Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
LuminAID makes them too; I prefer their style with the diffuser body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Do you mean like the plastic is permanently fogged? 'Cuz if there is one thing about it I would change, that would be it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

God, I hate to keep discussing this topic, but that's not cotton, nor are any of the other desert garb photos posted. Those are typically linen, which is made from flax. Linen is a very loose weave, which is what helps you stay cool. Usually they're also layered with silk, which also has a lot of great thermal, strength, and moisture wicking properties that combine well with the linen to dissipate heat, evaporate moisture, and block the sun.

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a sub $100 tent? They all about the same?

Yup! At that price point they're all essentially the same. It's basically the same Chinese factories sticking a different label on them. Not saying this is bad if you're just looking for a cheap tent, my first tent was a steep and cheap high Sierra or something. I still have it ten years later and loan it out to other people who don't have gear. Mainly you're giving up a bit of durability and weight savings, but nylon is nylon, just a different denier and waterproofing coating. Just make sure you buy a tent with a separate rainfly and ventilation to prevent moisture buildup. In 2017, you should be perfectly fine as the general quality of stuff is way better than ten/fifteen years ago.

Main things not to skimp on are your shoes, pack, and sleeping bag. Any of those fail you're screwed or dead. Your tent? Well, you're going to have a miserable night but you're not gonna die, and you might be able to fix the tent temporarily with duct tape.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Oh, and fyi, anybody wanting an Oru Kayak--the Bay ST is on sale right now at a bunch of different places for 20% off:

Oru Kayak Bay ST at Moosejaw

This is basically their newest version, so it's got better connectors and seat. I'm personally extremely tempted to dig into my savings and pick one up

E: the beach is also on sale!

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 21, 2017

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

God, I hate to keep discussing this topic, but that's not cotton, nor are any of the other desert garb photos posted. Those are typically linen, which is made from flax. Linen is a very loose weave, which is what helps you stay cool. Usually they're also layered with silk, which also has a lot of great thermal, strength, and moisture wicking properties that combine well with the linen to dissipate heat, evaporate moisture, and block the sun.

Generally when we talk about fabrics we're talking about hydrophobic vs hydrophilic. Cotton is by far the most common hydrophilic, so it's the one that is named in the rule of thumb sayings like "never cotton." Flax and other cellulose based fibers are in the same category as cotton. Don't try and out sperg me son

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Maybe you should try dunking each fabric in some water then wear it before you say they are close enough to the same.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I used to have a light guayabera made of linen and it was far cooler then a cotton tshirt, at least for drinking outside in the sun.

But poly is still better for getting redwine stains out :(

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
Guys guys, enough. Let's move on. Here, I'll help, something new: trekking poles are for wussies.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
They are, unless you have one with a little retractable knife tip, like a sword cane for the outdoor nerd.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CopperHound posted:

Maybe you should try dunking each fabric in some water then wear it before you say they are close enough to the same.

Same like wool and synthetic are the same, ya

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Hm lemme put it this way, if we want to keep talking about cotton v/ other stuff let's at least keep it constructive and informative and not snarky or other stuff, k?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
I like well done beans in my trekking poles. It's not a real pole without them.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

If you want to fight about material, you have my blessing to start a thread. Keep it in there.

And as someone who has a hypermobility disorder, hiking poles are my heroes. No shame.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm a proud wuss, which is why I never tip my circumcised trekking poles after they wipe standing up.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Picnic Princess posted:

If you want to fight about material, you have my blessing to start a thread. Keep it in there.

And as someone who has a hypermobility disorder, hiking poles are my heroes. No shame.

:agreed:

I'm just happy that people are getting out and trying to educate a little bit about different materials and such for anyone that's never considered that there's even a difference. Meselfs and Epitope have a fantastic point that people will buy stuff simply because its expensive and marketed a certain way rather than knowing anything about it or what they actually need, eg that the 3$ performance golf polo from goodwill is the same goddamn thing as the 90$ Actyrex shirt from REI

Hiking poles are awesome, especially for rough uphill and downhill! Plus your can really get a good speed boost if you use them correctly and plant them to propel yourself forward. Plus they're awesome for moving briars and poo poo out of your easy on the trail, and feeling out how deep/soft mud and puddles are as you pick your steps in certain places

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I finally did it, I pulled the trigger on an Oru Bay ST from backcountry.com :homebrew:

:rip: financial stability

I'll post updates and pictures once I get a chance to try it out!

