Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Sarcopenia posted:

Hey btw can anyone explain what's up with Jesse Singal and the whole Terf thing? I see that a lot of the reasonable people I follow on twitter follows him and when I read their Terfy conversion piece I was kinda disgusted so I'm very confused as to why this dude is followed by the likes of Will Menaker and PeterNorway?

So they can mock him for bad takes, I'm guessing, and Singal's got a lot of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Maybe their paper was titled "Why We Need Free Speech On Campus and Why I Need Hot Oil On My Dick"

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

JVNO posted:

I'm a TA, I know. I was speaking quite literally.

Speaking of TAs...

Last week, a student TA at Wilfred Laurier University in Ontario decided to show a video debate between Jordan Peterson and some other guy about gender pronouns to a intro Communications course. For what specific purpose, I don't know, but it was apparently shown uncritically to 'provide both sides of the argument.' A few students complained about this, and the TA was informed of this and verbally reprimanded. The TA secretly recorded her being told about the complaints by two professors and leaked it to a Canadian newspaper. The university and professors involved were pressured to apologize, and the TA will no doubt make the rounds in conservative media, like James Damore did, to talk about THE TRANSTAPO or whatever censoring free speech.

What was her draconian, censorious punishment? Being asked to submit lesson plans in advance, and have a professor occasionally observe her class.

I know this is just sort of tangentially related to this thread, but it just kind of sticks in my craw. JBP's views on trans people and pronouns are straight-up nonsense that enables and emboldens bigotry but incidents like this are being used by right wingers to create an environment where ideas can't be evaluated on the merits, but rather they must be platformed simply because someone has them. It's stupid "teach the controversy" poo poo and I can't stand it. A lot is being made of how the professors made her cry (which is ironic for a crowd that loves to proclaim how "facts don't care about your feelings :smug:), but never bothering to consider how trans people feel in an environment where the legitimacy of their identities are up for debate. This TA was clearly intending to stir poo poo up, and spoke to the media about "political correctness" and "radical leftist indoctrination," despite claiming to be a leftist. So now she's going to have her moment in the sun while an already marginalized group of people get demonized even further.

So if you know a JBP fan, or are tuned in to the alt-right/rationalist world, expect to hear about this if you haven't already.

In better news, good people Dan Olsen, Hbomb, and Lindsay Ellis all have new videos up.

aware of dog fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 23, 2017

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Mr Interweb posted:

Since we're on the subject of Peterson, I've mentioned this in the thread already the other day, but what do you say to someone who insists that he's right about the idea of "compelled speech". These people argue that it's fine to prevent certain speech, but being forced to say something specifically is a different matter. I don't know how good that argument is, especially since if you care about "free speech" so much, then you would also agree that being prevented to express certain words is just as bad (since that is literally stifling speech).

Well he's dead wrong about pronouns as far as on a private, personal level. But when you're in certain positions, like a professor or an employer, you are legally required to act in a nondiscriminatory manner, and gender identity falls under that. If, say, an employee makes a reasonable request to address them by a particular pronoun, yeah you have to abide by that. Keep in mind that for Peterson, this was already the case prior to C16: Ontario already had added gender identity to their non-discrimination statute.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

This is apparently a paid event (by which I mean tickets cost $30/$80), put on by a conservative student group, and her being part of essentially a fundraiser for a bunch of chuds... idk it doesn't sit quite right with me

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

business hammocks posted:

Are we sure it’s a fundraiser and not just a university event?

The ticketing page says its specifically the club presenting the event and doesn't mention the university itself, so it seems so, yeah.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Apparently a bunch of 4channers are trying to get Kraut and Tea kicked off YouTube.

I guess he just wasn't racist enough for them? :shrug:

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Kjoery posted:

so, apparently some of The Skeptics/Alt-Righers are turning on Peterson(?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iFi4p4QC44

i'm trying to figure out what peterson do to piss them off. im thinking they just realized one day that he was extremely christian (that took a while), and their more staunchly athiest base began to turn.

It's because he dared to question racial pride and ethno-nationalism.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
"Actual fascists": postmodern neomarxist social justice professors who say mean things about him

Not "actual fascists": white supremacists

aware of dog fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 1, 2017

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Also to dig up a subject from a while ago, Jesse Singal deleted his twitter after going on a tirade yesterday about how progressives actually agree with him about trans people but are too afraid to admit it

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

What does agreeing with him mean given that I thought he was still trying to pretend that he's pro trans?

I'm not too clear on the details but iirc he posted an article from The American Conservative (surely an unbiased source if here ever was one) about trans people and said that progressives agreed with it but wouldn't admit it. I would guess it would mean that he thinks people share his hand-wringing feelings about trans people and other "gender-critical" ideas, but I don't really know for sure.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Mr Interweb posted:

How the hell is Peterson so successful? I mean, he's like THE most successful alt-right pandering youtuber (that's not already a well known factor like Alex Jones, etc.) in history. The amount of money he collects on his patreon far surpasses that of even Sargon. And yet, the main source of his claim to fame is that he...didn't want to use certain pronouns for transgender people.

Was just about to say. This dude says a LOT of poo poo that would be just in line with the Spencer crowd.

You just don't get his wisdom. He's fighting Nazis and fascists.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Kjoery posted:

oh no, I think I get it. you see, at first, there were no facists or nazis, or he had to create them initially, so that he fight them. its all part of his 17d strategio brain genius psyche

Woah you're right. Now that's definitely worth $60K* a month on patreon.

*Guessing cause he made the amount of money he makes private

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

i love how skeptics/rationals think "ad hominem!" or "strawman!" is a response. anyone who isn't like 19 is gonna laugh at your rear end.

"Not an argument!"

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/contrapoints/status/938463688834584577
Well that's good news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Genocyber posted:

This is like the one good post made about Hbomberman in the last two pages.

Can we talk about something else now.

e: Bleugh, I'm watching a livestream Conta is doing now with a lefty Youtuber who has criticized her, and she (Contra) is defending Singal again, with a weird "he's a philosopher" defense.

Did she really say that? That's pretty drat disappointing. I've read a couple of trans women writers going through their experiences with Singal (Julia Serano wrote about it here, Katelyn Burns also wrote about it on Twitter recently too) and the more I read about him the more he seems like a piece of poo poo. For example, he tagged a post refuting criticism he received from Katelyn and tagged it with "#Gamergate," presumably so shitheads would find it and harass her.

• Locked thread