Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

muscles like this! posted:

The Bridget and Mary Jo short Duties of a Secretary is amazing. Although you can basically say that about every Bridget and Mary Jo short.

Agreed! The Bridget & Mary Jo shorts are consistently hilarious. "Continuous ice circles"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

I would suggest looking at anything Bridget and Mary Jo have done because they focus almost entirely on "women" shorts. So they get stuff like "Home of the Future" which takes place in the far off year of 1999 and stars Wink Martindale or Duties of a Secretary about a secretary who is about to start her new job and has a dream where she does everything wrong.

These are both great suggestions! Their short Life in the Suburbs is a lot of fun, it's basically a giant ad for Redbook magazine.

Is Perc! Pop! Sprinkle! too recent? It gave us "Toaster Movements."

Some of the early shorts were really bizarre. Patriotism or Drugs Are Like That, for example.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Forget whether corn is grass or not, why DOESN'T Cathy eat breakfast​?!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Shorts Extravaganza tomorrow! I saw Trace and Frank do a short about office etiquette when they came to town, wonder if that's the one they're bringing.

It's like Duties of a Secretary but with more eating at your desk.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

I wonder if the Roger Corman version of The Fantastic Four would be a good subject? Or is it simply too slapdash?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Finally got to watching the Summer Shorts Beach Party.

Um, what the gently caress was The Baggs? WHAT WAS THAT?!?! I taste pennies and smell toast.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Wow, Boredom at Work is one of the darkest shorts I've ever seen, and that includes Circus on Ice

Also, are there two farm seasonal shorts or four?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

They had me at "His permanent mood is pine-tar incident George Brett."

https://www.rifftrax.com/the-hothead-the-forgetter

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Rirse posted:

Rewatching Balloon Land since it's the best possible day to watch that 'movie'..and I notice the lady dressed as Mother Goose at the start is the drunk narrator from the Parade section.

Yay yay!

That might be a good way to spend tomorrow morning. Balloon Land. What the hell, movie.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You should buy The Room dvd for the special features alone

Director commentary? Something more?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Full-length riff with Bridget & Mary Jo! Beyond Christmas, which looks a bit like A Christmas Carol only with three dead industrialists and a lead with the big-boy name "Jimmy."

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

I thought I was prepared for Fun in Balloonland.

I was not.

Shout, "Yay, yay!"

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Stop saying slrpnls?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Picked this up along with Star Games so I am set for weird SF films for a bit. Important question: Does Starship Invasions feature a bear in any way?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Will I be able to follow this one if I've forgotten all the riveting events in Drawing for Beginners: The Rectangle?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Olanphonia posted:

Watching Fun in Balloonland and I think I'm stroking out or something holy poo poo what is this utterly insane "movie"????

E: thank you for recommending this, I'll be billing you for my upcoming therapy

E2: I'm loving dying here the loving parade in the middle of the film what the hell

Yay, yay!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

I couldn't make it to the showing because of a work thing. But I did briefly pretend our Polycom speakerphone at work was a glaive, despite being three blades and not five.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

The moment in The Junior Prom where Mary Jo just nopes our of the riff to go get a Fresca is one of my new faves.

What a strange movie. Who knew prom was so complicated or had so many musical numbers?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Finally got around to watching Samurai Cop and that... sure was a thing. I want an entire prequel movie about the police chief and his hatred of everything.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Canned Panda posted:

I really hope this opens the Cannon floodgates! Imagine a Masters of the Universe riff! Or Hercules!

What about Golan/Globus? Their catalog would be a treat. Firewalker! It’s got Lou Gossett AND Chuck Norris! King Solomon’s Mines!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

My wife has been watching a lot of 50s kitchen shorts and last night she found one that basics said not having an all-electrical kitchen would cause a housewife to age prematurely.

“Honey, get an electric range or I will die” is a heck of a sales pitch.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

I think I had blocked out how dada Fun in Balloonland is. Teleporting children, clearly filmed inside a warehouse, weird balloons everywhere, and then such well-known classics as The Marrying Turkey. And then the parade wrap-up at the end.

