Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

So all the stretch goal shorts are unlocked. That means:

- Warty, The Toad
- Rediscovery: Puppets
- Join Hands, Let Go!
- Clean and Neat with Harv and Marv
- Health: Your Posture
- You’re The Judge
- How To Keep a Job
- 10 Long Minutes
- The Day I Died
- Ghost Rider

For money-based stretch goals, they're almost all unlocked. Right now we have:

- Star Wars Episode IX MP3 riff for $75 and higher.
- RiffTrax Live: Star Raiders DVD for $100 and higher
- Street Fighter MP3 riff for $100 and higher
- RiffTrax Live: Octaman DVD for $125 and higher (locked at $450,000)

Now some new stretch goals, backer-based:

- 7,000 Backers: FREE Audible Copy of RiffTrax senior writer Conor Lastowka's new audiobook The Pole Vault Championship of the Entire Universe. Backers at $100 and above (or $84) get it for FREE!
- 7,500 Backers: blu-ray of The Giant Spider Invasion show. Backers at $100 or above will get to choose a DVD or blu-ray as part of their rewards.
- 8,000 Backers: RiffTrax app compatible Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Just The Jokes riff. Backers at the $84 level and above will get it for FREE
- 8,500 Backers: blu-ray of the Star Raiders show. Backers at $100 or above will get to choose a DVD or blu-ray as part of their rewards.
- 8,750 Backers: "Fishing With Kevin Murphy" video. Backers at $100 or above (and $84) will get it for free!
- 9,000 Backers: Backers at the $15 level or above will get their names in small font on a pre-show "Thank You" slide for a live show this year!
- 9,250 Backers: Octaman Live Show blu-ray! Backers at $125 or above will get to choose a DVD or blu-ray as part of their rewards.
- 9,500 Backers: Backers at the $15 level or above will get Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom as part of their rewards.
-10,000 Backers: It's A Wonderful Life Just The Jokes riff! All backers get it for FREE!

Currently at $437,248 with 6,616 backers. Ends Saturday night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rirse posted:

There was a live show last night? Man nobody really seems to be talking about it?

It was a taping for a later "live show" broadcast. They're doing an actual live show this Thursday.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I took a 5 Hour Energy midway into that movie and it was like a bullet off Superman's chest. That was Deep Hurting level.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I finally brought myself to watch Rollergator. It's about as bad as everyone said it would be.

The most hilarious thing to me was the sudden scene of Joe Estevez talking to that giant mutant creature. Like, the rest of the movie runs together and is the same problems in every scene, but then THAT GUY shows up looking like his production quality is far too good to be in this piece of poo poo.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

X-O posted:

For me Rollergator is right to the edge of the line in terms of badness before the riffing isn't worth it. I enjoyed the riff even though the movie is excruciating. I think it's definitely the worst movie that's ever been riffed from any iteration or branch off of MST3K. And a big part of that is the goddamn loop of music.

I agree. Like I was saying earlier, the problem is that everything is the same with it. You watch one scene of bad sound, bad acting, bad dialogue, bad humor, nonsense plot, etc. and know that every scene that follows is going to be the same. You're stuck with it.

The classic bad movies are those that go places and find variety in why they're so ridiculous.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

That puppet phone short was truly something special.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

There appears to be something infectiously fun about playing the role of M. Bison. Raul Julia, the guy from the cartoon and the English and Japanese voice actors from the games ham it up so well. Neal McDonough... maybe not so much.

I just discovered that JCVD wanted to get a sequel off the ground in 2003, but they went with the reboot instead. God, I hate you, Legend of Chun-Li. You cheated us out of Dolph Lundgren as Gill!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Uncle Wemus posted:

I do love how the beasts castle looks in Krull though

Just watch out for the giant, closing buttcheeks.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I watched Blood Theatre and... wow.

That electrocution death had me rewinding and asking, "Are you SERIOUS?!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

There's so much :psyduck: with that movie.

