Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

There have been a couple of nice days and I really want to go camping but none of the campgrounds in MA open until around the end of the month :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pop on over to ioverlander and find a dispersed camping site.

mystes
May 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

Pop on over to ioverlander and find a dispersed camping site.
There also aren't dispersed camping sites in massachusetts afaik

Edit: maybe there's somewhere at the western end where you can with a permit or something but it's not like places where there's tons of blm land you can just camp at whenever you want

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 1, 2024

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I'm so excited... I've been underutilizing my pie irons, so I picked up this little recipe book for ideas, and man, everything looks so delicious! Granted it's all really simple stuff, but I just really enjoy flipping through some of the ideas and picking things out instead of thinking of meals from scratch.

Plus there's some genuinely great ideas in there like smooshing down a cinnamon roll for the dough on cream cheese & fruit filled pancakes :haw:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Most of why I enjoy camping is pie iron usage.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Catatron Prime posted:

I'm so excited... I've been underutilizing my pie irons, so I picked up this little recipe book for ideas, and man, everything looks so delicious! Granted it's all really simple stuff, but I just really enjoy flipping through some of the ideas and picking things out instead of thinking of meals from scratch.

Plus there's some genuinely great ideas in there like smooshing down a cinnamon roll for the dough on cream cheese & fruit filled pancakes :haw:

I just got one of these irons and have been wondering what I should do with it. Would love to hear others' ideas.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Butter. White bread. Pie filling (blueberry/Cherry), marshmallow. Apple pie filling is also great. Basically camp empanadas. Can also do a variation on s'mores. Cinnamon rolls from a can are great. Grilled cheeses with good cheese and picked onions are mind blowing.

Butter the irons. Put bread on top and bottom. Put ingredients between bread. Clamp shut.

Take it out after a few minutes, usually right when it starts smoking. Let it cool because you will burn the gently caress out of your mouth.

Enjoy.

:wal: diabeetus

You can also do pizza pockets with mozzarella, sauce and pepperoni in a pita. Make some Indian style chicken for a samosa with some naan bread, roast some pork or beef at home and use that for savory pies. My buddy brought pie crust and it worked surprisingly well.

Ham and cheese sandwiches/paninis of any sort are easy. One time we just put a whole loving cheese burger, bun included in one. We precooked the patty. It had no business being that delicious. Crunchy exterior and juicy cheesy burger.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Verman posted:

Butter. White bread. Pie filling (blueberry/Cherry), marshmallow. Apple pie filling is also great. Basically camp empanadas. Can also do a variation on s'mores. Cinnamon rolls from a can are great. Grilled cheeses with good cheese and picked onions are mind blowing.

Butter the irons. Put bread on top and bottom. Put ingredients between bread. Clamp shut.

Take it out after a few minutes, usually right when it starts smoking. Let it cool because you will burn the gently caress out of your mouth.

Enjoy.

:wal: diabeetus

You can also do pizza pockets with mozzarella, sauce and pepperoni in a pita. Make some Indian style chicken for a samosa with some naan bread, roast some pork or beef at home and use that for savory pies. My buddy brought pie crust and it worked surprisingly well.

Ham and cheese sandwiches/paninis of any sort are easy. One time we just put a whole loving cheese burger, bun included in one. We precooked the patty. It had no business being that delicious. Crunchy exterior and juicy cheesy burger.

Oh man, I just added pie iron cheeseburgers to my grocery list for the trip! Reminds me of one I had in Chicago awhile back, where the center of the burger contained a delicious molten glob of cheese with an entire loaf of onion rings on the side, and it was so perfect with green beer

Ohhhhh... I should try some pie iron pie-rogies, or.... I bet Reubens would be aces! Indian is also such a great idea, little pie iron samosas, garlic naan with Tikka Misala filling, or even tasty bites Madras Lentils with some rotisserie chicken shredded and divvied between several other meals

I'm beginning to suspect I may have popped one too many edibles this evening

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've never seen nor heard of a pie iron until today

And I want one

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

You can get close with some tinfoil, but yeah pie irons are amazing

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Ah so that’s how uncrustables are made

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Catatron Prime posted:

Reminds me of one I had in Chicago awhile back, where the center of the burger contained a delicious molten glob of cheese

Ahh a juicy lucy. Not my favorite but it's definitely a thing, usually more of a Minnesota thing if I remember correctly but available across the Midwest.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I've seen pie irons, usually sold as grilled cheese pans or something like that, in the camping section of various stores ever since I was a kid. I nene considered getting one because it always seemed like holding a piece of cast iron on a long rod would get awkward and tiring pretty quickly.

By the time I started seeing things you could drive into the ground to help support the thing, I'd moved on to outdoor cooking that was more like what I do at home on the range top and baking quick and yeast breads in Dutch ovens.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
We have a toddler (~28lb currently) and an Osprey Poco. We've had the Poco since before she was old enough to sit in it and we've used it plenty. Or, more specially, my wife has because for some reason I just cannot get a fit on it that doesn't end up seizing up my neck and shoulders after a couple miles (with kid in--when it's empty and relatively light it's no problem).

After last hike, I was tempted by a front carrier such as Trail Magik. I admit my only knowledge of it comes from Instagram ads, though. Has anyone tried one of these?

When our kid was still a baby, we used a Baby Bjorn front carrier. It worked great other than getting you (and the kid) real sweaty on hot days.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

incogneato posted:

When our kid was still a baby, we used a Baby Bjorn front carrier. It worked great other than getting you (and the kid) real sweaty on hot days.

I have used both (not those exact brands) with multiple children, and I would not go with a front carrier unless it was extreme cold or just a short walk. Are you sure you have all the straps properly tightened/positioned? 30 lbs is not nothing, especially hiking with any elevation.

Fortunately we have found that at age 3+ the kids mostly prefer to walk, and only go in the backpack when tired/cranky.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Are you adjusting the poco for your torso size when swapping between you and your wife?

You've also really got to get that thing tight around the hips. Having used both I will always opt for the Poco, it just carries way better and more comfortably for myself and the kid.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

tarlibone posted:

I've seen pie irons, usually sold as grilled cheese pans or something like that, in the camping section of various stores ever since I was a kid. I nene considered getting one because it always seemed like holding a piece of cast iron on a long rod would get awkward and tiring pretty quickly.

By the time I started seeing things you could drive into the ground to help support the thing, I'd moved on to outdoor cooking that was more like what I do at home on the range top and baking quick and yeast breads in Dutch ovens.

We just set em on the ground in embers/by the fire. No need to hold a-la marshmallows.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Dick Ripple posted:

I have used both (not those exact brands) with multiple children, and I would not go with a front carrier unless it was extreme cold or just a short walk. Are you sure you have all the straps properly tightened/positioned? 30 lbs is not nothing, especially hiking with any elevation.

Fortunately we have found that at age 3+ the kids mostly prefer to walk, and only go in the backpack when tired/cranky.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Are you adjusting the poco for your torso size when swapping between you and your wife?

You've also really got to get that thing tight around the hips. Having used both I will always opt for the Poco, it just carries way better and more comfortably for myself and the kid.

I've adjusted it in the past and still had issues, but I should probably give it another shot. I've carried well over 40+ lbs in both my Gregory and Mystery Ranch bags without pain, so it's either the bag or how I'm adjusting it. I do have some past neck/shoulder injuries that probably aren't helping. User error is a good guess. I'll give playing around with adjustments another try.

Thankfully the 2.5 year old is walking far more these days (in terms of time, certainly not distance). But I think we're still looking at naps and long rides in the pack for this summer season at least. I've got mixed feelings about it, since I'll miss being able to put in longer miles, but it'll be nice to go back to my normal packs, too.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've done a ton of hiking with both the ergo and the poco, and while the ergo is more convenient for short trips around town, the poco (or similar) is about a zillion times better for real hikes.

Backpacking with pack on back and baby on front is a different story... Sometimes you gotta do it. But if possible to fit your stuff this way, imo it's still better to do baby + as much gear as you can strap on in my back, rest of gear with your partner.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Oh man. Amazon vine paid off. I've been looking at small refillable propane canisters so I don't need to use the disposable ones.

5lb and it came with a carrying case.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
What is amazon vine? Are you being sent free things to review?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

incogneato posted:

I've adjusted it in the past and still had issues, but I should probably give it another shot. I've carried well over 40+ lbs in both my Gregory and Mystery Ranch bags without pain, so it's either the bag or how I'm adjusting it. I do have some past neck/shoulder injuries that probably aren't helping. User error is a good guess. I'll give playing around with adjustments another try.

Thankfully the 2.5 year old is walking far more these days (in terms of time, certainly not distance). But I think we're still looking at naps and long rides in the pack for this summer season at least. I've got mixed feelings about it, since I'll miss being able to put in longer miles, but it'll be nice to go back to my normal packs, too.

Yeah adjust the torso size for sure as a first step. A lot of people (including me before I knew better) assumed taller person = longer torso. But I'm a good foot taller than my wife and my torso is only 2-3 inches longer, so I didnt need to be cranking the torso adjustment all the way down like I thought I would.

After you get the torso sized right start on the hipbelt, then the shoulder straps, then the load lifters, then the sternum strap. They give a good overview here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SGiGZlppMM

My kid is going to turn 3 this summer, but she still gets plenty of rides in the pack. We usually slowly plod along until she gets bored or tired and then we put her in the pack, she'll fall asleep in that thing pretty quick most days.

