Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

is this not the backpack thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020234&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I got a Superior Wilderness Designs Rugged Long Haul last fall and its been the best pack I've had so far. Love that thing, so nice and light and cool looking.

thats a nice looking pack

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

everything i do is in bear country and most if it is in canister-required areas AND im too tall for most packs so i am waiting on a nunatak bears ears framed pack super duper tall edition

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Oh! Speaking of nice packs, just sharing here in case anyone is looking for a decent ripstop duffel -- Duluth had the Mystery Ranch Stuffel on sale for half off, and even though they're all out now, there's a handful of the 30L red still for sale on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097BH5RLF/

Know next to nothing about the brand, but I just got the 45 Liter in and I really quite like the design with the integrated handles, backpack straps, and bottom pocket it zips itself into. Seems pretty decently built too. Plan is to use it for organizing camping gear since it fits nicely into the pass shelves on the teardrop

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I was very lucky in that the bone never full fractured and the repair was easy. No pain killers required after surgery, and I still have full range of motion.

Before I got into backpacking 2 years ago, I did a lot of cycling. But 2 years of battling afib caused me to take on a less cardio intensive activity. The funny thing is, my third cardiac ablation procedure seems to have finally fixed the afib problem and I was getting set to ramp up the biking a little bit. Fate intervened.

Godspeed on your recovery! I don't know if it's any consolation, but I'm sort of in a similar boat where my cycling fell off a cliff post-pandemic for a variety of reasons. At any rate, I'm glad to hear your ticker seems to have been successfully reset and hopefully your bones mend up well with some rest! Just gives you a bit of extra time to plan an epic adventure is all

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I got a Superior Wilderness Designs Rugged Long Haul last fall and its been the best pack I've had so far. Love that thing, so nice and light and cool looking.

That is a nice looking pack. I try to buy USA made stuff whenever possible and ended up with a ULA circuit. I did not really know how to find any of the other smaller USA made brands at the time. But I have been looking for a smaller frameless pack for some overnight type trips, and I see SWD had a 40l frameless that might be a good fit. $220 seems like a pretty good deal for a domestic, hand made pack.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My next bag is gonna be an Atlas Adventure. I just need my Mammut to hurry up and wear out. :argh:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

All this backpack talk motivated me enough to go through all* (minus my Osprey Poco kid carrier) bags and take inventory.

LL Bean Upland Hunting bag. Brand new yet to use it, but will put it through its paces this fall grouse hunting.

Hill People Gear ConnorV2 pack. My go to day hiking pack right now, and the one I used the most often when out walking the dog (RIP to my poor pooch).

Superior Wilderness Designs Rugged Long Haul 50. Love this thing. My go to for backpacking trips.

Granite Gear Leopard Winter pack. This is what I used for winter backpacking trips in the past. I generally dislike this pack and would let it go for like $50 if anyone is interested! These days I use another pack or pull a pulk for my winter trips.

Osprey Aether 70. Used for a loaner pack for friends for backpacking trips, or if Im packing heavy to carry gear for backpacking trips for my kids.

Hill People Gear Tarahumara pack. I love this for a day pack, and use it quite a bit traveling. Has good external straps that I can use to haul snowshoes around on winter trips.

Mystery Ranch Galligator. Another small little day pack. I modified the straps to use the Hill People Gear harness system which is the most comfortable Ive ever found.

Mountainsmith Tour Lumbar pack with straps. I wear this one a lot when it gets hot out in the summer and I dont want a sweaty back. Another great day pack.

Tuff Possum Shackelton pack. I use this when traveling most often as my carry on/personal item pack and on foraging trips outdoors.

Hill People Gear chest pack. I wear this when I need to haul more gear and I have a kid strapped to my back already. And on winter trips where I'm just pulling a pulk but want to hold a few things on me.

Old Camelbak, just used on longer runs in the summer.

I have a problem...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I might have to get one of those USFS Sasquatch Department patches. For years I resisted the urge to collect patches, but I've finally lost the fight.

Anyway, crossposting my new hiking bag:

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Just got this incredible Huckberry x MR collab. I can't top this. It's my last bag.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Go patches all the way! I generally dislike logos on my gear so as I get a patch I'll sew it on to cover up the logos.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now I can sleep peacefully knowing I do not have too many bags.

mystes
May 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

Now I can sleep peacefully knowing I do not have too many bags.
:emptyquote:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

In my quest to make everyone else feel better about their gear I will try and post shelters next.

mystes
May 31, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

In my quest to make everyone else feel better about their gear I will try and post shelters next.
Is your house the place they go in the Matrix when they're selecting their gear?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

mystes posted:

Is your house the place they go in the Matrix when they're selecting their gear?

I did some consulting for a field logistics company and their gear warehouse gave me those vibes for sure

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I didnt want to drag it out cause its heavy, but first up is my Ellis Canvas Tents Shackelton. Great canvas base camping tent for winter usage. I think mines the 14x14 if I recall correctly.

