Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Even when I was living off the grid in Belize I wore the same thing every day and only did my laundry once a week by tossing my clothes in a bucket of well water with a drop of shampoo and agitating it with my foot for a few minutes. I'm sure I stunk but everyone else did the same thing and they probably did too, our noses probably just tuned out the stench. In certain situations you just kind of let things slide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Greatest bushwalking shoes I've ever used. But given the fact that my entire continent is basically flat and the need for ankle protection non-existent, having light shoes that you don't need to take off every time you hit a creek is great. Combine that with the fact that they're about the cheapest shoes you can buy it was a no brainer.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
You can totally do your laundry in a bucket. Socks, undies, and t-shirts are easiest to do. Pants and outerwear are a pain. If you don't have a bucket, make one with a hole in the ground and a tarp. A light (very light, or you will be rinsing forever) scrub with whatever bar soap you got, jooj everything in your laundry bucket, then dump (not directly into the water source). Fill again, rinse cycle. Dump and fill again, second rinse cycle. All the soap and a majority of the dirt and body smells will be gone if you used a light touch on the soap. The un-fun part is wringing and drying. Wring out as much water as possible by twisting and flapping, which takes awhile, then hang in a sunny, breezy place to dry. Depending on the ambient humidity and how well you wrung out, this can take minutes, or all drat day.

Black and brown underclothes are best because they dry quicker in the sun and show stains much less easy.

Fresh blood stains on underthings can be easily treated by soaking in plain cool or cold water for several minutes, then rinsed and wrung out.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 24, 2017

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

You're in OC right? I was looking in Idlywild but most sites were full up. We ended up at Heart Bar Campground, near Big Bear. Real nice spot, had a rad meadow just behind us. Closest trails were closed due to fire though.

Yeah, I think camping in Big Bear would be great, but my in-laws have a house there, so the feeling of "I could be in a real bed and using a real toilet" is pretty big.

I was looking at Dripping Springs campground outside of Temecula, or maybe somewhere around Mt. San Jacinto. Anza-Borrego sounds too hot this time of year, but I'm not sure.

Private campgrounds seem to be mostly available even on short notice. Any tips for state/national parks? Book 6 months in advance, I imagine?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Idyllwild is near Mt. San Jacinto and supposed to have some of the nicer campgrounds around. The reservations spots fill up fast for weekends but if you're doing weekday camping you can get spots pretty easily it seems.
I really liked Indian Cove campground just outside of Joshua Tree too.

I'm just starting my camping life now that my kids are old enough so I don't have much advice to give, unfortunately.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

CopperHound posted:

What do backpackers do about washing clothes? I'm assuming it is bad form to wash in/near a fresh water source, but I can't recall ever seeing any sort of wash basin on gear lists.

E: I'm picturing someone washing one sock at a time in their jetboil.

Most backpackers don't wash their clothes and you wear the same stuff more or less the entire time. The only duplicate items I bring along are socks and underwear. I bring 2 pairs of socks to hike in during the day and 1 pair of socks to keep clean and sleep in at night. I bring 2 pair of underwear and alternate each day. At the end of a day, especially if the weather is nice, I'll wash a pair of socks and underwear to have a clean pair if I need them. If its raining out, your laundry will likely not dry so its not really even of any use to try doing laundry.

Just soaking them in water is usually good enough to feel cleaner than before but if you need something more, here's my laundry method.

Use a nylon stuff sack, mine is a 10-12 liter which holds all my clothes and stuff I want to keep dry.

Fill it with water and bring it back to camp. Insert a drop of soap into the water along with the clothes. Agitate enough to get the clothes soaked, soapy and knock some dirt loose. Remove the clothes, hang on a laundry line and then dump the soapy water out spreading it over a wide area of land. DONT put dirty soap water back into the water source. Soap of any kind isn't good to put into the water, especially if people are using it for drinking.

Fill the stuff sack up with clean water and then rinse the soap out of your clothes.

Hang dry and enjoy your clean clothes.

Verman fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 16, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

CopperHound posted:

What do backpackers do about washing clothes? I'm assuming it is bad form to wash in/near a fresh water source, but I can't recall ever seeing any sort of wash basin on gear lists.

E: I'm picturing someone washing one sock at a time in their jetboil.

I mean I do sometimes just rinse stuff out in a lake if we're just talking dust and sweat. I don't use soap or anything. I have been considering trying to be nicer about that and just using the water from my 3 liter camp platy to do the washing instead, but since I often try to go swimming in the lakes as well it's not like I'm saving everyone from some of my sweat getting into the water...

re: trail runners, I've been just fine with them doing cross country stuff in the Sierras as well. Just depends on what you like/how your body works with your shoes (I've found I don't really need ankle support) and probably how much weight you're carrying.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

FogHelmut posted:

Private campgrounds seem to be mostly available even on short notice. Any tips for state/national parks? Book 6 months in advance, I imagine?