In conclusion: Yay yay!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Barudak posted:

I love bridget and mary jo because most of their riffs have a personal touch or plot thread with them like two friends. The discussion of prom/not going to prom, the fact mary jo doesnt know what you do at parties where you drink, or the one about woman that they inserted photos of themselves into.

Ill ride or die for Elliot and Ian, dont care who knows.

Also love Bridget and Mary Jo. They're the most prone to fall back into Minnesota mom accent at the drop of a hat, which works really well for some of the "You need a fridge, post-war lady" shorts they do.

Duties of a Secretary is such a classic episode. "This is harder for me to watch than Saw!"

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Santa’s Christmas Circus

What the gently caress? Just... what the gently caress? Now I got that to worry about.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Watching Santa’s Summer House and I keep waiting for Cynthia Rothrock to start punching the poo poo out of all of these people.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Watched some older shorts tonight. Bill losing it as the baby during “Drugs Are Like That” is still great.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

New Bridget & Mary Jo short. I love them, especially when they do these old 50s/60s homemaker films.

We just watched this one and it is great. Includes WAY more about what goes into manufacturing Tupperware than I thought was possible.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Breadallelogram posted:

Miami Connection was one of my favorite live riffs too. I don't remember the jokes being mean, that movie is just too fun.

I'm going to be singing "Friends forever loyalty honesty" all week now.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

I think Guy From Harlem makes less sense the more times I see it. Though is THE HELL from Harlem.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

So how many civilizations is Yor going to destroy before this movie is over? So far at least three...

“Tell paleontologists I was covered in feathers!”

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Well What Now posted:

Hey there's a new VOD: The Girl From Rio, which with any luck is a side story to The Guy From Harlem.

EDIT: Oh hey, the Rifftrax crew decided to make this exact joke a running gag.

Is she the HELL from Rio?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Bedurndurn posted:

I think I'm enjoying the Mary Jo and Bridgette stuff more than Mike and the guys. Everything's so much lighter and goofier.

Same. They're instant buys for me, especially if they are about office work or homes of the future. Duties of a Secretary is a favorite.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Burkion posted:

Man, I want them to riff the Last Dinosaur

it's perfect

I remember begging my parents to stay up and watch this when it was on really really late one night. Mostly I remember the giant drilling machine and the way-out theme song.

That was a Toho production, wasn't it?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Burkion posted:

Tsuburaya actually, which is close enough. They're the company founded by the guy who did all of the special effects work for the Godzilla movies for the 50s and 60s, and the two companies still have a very close relationship. Creator of Ultraman and a bunch of other properties, as well.

The fact that it was Tsuburaya bodes well to it maybe getting a Rifftrax release one day

Holy crap, and co-produced by Rankin-Bass, no less! This would be so, so great.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

The Fourth of July is an excellent time for Bob Crane to talk about patriotism. Truly a word salad of a short, up there with Drugs Are LIke That and Your Chance To Live: Technological Failures.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Rewatched Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny the other night and it still holds up. This was the live version, so it had a bunch of bonkers shorts and then a very 70s "Jack and the Beanstalk."

Bill going "HUNNNNNNNNGH HUNNNNNNNNNGH HUNNNNNNNGH" as the Bunny breaks me every time.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

I had totally forgotten the bonkers short about the trees with human faces in front of the Whizzo film.

Also the poor kid with the hacking cough. Somebody get that kid a lozenge.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

That was amazing. It was as if Mighty Jack and Thunderbirds had a kid with Power Rangers.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Gavok posted:

Overshadowed by Attack of the Super Monsters, RiffTrax recently released a short where Marley warns Scrooge that he'll suffer for an eternity if he doesn't get a bank account and it's delightful.

I wonder why they felt the need to rename them Arthur Scrooge and Jack Marley. The only modernization in the entire film, though I do love the idea of people needing to be sold on the idea of a checking account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Day three. Missed call. My voice scares the local children.