Bog standard REI 2 man tent for backpacking. Most frequently used on trips with my wife so we can split up the weight a bit.

Ancient Kelty that I bought for $5 from the founder of Country Ways Snowshoes! I sewed a stove jack into this for sewing practice and to have a double layer winter tent with a stove jack.

Sun shelter for when I am forced to go to the beach with my kids.

Eureka Timberline SQ 2 person tent. I use to use this for my winter trips. Heavy but bomb proof. This gets used as a loaner now mostly.

Our car camping shelter of choice. Will get used a lot this summer.

Tarps! 10x10 Cooke Custom Sewing Silnylon tent that usually sits in my day pack. A Warbonnet Superfly for winter hammock trips, and a Warbonnet Thunderfly for 3 season hammock trips. Not pictured is the 11 foot hex tarp I am currently DIYing.

Hammocks! Warbonnet Eldorado Heavyweight Double Layer. Used as a loaner hammock mostly, but I also use it from time to time for backpacking trips. A Simply Light Designs Trail Lair Hex 2.2 hammock that I just got because I wanted to test out the fabric. Heavy but may be my new go to hammock. A Simply Light Designs Trail Lair Hex 1.6oz thats my go to currently. A Dream Hammock Freebird Airwave hammock. Not pictured the Mtn 1.7oz netless hammock I am currently sewing.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Time for bags next! In my opinion if youre going to spend money on something insulation is the place to do it. Its expensive but makes a huge difference in size, weight and quality.

Custom -10F Timmermade Wren Bag and his Waterbear hood. That hood is bar none the best deep winter headgear ive come across yet. Pre-warms the air a bit as youre sleeping so you dont end up with a super dry throat and keeps you warm and toasty all night.

North Face Double 30F bag. Use this for car camping trips with the family. Super heavy and bulky, would love to upgrade this at some point, maybe to an Apex one that would pack down a bit smaller.

Loco Libre Ghost Pepper 0F Top Quilt. George at LL makes the best quilts in my opinion. This is a comfort rated 0 bag with 900 fill down, and an ounce of overstuff. Love this quilt.

Loco Libre Habanero UQ. Another custom quilt from LL. I think this one has three extra ounces of overstuff. Ive slept down to -10F with this and been completely warm.

Hammock Gear Phoenix 40F UQ. Theyre a great manufacturer. Theyre the best value for quilts around in my experience.

Loco Libre 40F Top Quilt. UL TQ, hardly weighs anything. 7d fabric and 900 fill down. Very warm as well.

Warbonnet Diamondback Custom 20F TQ. Awesome quilt. Has shock cord in the back to tighten up around your shoulders and the pattern he uses eliminates down shift. Highly recommended.

Loco Libre 20F Carolina Reaper UQ. Hes my favorite quilt maker for a reason! Nice and light, the chevron baffles he uses eliminates down shifting and it keeps me warm all night.

Kelty Kindercone 30F synthetic bag for my kid. Way to big and bulky for what it is, but I think I paid like $50.

North Face Bishop Pass 15F Womens bag my wife uses. This will be our next upgrade. Only 650 fill, and thats a survival rating.

A kids sleeping bag/bunting and a cheap ALLCAPS brand Amazon synthetic quilt. Used for summer kid camping.

Ive got two of these actually. Super heavy and bulky flannel and polyester Coleman sleeping bags rated to about 30F. They zip together to make a big bag and we use them for winter car camping. Sometimes just as flooring other times as actual bags.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

On the topic of shelters, I've been looking for some sort of tailgate awning shelter, and stumbled on these Slumberjack Roadhouse Tarps.

Seems to be extremely flexible and perfect for the back hatch on the teardrop, so I just placed an order and I'm excited to test it out here on my next trip. Dunno if anyone else is looking for a bigass tarp they can pitch from a vehicle anchor point, but thought I'd share here!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Catatron Prime posted:

On the topic of shelters, I've been looking for some sort of tailgate awning shelter, and stumbled on these Slumberjack Roadhouse Tarps.

Seems to be extremely flexible and perfect for the back hatch on the teardrop, so I just placed an order and I'm excited to test it out here on my next trip. Dunno if anyone else is looking for a bigass tarp they can pitch from a vehicle anchor point, but thought I'd share here!

I have a Kelty Waypoint, which appears to be the same idea as this.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Go patches all the way! I generally dislike logos on my gear so as I get a patch I'll sew it on to cover up the logos.

patches have mass, not optimizing kit weight, smdh

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Costco currently has a GSI car camping kitchen set For $50 in a nice zip up case with cutting boards, knives, cutlery etc. I considered it but I'm rarely with that many people.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Verman posted:

Costco currently has a GSI car camping kitchen set For $50 in a nice zip up case with cutting boards, knives, cutlery etc. I considered it but I'm rarely with that many people.

I literally bought this 2 hours ago

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

The Fool posted:

I literally bought this 2 hours ago

RE: GSI set

Same.

