Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
I know most/a lot of you guys camp in very cold conditions, but they're not really the norm around here. Coldest I've ever got in my country (Brazil) was around 5ºC, camping in winter, while coldest in Patagonia was around -6ºC (no idea about windchill thought that's some crazy wind down there I'll tell you). That said, what's you guys opinion on using butane/propane stoves? I've seen talks about using liquid flamables but not anything about using gas (as in gaseous, not gasoline). They are very common around here and everywhere I've hiked in Patagonia they where the majority of stoves found. Any reasons I should think about switching up? I have a small stove that just attachs to the top of the cartridge, weights around 100g, and a 250g cartridge will easily be enough for one person cooking/boiling for 5 or 6 days on around 0ºC temperatures, and the flame is very stable and resistant to strong winds.

Edit: Altitude also doesn't tend to be a problem, South of the Andes (my prefered area) is quite low, camping is at most at 2000m. You can really only go higher if you go north and then the weather just changes a lot.

I'll also get this out of my system since I don't get a lot of people around here to talk about this poo poo (everyone says I'm insane from doing some pretty mundane treks): Osprey backpacks are awesome. I've had an Osprey Aether for some five years already and really, that thing is insanely confortable, light, has all the accesses and external thingamajing you could want, fits like a glove and is so resistant it feels like it's made of unobtanium.

Primo Itch fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU