Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"When I go out with my many friends and associates, I want my white robes looking their best, that's why I buy Tide brand detergent. And when I'm in a more casual mood, only Kiwi brand boot polish gives me that real minstrel show appeal."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ManlyGrunting posted:

"Bill Nye the Science Goy"

That's not a very good name for someone who is supposed to be a mouthpiece of the international Jewish illuminati.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hard science > soft science people are daft. Yeah no poo poo if you limit your questions to easily quantifiable things you get more easily quantifiable answers. Congrats on playing on babby mode.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I enjoy the implicit assertion that because soft science is hard to do, that the gut feelings of people on youtube are more accurate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And people sometimes wonder why I don't like reddit and have no desire to ever use it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looking at how he is today they might have had the right idea tbh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

boner confessor posted:

what ??? !!!

so did the guy who insists universities are hub of cultural marxist brainwashing never even graduate from high school or what the british equivalent is?????

Secondary school is mandatory in the UK so unless he didn't go to 6th form or something I dunno how that works.

You can leave compulsory education at 16.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jesus if he has no GCSEs he's got to be almost totally unemployable and completely ineligible for any further education without doing remedial courses.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like, 5 GCSEs at grade C or above is basically the absolute minimum for any job I've ever seen advertised.

Jesus it makes his attitude towards proper debate easier to contextualize, I did go to uni and I still wouldn't dare do an actual debate with an academic...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because contrary to popular belief, atheism does not make you smart or knowledgeable.

There's a common trend among youtube "intellectuals" which is that they appear to believe that objective truth is defined by what smart people think.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also when there is the entire world above you criticizing you but your brain is too broke to notice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The issue is that they don't spend their time trying to take down dangerous religion-proximal politicians. They spend their time using their avowed "rationality" to make peepee doodoo argument against actual academic subjects that are quite important to assisting the agency of the people the crazy religion harping politicians are often trying to oppress.

They are on the wrong side, merely for a seemingly different reason.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WampaLord posted:

Are you loving kidding me with this?

Look at the number of abortion clinics closing in red states and come back here and claim that theologians don't have any say in politics.

I mean depending on what you define as "theology" that still isn't necessarily the case.

Like I would tend to view stuff like abortion as being primarily an issue of ill-defined "traditionalism", a desire to control others, a desire to punish the "undeserving". It's something you see throughout a lot of politics even in areas that are kind of divorced from any obvious religious affiliation. Obviously abortion specifically is very tied up with religion but it so closely follows the same trend that I rather doubt you would see it cease to be taboo even if you lived in a substantially less religious society. You see the same thing in people who want punitive justice, in people who want to dismantle welfare, in people who hate immigration. The running theme is that people want people who aren't them to suffer. I'm inclined to think they derive some kind of quasi-sexual gratification from it from the way they go on about it, but whatever the reason is the trend seems pretty noticeable.

I suppose I would tend to view that form of religion as largely a symptom of a political problem, rather than the other way around. Politics having a say in theology, I suppose.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mojo1701a posted:

I'm still not 100% familiar with the context, but how did this actually come about? I mean, I get that he might be stupid enough to think he can debate a Ph. D, but how does one convince an academic to debate a YouTube idiot?

She does currently spend a lot of time wading through youtube poo poo as is, though I don't know if that's as a result of that debate or part of the reason she was willing to do it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

boner confessor posted:

isn't religious education still somewhat compulsory in the english education system?

It was when I went to school.

As to why they're all Brits I think the UKMT definition of the UK as "rainy fascist island" is apt. The UK never really stopped believing that its Empire was good and there's a bunch of people crawling out of the woodwork to advocate for all the best bits of British Imperial policy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Midig posted:

Is there any real difference from being posh and a snob? They sort of sound like the same thing to me.

You can be a snob without being posh, and posh without being a snob. Posh is what you are, snobby is how you act.

mojo1701a posted:

Yeah he's terrible for that. His actual oration is worse too, like he reads aloud in the same way that bridesmaids do at all the weddings I've ever been to.

At least Sargon speaks to you instead of at you (relatively).

Also I continue to be unable to take white nationalism seriously in a Welsh/west country accent.

Alright my luvvers, oo faaancies a bit of a pugrum eyy?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 12, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But he sounds like a member of the Wurzels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb63PdPweDc

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He seriously sounds like a farmer who got bitten by a radioactive 1930's political theory textbook.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

zoe quinn is not attractive dude. i know goons grade on a curve so i have to factor that in. it's also immaterial to gamergate.

Rude.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like marxism did a lot for getting me socially adapted. If you come to the majority of people you meet recognizing that you have common cause and common struggles then you are more inclined to be empathetic towards them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SteelMentor posted:

The start and end of their thinking is "Those loving whore :females: won't sleep with me... I'll show them by refusing to sleep with those slut whorey whore whores!"

It's peak pathetic, petty toxic masculinity.

:vince: when the gently caress did that smiley happen?

Midig posted:

Its weird how lack of self esteem can turn into a severe form of arrogance.

Self hatred is arrogance, it's assuming you know better than everyone else in the world no matter what they say, that you're poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Low Desert Punk posted:

Rough guesstimate, how many YouTube gaming channels are out there that aren't explicitly misogynistic and racist? Every single big channel I click on takes about 2 videos before they start making TRIGGERED jokes and making fun of feminists.

The only one I really know of off the top of my head is Cinemassacre, which is probably the most sweet and pure channel on YouTube

Most of the SA LP groups are pretty chill.

But gamers are generally scum so that's bound to be the exception rather than the rule.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

unlike the pewds he has a lovely and manly voice.

Seriously I could listen to that voice for ages, I wish he did more stuff just speaking normally.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you think about it, my computer having a driver problem is basically drapetomania.

Basically.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We also already have an ideology that seeks to make machinery more important than the people operating it, it's called capitalism :v:

Why do you keep trying to come up with new ways of describing captialism?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Replace the human with the machine, legalize the machine, criminalize the human, the machine can't strike, the machine doesn't need paying.

It'd make a great setting for a dystopian cyberpunk novel is all I'm saying.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who What Now posted:

You mean Shadowrun?

I thought Shadowrun was basically the cyberpunk kitchen sink setting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

Can you tell us any fascinating stories? I've always wondered what their rear end in a top hat followers are like IRL

I assume round, inability to shave properly, up their own arse about everything, and stupid, much like the source material.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If we actually could get him picked up by PREVENT it'd be pretty funny.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That whole "nonfunctional concept of empathy" thing again, one might think.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

Stepmoms was like last year, now it's full-on moms.

That is the weirdest trend.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

2017: the year when everyone decided incest was amazingly hot.

That's what is going to be in the fossil record in 2000 years.

Fuckin' anime nazis and sisterfucking. Two things I did not expect to see become mainstream before I was 30.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 25, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mewnie posted:

So I've noticed something on Twitter- I get promoted tweets and whenever a trailer for the upcoming Baywatch movie comes up, a flood of Libertarians, Pepe and Classical bust avatars start saying how terrible it is and why does "Holly-pedo-wood" keep making this trash :allears:

Is this part of their war against Cultural Marxism? Shitposting on Twitter about dumb comedy movies? This is the culture wars to them?

Hang on why do libertarians dislike the idea of inappropriate contact with children?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Rational actors should be able to sell their bodies at any age

No I mean why would libertarians complain about kiddy fiddling, they're all for it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

British people cannot laugh, we merely affect the display of the emotion to put people less depressed at ease.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DS2 is the best DS game though.

They are all good games but DS2 is my favorite.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fight me,

(which you actually can do because bellbro best pvp)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Midig posted:

Your opinion is wrong.

He's a fake laugher, he laughs like a hwhite person.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose it would be the next logical step in the Far Cry series of games, being games where you go to attractive exotic locations and kill their inhabitants as part of your journey of self discovery.

They have the plot of a teen coming of age movie except the event that prompts the "maybe the thing I was searching for was inside me all along" revelation is killing thousands of people.

So it's a 19th century British landed gentry coming of age movie.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AFAIK he wasn't a nazi and the charge was stupid and mostly manufactured by media hysteria. He isn't remotely wrong about how the British press works.

Considering the stuff our press and politicians say themselves on a daily basis I find it really difficult to be happy about some rando getting sent to prison for far less objectionable material as it probably will gently caress up his life.

The law, sadly, is not applied on those who most deserve it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 31, 2017

• Locked thread