Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
With respect to filmmakers with an outsized sense of self-importance, I'm amazed that RiffTrax was ever able to license a single Scott Shaw movie (Rollergator) considering how litigious, pompous, and protective he reportedly has been. There has to be some kind of story there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

With respect to filmmakers with an outsized sense of self-importance, I'm amazed that RiffTrax was ever able to license a single Scott Shaw movie (Rollergator) considering how litigious, pompous, and protective he reportedly has been. There has to be some kind of story there.

Shaw's bio on his website is a must read: https://www.scottshaw.com/kansai.html

"In the 2001 film Undercover X (aka No Boundaries), Shaw plays an undercover LAPD detective named Truck Baker, a cross between action star Chuck Norris and The Dude from The Big Lebowski."

RiffTrax MUST do that at some point.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Isn't he also responsible for Ghost Baby? So he probably just likes money. :iiam:

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

quote:

There has to be some kind of story there

:20bux: is :20bux:

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
Decided to put on Dancin': It's On! last night to watch something while I go to bed. Ended up wide awake by the end laughing my rear end off. I feel like I need to make people watch it, it's so bad good. I couldn't get over David Winters being in it. Space Mutiny is my all time favorite MST3k.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One I enjoyed recently is the very volleyball-deficient volleyball movie Spiker which turns into an espionage movie towards the end? Also maybe sponsored by a chain we never got but seems delightful in Souplantation.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I've always found bizarre about Spiker is how it starts out following the one guy but then he quits the team and is just gone from the rest of the movie mostly.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It’s also a movie mostly about training to make the Olympics, I don’t know if they even do it because they filmed the finale in a random gym

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

One thing I've always found bizarre about Spiker is how it starts out following the one guy but then he quits the team and is just gone from the rest of the movie mostly.

It's a movie if I wonder where the full version explains more but... honestly the full version making some of these movies makes sense is kind of rare. Mostly it's just 'the same but longer.'

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

TheOneVader posted:

Decided to put on Dancin': It's On! last night to watch something while I go to bed. Ended up wide awake by the end laughing my rear end off. I feel like I need to make people watch it, it's so bad good. I couldn't get over David Winters being in it. Space Mutiny is my all time favorite MST3k.

I cannot believe Dancin': It's On cost twelve million dollars to make.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Finally got around to watching Paradise Motel. I think we owe The Room an apology.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The industrial accident short in Grimtrax is just magical.

Still, Shake Hands With Danger has that goddamn guitar riff that will never be topped.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Barudak posted:

The industrial accident short in Grimtrax is just magical.

Still, Shake Hands With Danger has that goddamn guitar riff that will never be topped.

Man, I can hear it when people talk about it.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

*buh now nanna now nowwww*

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They put out a new app, this one actually lets you watch vods instead of just being designed for mp3s. Also the new app has a random button which could be helpful for me seeing as I've been buying stuff from them since 2007 so my library is kind of big.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

They put out a new app, this one actually lets you watch vods instead of just being designed for mp3s. Also the new app has a random button which could be helpful for me seeing as I've been buying stuff from them since 2007 so my library is kind of big.

So THAT explains why the old app got a new name.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

They just made my Plex server obsolete!

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Rusty Kettle posted:

Why, are they pre-syncing and streaming just the jokes Riffs now too?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Rusty Kettle posted:

Nah hopefully I'll be the one to do that (I'm writing a replacement, Plex has been on a steady downward spiral with so many bugs they don't give a poo poo about, they just seem to want to turn into another lovely streaming platform at the expense of what Plex used to be)

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Any idea how jellyfin is? I know I've heard people talk about it as a plex alternative, but I've never used it myself.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'd never heard of that.

God drat it that's drat near identical to mine. It even has a feature I've always wanted: the ability to access your ebooks and comics remotely without setting up an old-school FTP server.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I saw something called the rifftrax 24 hour riffathon on youtube yesterday around three, but when I looked again at seven it was gone.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Rifftrax runs an official stream 24/7 on Twitch.

