Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Symbolic Butt posted:

carl of akkad is bickering with shaun over some super petty poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhys4voMC40

His entire assumption for her being from a rich background that invalidates her experience as a social worker is that the area she grew up has expensive houses today? :psyduck:

Sargon is as sharp as a brick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

the whole blaming black "culture" for them getting shat on is so annoying with that poo poo about fatherless children. for one, like someone else stated we created it by decimating an entire generation of men by throwing them into prison for nothing crimes which then fucks over generation after generation after generation. for two, as boner confessor pointed out just saying a child is raised by a single mother is misleading - in fact, if i remember correctly black unmarried fathers are part of the day to day upbringing of their children more than any other racial group in that category.

none of these people ever look down to root causes it's always looking at the very surface and declaring that the reason.

I haven't watched many of these but a lot of them just seem to be grasping for excuses to back up prejudices whilst being blind or downplaying systemic flaws that contribute. It's easy to say most black men are criminals because it's on the news, there's so many black gangsters in TV/film and look at these incarceration rates. Then there's no scrutiny into the effects of poverty, the quality of the education system, racism in law enforcement which I imagine is from a belief in meritocracy/"my own life is difficult but I'm not a criminal".

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
What's some entertaining critical videos apart from Hbomberguy?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It would be helpful if you defined what kind of videos you want, Carecat. Given the thread, I'm guessing it's not videogames, but do you prefer video responses to see the grossest far right YouTubers made fun of, or do you actually want argumentation and subject-focused essays?

Youtube intellectual mocking naturally. Maybe a little more in depth than Shaun and Jen but I don't really see the point of long form responses to people who can't grasp that having a McDonalds in Saudi Arabia might be a poor measurement of personal freedom. You could just play a fart sound effect to how poorly thought through some of these opinions are.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 7, 2017

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I thought TL;DR sounded smug but Kraut and Tea is even worse. Can't decide if the fact he named himself TL;DR is self aware seeing as the guy doesn't bother to read what they are quoting. I'm not sure which of these guys are self aware of their cherry picking or misrepresentation because a lot of their videos completely fall apart if they couldn't do either of these.

Carl or Thunderf00t strike me as true believers which is why they both struggle with their messaging. Carl is all over the place and attracting the far right he doesn't respect whereas Thunderf00t got totally sidetracked in Anita. In comparison someone like Shoe0nhead is obviously clickbait who probably agrees with some of it but is purely in it to manipulate the audience.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I'm not sure the alt right have a hope of grasping French politics when it's very different to the US and neither of these candidates fit into the republican/democrat molds.

Not saying I do but I'm also not trying to influence votes.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

boner confessor posted:

"anyone who uses violence to advocate for or against a political position is a triggered cuck, unlike me, who acts like a civilized man while i shout vicious insults into a can from the comfort of my bedroom"

I don't get the impression the alt right believe in any kind of physical protesting.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Lightning Lord posted:

Did Gamergaters in general really think the likes of Zoe Quinn, Anita Sarkeesian and Leigh Alexander were ugly or were they just attacking them in any way possible because uh

Like it was a frequent talking point and I still can't figure out if it was entirely disingenuous or not

I think attacking people on appearance is a way of discrediting or dehumanizing them. Which is kind of their whole approach despite being 'intellectuals' is just to straw man? They just cherry pick lines out of context, ignore parts of the research they quote that disagrees with their argument, straw man all opponents as being Tumblr super SJWs...

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I see Sargon's very first video was him hopping aboard the Anita bashing train. I wonder if watching thunderf00ts first few Anita videos got him started.