Like that last shot. I understand the basic idea of showing the police entering the theater as some kind of closure to show the main girl's survival, but the weird way the shot lasts for maybe a full second before freeze-framing on the two cops barely in the door makes zero sense.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Releasing an alien invasion movie on Halloween and then its Christmas-themed sequel in December is a pretty baller move.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Feeders was simultaneously worse but more watchable than Rollergator.

I finished watching the two Feeders movies and this is about right. The one thing Rollergator has over Feeders is that it features people who look like they could be allowed into a movie. Most of the Feeders cast really shouldn't be on camera.

What Feeders has over Rollergator is payoff. What makes Rollergator so hard to sit through is how it remains the same kind of bad throughout the entire movie without anything ridiculous or stupid enough to bring it to another level. Feeders will lure you in with its poo poo acting, bottom-of-the-barrel special effects, annoying guttural noises, and endless wandering, only to suddenly throw you an amazing bad movie curveball. Highlights include:

- The goddamn screaming doctor head shot, which is a sort of decent special effect compared to everything else, but holy poo poo is it so inexplicable that the riffers choose to laugh their asses off instead of cracking jokes.
- The climactic moment of Hair Dude slaughtering Mustache Dude and hoping for the best.
- The random footage of buildings being imploded during the final scene.
- Mustache Dude v. 2.0's boss, who is like a cross between the chief from Samurai Cop and the shop owner from Brute Man.
- The dead cat remains. Oh my loving God.
- Everything with Santa.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Overshadowed by Attack of the Super Monsters, RiffTrax recently released a short where Marley warns Scrooge that he'll suffer for an eternity if he doesn't get a bank account and it's delightful.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

How much do the live show tickets usually go for? Thinking of going for Hobgoblins as a bucket list thing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Velvet Smooth feels like a movie that had a very talented fight choreographer, but nobody in the cast (outside of the pool cue guy) was in any way talented enough to pull it off.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rise of Skywalker is now out.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Ninja Warlord sort of owns. There's plenty to riff, but it's the first martial arts movie I've seen on RiffTrax in a while that's seemed competent for what it is.

My big complaint is that the good guys and bad guys each have their own skinny weirdo comic relief dude and the two never face off.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Last night Bill posted a screenshot of the end credits for something they're working on. Looking into it, it appears the next riff will be Suburban Sasquatch.

I watched a couple YouTube clips and it's Rollergator/Feeders level of cheap. Possibly too stupid for RiffTrax.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So this isn't Rifftrax, but I thought it would be worth posting. There's a YouTube channel called Themed Alternative where they've been watching old Disney World TV specials, as riffed by Kevin Perjurer (Defunctland), Disney Dan and Nate Begle (who plays the MST3K tour version of Crow). The riffs appear to be improvised from watching it the first time around and they're cut up to 15-20-minute long clips, but they're really good. So far there are only four installments.

The Walt Disney World Opening Day Special, which features Jonathan Winters being terrible and never doing anything that has to do with Disney World itself.

The Space Mountain Opening Special, starring Lucie Arnez with Tommy Tune being completely awesome. It has very, very little to do with Space Mountain and also starts the worrying trend of tweens being really, really into 30-year-olds.

The Mouseketeers at Disney World, starring none of the famous Mouseketeers. Watch as they all hate each other and one runs away in shame, only for everything to be wrapped up at the end with no explanation.

The Walt Disney World Tenth Anniversary Special, starring a young Michael Keaton, but not nearly as young as they want you to believe.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I watched Suburban Sasquatch and the police car throw might be my favorite special effect in a RiffTrax movie.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The Endgame riff is very good, even if the Hawkeye jokes are beyond stale by this point.

Thanos: "You could not live with your own failure."

Bill: "Golden Corral's new slogan!"

Also, best callback: "Hey, hey, hey! Pym's on the way!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gavok posted:

So this isn't Rifftrax, but I thought it would be worth posting. There's a YouTube channel called Themed Alternative where they've been watching old Disney World TV specials, as riffed by Kevin Perjurer (Defunctland), Disney Dan and Nate Begle (who plays the MST3K tour version of Crow). The riffs appear to be improvised from watching it the first time around and they're cut up to 15-20-minute long clips, but they're really good. So far there are only four installments.

