Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Casu Marzu posted:

I have an Osprey Manta 24 and it's great. It's a bit bulkier, but the hip belt on it is super comfortable and carries weight really nice.

Osprey chat.

I am glad to hear people like the Osprey packs with the tensioned mesh back. The wife and I have been doing a lot of day hikes in the 5 to 15 mile range using just the crappy packs we have randomly collected over the years. SoCal has been pretty hot this year, and the advertised cooling effect of these packs is attractive.

She just got a Sirrus 36 and I have a Manta 34 on order. The reason, we have a 4 day trans Catalina coming up. Because we are old and have no camping equipment, we are using a gear haul service. So it is effectively 4 day hikes totaling 38 miles where we only carry what we need to make it from point to point.

She her pack for the first time yesterday on a 5 miler, 1k vert, with 2L of water and a bunch of random clothes stuffed inside. She likes it so far. We have about 20 miles planned for the weekend, hopefully mine comes in soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
OK, I have not looked through the entire thread since I am a bit new to it. I know the answer is probably yes, but do I need a knife and if so, what should I get without looking like a complete psycho?

At my work we have a confiscated OKC 499 that is really dull. I was thinking of just claiming it as my own for now.

As with bikes, are my choices cheap, durable and light? Pick 2.

Thanks.

Cat Ass Trophy fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 8, 2021

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Xth-ing the Morakniv.

Thanks knife goons. I ended up getting the Morakniv Bushcraft knife. So far I have used it as a striker to build a test fire, and to cut up some Freshpet dog food for the hound. Hopefully it will be useful on the trail.

I got a Companion for my wife. She just rolled her eyes and asked "Why the gently caress do I need this?" But after handling it and learning the cost was only $20 even she was impressed.

Here's to hoping I don't cut my hand open messing around with it.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

incogneato posted:

I got my very first knife (a small swiss army) for my 10th birthday. Literally the first thing I did, still sitting on the sofa surrounded by family telling me to be careful, was flip it open straight into my thumb. Pretty deep, and a lot of blood.

It was almost exactly that A Christmas Story scene, but with a blade instead of a bb gun. I can still see the scar in my thumbprint decades later.

Nearly the same. I was in 5th grade and got a Cub Scout blue Swiss Army knife for my 10th birthday. This was the late 70's so you could still bring a knife to school without the staff even blinking an eye. So naturally I was loving around with it in class on birthday +1 day, and cut my index finger to the bone. For a split second I felt no pain and there was no visible cut. Then the blood began to flow. All over the place. To her credit the teacher just looked at me and said "Cat rear end, just go to the school nurse and don't make a mess of things."

I did not want my parents to find out about my dumbassery. A trip to the nurses office always meant a call home. So I stopped by the art supply closet and just taped the would shut with some colored electrical tape.

Only within the past decade has the scar faded away. So I will remain wary about using my knew knife in a responsible manner.

I also bought a compass. I don't think I can hurt myself with that.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

heffray posted:

Trans Catalina is great, and if your itinerary allows I'd recommend taking the extra 9 miles (round trip) to Starlight Beach. Also, pizza from the convenience store in Two Harbors is at least as good as anything from the restaurant.

Trans Catalina ending up being a lot of fun. Mrs. rear end Trophy used her new Morakniv quite a bit and really liked it. The Osprey packs (Manta 34 and Sirrus 36) were both very comfortable. We had maybe 15 pounds in mine on the heaviest day, hers a little less. Half the weight was water, just to be safe.

Next on our list, tent, bags, "kitchen", and we will try an overnight carrying our own gear based on some of the recommendations in here.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
Since our 4 day hike with a gear haul service went so well, we have decided to go all in and start acquiring our own items that we can pack ourselves. This Christmas, when people ask what I want, I actually will have a list instead of my standard "I don't care." We will rent out some larger packs, sleeping bags and a tent for our first overnight. Hopefully we will have the rest of what we need purchased by then. Going to test it all on a 2 day/1 night on the Ohlone Trail in the East Bay. If all goes well we will purchase the packs, bags and tent some time after this.

On a related gear note, does anyone remember this book?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/754698...63013233dbd5d1d

I used to stare at it endlessly, especially the pages with the visual packing list. I am pretty sure my grandparents bought the series of books for me, so I would have been 8 years old back the. I always figured I would get into hiking/camping, but I was delayed for 40 years due to being bitten by the bike racing bug.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
With the exception of the big 3, Mrs. rear end Trophy and I pretty much have all the gear we need for our overnighter into the Cleveland National Forest. The plan was to rent a tent, 2 sleeping bags/pads and a larger pack for me. Her Osprey 36L can handle a bag and has external straps for a pad. I'd be hauling the kitchen and the tent.