Edit: They're currently showing the live-action Aladdin movie starring Barry Bostwick as the genie, and a bunch of very white people in traditionally non-white roles.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

WhiteHowler posted:

Rifftrax runs an official stream 24/7 on Twitch.

Edit: They're currently showing the live-action Aladdin movie starring Barry Bostwick as the genie, and a bunch of very white people in traditionally non-white roles.

Now they're doing Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. Oh, no, not the original but the 1991 remake starring the Redgrave sisters. Bridget and Mary Jo do the riffing, it's great.

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

Bedurndurn posted:

Any idea how jellyfin is? I know I've heard people talk about it as a plex alternative, but I've never used it myself.

Been using Jellyfin for a couple years now, and it's great. Though, the default music feature isn't all there yet, and Roku and Samsung TVs are a step behind other devices and mobile in terms of compatibility, so there's that.

To tie it in, Rifftrax metadata is hit or miss, but tvdb scrapes some if you name the files the way it expects.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I'd never heard of that.

God drat it that's drat near identical to mine. It even has a feature I've always wanted: the ability to access your ebooks and comics remotely without setting up an old-school FTP server.

Completely open source, too, so if you have some technical skill, they wouldn't turn you away.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Cut of Your Jib posted:

Completely open source, too, so if you have some technical skill, they wouldn't turn you away.

Nah it's written in C#, I'd rather have molten lead poured down my throat.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Golden Bee posted:

I saw something called the rifftrax 24 hour riffathon on youtube yesterday around three, but when I looked again at seven it was gone.

It got copyright struck almost immediately . Your best bet is the twitch stream.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

New flick 'Spy High' looks great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfL4tIJWbGo

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That looks incredible. I was gonna say the 90s can do no wrong, technically it's a 2000 movie, also good.

I gotta see Dancin: Its On also, holy moly

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Spy High is very good. Incredibly dumb tech movie. I have no idea what was going on but the dog steals the show. And anytime I can say that about one of these movies, you know you're in for a treat.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Heavy Metal posted:

That looks incredible. I was gonna say the 90s can do no wrong, technically it's a 2000 movie, also good.

I gotta see Dancin: Its On also, holy moly

The better the bad movie the older it looks than it actually is.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

The better the bad movie the older it looks than it actually is.

The Artist looks ancient.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Golden Bee posted:

The Artist looks ancient.

For anyone who watches bad movies with friends, it's harder now with streaming since the year is listed at the title screen but an incredibly fun game is to ask everyone to try to guess what year the movie was made about 10-15 minutes into the movie. People will rarely guess right and almost always guess much older than it actually is. You'll see a movie full of K Cars and mullets with Ronald Reagan on the TV and everyone will guess 1985 and then howl "HOW?!?!?" when you reveal it was released in 1998.

Even after people catch on they'll still rarely get it right. I've watched hundreds of movies with a friend and if I throw out the question he'll still miss by 5 years most of the time.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

As a big Slim Cessna's Auto Club fan, Vengeance of the Dead has been a delight

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

What's with this current sale letting you save like one dollar, but not on Spy High. Well okay I'll wait until next time for Spy High, that precious dollar will become half a Dr Pepper.

I grabbed The Brain From Arous and Dancin': It's On. I remembered seeing footage from Brain in a movie somewhere, wiki says it's probably Ernest Scared Stupid, that fits.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Dancin' It's On is a great watch (with riffing).

My wife is a retired dance teacher, and while she agrees that the plot, dialog, and acting are incomprehensibly terrible, the dancing and choreography are excellent and make the film an extra-fun watch for her.

She will also watch The Apple whenever it comes on the Rifftrax Twitch stream for much the same reason.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool! I also love dancin' films, especially Breakin' and Breakin' 2. (Electric Boogaloo)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I finally got to see Charade which Mike and Bridget riff and it's a delight. For starters the movie is good - Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant, Walter Matthau, James Coburn - and it's clear this is much more of a roast than a rib.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Double post but: The guys went to Golden Corral. https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3VswiEiYfS/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Those guys have some cool voices. I know, somebody's gotta say it. Imagine going to a restaurant and you sound like Tom Servo, that's a superpower.