Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

carrionman posted:

What's the most breathable raingear people could recommend? I'm a heavy sweater and frankly if I'm powering up mountains it feels like I may as well not bother with a jacket as I'll get just as wet from the inside.

Umbrella. As long as it's not too windy it's hard to beat. They make light and handsfree hiking versions these days. Bonus - can use them for shade on sunny days too! Smaller ones with less coverage will have to paired with a rain skirt to keep your legs dry and complete the ultimate function-over-form-I-give-zero-fucks hiking fashion statement.

Personally, if it's too warm for a hard shell or rain jacket, I just embrace it and wear stuff that won't chafe when wet that also dries fast (synthetic). I always bring packable rain gear (and potentially some lighter wool layers depending on conditions) in case I get cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm team poncho all the way. Cheap, multipurpose, and offers way more ventilation. I don't use a rain jacket or pants until the temps get down to the 50s or so. Above that a poncho will keep you dry and cooler.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

j.peeba posted:

Even if you have a perfectly breathing membrane (eg. it transmits water vapor with theoretical perfect efficiency from inside to out), it will do close to nothing when it rains because the outside air's relative humidity is over 90%. The membrane will only transmit water vapor when the outside humidity is lower than inside which in practice means a breathable shell will offer relief only when used during light drizzle at best.

Making a concentrated effort on taking it easy during the rain helps the most if you want to be more comfortable. If it helps you can also think that a rain jacket's most important function when hiking is not to keep you dry and comfortable but to keep you warm and functional. Swimming in your own sweat is safer than being constantly washed with cold water.
This first part is not necessarily true. It blew my mind when I moved from the humid east to the not humid PNW, that when it rains here, the rain is falling through dry air. You can have rain and low humidity at the same time! It only has to be 100% humidity up high to generate the rain (and in fact if the rain is very light and the air below is very dry you can get virga, visibly curtains of rain that never reach the ground.

But ultimately your second point is true, sometimes you just have to take it easy or accept that you'll get sweaty inside.

j.peeba posted:

FWIW once I've worn down my current supposedly breathable gore tex rain jacket I'll probably try out a totally non-breathable one with long armpit zippers.

Besides hiking, I bike commute in the rain all the time and goretex + pit zips is an essential combo imo. If your current goretex jacket doesnt have pit zips that could be a big part of the problem. I wouldn't just give up one to take the other, get one with both.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Pit zips are one of the most important items that none of my outerwear has. Winter jacket? Pit zips. Puffy coat? Pit zips. Waterproof shell? Pit zips.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have a fully waterproof rain jacket and pit zips do jack poo poo for managing my temperature on a hike. It doesn't seem effective to have a small chunk of your body exposed to air when the other 90% of it is encased in an impermeable coffin. So I pretty much only use that as a hardshell these days when it's below 10F and the wind is howling because it's the most no-bullshit windbreaker I got.

+1 to umbrellas or ponchos.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It’s not about managing temperature, it’s about managing humidity. Gotta let the sweat out.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
An umbrella sounds pretty good but isn't exactly practical for what I'm doing. I guess I'll start by trying a poncho.

Mostly when it has been concerning me is on semi alpine hunting trips, daytime temps between 0 and 6°c with occasional freezing rain and near constant fog makes for fun times with hypothermia risk.

We also got caught in a big dumping, 30mm rain per hour for about 3 hours, fun times when you're half a day away from the nearest hut.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's the tail end of snow season so it's got me thinking about clearance stuff to keep on eye on between now and through the summer. I'm thinking I want a pair of AT skis. I don't really have any desire to summit mountains and bomb a run, my goals are mostly rolling terrain or moderate inclines to get back into mountain valleys. I could probably do just fine on a pair of traditional cross country skis but I did a lot of downhill in my younger days and I am kinda sold on the idea of being able to have a stiff boot firmly locked into a binding. But I'm not dead set on it.

So sell me on one or the other! I don't need speed or agility I mostly want good flotation when breaking trails and stability when cruising down a slope.

One question I do have is taking breaks in deep snow with skies. With my snowshoes I can stomp out a square, drop my seating pad on it, take off the shoes, and keep my feet on the decking to prevent postholing. How does that play out with skis?

Also how annoying are skins?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hey guys, looking for a recommendation for a large pack that still fits as a carry-on for flights?