Another thing I do with that pack is carry a chest pack - https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1 That lets me carry a lot of things I want on hand for easy access while hauling the kid around. Just gives me a bit more room to pack things in addition to that bottom pocket in the Poco.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Dick Ripple posted:

What is amazon vine? Are you being sent free things to review?

Basically.

I occasionally write reviews, or I used to, and enough of them were found to be useful enough that I got an invite to the program. They have a selection of products available. There's a lot of random junk in there to sift through and the filters aren't great. It changes daily so you need to look pretty often. There are two tiers, the first is capped at products value less than $100. The next is unlimited. You have to review a certain amount of items every 6 months to stay active.

Most of the good stuff I've received has been a lot of sleeping pads, one from kelty, two Osprey backpacks, a knockoff jetboil, some backpacking pots/tea kettle very similar to the GSI stuff, 5lb propane tank, headlamps galore, ski goggles, a ski wax and tune-up kit, lots of tools and sockets. I got a few replacement parts for my 4runner and Prius. We're expecting in August so now my wife has started on the maternity stuff and some random baby things. I got an electric paddle board pump. They had a $1000 DeWalt laser level that I missed out on. Otherwise I usually just grab small useful stuff and giveaway a lot of it. I wish there was an option to minimize shipments into one so that I didn't get as many boxes.

I was skeptical of the program at first and decided to try and get to the second tier to see what else was available and if it was worth it. So far it has been but I'm not sure how long I'll do it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Verman posted:

Basically.

I occasionally write reviews, or I used to, and enough of them were found to be useful enough that I got an invite to the program. They have a selection of products available. There's a lot of random junk in there to sift through and the filters aren't great. It changes daily so you need to look pretty often. There are two tiers, the first is capped at products value less than $100. The next is unlimited. You have to review a certain amount of items every 6 months to stay active.

Most of the good stuff I've received has been a lot of sleeping pads, one from kelty, two Osprey backpacks, a knockoff jetboil, some backpacking pots/tea kettle very similar to the GSI stuff, 5lb propane tank, headlamps galore, ski goggles, a ski wax and tune-up kit, lots of tools and sockets. I got a few replacement parts for my 4runner and Prius. We're expecting in August so now my wife has started on the maternity stuff and some random baby things. I got an electric paddle board pump. They had a $1000 DeWalt laser level that I missed out on. Otherwise I usually just grab small useful stuff and giveaway a lot of it. I wish there was an option to minimize shipments into one so that I didn't get as many boxes.

I was skeptical of the program at first and decided to try and get to the second tier to see what else was available and if it was worth it. So far it has been but I'm not sure how long I'll do it.
Definitely take advantage of it if you can. Otoh anyone who actually listens to vine reviews is a moron.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

mystes posted:

Definitely take advantage of it if you can. Otoh anyone who actually listens to vine reviews is a moron.

Yeah I try to be pretty honest with mine, they get "reviewed" for approval but it's a flawed system and people definitely do the bare minimum for free stuff. I'm sure there are also people out there reviewing this poo poo five stars without using it and just selling it on Facebook marketplace. Anytime I look at reviews I always look for the most helpful reviews voted by other people. I'll read the worst reviews, read the just helpful etc. Like anything you have to read through the lines and see if the person sounds competent and knows what they were doing, and if their complaint seems valid. REI has a similar program that I just became aware of a few weeks ago.

ombredog
Apr 4, 2024

for every post i make i order myself to do three squats and take an effervescent multivitamin on top of my tallest hill in my town. it helps my reception

Chillyrabbit posted:

I'm looking for some footwear recommendations.

I currently have a pair of Salomon X ultra 4 GTX hiking shoes, that I purchased around 2021 when they first came out. Now they are pretty beat up and worn down and I'm looking for a replacement. The easy option is to just rebuy them again, since I liked them but I wanted to explore other alternatives in case there are new shoes since then that have come out or ones that fit my use cases better.

I use my Salomons as my everyday outdoor/hiking shoe, if there was any chance I would walk in dirt, mud, snow, rain I wore them. I've probably walked more miles on pavement with them than trail but I appreciated the toughness and resilience that getting them a little wet didn't mean my socks/feet were soaked unlike sneakers.

I like the low cut of the shoe as I want to use them for day hiking, and general outdoor use and don't need "ankle support". I prize the light weight and flexibility of the shoe so much that it is one of my most comfortable shoes to wear just all the time. I probably would go for a goretex model to resist any rain/water that gets on or splashes on the shoe but I can do without.

I've been looking at trail runners as an alternative option to consider but I don't really know how to pick or narrow down my search as every shoe is "premium" "light" "flexible" "perfect for [you]".