TL;DR seems like someone who thought "I could make money from that" in a slightly more subtle way than shoe0nhead's MRA clickbait.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Technology fetishists are frustrating. Yes technology has changed (most) of the world but the cool toys are just for the first world, even there we have massive inequality and are doing little about pollution. We have a lot of issues today that aren't going to go away with mass market electric cars and there is no sign of the nanotechnology or AI in the near future to make your dreams come true. Stick to issues within the next 10-20 years and don't assume technology will fix everything, as we see with nuclear power failing to replace fossil.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
There's a new(ish) shaun and jen about Paul Joseph Watson. Think he actually managed to annoy S&J.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9xmpikmsBI

What I didn't realize is he's from Info Wars until I saw this one also taking him to task for his popular culture video from a guy who's main thing is album reviews so he's well placed to critique him about music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNmta1gFjxU

Carecat fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 18, 2017

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Lovechop posted:

new S&J video slaying that kraut and tea guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4be-OeVrQM

thumbnails extremely on point lately

The hypocrisy :eyepop:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Corbyn was anti EU before the referendum but it's an incredibly poisoned chalice for any party to deal with. If you said you would cancel Brexit you'd be very likely to lose a good chunk of votes and not have enough seats to form a government.

Yes it was Facebook hiring thousands (more) in response to the livestreaming murder guy.

Firing off a rude twitter message at someone you don't like sounds both petty and pointless.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 19, 2017

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

aware of dog posted:

This is pretty dumb. The speaker of the house used to make his interns read Atlas Shrugged and there are Randian true believers with immense financial resources to toss around in the political realm. There are no "SJWs" that have such power and influence, and acting like they're at all comparable is a gross exaggeration.

I think that would be Hollywood or at least part of it. Entertainment contains quite a lot of outspoken people who can make the news. Still it's on a different level to what someone like Rupert Murdoch has managed.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

He's like a slightly evolved version of Karl Pilkington.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
When Trump retweeted it became worth looking into. The phrasing at the end of the article was very poor, not fair to doxx people unless they are like violentacrez.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

he also hosed over everyone at majong apart from the cfo (they;re the only ones who got the windfall from microsoft despite the fact that the other people polished the game to the state microsoft bought it in)

It turned out this bit isn't true.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
It doesn't work like that. If you win the lottery you will be pretty loving pleased for a bit but it brings to the forefront the other areas of your life you don't have success as well as pretty much permanently removing realistically achievable sums of money as a goal or reward.

TRUE HAPPINESS seems to come from being able to continually make personal progress in multiple areas as well as a worldview that can actually accept what you have and not be jealous/bitter/jaded.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Lovechop posted:

i'd do the reverse of all this

Oh you mean the normal for rich people.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Bill Gates has the right idea because he can spend infinite time, funds and effort on a problem but also make progress, build a legacy and a direction for his family.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
A lot of the audience are only interested in confirmation of existing bias, they have no interest in Shaun And Jen deconstructing the dog whistle racism of "Why don't moderate muslims condemn terror attacks?".

Also there's a new Shaun and Jen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUbxVfSqtt8

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Shaun is swearing! As the video goes on I can see why :eyepop:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Rush Limbaugh and Fox News have almost single-handedly radicalized an entire party and roughly 40% of all US voters in the span of two decades. Republicans 20 years ago were racist, but they still had a concept of a national good and world standing. The idea that Sargon (the new Rush) has no effect on discourse is wildly underestimating how much stuff like this creates entire narratives for people. In fact, Rush is at least just a regular old christian conservative, while Sargon is "baby's first intro to white nationalism".

Uh this seems like a wildly rose tinted view of the situation 20 years ago.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Strikes me as obviously undemocratic to tell people they shouldn't vote third party. I assume the point we kept them around in two party systems is to provide an alternative to just not voting if there is disillusionment or a bad candidate and in extreme cases a route to replace a collapsing party. If the choice was two big parties or not voting they could continue business as normal until they got more and more out of touch. With a third party around you can see your vote share decreasing as it moves over to them.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 10, 2017

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Wow the last couple of pages went down the toilet.