Definitely. We go to Sequoia every Labor Day (admittedly a popular weekend for booking) and we book our site within minutes of it opening up online ~6 months ahead of time.

For local SoCal camping, you should consider heading up to LA then taking the 2 North up the Angeles Crest Highway into the Angeles National Forest/San Gabriel National Monument.

None of the campgrounds have reservations so they are all first-come. Most weekends you can find a spot if you get up there early on Saturday, but it's safer if you go Friday night.

Wife and I prefer Chilao Campground or Buckhorn (fills up more quickly than Chilao). Horse Flats is good too but there is no water so bring plenty with you.

I have a friend that lives in Murrieta and likes to camp at Palomar Mountain as well.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 16, 2017

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

khysanth posted:

Definitely. We go to Sequoia every Labor Day (admittedly a popular weekend for booking) and we book our site within minutes of it opening up online ~6 months ahead of time.

For local SoCal camping, you should consider heading up to LA then taking the 2 North up the Angeles Crest Highway into the Angeles National Forest/San Gabriel National Monument.

None of the campgrounds have reservations so they are all first-come. Most weekends you can find a spot if you get up there early on Saturday, but it's safer if you go Friday night.

Wife and I prefer Chilao Campground or Buckhorn (fills up more quickly than Chilao). Horse Flats is good too but there is no water so bring plenty with you.

I have a friend that lives in Murrieta and likes to camp at Palomar Mountain as well.

That first come -first serve sounds scary when you're driving 2.5+ hours to get there.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Some parks are easier to get into than others. I've been able to get campsites at Lassen Volcanic National Park in the middle of August just a couple weeks in advance, for example, but that's a long drive from OC.

FogHelmet, depending on how long you are willing to drive, there is a lot of in eastern Sierra Nevada accessible along I-395, and it's about as far from your as Sequoia NP (3.5 - 5.5 hours depending on how far north you go on I-395).

SoCal traffic on Fridays is such bullshit that, relatively speaking, the distance you drive almost doesn't matter since 99% of your time will be spent escaping LA's event horizon.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I have to patch a hole in the mesh of my tent. Best to apply patch inside, outside, or both? I got extras.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Just about every campground is going to have some kind of weekday availability even at the height of the season. Weekends, especially popular ones, you need to be making reservations. For big weekends like Memorial Independance Labor Day, you need reservations 3 months out.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Morbus posted:

Some parks are easier to get into than others. I've been able to get campsites at Lassen Volcanic National Park in the middle of August just a couple weeks in advance, for example, but that's a long drive from OC.

FogHelmet, depending on how long you are willing to drive, there is a lot of in eastern Sierra Nevada accessible along I-395, and it's about as far from your as Sequoia NP (3.5 - 5.5 hours depending on how far north you go on I-395).

SoCal traffic on Fridays is such bullshit that, relatively speaking, the distance you drive almost doesn't matter since 99% of your time will be spent escaping LA's event horizon.

Please don't ask me about my 11 hour drive to Mammoth earlier this year.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Were you on a bicycle?

(I know your pain, I spent 6 hours getting from LAX to I-15 once on a trip to Death Valley because I was a genius and decided to make that drive Friday evening on Valentine's Day weekend)

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Morbus posted:

My girlfriend just got through 3 days of scrambling in north wales in complete poo poo weather using $8 superlight rain pants she got on ebay. She stayed as dry as the rest of us who were using expensive foofoo pantaloons.

What kind of weather are you expecting and what will you be doing? Spending $300-600 on arcteryx hardshell pants would be exceptionally poo poo value if all you need are all-day waterproof pants for rain/snow while hiking/backpacking.

glaciated mountaineering

I went with the alpha AR pant, it's p good, sadly doesnt have full sidezips, but was fine while I used it the past weekend

on days that are like 0c and blowy weather I'll just wear them all day and undo the sides if I get a bit warm (when it's -10c at the summit in July I'm generally happy in hardshell stuff)

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Chard posted:

I have to patch a hole in the mesh of my tent. Best to apply patch inside, outside, or both? I got extras.

If it's mesh, it shouldn't make a difference which side you apply the patch. Are you sewing the patch on there, or is it an adhesive?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

https://smile.amazon.com/s/browse/r...BGCGCSRD3KWX845

deal of day is some stuff

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
A while ago I ordered a toaks 850 ml mug in titanium to replace an older bulkier heavy pot/handle combo. It's surprisingly light and an added bonus was that my stove, burner and windshield all fit inside it! I'm pretty stoked

Forgive the low quality cell phone pics shot in my dimly lit storage slash workshop:

The whole stove, burner and pot set up is way less bulky now! I'm pretty happy with it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
If you shove some of your gear up your rear end it's technically not pack weight. Good way to shed some ounces.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
But where will I keep my watch then?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Tsyni posted:

If you shove some of your gear up your rear end it's technically not pack weight. Good way to shed some ounces.