But we went up to my parents' house and found this:
https://www.geartrade.com/item/514305/north-face-renegade-pack

My brother used it to sleaze around Europe after college in 1999. From what I can gather, it retailed for $400 and was a pretty decent pack in the day. Does seem a bit heavy, but the internal rubberized waterproofing looks to be in good condition. The thing is huge. Something like 86L. And it comes with a detachable lid that converts into a stylish fannypack, or whatever they were called back then.

Hopefully I won't overload it and kill myself. I still plan to buy something modern if this backpacking thing proves to be enjoyable.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I hope everyone got some nice swag for Christmas. I am new to backpacking, and I am still acquiring gear, so it was easy to make a list this year. Usually I just tell people I want to be left alone. Don't look at me, don't think about me, just let me go ride my bike. The wife's family loves to have "The Orgy of Presents" Christmas morning and they were very surprised and happy to get an actual list from me.

That said, I just went out and got my own poop shovel. It did not feet right asking someone to buy that for me. Some thing you just have to do yourself.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I tested out the Windburner combo I got for Christmas along with the Snow Peak bowls, plates and utensils. Mac and cheese in the pot, scrambled eggs in the skillet.

For some one who has never been a backpacker for my first 52 years, it was a pretty exciting day. I can't wait to go use it for real.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I am nearly ready to buy a larger pack for some multi day trips, but I have been trying to kit myself out in made in USA gear. But all I can really find in the way of backpacks tends to be ultralight stuff with 35 to 40 pound weight limits.

Is something like a Zpacks Arc Haul a bad choice for a first large pack as far as durability and weight limit goes? I could probably go under 40 pounds including 5L of water, but I don't want to buy something that wears out if I look at it funny.

Any other suggestions for made in USA packs would also be welcome.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Good to know - yeah, I like the idea of MitUSA only in the sense that it protects workers and reduces unnecessary shipping to some degree, but Mexico is a big improvement on, for instance, Bangladesh in both of those categories. Also....

Thanks everyone for all of the info. I was aware of some of the brands, and others I was not. I now have plenty of info to search through.

Also, I did not know the term tacticool before this. I am not averse to buying from a brand that has an emphasis on tactical gear, even though I am kind of a left wing moon bat non-gun guy. (But I secretly think rifles are pretty cool. Don't tell anyone.)

And yeah, I saw that those bags are now made in Mexico, but like you I think that is a big improvement over some other sources. I like supporting out neighbors to the the north and south when possible.

Until I get a new bag I'll be using my brother's semi vintage huge rear end 80+l North Face pack of some sort. Hopefully it will not kill me.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I got to test out some new equipment for the first time this weekend while car camping at a regional park with the wife, our 12 year old daughter and her friend.

Item 1) MSR windburner duo stove system. Used the pot at night to make ramen, and later at night to boil water for tea. What can I say, it was easy to use and was really fast. The next morning we used it to make pancakes. I was a little worried about too much of a hot spot in the center, but the pancakes cooked pretty evenly. Everyone ate them, I guess that is a win. The windburner will be used in the future for some planned multiday hikes.

Item 2) 4 person Coleman instant cabin type tent. Big, heavy but relatively cheap on CL. The "built in rainfly" was the size of a sheet of paper, so I was a little worried about condensation. My wife and I shared the tent, and it ventalated well enough. Granted we are down in Socal and there was a mild Santa Ana condition. It said you could put it up in last than a minute, and that was correct. It took me longer to find the stakes than it did to put up the tent. Also, it went a bit under 30F last night, something of a surprise. The crap $25 Costco sleeping bags that we have had for at least 10 years were just at their limit, although my face was pretty cold. The problem was solved by curling up a bit so I could fold the hood over my face, sealing myself in.

Item 3) Tesla model 3 in camp mode. The girl and her friend slept in climate controlled goodness as 68F. The rear seats fold flat and you pretty much just sleep with your feet in the trunk of the car. They said it was great. They listened to music, watched a movie are fell asleep looking at the stars through the skylight. With all of the extra storage available in the trunks of the car, we were able to pack a lot of gear, especially when it came to bedding.

A good time was had by all. We finished up by going to the visitors center on our way out and handled a couple of the resident snakes. Moleman, the Gopher snake, and Houdini, a California King snake.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

Rolo posted:

Oh I won’t be bringing a suitcase, It’s for a backpacking trip so everything goes in that. They have nice duffels at REI for putting the backpack inside for a bit of protection when checking it but they’re too big to carry on my back for several weeks inside my backpack if I don’t have to.