I'll be bringing at least:
- Tent + sleeping bag
- Climbing shoes + harness
- Two days of clothes
- 30 & 60oz water bottles
- Other stuff I haven't realized I need yet?

Also, super awkward that you can fly with a tent but tent stakes need to go in checked luggage. I mean I get it, but still annoying lol.

Planning my first flying-and-camping trip in May and just finding a bunch of small hiccups like this :v:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 18, 2024

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I know it's not what your asking for but i'd just get a duffel cover for your pack and check it

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don't be the guy who tries to argue his entire backpacking setup through carryon. Get one of those duffel bags made for backpacks and check it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The Fool posted:

I know it's not what your asking for but i'd just get a duffel cover for your pack and check it

Airlines will sell you "car seat covers", thats what weve always used for our packs with great success.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea the more I think about it I think I'll just have to suck it up and deal with the mild added inconvenience of checked luggage.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

xzzy posted:

It's the tail end of snow season so it's got me thinking about clearance stuff to keep on eye on between now and through the summer. I'm thinking I want a pair of AT skis. I don't really have any desire to summit mountains and bomb a run, my goals are mostly rolling terrain or moderate inclines to get back into mountain valleys. I could probably do just fine on a pair of traditional cross country skis but I did a lot of downhill in my younger days and I am kinda sold on the idea of being able to have a stiff boot firmly locked into a binding. But I'm not dead set on it.

So sell me on one or the other! I don't need speed or agility I mostly want good flotation when breaking trails and stability when cruising down a slope.

One question I do have is taking breaks in deep snow with skies. With my snowshoes I can stomp out a square, drop my seating pad on it, take off the shoes, and keep my feet on the decking to prevent postholing. How does that play out with skis?

Also how annoying are skins?

Cross country skis are so much lighter and leather boots much more comfortable than touring skis and plastic boots. If you really aren't going to be in any difficult terrain I'd recommend making the switch. I also initially felt uncertain going with free heels coming from alpine skis, but it just seemed silly to use all this heavy gear mainly designed for steep downhills with the ability to go uphill awkwardly tacked on when the perfect tool for moderate ups and downs already exists.

I don't like the super narrow racing skis since I want to be able to go off trail. I mainly use what are called "fjellski" here, which are wider (sometimes too wide for the cuts on groomed trails) and have steel edges. Åsnes have a great lineup of various styles if you can get them where you are and their skin system is good - integrated attachment points for their "kicker" skins. Unless I'm somewhere really flat I mostly just leave my skins on and live with a bit less glide, which you definitely can't do on a touring setup with full length skins.

My goal for the next couple seasons is to learn to Telemark turn so I can hit the occasional steeper section with more confidence with free heels.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sab669 posted:

Yea the more I think about it I think I'll just have to suck it up and deal with the mild added inconvenience of checked luggage.

with the limited space in the cabin, and everyone else fighting for overhead space it's not even an added inconvenience anymore

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It is in the sense of having to get to the airport earlier :v:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Get TSA precheck too if you havent already.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sab669 posted:

They've been offering free gate checks before every flight I've been on recently.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Sab669 posted:

Hey guys, looking for a recommendation for a large pack that still fits as a carry-on for flights?

- Tent + sleeping bag
- Two days of clothes

Also, super awkward that you can fly with a tent but tent stakes need to go in checked luggage. I mean I get it, but still annoying lol.

Planning my first flying-and-camping trip in May and just finding a bunch of small hiccups like this :v:

Depending on who you're flying with, I'd pay extra for expedited boarding so you can get an overhead carryon bin for your pack and anything fragile. Checked luggage takes a hell of a beating, so I'd be nervous about anything nice like carbon fiber frames on your pack and whatnot.

Are you going to have a rental vehicle or anywhere to stash your travel clothes and whatnot while you're on the trail? Last time I flew and backpacked, this was really nice to have, because a rental was cheaper and easier to deal with for getting to the trailhead. I thought I'd just wear my spare change of clothes, but it's just really nice having some fresh normal clothes to change into for when you get off the trail and want to go get some pizza and beer. Sounds like you might be base camping and climbing, so maybe not necessary? Just a thought.

Tent stakes are cheap and ubiquitous, you might just plan on buying some when you arrive or shipping some to pick up at your destination instead of checking a pack for that one thing. I'm assuming you'll need to purchase fuel canisters and lighters and whatnot upon arrival anyways.