So alternative shoes/brands I should explore? Or just buy the Salomons again because they're that good, (nearly every "best hiking shoe list" has them somewhere at 1 or near the top)

I'm a bit later to this but I would just get the Salomons again.
Hiking shoes are always going to be specific to each use but you've already gone something comfortable there. If you wanted something slightly different, I would just get the Salomon XA Pro GTX models since they seem good enough and can handle the country I'm in (very dry, but gets extremely muddy in the wet season). I've tried the Ultras before and didn't notice much of a difference apart from the price. In my opinion, you can't go right with the ankle trade-off Salomon has done with both the shape and the lacing system. Merrels are close here but not quite.

As an aside, if anyone if keen on getting more sturdy boots I am planning to replace my Handwag Tashis. They've been actually just invincible and I've probably done about 300KM of active scrambling on hard rock surface on them with many many more KM of just straight hiking. Really sturdy boots that can get conditioned really easy and feel like they are steel capped when they aren't and can go in snow easy.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I have some Lowa zephyr Hi GTX boots, they have closed loops for laces instead of open ones and I feel it is harder to get the laces tight enough because of that. Does anyone know if a shoemaker (don't know if there is a better word in English for a shoe repair person) could change the eylets easily to open ones?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Sorbus posted:

I have some Lowa zephyr Hi GTX boots, they have closed loops for laces instead of open ones and I feel it is harder to get the laces tight enough because of that. Does anyone know if a shoemaker (don't know if there is a better word in English for a shoe repair person) could change the eylets easily to open ones?

You're looking for a cobbler, and depending on where you live, you might find someone still doing that. You may also try reaching out to Lowa as well, they were able to resole my boots for something like 30ish bucks, which included round trip shipping to Germany.

You may be able to do this yourself, I'm not sure what the open shoelace hook is called, but the round eyelets are grommets and they just punch into place. Just remove the old grommets with some pliers or something, insert the new thing into the hole I would think (though the hole might be too big and that could be an issue).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They mean those style of lacing where there's little hooks on the ankle so you can easily slot laces into them. The boot currently has little loops bolted on.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Googled and apparently the term is speed hook :)

There’s a cobbler’s shop nearby, guess I’ll just ask there for a quote and if it is possible / worth it. The boots don’t feel bad but sometimes I’d like a tighter lacing.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone know what the difference is between small tent vs tent vs large tent on the recreation.gov campsite descriptions?

mystes
May 31, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone know what the difference is between small tent vs tent vs large tent on the recreation.gov campsite descriptions?
Googling it this comes up:
Small tent: A tent that is equal to or less than 12 feet x 12 feet.
Large tent: A tent that is greater than 12 feet x 12 feet.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

mystes posted:

Googling it this comes up:
Small tent: A tent that is equal to or less than 12 feet x 12 feet.
Large tent: A tent that is greater than 12 feet x 12 feet.

I found that, but on the campsites themselves, they list three tent sizes. I've been checking different campsite descriptions. Sometimes, large tent says "over 9x12". Nothing specific next to "tent" and "small tent" though.

I guess since the one I booked says "tent", then I'm good up to 9x12.

mystes
May 31, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I found that, but on the campsites themselves, they list three tent sizes. I've been checking different campsite descriptions. Sometimes, large tent says "over 9x12". Nothing specific next to "tent" and "small tent" though.

I guess since the one I booked says "tent", then I'm good up to 9x12.
Oh I don't know then. It's annoying that it's always this hard to figure this poo poo out on recreation.gov

You probably should just call them and ask honestly

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Well I bought another tent….

A Springbar Family Camper, a huge 10x14 canvas tent for car camping with , my family.

Got the storm fly to go with it. Hoping the bison color blocks out more sunlight and that the storm fly will do the same and keep the heat at bay some. Curious to try a canvas tent in the summer.

Also if anyone is interested in an REI Kingdom 4 cheap let me know…

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why a canvas tent in the year 2024?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Pros and cons to canvas.

They can last forever if you take care of them, unlike synthetic tents which can start to degrade and smell after like 20 years. They breathe better so they aren’t as hot and stuffy. Way safer if you run stoves in them ( which I won’t in this, I have another dedicated hot stove tent), more durable over all I would say.

Cons are they’re heavy as poo poo, take longer to dry out, can’t store them wet or they’ll get moldy, and they cost way more.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Also if anyone is interested in an REI Kingdom 4 cheap let me know…

Maybe? Shoot me a PM.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Pros and cons to canvas.

They can last forever if you take care of them, unlike synthetic tents which can start to degrade and smell after like 20 years. They breathe better so they aren’t as hot and stuffy. Way safer if you run stoves in them ( which I won’t in this, I have another dedicated hot stove tent), more durable over all I would say.

Cons are they’re heavy as poo poo, take longer to dry out, can’t store them wet or they’ll get moldy, and they cost way more.

What kind of wind is it rated for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I love the idea of big canvas tents but don't ever feel like I'm at any given site long enough for the setup/teardown to be worthwhile