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Thoughts on Steri-pen? I noticed it wasn't listed in the OP. I have used one on three continents and haven't had any problems with the water it treats yet. So far it is my favorite water treatment.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Other than weight, why should I not use my packraft as a sleeping pad?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's not insulated, but you should definitely use the raft as a sleeping pad.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

bongwizzard posted:

Other than weight, why should I not use my packraft as a sleeping pad?

That's a really clever idea! Let us know how you like it... would it be lumpy and oddly misshapen with random hard plastic knobs, or does it cover you pretty well?

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Thoughts on Steri-pen? I noticed it wasn't listed in the OP. I have used one on three continents and haven't had any problems with the water it treats yet. So far it is my favorite water treatment.

I've never actually tried it myself, but it seems like a really cool idea. My main concern would obviously be batteries, I hate relying on anything technological that could malfunction, but if you just brought a small bottle of aquamira tablets as backup that'd mitigate that concern entirely. The only other thing to remember is that you probably still want to filter water for sediment, like with a bandana or something, and that it obviously doesn't do anything for filtration, only organic stuff.

Main thing to keep in mind is that no filters really do much for stuff like heavy metals, so you just want to be aware of the water sources in an area before hand. I know in Zaleski State Park here in Ohio, they actually provide potable water cisterns at all the backpacking sites, because the streams and rivers in the area are polluted with yellowboy, which is acidic mining runoff. Never ever ever drink from a yellow tinted water source, nomatter what kind of filter or treatment you have.

I don't know how much of an impact this has had so far, but my new concern is Fracking... has anyone ever heard of there being any backcountry water issues related to fracking?

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 22, 2017

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Cheesemaster200 posted:

This might be a personal thing but I've never understood the draw to Steripens. Steripens seem like a nice choice for a day hike or something where you don't want to carry a lot of water and just filter as you go especially if you know the sources run clear. You will still have to likely use a rag or something to filter out the particulates and floaties. For long term use in the backcountry, I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on something that requires batteries to work when there are manual options that don't.

Pros
  • Simple to use
  • All in one system
  • Fast? 32oz in a minute and a half

Cons
  • Requires batteries
  • Costs equivalent or more than alternative options
  • doesn't remove particulates or debris (floaties)
  • doesn't enhance the flavor of the water
  • doesn't well or at all in cloudy water
  • isn't an ideal solution for group use
  • doesn't filter as quickly as other options (steripen- 1L @ 90seconds) (pump filters often 1L @60 seconds) (gravity filters - often 1.5L @60 seconds.)
  • if it stops functioning, you can't fix it on the trail

For every aspect of the Steripen, I think there is a better option available
Size - go with chemical treatment, or inline filter
Weight - go with chemical treatment, inline filter, or gravity system
Purity of water - most decent filters are great options.
Ease of use - chemical or gravity system
Cost - chemical, inline or gravity system
Group use (filtering lots of water) - gravity or pump system
speed of filtration - gravity or pump system

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

That's a really clever idea! Let us know how you like it... would it be lumpy and oddly misshapen with random hard plastic knobs, or does it cover you pretty well?

I don't really know, when I finally dragged them out to try inflating I layed on it for a second and was pretty comfortable. It was weeks later when I thought about using it as a pad. Was thinking about trip planning for the summer and musing about how to cut bulk from my pack and the idea came to me. I don't currently even own a tent and I am sure it will not fit in my hammock. I will pump it up again and try to take a nap.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Biggest problem I found with the steripen is that they're basically designed to work with wide mouth nalgeen bottles and they're difficult to use with anything else (because you have to be able to get more than just the long thin light submerged, you need to get the other light up near the base submerged as well). Can't treat more than 1 liter at a time easily

but generally for mountain water that's cold and clear they work fine. I'm still more of a chemical treatment w/ aqua mira person. As long as the water is clear I personally don't really see the point of using a filter but that's mainly for my own personal experience in the mountains

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Levitate posted:

but generally for mountain water that's cold and clear they work fine. I'm still more of a chemical treatment w/ aqua mira person. As long as the water is clear I personally don't really see the point of using a filter but that's mainly for my own personal experience in the mountains

Same here. I'm so close to glaciers that the water is just silty with glacial flour. I've never used anything but AquaTabs. I just use a double dose because the water is usually only a couple degrees above freezing and I don't want to wait 2 hours for my water to be ready. I do bring 2 bottles per person anyway so I can have water at all times.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

I tried a steripen and like the above posters found it didn't really have a clear niche. In the mountains, or anywhere else that has reasonably clear water, chlorine dioxide tablets are lighter, simpler, work reasonably fast, fit through any bottle, and there is no worrying about having to keep batteries warm in cold weather.