Otherwise, yeah, I'd agree a duffel is the way to go if you're checking something. Just be aware anything inside is going to be crushed and beaten up pretty good. I would also very highly recommend an airtag for your checked luggage (and your normal backpack too). Waxed canvas (like LL Bean's duffels) are really nice and super durable. That's what I used for my carryons now, that plus a backpack. I also recently picked up a few of these Mystery Ranch Stuffel's on sale, and the 45 Liter might be a good fit for the task. Ripstop nylon, pretty light, integrated handles and clippable backpack straps, separate bottom compartment, and seems to be pretty well constructed. I'm also sure your local thrift stores would have some duffels suited for the task.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They've been offering free gate checks before every flight I've been on recently.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean, but my understanding was if you have checked luggage you need to arrive a little bit earlier than if you have only a carry on. I had to have my flight bumped like 2 years ago [last time I flew] because I missed the cutoff for when checked luggage was being loaded onto the plane, not realizing that was a thing :(

Catatron Prime posted:

Are you going to have a rental vehicle

Yea I'm just renting a lil' 2 seater convertible off Turo. I was easily convinced to just go the checked route from the other responses, so I'm going to use a small suitcase I have and use my regular ~20L pack for my carryon, pretty sure the suitcase is small enough to fit in the trunk and then I'll just have my bag on me the rest of the time.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sab669 posted:

I'm not sure what exactly you mean, but my understanding was if you have checked luggage you need to arrive a little bit earlier than if you have only a carry on. I had to have my flight bumped like 2 years ago [last time I flew] because I missed the cutoff for when checked luggage was being loaded onto the plane, not realizing that was a thing :(

Oh, what I mean is that overhead storage is usually full on flights now, so at the gate the attendants will ask for people to voluntarily check their carry-ons. They offer it for free at the gate, whereas sometimes you have to pay for checked baggage if you request it in advance.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

Cross country skis are so much lighter and leather boots much more comfortable than touring skis and plastic boots.

Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't quite gotten into the weeds on this yet but dang those touring skis are almost double the weight. Traditional cross-country is also half the cost.

I see videos of people doing hockey stops on cross country skis so maybe like you said they're just fine.

quote:

I mainly use what are called "fjellski" here,

Looks like the american version is "backcountry skis".

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Sab669 posted:

- Tent + sleeping bag
- Two days of clothes

It's going to depend a lot on your tent and sleeping bag. I've taken all my backpacking gear and carry-on permissible climbing gear in an arcteryx FL45, but that's only possible because it was a very compressible sleeping bag and a trekking pole supported tent. Anyway like you say, there is always some poo poo you have to check anyway unless you want to buy it when you get there (any liquid fuel stove, anything sharp, trekking pole....).

If you just need a pack that is compatible with the stated carry-on limitations in the US, I think 50L or so is about the limit, depending on how stuffed it is.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

carrionman posted:

What's the most breathable raingear people could recommend? I'm a heavy sweater and frankly if I'm powering up mountains it feels like I may as well not bother with a jacket as I'll get just as wet from the inside.

As pointed out an umbrella is 100% breathable, but I don't find them (or ponchos) to be practical in the mountains because they don't do well in high winds.

The thing is if it's really cold, windy, and raining...nobody ever complained about being too warm. If it's not those things, but you are still in mountain weather, light fleece (or just a thicker baselayer) + reasonably breathable windbreaker is imo really great at keeping your base layer pretty dry, and you can roll up sleeves or unzip one or the other to trade off waterproofness vs. breathability.

If it's raining hard and not windy, poncho or umbrella is the way to go.

The good thing is windbreakers and ponchos are extremely light and packable, so if you're doing something where there is an approach through a forest in pouring rain, more rain during a hike above the treeline, and freezing wind driven rain on a summit...you could just bring a poncho, a windbreaker, and a hardshell and they wont be much more weight and volume than if you just brought the hardshell. Personally I just take a windbreaker + hardshelll and use the former 90% of the time.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

On the topic of flying with backpacks, I've both checked and carried-on my ULA circuit without issue many times. When checking I made sure there was enough stuff (tent, sleeping bag, puffy, etc) in it to pad it out and weaved the straps + hip belt together to minimize the dangly parts getting caught up in the machinery. I used to get nervous about the frame getting damaged during handling, but after abusing the poo poo out of my pack for 6 months on the PCT I found it much more resilient than it appears.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The largest pack I've flown with that I carried on is my Gregory savant 50l pack. It's small for the size but it holds a decent amount. It fits in most compartments without issue unless you're on a much older plane or a small regional jet. I usually try to compress it down as much as possible. In the later cases, usually only purses and briefcases fit anyway so you'll likely be gate checking a normal carry on.

