Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Colonel J posted:

Is Jordan Peterson worth anything? Seems like every white male between 20 and 30 years old around me watches him religiously.

I can talk about him somewhat. If you were to tell me a year ago that Jordan Peterson would've been considered part of the alt-right crowd on Youtube, I wouldn't have believed you. He might not have been known worldwide, but in Canada he was certainly not a nobody. He was a frequent guest of many provincial television stations in Ontario, and a rather reliable one too. He had his own short-lived-but-unironically-good TV program which should be buried in his Youtube channel somewhere. He even had an hour on Canada's most prestigious intellectual radio program, and they don't just hand that poo poo out.

But, it wasn't enough. He wanted more. When I first noticed something about him seemed "different" than before, another person in the Canadian Politics thread brought up how there was rumours in academic circles of him getting "tired of getting no exposure, or grant money, or TED Talk invites, [aka, fairly normal academic poo poo that happens] and finally drank deep from the chalice of alt right poison."

I can crosspost this from the right-wing media thread and this from the Canadian politics thread about him going from being a legit professor of psychology into what he has since become.

I wrote those two posts before it became clear just how off the deep end he had gone. I haven't really looked at any of his stuff since the about-face he did with Bill C-16/Parl-42; haven't had the heart for it. I checked once and he had a video called "Is this a picture of Mohammed?" and the first few minutes of it sounded like he was losing his mind. (Especially when compared to the academic rigorousness of his older stuff.) I actually used to like the guy, and his earlier stuff had actually affected me in a positive way. It hurts to see him become what he has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Dreylad posted:

Also on the subject of money and youtube content, it totally is about the cash. Jordan Peterson gets paid $160,000 from his tenured position at the University of Toronto but he's still raking in more money with his Patreon to the tune of *checks* holy poo poo $50k a month???

50 grand a month to take on post-modernism and do a lecture series about the psychology of the biblical stories gently caress me

Peterson, even though we're talking about him in the same context as these others, should really be in a another category. He was on traditional TV and radio within Canada for at least 20 years before transitioning to YouTube. It's possible that an income that high would be him cashing in on what took quite a while to build up. Others on the alt-right wouldn't have arrived on the scene with the same privledges and advantages as he has.

Adding to that would be how it wasn't always obvious what his politics were -- he was presented as a neutral professional for so much of it that you had to listen really closely to get even a hint of what his true nature was underneath. Hell, even I used to like the guy, and was even saving up to buy his expensive book before he lost his drat mind for fame and profit. I'd imagine there are probably other hangers-on who either missed all the recent controversy or are avoiding the unfortunate introspection that they were wrong to trust the guy.

• Locked thread