I've had good luck storing gear bags at airports. Even if there are no lockers, or lockers that are too small for the bag, there are often semi secure baggage rooms with wire cages for storing large items. Sometimes the services are run by the airport, other times they have been private 3rd party services. I usually found them by looking at the airports' home pages.

All of this assumes you are flying in and out of the same airport, too.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

Head Bee Guy posted:

With recent events at REI, what are some more “cottage” manufacturers I should check out?

Not a manucacturer, but a very small camping and backpacking store opened in San Clemente CA recently. It is sort of like a pared down version of REI in that is has what you need to go backpacking, and that is it. You will find a lot of the usual suspect brands. Osprey, MSR, Smartwool, Darn Tough, etc. I have been trying to make as many purchases as I can from there, but stock is limited. Hopefully they can survive, but it is a very small operation that the owners actually work at. I don't ever see much foot traffic in it though.

https://wanderersoutpost.com/

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I was ordering a few camp kitchen bits online, when the site pulled up a bunch of "recommendations" for me. One of them was a Benchmade Bugout with the CF handle. I remembered a few pages back somebody had posted good things about them. And since I hate money, I decided to get one.

Got it yesterday and I am quite sure THIS is the knife that I will cut my hand open with. We are heading out next week for a short overnight, so it will get the first field test cutting apples in the wilderness.

Edit: And there it is. 9 minutes later I have just nicked my palm.

Cat Ass Trophy fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 26, 2022

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I got an MSR Winburner a few months ago and it has been great. However, finding fuel for it has now become a problem. REI is out, the one local place is out.

There are plenty of videos on Youtube showing people using the green Coleman propane canister with an adapter. But most of them seem to sum up the situation with "there is a flame, and it did not explode, so I guess it works?"

I am a little more risk averse and don't want to wreck my stove and/or die. Does anyone here have experience using propane with a Windburner?

Fake edit: This would just be for car camping, and the most likely scenario is that I will just buy one of the 2 burner Coleman stoves.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

Shankel Magnus posted:

I've got about a $20 dividend and the 20% off coupon for REI.

A friend of mine invited me to a regional Burning Man event in a couple of months. I've already got a Kingdom 4 tent, cheapo sleeping bag, a little cooler, hiking pack, and a camelbak. I was thinking about getting a Kingdom cot, or maybe one of the Mega mats that was mentioned a few posts back. Is there anyone who has been to one of these type events and knows if there is something glaringly obvious that I should be getting?

Maybe a stove of some type?

Comedy answer: Hantavirus. Or a social disease.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
The adage in cycling is N+1. Where N is the number of bikes you have, and N+1 is the number of bikes you need.

I see it applies to backpacking and camping gear too.

Mrs. rear end Trophy have our first "real" backpacking adventure this weekend. By real I mean carry all of our own gear, set up in the wilderness, eat camp food, survive the night, and make it back to the trailhead. 7 miles in, 7 miles out.

But I realized we don't have camp pillows. While not 100 percent necessary, there is a local store that has a selection of Nemo and Thrm-a-rest. I'd prefer something that pack up small. Any suggestions?

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
Morakniv chat

Several pages back, I had asked about a camping knife and Morakniv came up as a recommendation. I end up buying a Companion in stainless for Mrs. Trophy, and a Bushcraft for myself.

The Mrs. is a complete anti weapon left wing moonbat and gave me a lot of grief initially. "Why you buy weapon? Bad Cat!" But after getting it into her head that it should be looked as a tool, she came around. She mainly uses hers in the camp kitchen and likes the fact that it is cheap enough that she can use it as a beater for popping rocks out of her shoe tread, and sharpening a stick for marshmellow roasting.

I got the Bushcraft because I wanted to demonstrate my manliness by being able to use it on my striker to start a fire. I am telling you, nothing appeals to the primative animal part of her brain like being able to start a fire using a striker and flint. I have very few practical skills, but I was a Cub Scout back in the, ugh, 70's, and I was able to reach way back into the memory hole and pull out how to start a fire.

Cheap and durable, I reccomend.

And because I hate money, I later bought a Benchmade Bugout. The earlier poster is right. It is a fidget spinner for a manchild. It is only a matter of time before I can my hand open.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
Any opinions on the ULA Circuit? I am in the market for a +/- 60L backpack and this seems to meet most of my requirements. Light, not too $$$ when compared to other major brands, made in USA and can fit a bladder, has a few external pockets.