When in the not-mountains, there's often enough sediment and gunk that you'll want some kind of prefilter in conjunction with the steripen (Just using a rag or cloth hasn't worked all that well for me in water that's actually grody enough for me to care), and at that point you may as well just use a sawyer squeeze or similar system and forego the steripen altogether.

For me, the only real advantage I could see with the steripen was that it let me treat and drink clear mountain water without making it taste weird the way chemical treatment does. But for me that didn't justify the added cost, weight and hassle vs chemical treatment.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have a Lifestraw and a Katadyn Hiker Pro I think. I've never had a chance to use them. Ask me about the horrors of having to use well water at the camp.

Actually don't. I lived on well water most of my life.

I need to go backpacking.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I'm "backpacking" next Saturday! The campsite is only 2km from the road so it's considered backcountry. But that means we're shopping for a new tent, because our MEC Tarn 3 has a torn fly, bent poles, and broken zipper. The last few car camping trips were interesting to say the least. The poles actually bent in Canyonlands during really intense sustained winds over 3 nights. So at least the story behind that is interesting.

Has anyone ever used:

North Face Talus
MSR Elixer
Mountain Hardwear Optics
MEC Volt
Marmot Catalyst
Marmot Tungsten

I'm comparing them but I can't quite make a decision. I'm also assuming very few people know of the Volt because it's Canadian. But it's lighter and more spacious than all the others and that's a pretty big bonus to me.

Edit: Changed my options after more research

Edit2: I made a Facebook post about compiling a spreadsheet with spec info to compare everything and now one of my friends is posting Kijiji ads for 6 person Coleman tents :laffo:

SulfurMonoxideCute fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 27, 2017

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm "backpacking" next Saturday! The campsite is only 2km from the road so it's considered backcountry. But that means we're shopping for a new tent, because our MEC Tarn 3 has a torn fly, bent poles, and broken zipper. The last few car camping trips were interesting to say the least. The poles actually bent in Canyonlands during really intense sustained winds over 3 nights. So at least the story behind that is interesting.

Has anyone ever used:

North Face Talus
MSR Elixer
Mountain Hardwear Optics
MEC Volt
Marmot Catalyst
Marmot Tungsten

I'm comparing them but I can't quite make a decision. I'm also assuming very few people know of the Volt because it's Canadian. But it's lighter and more spacious than all the others and that's a pretty big bonus to me.

Edit: Changed my options after more research

Edit2: I made a Facebook post about compiling a spreadsheet with spec info to compare everything and now one of my friends is posting Kijiji ads for 6 person Coleman tents :laffo:

MSR Elixer - p good, a bit lighter but not super light, nice tent

Mountain Hardwear Optics - i use the 3.5 for 1-2 person walk-in tenting, good tent, nice and roomy, feels airy and open

MEC Volt - comparable to MSE elixer, cheaper backpacking tent

my main is a big agnes fly creek UL3, which is as good as it gets for summer IMO, MH ghost UL3 is also v nice

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Does anyone have swamp camping advice? The trick is outfitting for hot, wet, HUMID conditions. A hundred degrees ain't nothing when it's breezy and dry and evaporation is a thing that happens, but 90°/90℅ is miserable. And that will be in October sometimes. Does anyone have suggestions for surviving a florida expidition without getting malaria (besides 'go in winter')?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Landsknecht posted:

MSR Elixer - p good, a bit lighter but not super light, nice tent

Mountain Hardwear Optics - i use the 3.5 for 1-2 person walk-in tenting, good tent, nice and roomy, feels airy and open

MEC Volt - comparable to MSE elixer, cheaper backpacking tent

my main is a big agnes fly creek UL3, which is as good as it gets for summer IMO, MH ghost UL3 is also v nice

Where I am, the Volt is almost $100 more than the Elixer at the same store.

We are leaning towards the Elixer, it has a lot of features that suit our style. Optic 3.5 is our second choice.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

Does anyone have swamp camping advice? The trick is outfitting for hot, wet, HUMID conditions. A hundred degrees ain't nothing when it's breezy and dry and evaporation is a thing that happens, but 90°/90℅ is miserable. And that will be in October sometimes. Does anyone have suggestions for surviving a florida expidition without getting malaria (besides 'go in winter')?

Bring a small package of baby wipes for your rear end and genitals. Bring a big bottle of gold bond powder for the same.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Picnic Princess posted:

Where I am, the Volt is almost $100 more than the Elixer at the same store.