Bro, I think we already talked about how to carry weed with you while hiking.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
Mixed feelings about Toaks. It's cheap but the sandblasted finish absorbs yucky things and stinks. I polished mine on a lathe, but it was a lot of effort. No idea if other brands are better.

Tsyni posted:

But how then would I show off my gear and act all holier than thou? Oh, right, gay

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sleeping bags for car camping with an air mattress?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

Sleeping bags for car camping with an air mattress?
As in an inflatable twin/queen size thing? Bring your duvet from home.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Is that a question or gear recommendation request?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Its a question - like should I bother? Is there any advantage over bedding I already have since I'll be using an inflatable bed.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

FogHelmut posted:

Its a question - like should I bother? Is there any advantage over bedding I already have since I'll be using an inflatable bed.

Nah, not on a nice summer or fall night. If it's going to around freezing, yeah, you'll definitely want a good mummy bag and something that'll insulate your backside better than an air mattress, but for car camping, just grab your air mattress, some old sheets and pillows, and a blanket from home

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
For car camping you can literally bring whatever you want so long as the weather is decent.

Its all dependent on the weather and temps. If its typical summer weather (warm and dry) and the lowest it would get would be in the 50s/60s, I would just bring regular sheets/bedding. If its going to get any colder than that I would bring sleeping bags as they're more effective keeping you warm at night. The other thing is that if its raining or humid, cotton sheets will feel damp. You can also always lay on top of the sleeping bags if its warm and not close them. Maybe bring a sheet if its really warm.

I prefer to sleep in colder weather and I can tolerate much lower temps, but my wife would freeze at the same temps so plan accordingly.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
My third prolite thermarest has failed in the past 2.5 years, all at the same weak spot, with the valve starting to leak and then get worse until 3-4 hours in it becomes flaccid.

REI rep said the REI branded stuff has at least not been a manufacturing problem. It may not matter for you weekend warrior types, but for 120 dollars I'd think cascade would do a better job of QC

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

thatguy posted:

My third prolite thermarest has failed in the past 2.5 years, all at the same weak spot, with the valve starting to leak and then get worse until 3-4 hours in it becomes flaccid.

REI rep said the REI branded stuff has at least not been a manufacturing problem. It may not matter for you weekend warrior types, but for 120 dollars I'd think cascade would do a better job of QC

drat... That blows (no pun intended)

Were you able to get any warranty replacement on those? That seems like such a lovely lifespan

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

thatguy posted:

Cascade designs should stand by their poo poo if you keep getting a leak in the same spot. If you got the mattress from REI, just return to them. If you got it from somewhere else, try to contact CD directly and get them to fix the problem.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Double post.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
This feels like a dumb question but what do y'all wear for day hikes w/ some light scrambling in the god forsaken 90+ temps? Shorts+long socks? Pants? Fancy skin tight leggings for mobility? I live in lyme disease country and need to get some new gear because it's been a long time since I lived anywhere close to spots for day hiking.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Master Stur posted:

This feels like a dumb question but what do y'all wear for day hikes w/ some light scrambling in the god forsaken 90+ temps? Shorts+long socks? Pants? Fancy skin tight leggings for mobility? I live in lyme disease country and need to get some new gear because it's been a long time since I lived anywhere close to spots for day hiking.

In my youth, I was a paintball referee at a field in the NJ Pine Barrens. Eight hours a day in the woods and brush - never got one tick. I wore shorts and a t-shirt and certainly unhealthy amounts of DEET based insect repellent.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Master Stur posted:

I always wear my prana stretch zions regardless of weather. They keep cool just fine and I can see ticks on them really easily.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

FogHelmut posted:

In my youth, I was a paintball referee at a field in the NJ Pine Barrens. Eight hours a day in the woods and brush - never got one tick. I wore shorts and a t-shirt and certainly unhealthy amounts of DEET based insect repellent.

That's what I've been doing but ended up picking a few off me yesterday and the tick population is supposedly really bad this year in PA. Friend of mine was hospitalized over it but I think that had a bit more to do with some unrelated factors :shrug:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

bonds0097 posted:

I always wear my prana stretch zions regardless of weather. They keep cool just fine and I can see ticks on them really easily.

Yeah, this is my thought as well.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Thanks those pants look like exactly what I was looking for

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Master Stur posted:

I wear the shortest shorts I could find for sale, and either boots or trail runners depending on where I am going. If I know I'm going to be hiking through high grass I wear long socks pulled up, otherwise, and especially with the trail runners, I just wear a little ankle high lightweight ones.

I use a picardian based spray and treat my booty shorts with permethrin. I live in central Maryland so I am also in the thick of Lyme disease country. I have accepted it as an inevitability at this point and just plan on starting to get myself tested every six months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Ticks are only a major issue here in spring so during the blasted heat of the summer I tend to wear light shorts and bring pants in case the weather turns. Having been in hot sun one moment then a blizzard a couple hours later in July I always bring layers on anything more than a half-day hike.