Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
(heavy sigh) Norman Krasner, the original short (Not the first one riffed but I think the Norman short). A short film about a man who needs to poop but can't afford it, finds out the guy in the next stall is DTF after feeling him up, wipes his rear end with the Mona Lisa, and is forever imprisoned.

I don't know if it is anywhere close to the funniest riff but this is certainly a strange short. And why is it black and white in 1974?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Guy Axlerod posted:

People being surprised with Rifftrax is the premise of their intro, and it makes no sense.
To be fair, they put the jokes into a file on a secret server deep inside a mountain, protected by a dragon. Nobody could anticipate what happens next! After seeing the QR code flash in the intro so many times, I just framestepped to it. It is only one frame and the QR code goes to SECRET FILE. Which I make angry eyes to when I see I did not get an achievement for finding it.

To anyone else who is as dumb as me, I clicked the kickstarter backer link in the email from this week and finally it sunk in what it said on that page. You need to use the link from backerkit to unlock the content. Of course I just bought the Summer Shorts VOD earlier this week which was part of the bundle.

Have they had any more details about the Rifftrax Prime? I'm mostly curious if the videos will have DRM or if I can download them like purchases are now. I've just passed 200 items purchased since Aug 17, 2007 so it is clear that I should just be paying them a subscription but I'd hate to pay for a few years then lose access if I unsubscribe. Or is Riff-prime more for people who don't already own 80% of their catalog?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Oh nice, they also have The Sword and the Dragon MST3K for sale, which is the only episode from the Mystery Science Theater 3000: XXIV DVD that I do not have and I love this movie. I understand about as much of what is happening in Sword and Dragon as I do in Last Slumber Party. I watched a bunch of Rifftrax with hurricane Irma refugees staying in my house because my house is at twelve feet of elevation /proud. Between the all of us we're not quite sure what the gently caress anyone but Shelley Hack is doing in that movie.*

* [/spoiler]Shelley Hack does not actually make an appearance in the movie.[/spoiler]

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

When a Stranger Calls Back got added to Amazon Prime and its such a weird movie. Like how the movie is a little over an hour and a half long but almost 30 minutes is taken up by this interminable opening scene where a young woman pretends to make phone calls multiple times.
This part of the movie went on so long I thought that was the movie. I expected there to be a short wrapup scene after she ran out of the house and was almost in disbelief that it was only the setup. I guess when your movie is only just making 90 minutes you gotta stretch things out? And why was she so opposed to calling the auto club to begin with?

EDIT: I just watched the last 10 minutes of that movie again. What the hell!

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 13, 2017

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

I'm finally at the point where I think the movie is starting?
If you like being confused as to when a movie is starting, watch When a Stranger Calls Back, which is also on Amazon Prime. 30 minutes in I am like "Is this the end of the movie? Is this a short?" Then the movie starts, with all the momentum of starting a 1978 Mercedes 240 Diesel left sitting for a week in 40 below temperatures. Then, about 50 minutes later I wondered, "Was that the movie? Why was there even a movie part to this movie? Why ANYTHING, Lana"

I just watched Journey: Absolution last night. Space Bootcamp Yelling Dorm Men in Underwear, the movie. Is wearing a shirt a reward or a punishment? Guys, Jamie Pressly was from smuggler parents. That's where she came from.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

A Big Dark Yak posted:

A friend and I split a bottle of brandy to try to get through this movie, and it was so impossibly bad, still. The riff for it could be amazing or terrifying.
It was available on Amazon Prime or something a few years back and I watched it and it is hilarious how bad it is, but like 65% of the movie is establishing shots of the two possible locations the film takes place in so they're going to have to bring their A game to fill in the long boring shots of nothing happening.

I also bought "A Talking Pony!?!" on DVD because I never saw it come across on Prime and I wanted to riff it with my pony-loving friend. I was sad because after it went through post-production it got renamed to "A Pony Tale" (to distance itself the cat picture?) which is not nearly as fun a name. Spoiler alert though, it is still about a talking horse. The rules aren't as complicated as the talking cat rules though so I recommend it to anyone who is confused by the "A Talking Cat!?!" canon but still loves establishing shots.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Paper Kaiju posted:

I just watched it, and I haven't the slightest clue what the movie was about.
For like the first 45 minutes of Godsheep I thought "well this sure is a collection of scenes!" and then the movie slams 80% of them together and you realize they're all related because they're taking place in the same town. Get it!?