We are leaning towards the Elixer, it has a lot of features that suit our style. Optic 3.5 is our second choice.

i like the optik 3.5 because of the roominess and door configuration, although personally it's a bit heavier than I'd use for backpacking

you can sometimes get them for like $200 CAD when atmosphere does a sale

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I've got the optic vue 2.5, and it fits my wife, our small dog and myself very well. There's plenty of room, but it IS a tad on the heavy side for a two person backpacking tent.
Car camping? It's great for that. Good quality and pretty cheap, sounds good to me.
I would like it if it was capable of pitching fly first incase of rain, but that's impossible without doing some modifications I suppose.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Speleothing posted:

LuminAID makes them too; I prefer their style with the diffuser body.

These are great, they made the original product to sell and donate to disaster relief, I guess flashlights were often the only light source sent by a lot of relief groups and then people with no resources or roads ran out of batteries, lamp oil etc and they made a pretty big name for themselves. I think it's two college grads from Boston if I recall.

Then they sold the flashing colors edition for people drunk at pool parties, tried one more attempt to improve the battery and solar panel, and I just checked amazon and now they have a sturdier bigger looking "max" edition, 30 bucks and it's USB chargeable. Obviously stupid if you're focusing on survival, but I gotta admit I like it and think I'll buy one.

I've used mine zero times to survive the end of the world and fifty times to read at night, so being able to charge it more often and during cloudy months still makes it a pretty cool dim to bright lamp that happens to float and have an emergency blinker. I'll post if it I buy it, given my experience with the older lamp I would guess it's perfect for hybrid campers/casuals, probably not great survival gear unless you live in a sunny state.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That LuminAid one looks cool too. Also seems to be solar as well as USB chargeable. I was impatient and got the Luci Outdoor 2.0 immediately and it's pretty neat. I think I see the reason for the shade. When this think is inflated it's completely clear so it throws out refracted light in weird directions. I would imagine the shaded one takes care of that problem, however it probably just isn't as bright.

I wanna buy more poo poo. I'm going to get two of those inflatable kayaks and another PFD. I'll try to hold back but I love buying stuff I don't need and I can pull some mental gymnastics to convince myself that I'll need it. :downs:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That LuminAid one looks cool too. Also seems to be solar as well as USB chargeable. I was impatient and got the Luci Outdoor 2.0 immediately and it's pretty neat. I think I see the reason for the shade. When this think is inflated it's completely clear so it throws out refracted light in weird directions. I would imagine the shaded one takes care of that problem, however it probably just isn't as bright.

I wanna buy more poo poo. I'm going to get two of those inflatable kayaks and another PFD. I'll try to hold back but I love buying stuff I don't need and I can pull some mental gymnastics to convince myself that I'll need it. :downs:

Do you have a Mora knife yet? If you enjoy buying things and do not yet own a Mora knife, it is time. I have not had a chance to try out the eldris or the other little knives with lanyard things, but it's Mora so the only way it wouldn't be worth a buy is if the length or thickness of the blade don't suit whatever you need it for

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

extra stout posted:

Do you have a Mora knife yet? If you enjoy buying things and do not yet own a Mora knife, it is time. I have not had a chance to try out the eldris or the other little knives with lanyard things, but it's Mora so the only way it wouldn't be worth a buy is if the length or thickness of the blade don't suit whatever you need it for

I have not. I know I've heard that name before and they are pretty freaking cheap on Amazon. Any recommendations?

This Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Was the first to pull up on Amazon. The reviews are insanely good.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The knives are decent but the sheaths are hot garbage.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Late replies, but:

Car camping light? Propane all the way. SUPER bright and will light up your area no problem. Propane can be bought cheap on sale. I love my century light. Battery powered. or solar powered, lights for car camping sucks, especially when you are trying to cook.

Backpacking light? Headlamp only. I have a Petzl Tikka XP that I love to death. Great battery life, but make sure you pack some extras just in case. I usually carry a smaller torch with me just in case as well. Usually Fenix. I try to stay standard sizes such as AA or AAA lights, but I know that CR123a lights such as a streamlight are fantastic and those batteries don't leak if left in the torch.

Steripen: I've never been a fan of them because when I worked at REI, we got a LOT returned from people getting sick. You do have to have almost crystal clear water to ensure that the light can hit all of bacteria, so you might as well filter somehow to ensure that. Even then, I don't take chances when it comes to water, and even though its wasteful, I usually filter using my MSR Miniworks EX, then boil. Sounds like a lot, and it is, but worth it with that kind of peace of mind.

Also, gently caress the haters, I always use hiking poles. I don't care if I look like a loving grandpa at 35 while using them, I'm saving my knees and ankles because I'm getting another stability point.

Also, Mora 2000, bushcraft knife is a great starter and very affordable. It's not full tang, but will work well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I thought Steripens were more for like "I don't trust this tap water" and less for like outdoors stuff?