Ours also has a 2 burner Coleman stove for $60.
I also bought that.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Can you link the gsi kit please? I'm planning to do some of that this summer

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

it's a costco exclusive so it's hard to find a real link but here's a weird article about it: https://parade.com/food/costco-gsi-camp-kitchen-kit

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

FogHelmut posted:

Man I just want to keep buying backpacks.

I got an osprey kamber 20 today. I wanted something I could strap my snowshoes to during day hikes

test driving it tomorrow :thumbsup:

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
Omg you guys I got the early access lottery for Wonderland trail :yayclod:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

liz posted:

Oh that's incredible, congrats!! Can't wait to see some shots after your trip :dance:

I've been trying to figure out what all I want to try and see this year too... I need to get my butt in gear and start making some real plans before everything books up!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We put in lotteries for about half a dozen locations ranging from Katmai to the wave and got none of them. We'll find plenty of other stuff to do but man it's a bummer.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

liz posted:

Same, although looks like my reservation window is pretty late in the early access period:

Awarded Date / Time: Apr 18, 2024 - 3:00 PM PDT
Early Access Period: Mar 21, 2024 - Apr 19, 2024

Ideally I'd like to camp around the N-NE section but we'll see.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Laterite posted:

Same, although looks like my reservation window is pretty late in the early access period: Early Access Period: Mar 21, 2024 - Apr 19, 2024

Wait, you're trying to backpack the wonderland trail (assuming you mean the one in washington) in mid april? Do you have winter backpacking experience?

Most of the roads are closed in the park for the winter, except for the south side (longmire to Paradise). If you're trying to do the NE side, you would have to walk a 20 mile closed road that will likely be buried in feet of snow just to get to the Sunrise visitor center, which will also be closed.

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 14, 2024

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Dang congrats to you both! I hope you’re able to book trips. I did not, although we did get a very early season enchantments permit. Currently pondering whether I want to try for a general availability of walk up wonderland or if it’s time to bail entirely and plan a trek in the Olympics or north cascades

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Verman posted:

Wait, you're trying to backpack the wonderland trail (assuming you mean the one in washington) in mid april? Do you have winter backpacking experience?

Most of the roads are closed in the park for the winter, except for the south side (longmire to Paradise). If you're trying to do the NE side, you would have to walk a 20 mile closed road that will likely be buried in feet of snow just to get to the Sunrise visitor center, which will also be closed.

No, this is just the lottery for a time slot in which you can book permits for the normal season.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Bloody posted:

No, this is just the lottery for a time slot in which you can book permits for the normal season.

Oh good. I was really trying to avoid making GBS threads on someones plans but that wouldve been crazy early to try and head there.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I am a moron in many other aspects of life, but not that.

However, being slotted so late in the early access booking period means I will likely have to be flexible with whatever's still available by then, and plan accordingly.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 15, 2024

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I applied for enchantments lottery for roughly 10 years finally nabbing one for the core zone 3 weeks before my first kid was due. I’ve stopped applying since, maybe one day….

Did get my pref BWCA spots though!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I applied for enchantments lottery for roughly 10 years finally nabbing one for the core zone 3 weeks before my first kid was due.

incredibly owned

funk_mata
Nov 1, 2005

I'm hot for you and you're hot for me--ooka dooka dicka dee.
Clapping Larry

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I applied for enchantments lottery for roughly 10 years finally nabbing one for the core zone 3 weeks before my first kid was due. I’ve stopped applying since, maybe one day….

Did get my pref BWCA spots though!

I said "gently caress it" last year and hiked the whole thing in a day. Got tired of wasting $ every year now that the odds to get a spot are starting to turn into real lottery odds.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
What's the most breathable raingear people could recommend? I'm a heavy sweater and frankly if I'm powering up mountains it feels like I may as well not bother with a jacket as I'll get just as wet from the inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

carrionman posted:

What's the most breathable raingear people could recommend? I'm a heavy sweater and frankly if I'm powering up mountains it feels like I may as well not bother with a jacket as I'll get just as wet from the inside.

I've kinda given up on this myself. I'm a steam engine too as I get going and as far as I understand it the physics are not on my side. Even if you have a perfectly breathing membrane (eg. it transmits water vapor with theoretical perfect efficiency from inside to out), it will do close to nothing when it rains because the outside air's relative humidity is over 90%. The membrane will only transmit water vapor when the outside humidity is lower than inside which in practice means a breathable shell will offer relief only when used during light drizzle at best. Making a concentrated effort on taking it easy during the rain helps the most if you want to be more comfortable. If it helps you can also think that a rain jacket's most important function when hiking is not to keep you dry and comfortable but to keep you warm and functional. Swimming in your own sweat is safer than being constantly washed with cold water. Hiking sucks but I love it.

For the bottom a rain skirt works alright for me. If it's mega windy pants are probably better.

FWIW once I've worn down my current supposedly breathable gore tex rain jacket I'll probably try out a totally non-breathable one with long armpit zippers.