some Twitter drama as they always do.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Honestly, a safer bet is that a few more of them will have a falling out as their toxic personalities bubble out and someone does some stupid poo poo.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

NikkolasKing posted:

https://twitter.com/Skutchdraws/status/878062824689254400

I'm probably gaining entirely too much joy out of this e-drama but gently caress it, the outside world is falling apart.

These loving idiots can't hold themselves together for the minute it takes to ask a question, some loving masterrace intellectual elite. Take away their online anonymity and they're reduced to stammering cowards, like here or in that call show.

A pity then, that their anonymity allows them to ruin people's lives with nary a slap on the wrist

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Picture seems a little advised, my face is literally Dan O's there.

If there were a pair that could probably be talked over to the side of basic human decency it'd be Shoe and AS, but their circle is so loving toxic, it's little wonder why people are saying this wasn't the best idea.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
'SJWs' aren't a cohesive group like the Alt-Right and the Rationals are. Hell, the word has lost all meaning by virtue of those two groups using it to describe pretty much anyone they don't like.

At best you could say some fringe leftists on Tumblr/Twitter, but they're so insignificant they hardly count.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Dreylad posted:

There are plenty of divisions within the alt-right. The Manosphere, the white nationalists, the "alt-light," young Republicans, the 4chan crowd, and further subdivisions within those groups.

Yeah, but that still doesn't make "SJW" an actual group though. It's an nebulous concept that has lost what little meaning it had.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Fados posted:

Why did she have to address Carlgon personally instead of let's say point out of his videos actually contribute to cyber abuse. I guess that would've been a much greater ownage of the rationals to me, to point them out to their faces in detail how they are fact, garbage humans. It feels a lot less useful to just state it directly. About the point of swaying people, yeah well I'll drop it because who cares about this internet drama anyway. It just reminds me of the "Deplorables" style of activist/public discourse which I think is counterproductive, even if in this specific case I know she probably has a personal moral right to do it.

Honestly, the way he's melting down on Twitter right now, going for the quip instead of anything more substantial was the better call.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Someone please spare a thought for poor ol' Carl of Swindon, an innocent soul. Can't a man spend thousands of Pounds to fly halfway across the world on a holiday for the express purpose of intimidating someone he's spent a lot of time demonising for money?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
You're going to bat incredibly hard for someone who definitively doesn't deserve it.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Fados posted:

I'm not defending Carlgon, he deserves to be called much worse, I'm just bothered that they will monetize this bullshit for weeks to come, and I feel she could've prevented that somewhat by using the opportunity of them and being there to point out in what specific way, what they do, makes em human garbage. I don't really fault her either way for going for her cathartic moment given the circumstances, I just feel like if I was in same place I would've tried something different.

No matter what she did he would have made bank of it. If she'd ignored his presence he'd have called her a coward, if she'd had him removed he'd have went just as ballistic as he is now (if not more so). Hell, if she invited him on stage for an impromptu debate he'd have found a way to spin things to make him the victim and rake in those shitlord bucks.

Fuckos like Carlgon are disingenuous cowards, the best thing to do is not give them the pleasure of legitimacy.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Fados posted:

A quick google came up with this livestream hosted by Carlgon where Anthony participates and yeah, you guessed it, it's about Anita and feminist frequency. I don't have the stomach to listen to this poo poo, so I can't tell how much of a rear end in a top hat he is but by the company it's probably not good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHGl-JexwSs

He was also in that "Questions White Men have for SJWs" garbage and keeps on telling progressives to drink bleach.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Both Shaun and Dan O have really nice, clear voices that makes their videos much more enjoyable to watch.

Also helps that both of them script their videos to get to the bloody point.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The sudden rush of idiots jumping on the Youtube Rational bandwagon is giving me flashbacks of the late 2000's/early 2010's Internet Media Critic rush.

Wonder if it'll turn out the same way, with idiots like Sargon scrambling around desperately for relevance in a few years.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

landgrabber posted:

The Angry Social Justice Nerd

I was gonna say The Irate Antifeminist, but isn't that an oxymoron? :v:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

horseshoetheory.jpg

I swear SomethingAwful is just a better educated bizzaro 4chan with the way people act

Opposing Nazis makes you the real Nazi, etc etc.

Just come out as the closeted Sargon fan you are IFM.

Or better yet, gently caress off back to 4chan already. You never loving shut up about it in any thread I've seen you in.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

I was a fan of Sargon till he lost his marbles at the start of the year

Gamergate was a mistake as it open the doors to people like Sargon to pretend that they are just rational critics of the regressive left but just turned into garden variety bigotry and spewing bullshit that looks legit but is really them twisting data and information to their own ends

Sargon was always an idiot. Tell me, what attracted you to him in the first place? The only thing that's changed is that's somehow gotten worse at arguing his points.

Also Gamergate was loving stupid, fullstop.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Generally, with drama of any sort, it pays to be on the side that's not infested with Nazis.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Nah its not like a cabal of game journalists and developers weren't conspiring together or anything

Fuckin' lol, you're such a loving manbaby.

OH NOES, PEOPLE IN A TIGHT KNIT INDUSTRY TALK TO EACH OTHER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Gorn Myson posted:

Just did this and the Anita found out and called the police on me. Shes harassing me and should be called out for it.

I heard she called you a Garbage Person as well, better get on Twitter and try and incite another lynch mob.

• Locked thread