Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That Gumby stuff looks intense. I haven't peeped a Gumby is a long long time.

Saw the Bounty Tracker riff recently, that is quality. The bit where Lorenzo looks around a hotel room and they're like "It has a lamp" "oh it has a phone" etc etc, just poetry. I can't really do it justice, B-movie zen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's fun. John Woo rules so much. In middle school I bought a book about him, Ten Thousand Bullets: the cinematic journey of John Woo, and used it for a school assignment.

Another Bill posted:

https://twitter.com/THORUNIVERSE/status/1404104960699080711

I don't know who needs to hear this but Jon Mikl Thor is still at it.

I always need to hear this, thank you! Inspiring, bold, provocative, pure steel! Genuine fan of Thor, great albums, touching documentary "I Am Thor", but I also love those great riffs. I often recall that sweet song "Energy". She gives me something to eeeeat, and she takes me to bed. Yeah!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Any fav riffs from the past four years or so? The only one I've bought since then is Bounty Tracker for some reason (was pretty funny). Also I've already seen Double Dragon enough times, including at a local Trash Night in recent years, fine film!

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 21, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, thanks! I saw Yor on the big screen (at the aforementioned Trash Night thing), definitely rules. What a catchy theme song too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Dawgstar posted:

To pick a specific Bridget and Mary Jo riff I'd go with their version of Angels' Revenge, The Maturing Woman or Rescue Me.

Very cool! I saw Rescue Me on twitch I think, good stuff, big big Dudikoff fan. Dudikoff Megathread right here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780872

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It's called the Money Plane. Some of the baddest motherfuckers on the planet are on that plane, all craving action.You wanna bet on a dude loving an alligator.... Money Plane.

That's from memory from back whenever. Pretty funny movie, needed a lot more Grammer and Jane as well. Coincidentally during the past year and a half I rocked through Cheers and all of Frasier. I can't get enough.

(Edit: I remembered the planet part of the Grammer quote)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 2, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

On the riff a good movie topic, and if riff audiences get that it's a good movie etc, it's always an interesting thing. Epecially with B-movie gems that are genuinely good.

For example, Trancers rules! Such a clever fun movie. It was at a local theater's trash night, which can celebrate entertaining oddball movies like that, as well as movies that are nigh-unwatchable. But sometimes audiences lump the two together and don't see the artistry of the former.

For example, rifftrax did No Retreat No Surrender, by the Corey Yuen! A legend. And it's certainly oddball and crazy, but in a very good way. That's a good movie to me. I saw some on twitch who didn't respect that masterpiece for example.

I love How Did This Get Made, or at least I was into it for years, but sometimes it can be a bit silly to me how they point out oddball stuff and can feign being baffled every time. Sometimes stuff being out there or weird is cool and fun, so I guess sometimes celebrating that and "laughing with" the movie can be a thing. But there are many layers and levels.

As for mst3k/rifftrax, they can do no wrong, since they're roasting everything in sight, it's their bit. It doesn't to me feel any different or out of place on Lord of the Rings than it is on Aeon Flux. They tend to do B-movies, often low quality, but I don't take a riff to be an indication of the quality of a movie.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

On the topic of riffing and bad movies, I don't think Judge Dredd is that bad of a movie. And I say that as a fan of the comic, so I'd have even more bones to pick. Surely there are nuttier and more crazy movies to riff. If all it takes is being a somewhat eccentric action comedy studio film, I mean, surely the weird movie viewer gets numb to those things at some point. Barely a blip on the weird radar to me. Plus the Alan Silvestri score and Max von Sydow.

Not to say they shouldn't riff it, the Jaws riff is great etc. How do I put it, I think when a movie puts itself out there, by being a bit bombastic, I applaud that. I think the "cooler" more liked movie Demolition Man is more riffable to me than Judge Dredd, since Demolition Man seems more pleased with itself.

Now, if they got John Wagner as a guest riffer, ok, now we're talking.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It is really drat funny, no denying it. Reminds me of how that Karate Kid 3 villain guy is giving a really fun performance on Cobra Kai. Those insane hammy villains are some of the finest performances. Nobody tops Hopper in Mario though, he is the king.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on! Loved that rock doc, Thor rules. End of the Century: Story of the Ramones is another great one. Story of Anvil for more Canadian steel.

Just like to say rock doc. Rock doc.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool!

I bought the first Max Havoc riff the other day, looks pretty wild.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That looks incredible. I was gonna say the 90s can do no wrong, technically it's a 2000 movie, also good.

I gotta see Dancin: Its On also, holy moly

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

What's with this current sale letting you save like one dollar, but not on Spy High. Well okay I'll wait until next time for Spy High, that precious dollar will become half a Dr Pepper.

I grabbed The Brain From Arous and Dancin': It's On. I remembered seeing footage from Brain in a movie somewhere, wiki says it's probably Ernest Scared Stupid, that fits.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool! I also love dancin' films, especially Breakin' and Breakin' 2. (Electric Boogaloo)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Those guys have some cool voices. I know, somebody's gotta say it. Imagine going to a restaurant and you sound like Tom Servo, that's a superpower.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's awesome, very cool to hear.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Alrighty I just grabbed Spy High. Also by the by I watched the recent mst3k of Munchie, what an epic. I had seen Munchie Strikes Back at a local B-movie event on the big screen too. Whatta guy.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Paranormal Activity 2! I saw their riff of the first one, and I could use some more.

If it's a zany B movie I've already seen and find entertaining enough on its own, that's usually not my dream riff or anything.

I think of it like they're there to help me get through a movie. So something I'm kinda curious about, but won't quite watch on my own. I guess let's say Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot, or any poorly received comedy by the big stars in the 80s/90s.

Or, I guess for a personal favorite kooky movie they could spread the awareness of, Evil Cult (2003), which rules.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

All those Just the Jokes releases are unedited so they can line up with your movie, and those are some of their best. I think rifftrax would be good either way. If it was up to me I'd go for unedited, but it's all good.

Every frame of The Room must be seen

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 21, 2024

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Absolutely. Well maybe I'm desensitized, To Catch a Yeti is kind of a smooth watch. :D what a film. I can be baffled at any budget, Aeon Flux is a classic one.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

By popular demand posted:

"You can't remove the pointless walking-in-forest scenes from The Alien Factor!! whatever happened to integrity!"

You cats should probably leave the roasting to the professionals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

:tipshat: ok you folks win, truce on the riff war. I wonder if they've riffed anything with Paul Giamatti.

I'm rooting for him at the Oscars tonight. He was funny in that FMV game Ripper with Christopher Walken.