But at the point where a dog was faking his own funeral service I was doing the comical drunk-looking-at-his-bottle bit trying to figure out if I had gone mental.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Wow they really have a ton of Rifftrax on Prime now. I'm not sure how long some of these have been on their list but here's some I'd recommend if you haven't seen them:
  • The Guy from Harlem - For bad scotch and worse steaks
  • Retro Puppet Master - Who needs to see Annabelle when you have a buncha possessed puppets
  • Cyborg Cop 2 - Which has no cyborgs in it
  • Terror at Tenkiller - I can't remember what happens in this one apart from some teens do it and then... it's time to pay the price
  • Honor and Glory - Simply for making you remember that the 80s was a great time to be a coked up movie making person
  • Rock and Roll Nightmare - No one will be admitted during that loving twist ending :wth:

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
The power went out at the mall where we were, 20 minutes prior to the show. It was only out for a couple seconds but it took like 15 minutes for the computers to reboot and go through some sort of file checking procedure before we could stare at a single preshow card for another 15 minutes while the theater found someone who knew how to get the live feed up. While they were working on it on their Windows XP machine or something we saw a youtube video on an ostrich eating popcorn, a window with some Regal Cinema preshow video running, audio from like 8 different things playing at once, then a window with the Rifftrax preshow playing from the beginning again, then finally Rifftrax LIVE 20 minutes into the show. Luckily after rewinding and replaying the same 10 seconds about 50 times, someone figured out how to skip back to the beginning. Then a minute later we got the audio. Classic Rifftrax gag!

This was a great show after that though, which was funny in its own way, and I laughed until I cried with a roughly half full larger theater. The theater I usually go to only had 60 seats for their showing and 52 of them were taken when I checked yesterday morning. Not bad crowds and seeing this movie on the big screen was a delight.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Dixville posted:

I would like to see this ostrich video
Oh no! Turns out it wasn't popcorn. It was playing in a window in the corner of the screen so it was hard to tell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmXWTFJJKGw

Speaking of backstory, what was the deal with the sexy witches? What were they all about?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

ringu0 posted:

Add MUSTACHE to get 15% off riffs in honor of Father's Day
Oh come on! I just bought $35 worth of crap I didn't own yet this morning using the 15% and my kickstarter gift cards. Do they not even want our money any more with all these discounts and gift cards?! Still, I don't mind them having a little extra of my money by not stacking all the codes.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

BaronVonVaderham posted:

A Talking Cat has arrived!

Guess I know one thing I'm doing this weekend.
I purchased this within 5 minutes of getting the email saying it was available. I know one thing I'm doing tonight, which is watch overly long establishing shots for a movie with literally 2 locations. Also maybe eat an overcooked steak and drink some awful scotch?

EDIT: Ok not establishing shots, it is repeated shots of outdoor scenery, and this may be my favorite Rifftrax of all time.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 28, 2018

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

The scene where they scan in the clothes with a handheld lamp over and over had me gasping for air.
Twice. TWICE in this riff I had this same reaction. I can't remember the last time I gasped for breath watching anything by myself at home. Also, don't forget to stay for the incredibly long end credits. I just had to go back and edit in "end" credits because I remembered the opening credits are also incredibly long.

And why do I have the song La Cucaracha stuck in my head again!?!

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Am I the only person that didn't realize that the girl coming over for tutoring was not the caterer's daughter? I had a real Morty's Mind Blowers when the two of them appeared on the screen at the same time near the end. drat white girls all look the same to me.

I would have said she had an unnatural affinity for swimming pools, but everyone seemed to have a hardon for swimming pools. I guess they are pretty rare in Cali-maui-eattle.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I'm still confused though, who was Krull? I didn't think they could make a slower-paced Lord of the Rings but Krull proved me wrong. Long shots of a flying mountain, scene after scene of horse riding, and who can forget two separate acts dedicated to guys walking alone to places? Each to his fate!

