Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ASSTASTIC posted:

Also gently caress the haters, chacos + socks are the perfect camp shoe combination.

Camp fashion is very important. Half of everything is looking good. Right foot: red croc, american flag sock. Left foot: blue croc, rainbow sock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Barefoot, the true way of the hiking master. How many grams are we wasting on boots and socks? Shameful

Lest you think I be joking https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cody_Lundin

Epitope fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 25, 2017

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

I... Can't tell if you're trolling?

Either way, you are the only person I've ever met that thinks this. It's not even a point of contention.

E: Have science! :science:

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ASSTASTIC posted:

Never cotton when you are hiking. You can have a bandana, but don't gently caress around with that poo poo because it will cool your body down FAST if its raining or you slip and fall crossing a creek or something. It also takes FOREVER to dry.

Clothing is really environment dependent and if you are in a arid, dry area, cotton might be good, but even then, how many people go hiking in the desert? Dress for your environment, but there are a lot better options than cotton.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if you're talking to me, so if not disregard
My backyard is similar, and if it's bluebird and 70F you might find me pretty far out in nothing but a small amount of cotton. Yes if I do a knee and can't make it back it could be serious, but choosing comfortable clothing is no more of a risk than many other backcountry choices we make. "Never cotton" is a fine rule of thumb, but I think we should be allowed to point out the exceptions.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
While we are ranting, I spent $$$$ this season to buy lighter versions of things I already had. Are they more fun? No, but capitalism has convinced everyone else we need them, so if you don't follow suit you get left behind :(

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

This really isn't the thread to rant about how you feel capitalism is forcing everyone to buy new poo poo they don't need. Make another thread if you want that discussion. Tired of people acting like dicks about stupid poo poo like this.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802060

Come shout into the wind with me, thatguy.

Also while i'm at it, post in the conservation thread too. (thanks others for the excellent posts in there)

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

God, I hate to keep discussing this topic, but that's not cotton, nor are any of the other desert garb photos posted. Those are typically linen, which is made from flax. Linen is a very loose weave, which is what helps you stay cool. Usually they're also layered with silk, which also has a lot of great thermal, strength, and moisture wicking properties that combine well with the linen to dissipate heat, evaporate moisture, and block the sun.

Generally when we talk about fabrics we're talking about hydrophobic vs hydrophilic. Cotton is by far the most common hydrophilic, so it's the one that is named in the rule of thumb sayings like "never cotton." Flax and other cellulose based fibers are in the same category as cotton. Don't try and out sperg me son

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CopperHound posted:

Maybe you should try dunking each fabric in some water then wear it before you say they are close enough to the same.

Same like wool and synthetic are the same, ya

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's not insulated, but you should definitely use the raft as a sleeping pad.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Morbus posted:

My girlfriend just got through 3 days of scrambling in north wales in complete poo poo weather using $8 superlight rain pants she got on ebay. She stayed as dry as the rest of us who were using expensive foofoo pantaloons.

What kind of weather are you expecting and what will you be doing? Spending $300-600 on arcteryx hardshell pants would be exceptionally poo poo value if all you need are all-day waterproof pants for rain/snow while hiking/backpacking.

This is my experience as well, and I don't think I'll ever go foo foo pants since 1) legs get less direct water and 2) pants regularly get shredded by glissading/bushwhackin/crampons/ice ax/bike chain

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's a couple who do giant outings, like 1000s of miles. They found out the hard way about burning up all the fat reserves. Their food page is legit

http://www.aktrekking.com/food.html

Using up all your glycogen? You're a sprinter. Using up all your fat is the true long distance

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

Honestly don't mean to be cranky

I think raging against the consumerism machine makes people think we're raging at them. Branding tells us our consumer choices define our identity, so ragging on mountain house feels bad to the mountain house eater. It's another bummer of the commodification of going outside

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Freaquency posted:

Posting camping dogs itt:

Camp doggo

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CopperHound posted:

Okay. But I have to dig up pics that are a old for sad reasons:

Remember friends, your dog won't tell you when they are getting tired and you can probably hike further than they can despite how energetic they seem.

Same, but we just got back from looking at puppies. New camp pooch soon we hope

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Foam mat supremacy. More durable, easier, faster, lighter, cheaper.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Also if you do want to take a butane canister stove to lower temps google around for how to setup a copper ferring strip from the canister to the burner. Basically when lit the stove helps warm the fuel. It definitely helps extend a butane stove out a little further into the season but I still wouldnt use it much past 20F.

Butane canisters can be used well below that. Put the canister in a dish of liquid water. Add more water from the pot as it starts to freeze. Requires carrying a dish, and not drinking the last drop before you brew again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you want to use the bladder for sugar drink, store it in the freezer