Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This is my favorite ever made and I've only ever seen it on the crappy Kino Lorber DVD with the shaky transfer, and once projected a few years ago (transcendent experience)

https://vimeo.com/213701012

Thank you based Criterion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Stalker is imo Tarkovsky's best movie. Solaris is great but it's dragged down by a few things that didn't age well and you can tell in which movie decade it was made while Stalker is timeless. I can't wait to get a high def version.

BTW both books those movies are based on are masterpieces, highly recommended as well.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
What is disburbing while watching it, is knowing that so many of the scenes were actually filmed in contaminated areas and pretty much everyone (including Tarkovsky) got cancer because of it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

:stare: ih ad no idea this existed nd I loving love the stalker games, tyvm based criterion

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
The other thing about this movie... the whole thing is a re-shoot. All of the original film burned in a lab fire.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
This is one of the finest movies ever made and I for one am incredibly excited about this.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Fungah! posted:

:stare: ih ad no idea this existed nd I loving love the stalker games
lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fungah! posted:

:stare: ih ad no idea this existed nd I loving love the stalker games, tyvm based criterion

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Maldoror posted:

What is disburbing while watching it, is knowing that so many of the scenes were actually filmed in contaminated areas and pretty much everyone (including Tarkovsky) got cancer because of it.

There's the most devastating interview on the kino dvd where the camera assistant (or something like that) just says, very Russianly, "last year Alexandr passed away, and now I'm the only one left."

Stalker changed my fuckin' life.

Other times movies changed my fuckin' life: Andrei Rublev, The Sacrifice, Mirror, Nostalghia, Ivan's Childhood, Solaris, Steamroller and the Violin, Tron

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

theyre based on the same book, theres a throughline

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's also a American tv show coming out based on the same book as well.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Them sitting outside the room as the storm comes and passes is one of my favorite moments. Especially the sing song way the rain drops fall into the water.

It's already up for pre-order on Amazon, and they have the release date listed as July 18. If you go that route make sure you actually order the criterion blu-ray and not the old dvd release because they have them listed on the same page for some reason.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Fungah! posted:

The Roadside Picnic audiobook is excellent too if you haven't heard it.

That Vimeo trailer's soundtrack went very, very Prometheus at the end.

Are they going to sort out the soundtrack for the release? Stalker is gorgeous to look at but the (current) audio sounds like it was overdubbed by the same woman who restored that Jesus painting.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
whats the correct aspect ratio for this? i first watched this on vcd in 4:3 and just assumed the soviets didnt have access to super35 until after glasnost

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Aix posted:

whats the correct aspect ratio for this? i first watched this on vcd in 4:3 and just assumed the soviets didnt have access to super35 until after glasnost

1.37:1 so basically 4:3 (1.33:1).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Previous films were shot on 2.35:1, the aspect ratio was either aesthetic decision or because this was the second time shooting the film and they were severely lacking funds. I wonder if the first attempt was also 4:3, I'd have to look into it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

A lot of filmmakers outside Europe and the US would shoot 1.37:1 unless they used an anamorphic/large format process since they didn't warm up to matted widescreen (1.85:1).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stalker is one of those movies where I feel like I need a smart person to sit me down and explain why it's Actually Amazing.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
If you cut out all the boring bits you've got a 5 minute movie on your hands

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't think any part of it is boring, personally , and wish it was much longer

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Hector Beerlioz posted:

If you cut out all the boring bits you've got a 5 minute movie on your hands

Shut the gently caress up you stupid little biatch before I whup your rear end.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Shut the gently caress up you stupid little biatch before I whup your rear end.

lol i bet you like Terrance Malik too

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Escobarbarian posted:

Stalker is one of those movies where I feel like I need a smart person to sit me down and explain why it's Actually Amazing.

There's certainly plenty of room for intellectual explanation but Tarkovsky hated that poo poo and preferred the viewer to just get lost in the mysterious, poetic, experiential aspect. For my money, I think a big reason it's an all-time favorite is that it works beautifully on both levels.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Hector Beerlioz posted:

lol i bet you like Terrance Malik too

I like Badlands a lot. Problem?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like CG dinosaurs in tree of life (was that the actual name I kind forget)

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was great because it was visually very rich, but vague on backstory and exposition. Because of this, you can come at the film in lots of different ways. For me, the setting and visuals tell their own story in a really cool non-verbal way.