Well poo poo, I do kind of want that tshirt. Thanks a lot, Google.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
That's pretty awesome, especially considering Laser Mission is one of my favorite all-time Rifftrax. It just got another star in my book!

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Curse my frugalness! I only chipped in $20 to the kickstarter this year and now I want to see Octaman but it is $13. Next year: TO THE LIMIT

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
THE Giant Spider Invasion, or THE Film About Being Sexually Propositioned?
-- Mom tries to bang daughter's boyfriend
-- Boyfriend tries to bang daughter
-- Stepdad bangs pub lady
-- Mom offers to bang someone who will bring her alcohol
-- Spider tries to bang Mom
-- Stepdad tries to bang daughter
-- Cousin tries to bang daughter
-- Stepdad bangs pub lady (again)
-- Flare is used to ignite a neutron bomb -- BANG

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fowl posted:

Honestly, this is only a half-joke. Roughly half the director's filmography is "people running around a nice house half-naked".
I was going to make a Last Slumber Party joke but wanted to make sure I remembered the name right so I googled and...

TIL that Shelley Hack is a real person on Charlie's Angels for a season, among other things. Tell that to Shelley Hack!

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

In Kodi I just use the TV thing for the shorts, and put the feature length Rifftrax in my regular movie library. I use a smart playlist to look for "Rifftrax" in the file path, and a second smart playlist that is every movie besides that. I need to make another one that is stuff where I have the mp3s to go with the movies, rather than the baked-in ones.
Oh drat look at you being all smart. I keep most my Rifftrax in movies/rifftrax/ with a subdirectory for shorts with a .nomedia because the scraper is always going to guess wrong on those. I like your smart playlist idea instead of falling back to just browsing by file. Hot drat I love Kodi I didn't even think about playlists which are perfect for this.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

InsertPotPun posted:

the entire thing exploded on the runway. mike couldn't hear anyone so he just started singing to himself and then trying to think of "stranger things" jokes. he had something about throwing "stranger rings" into mount doom.
now 3,000 people are watching mike ramble while they try tech support.
Mike said he bought a bag of crooked golf clubs: Stranger PINGs. Come on where is the tag? ...and now I've got stranger swings.

It was pretty funny that the riff finally started to go OK then Mike just kept singing and telling jokes over the riff because he could not hear.

TVs Ian posted:

Yeah, it was Shake Hands with Danger ...
Der deer deer deer deer da deeerrrrrrr

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

AvesPKS posted:

The first time I watched it, I must've rewound the opening van sequence like 5 times. There are so many good jokes in that one part. It ends very weak in my opinion but the first half of the movie is one of my favorites.
I don't know how anyone could squeeze a joke in during the ending. That was a rocket fueled explosion of a movie going off the deep end in a way my brain can't even take it all in. I feel like it was the right decision for the guys to ease off and just let me enjoy it.

I didn't want Rifftrax to change to VOD because I really liked the riffs of movies I would not have otherwise seen, like Twilight being a movie I tried to watch but couldn't and now have seen 3 or 4 times with the riff. I had never seen a Harry Potter movie until it was riffed as well, and the first couple were really funny. I've seen them all now but the first ones were the best because: WHIMSY! Now I only like the VODs, just the jokes are a just enough of a pain to watch or merge my rip with that I only get a handful of them.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Since this post, there have been three more installments of this and they've gotten increasingly more batshit.
Thanks for alerting me to the existence of these. I remember watching these live as a kid and thinking they were like a Star Wars Life Day special with less plot. I don't think I'd be able to sit through them now, but the riffing doubles the entertainment value and they're pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

BaronVonVaderham posted:

We recently watched Last Woman on Earth (the movie itself was just bizarre), and the difference between those guys and Bridget & Mary Jo really stands out. I can see why people like them, but they aren't for me
Is it because you don't know enough about Boris Johnson? :v: I also just watched this last night and was confused by the movie. I wasn't sure if it was trying to say the husband was a jerk because I thought every guy back then was a jerk who expected the wife to just cook and clean, even after an apocalypse? Meanwhile the lawyer is just a nihilist or something because he gives no fucks.