The Walt Disney World Opening Day Special, which features Jonathan Winters being terrible and never doing anything that has to do with Disney World itself.

The Space Mountain Opening Special, starring Lucie Arnez with Tommy Tune being completely awesome. It has very, very little to do with Space Mountain and also starts the worrying trend of tweens being really, really into 30-year-olds.

The Mouseketeers at Disney World, starring none of the famous Mouseketeers. Watch as they all hate each other and one runs away in shame, only for everything to be wrapped up at the end with no explanation.

The Walt Disney World Tenth Anniversary Special, starring a young Michael Keaton, but not nearly as young as they want you to believe.

Since this post, there have been three more installments of this and they've gotten increasingly more batshit.

EPCOT Center's Opening Celebration: Danny Kaye and a very young Drew Barrymore hang out with some robots and beloved no-longer-existing character the Dreamfinder.

The Walt Disney World 15th Anniversary Special: Bea Arthur and Betty White enjoy Disney World together while Mickey Mouse straight-up shoots people! Also features a barbershop quartet times a hundred marching through the park, which is creepy as gently caress.

EPCOT's The Living Seas Opening Special: This one is must-watch in how insane it is. John Ritter hosts the opening of the Living Seas pavilion, but there isn't really much to go with in order to fill a special. To pad it out, poo poo gets incredibly dark and incredibly weird with no segues, like having one of the guys from Duran Duran talk about hearing a man drown and being haunted by the screams.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lycan Colony is an instant must-watch. It fits into the company of Rollergator, Feeders 1&2 and Suburban Sasquatch where it's so low-budget that it barely counts as a movie, but it tries to add digital effects so badly in ways that ascend it to an even more special kind of terrible.

A lot of stuff is shown in that trailer. The digital neck tattoo, the shattered glass effect, the fact that one of the werewolf designs is just a fursuit, the completely unnecessary and unexplained Predator vision, the laughable blood red moon shot, the sorcery battle effects, etc. But the part that had me dropping my jaw the most? The climax of the movie takes place in the woods and while there are plenty of shots filmed there, there are moments that I have to imagine to be reshoots where they're in front of a green screen with an image of the forest imposed behind them.

I just have no words.

Now, then. Can somebody PLEASE make a gif of the sorceress lady's absolutely bizarre and lengthy stare from before she goes into the werewolf backstory?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Bless you.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I watched the Mads take on Walk the Dark Street. It's a very interesting bad movie because in parts, it's almost really good.

The quality is poo poo, but the scene of the two main characters meeting in the beginning is genuinely intense and well done. Then they made the plot of the movie clear and I was completely on board. This is then followed with the cinematic equivalent of that gag from Space Ghost where he chases an ant for 12 minutes. The movie has a fantastic concept and basic story, but in practice it is so incredibly dull.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

muscles like this! posted:

Watched a video about a movie that seems like it would be perfect for Rifftrax, The Final Alliance starring the Hoff as one of those generic tough guys who comes back to his old hometown to clean up the place. The part that makes it sound amazing is that one of the villains is John Saxon as an albino biker gang leader.

Speaking of stuff that would be perfect for Rifftrax, I came across a great B-side to the Star Wars Holiday Special. Starstruck was a failed pilot for a TV show from the late 70's that was basically "What if the family from Little House on the Prairie ran the Star Wars cantina?" The opening credits makes as much sense as when Homestar Runner did "Limozeen But They're in Space."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mortal Kombat is out.

Much love for "Shang Tsung spends more on candles than dril."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I've updated my guide to holiday-based RiffTrax movies and shorts.