When someone I knew years ago linked me to a Sargon video, before I read this thread or had much idea about who he was, it was in a conversation of them complaining about immigrants and using him to back up their points. They weren't at the point they would call Hbomberguy or Shaun And Jen cucks but they wouldn't have accepted their arguments or changed any of their opinions. I think for them it was very nationalistic, these people should stay in their own countries, not take jobs and none of their culture should be brought over here. I don't think those opinions will be countered by anything except positive personal exposure to diversity leading to "Hey these immigrants aren't too bad" and a decreased intake of bias pushing media.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 13, 2017

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
If the chat teaches me anything it's that people are incredibly caught up on the number of genders.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Didn't watch the whole thing but the Laci Green hangout with Contra was a bit pointless as it was just her agreeing with everything as they defined basic stuff that would only be objectionable if you were easily triggered Alt Right. I don't know if it was so much her being a door mat as it was the content.

Laci using speakers for her own audio is a 10+ year old skype mistake :ughh:

Carecat fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 14, 2017

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Samovar posted:

I honestly cannot believe Lambic thinks we in this thread are biased against Sargon. All he does is cherry-pick certain quotes without any substantial evidence if they wanted to prove we were, they would pull up everyone's entire posting history with correct notation indicating the so-called bias.

Lack of analysis, not bothering to do any research, cherry picking arguments? This all sounds strangely familiar.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Edible Hat posted:

What is Sargon of Akkad's philosophy anyway? Does he cite any philosophers during his videos (in a non-perfunctory manner)?

Mostly the British tabloid idea of common sense? He makes me think of a Daily Mail reader, all anger and hate.

If you never been exposed to it let Charlie Brooker give you an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPlEIryW8zA

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I imagine a lot of you saw this but it's the best bit on Islam I've seen in some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOb2KQHr7V0

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Kjoery posted:

maybe hes an undoomed fan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CVVWSXIR0k&t=145s
maybe this is international friend zone solidarity week

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

It's like a sex offender is crawling through my speakers. I want a restraining order against youtube.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Rich people and twitter is proving to be an unexpectedly interesting combination.

Trying to imagine in 100 years when they look back at the lives of early 2000s billionaires and go through Notch's tweets. They being the last ten thousand humans living on the floating artificial island.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 18, 2017

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Total amount of man hours spent arguing about gaming and gender: More than the rest of human history combined
Total sum of gaming influenced by gender issues: A handful of RPG characters, The Sims which is for girls so none of them cared, Spelunky maiden options

Carecat fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 24, 2017

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
But that is all about avoiding higher age ratings, a mainstream media reaction and/or retailers refusing to stock your game. None of that is impacted by SJWs or feminists.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

business hammocks posted:

She's not saying they actually matter: she's saying that they match the alt-right's rhetorical technique and make a convenient target for them. She IS saying that the left hasn't presented many attractive ideas to cultivate opposition to an energized right. The right would be there regardless; tumblr just happens to be the fiction they use to claim to oppose something powerful (16-year-olds sending death threats to Steven Universe fans for drawing the characters too skinny).

Well from my knowledge of the alt right, which is mostly Youtube and pepe posters, they are almost exclusively focused on issues around feminism and race. They are certainly energized but I'm not sure that we need attractive ideas to cultivate opposition to regressive rights proponents who broadly propose white supremacy even if a chunk of them refuse to admit to it, as if it's a coincidence most of their arguments blame immigrants. Even if Sargon initially appears calm, intelligent (hah) and doesn't display the immediate bias of the more nutty youtubers he still frequently goes in to a rage and spits abuse.

I might have too narrow a view here as I have only seen things brought up in this thread and there's much more popular guys like Dave Rubin(?) who I assume aren't as extreme.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Can someone clarify who the regressive left is Youtubers refer to? Extreme tumblrites?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
And cultural marxists?

What the gently caress does that even mean.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
We have George Takei as counterbalance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Editing might count as making a transformative use of the video but being a lazy bastard may have finally tripped him up with insufficient defense for fair use.

• Locked thread