But I could see how someone would be bored out of their mind waiting for some kind of compelling plot to develop.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Kull the Conqueror posted:

There's certainly plenty of room for intellectual explanation but Tarkovsky hated that poo poo and preferred the viewer to just get lost in the mysterious, poetic, experiential aspect. For my money, I think a big reason it's an all-time favorite is that it works beautifully on both levels.

Can I change my answer to this?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Palpek posted:

BTW both books those movies are based on are masterpieces, highly recommended as well.

Which do you think is the best translation of Roadside Picnic?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Great news! I've been wanting to watch it again for a long time. And yes, I only watched it originally because of the game. :D

Maldoror posted:

Insane

Maldoror posted:

The other thing about this movie... the whole thing is a re-shoot. All of the original film burned in a lab fire.
Holy poo poo.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Someone should have told Tarkovsky it's ok to move the camera

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
I never read the book, but watching the movie, I was always confused about the stalker's paranoia in the zone. He's always talking about the extreme danger all around them and "traps" and is constantly throwing stones ahead to make sure it's safe, but there's never any "close calls" or anything, making me think that the zone was making him paranoid and there really wasn't any danger. The film goes to color and he embraces the green grass when they finally arrive, which I thought was supposed to maybe be a statement about communism or something, which went along with the paranoia somehow. But from what little I do know about Roadside Picnic, there really were supposed to be aliens that left artifacts in the zone that were dangerous. I guess it's also pretty ironic that there really was danger from irl invisible toxic waste that gave everyone cancer.

Maldoror fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 12, 2017

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Hector Beerlioz posted:

He's not for everyone, but there are people (like me) who love long hypnotic sequences in film. So many people complain about the car driving scene in Solaris, which is one of my favorite parts of the movie. I guess these are the same people that get pissed at the long "soul floating" sequences in Enter the Void. But strangely no one complains about the last third of 2001, which it's my understanding Tarkovsky hated.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

He's move the camera all the time

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
So the Blu-ray that came out last year wasn't a remaster? http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Stalker-Blu-ray/147671/

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Maldoror posted:

I never read the book, but watching the movie, I was always confused about the stalker's paranoia in the zone. He's always talking about the extreme danger all around them and "traps" and is constantly throwing stones ahead to make sure it's safe, but there's never any "close calls" or anything, making me think that the zone was making him paranoid and there really wasn't any danger. The film goes to color and he embraces the green grass when they finally arrive, which I thought was supposed to maybe be a statement about communism or something, which went along with the paranoia somehow. But from what little I do know about Roadside Picnic, there really were supposed to be aliens that left artifacts in the zone that were dangerous. I guess it's also pretty ironic that there really was danger from irl invisible toxic waste that gave everyone cancer.

the grass scene's bcause he's home. thats also the reason it fades to sepia when theyre resting near the river, its to show that hes fully relaxed and feels like hes at home.

the use of color in ths movie's so loving good, its weird that an arthouse russian movies kind of clearly referencing the wizard of oz but it freakin owns in execution

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SpaceAceJase posted:

So the Blu-ray that came out last year wasn't a remaster? http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Stalker-Blu-ray/147671/

nah this transfer sorta sucks unfortunately. none of the AE Tark releases are that good

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maldoror posted:

He's not for everyone, but there are people (like me) who love long hypnotic sequences in film. So many people complain about the car driving scene in Solaris, which is one of my favorite parts of the movie. I guess these are the same people that get pissed at the long "soul floating" sequences in Enter the Void. But strangely no one complains about the last third of 2001, which it's my understanding Tarkovsky hated.

Even though the 'hyperspace' sequence looks cool even though iirc its just helicopter shots with insanely hosed up color I actually really hated that whole last third of 2001. Actually much like the book it's a really boring film in general that just looks ludicrously good like everything else Kubrick did

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

Even though the 'hyperspace' sequence looks cool even though iirc its just helicopter shots with insanely hosed up color I actually really hated that whole last third of 2001. Actually much like the book it's a really boring film in general that just looks ludicrously good like everything else Kubrick did

I think a lot of the effect is lost on home video, though. It was intended to be shown on a huge screen in 70mm with 6-track surround sound.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

the bell making scene in andrei rublev ftmfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

and yeah if you havent seen 2001 in a theater w/the sound loud as gently caress then you haven't seen it

• Locked thread