Any time I've flown to go backpacking, I just check my bag and encase it in a duffel. I used to have an army duffel because they're bomb proof but also don't want to be mistaken for a military bro. I have a large REI duffel instead because they fold down smaller when not in use. Air tag it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

My Osprey Kestrel 48L is my primary travelling bag, like for non-backpacking related travel - it fits in airplane overhead bins perfectly and is so much easier than lugging a rolly bag around. Even now with 2 kids, my wife and I each wear our Kestrel packs, one of us wears a daypack in the front with diaper + plane necessities, the other wears the baby strapped on front, and between us we have everything we need for a week long trip. Bigger kid carries her little backpack with her books and fun plane stuff. If we're going somewhere that a car is necessary, we check car seats (which is free).

Several times (pre kid) we have travelled to some place where we were going to spend a week or more doing non-backpacking stuff, but also do some backpacking at some point during the trip. Somehow we always managed to fit everything for both halves of the trip in just the backpacks :shrug: we bundled our sleeping pads up with string and called them our personal under-the-seat items. Of course for the sake of having a knife we would have to check one of our bags but otherwise we could have carried both on.

e: One additional bonus of using a pack as your carry on is when they start insisting that people gate-check their rolly bags, they never give the backpack a second glance, and I usually get to carry it on no problem.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
so if im checking a backpack i dont need to buy some fancy duffle bag to put it in ahead of time right? this thread isnt making me paranoid for no reason surely?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

"need" is a strong word but what do you think is going to happen if one of those 50 loose straps gets caught on something

backpack duffles are cheap

and someone earlier recommended getting a car seat cover, which you can just ask for at the airport and they will give it to you

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Knock on wood but I've never had an issue with checking a bare backpack. I do always make a point to tidy up any loose straps but I've never put it within another bag.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Iirc those big ikea bags work well. Idk I’ve never flown w a backpack

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
The first time I flew with my backpack I just put its rain cover on. Somewhere along the line it rubbed against something and it got two holes so since then I’ve been double bagging or using the airport services to get it wrapped.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
It's a mechanical process, with rollers, conveyer belts, loading into ground transport, and stuffing into crammed spaces before repeating. Must you have a duffel or some other protection? Not necessarily. Is it probably a good too idea to cover your pack up with something as a cheap insurance policy? I'd lean towards yes, especially if you need to rely on the integrity of your backpack at your destination. Plus lightweight materials like Dyneema don't have great abrasion resistance. Any sort of cover should work well though, and thrift stores in your area should have plenty of cheap duffels to choose from.

I just really like nice packs, hence the earlier recommendations :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you can't find a duffel that fits your bag properly, take a look at cheap hockey bags. I have a youth one that perfectly fits a fully loaded 50+10 backpack. It was like $30.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Not just spending the 20 bucks to protect potentially hundreds of dollars worth of gear is wild.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My fear has always been that my soft bag will be crushed by all the hard suitcases.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I fly to hunt usually once a year and I take my Exo Mountain Gear pack as a carry on (compressed down pretty far with just expensive optics and electronics in it usually) with Southwest. I probably wouldn't risk it with another airline as it's a little bit over the max carry on size but since a ton of people check bags there's always space in the overheads. If I were checking my pack I'd throw it into one of these oversized duffels I have https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-ripcord-duffle-bag

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Personally I don't think it's an impact you have to worry about. It's the abrasion.

Backpacks have lightweight fabrics, plastic buckles, lots of straps, bungee cords ... Lots of things to get broken, rip, tear, get caught in the roller system ...

If I'm just traveling for fun, I might but care *as* much since I'm using it as a suitcase. If I'm flying to go on a hiking trip where my pack will be an integral piece of gear that NEEDS to function, you sure as poo poo know I'm at checking it packed into a duffel to protect it. Missing a strap or important buckle would suck.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
The first time I flew with my backpack I put its rain cover on for protection and for keeping all the straps and buckles in place. It rubbed against something and got two holes on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Double posting a day apart. Nice!