The new Snowman cartoon they just released is absolutely worth your dollar.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Figured this was relevant for this thread: Florida's Pirates World and its Rock 'n' Roll Downfall

Sadly, there's not one mention of ice cream and/or bunnies.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Barudak posted:

The Gumby Movie came out in 1995

On one hand, that's when Toy Story came out. On the other hand, it's still head and shoulders above Mortal Kombat: The Journey Begins.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Money Plane makes for a good companion piece with McBain. Both are just very casual action movies where you rarely, if ever, feel like the heroes are in danger as they go through their plan.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Without a doubt. Though I'd say that Money Plane works as a bad movie because despite being aware of its bonkers premise, the movie doesn't have the chops to hit its potential. It's like when the first Purge movie came out and people were interested in what could be done with the concept and the first movie barely scratched the surface.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I watched Star Games for the first time and it's one of those annoying movies where I feel like the basic idea was really, really good, but the people making it just didn't have the talent of budget available to make it work. Like, you could make a really fun movie about two kids becoming friends and one turning out to be some runaway space prince who digs Earth because of its entertaining grasp on science fiction. Even the hologram clown thing is a good idea that's just done badly. It's very Flight of the Navigator.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Yeah, that was a solid RiffTrax movie. Constantly distracted by the son's terrible hair and the fact that the priest must have joined the church after his linebacker career went nowhere. He had a real Henry Cavill quality to him.

The short came off like they had a robot watch a bunch of work accident videos and then had it write its own.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I didn't get to see it, sadly. But there's no way that short is dethroning the seneschal.

It's close, but I'm giving tonight's short the nod. Imagine one of those factory safety videos if it spent a lot of its energy randomly discussing how delicious tomatoes are and had the human equivalent of Dropo involved (I mean, I guess Santa is the human equivalent of Dropo, but you know what I mean).

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Dangerous Men feels like a Godfrey Ho movie if Tommy Wiseau was in charge of creating both barely-linked storylines. It's a rough movie to watch due to how rapey it is from start to finish, but there are so many bizarre choices that pile up and make it amazing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

King Vidiot posted:

Heh.

But in all seriousness, I knew the movie's runtime going in but it did not feel like it was only about an hour. It dragged on for like the first half of the movie, and then it lingered way too long on that naked British guy, and the last half breezed by. Then it just kinda ends. I seriously can't remember what happened to the woman from the main plot of the movie, she gets tailed and grabbed by the shoulder and then... ?

Towards the end, the main cop guy is told that they caught her.

It's really weird because once the second plot starts kicking in, there's a genuinely good concept hidden in there. Guy gets murdered by a biker. His fiancee gets revenge on his killer, has another bad experience with a dude trying to sexually assault her and tries to deal with it all by running off and becoming a serial killer/vigilante. The murdered guy's brother is a cop who wants answers, sees that two bikers were found dead as part of the incident and comes to the conclusion that members of the same gang either know the fiancee's whereabouts or want to hunt her down for revenge. Chaos is about to ensue and the cop needs to stop it before it's too late. That could have worked.

Instead, the bikers are never really shown to be responding to the stuff with the murders at all. They're scumbags and do stuff making them deserving of being arrested (shootouts and sexual assault), but nothing involving the original plot. The cop goes from wanting to question a random biker to arresting him for something unrelated and deciding to make a go at the biker's boss. There's no real reason to go after the head biker, but it doesn't matter because he gives them an excuse to take him in anyway. Again, none of this has anything to do with the original murder or the woman going around stabbing people!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The latest Christmas short is loving bonkers. It's about a character named the Little King, who befriends a couple hobos, sneaks them into his castle and they bathe together, sleep together and then celebrate Christmas morning together.

What comes completely out of nowhere in this 1930s cartoon is one of the hobos removes his shirt to show this huge NRA logo tattooed across his chest. It isn't referenced in any way. It's just blatantly there. It's so weird.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

What is that and why should I be scared?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

That was a really good Rifftrax Live. I like that they were able to make a really impressive Swamp Thing costume (as well as most of the other mutants), but they didn't have the budget or effects to make any of his powers work other than the terrible bathtub scene.

There's something charming about how Swamp Thing is supposed to be one of those "Don't look at me! I'm a horrible freak!" superheroes, but they didn't have time to really do any of that, so he's just this incredibly chill dude to everyone he meets.