Along these lines, what is the deal with the new $700 Osprey packs that weight in at nearly 7 pounds? I know they are full of all sorts of exotics, but that weight is just 90's level stuff.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

everything on the product page for those is trademarked buzzword bullshit but it sounds like it has a carbon fiber backplate thing. :shrug: I don’t understand why you couldn’t do the same with plastic or aluminum and still end up with a much lighter backpack

Yeah, I come from a road cycling background. And there are plenty of bike out there with all kinds of exotics as far as carbon, 3D printing, etc. Let's say you can get a near top of the line road racer for 8K that weighs in at 15 pounds. And then a SUPERDUPER BIKE COMPANY puts one out that says the frame is made of rich Corinthian Carbon, 3D printed in the most modern factory, and all the other parts are machined from only the finest aluminum and titanium available. We are going to price it at 20k (2.5x the cost) and it will in at 30 pounds. (2x the weight)

Nobody in the cycling world would buy something like that. This pack seems to be right along those lines.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I made a nice discovery yesterday. I was being dragged out by Mrs. Trophy to look at furniture, when we came across a little shop in an artsy shopping mall. I did not look like much at first, but upon closer look, it was packed with nearly every Snow Peak item in the flesh. According to the owner, only the Snow Peak flagship stores have more items in stock.

Not just the few items you see at REI, but kettles, full plate sets, large car camping burners, and Ti items in different colors.

I know much of it can be bought online, but it was really nice to see and feel it all in person.

I ended up buying a double wall 350ml steel camp mug and a green Ti spork. My visiting NZ friend went nuts and bought a cookset, some sporks and a camp mug, all Ti.

The place was called Sisu, one small location in Costa Mesa, a larger one in La Habra CA

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I just ordered my first full size pack, a ULA Catalyst. I've use a few rentals and also some borrowed equipment. All of that was a bit worn and heavy, so I am really looking forward to this.

As a bit of coincidence, last week I came across someone who was hiking in the hills behind my house who was with their Catalyst. Because I lack social skills and get overly excited when talking about bike or camping gear, I bombarded the poor guy with a whole bunch of questions. He eyeballed me warily, as he should, before issuing a few brief answers.

Sorry dude. Enjoy your training for the John Muir Trail.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
My ULA Catalyst arrived last weekend and I was able to put in a good test hike. 7.5 mile with a full 3l bladder and a 15 pound weighted blanket.

So far so good. The fit was very customizable, there was no bounce or sway, and the weight was all transferred to the hips nicely. I barely felt the shoulder straps. All they did was keep the pack from falling backwards off my back, no weight bearing, just the way I like it. The pack was very comfortable. The only possible drawback, and I knew this going in, is that I was used to the suspended mesh back of my Osprey 35l daypack. I do like the air gap cooling effect of the Osprey.

Build quality looks good, seams are clean and straight, pack is symetric. This is sometimes a problem in small batch, hand made equipment. I bought a few extras (hydration sleeve, external bottom straps) All told, it was just a bit over $300 and arrived 5 days after ordering.

I am going to boost the weight up to around 30 pounds this weekend. We have a 3 day, 2 night hike into the Cleveland National Forest lined up for the end of the month, looking forward to it.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I really hope this doesn't become the stupid disposable gimmick junk thread. This product is so obnoxious it's upsetting me.

I'll second this. And also go farther and state any product that claims "It is a _______ that is also a _______!" can go F itself.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
The Winburner 1.8l pot is available again as a stand alone item. (does not come with stove)

At Christmas, someone bought a Windburner Duo for us, but it was a bit much for shorter trips. even if just carrying the pot. The 1.8l fits in the pack a bit easier.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

Valency posted:

Also, is there anything I'm missing...

Who will be taking care of the cat while you are gone? It seems very concerned.

I am pretty new at this too, but you seems well kitted.

All I would say is make sure have used every piece of equipment at least once, and carry 2 methods for lighting your stove. I pack a lighter and a knife/flint.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
Re: The Narrows
This kind of thing gives me nightmares. I am a strong swimmer, but being swept downstream among churning water and debris, I'd be screwed. This search can only result in a body.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/family-of-missing-zion-hiker-shares-video-they-believe-shows-her-being-swept-down-river/ar-AA10TnT3

Pay attention to the flash flood warnings. According to other articles she IGNORED an active flash flood warning and went anyway. We were out there last year during a heat wave. No flash floods, but many hikers in distress due to lack of water.

Any outdoors death is usually caused be a series of errors/choices, and the changing of any one of those choices usually can prevent the disaster.

The Southwest has been under some near record monsoonal conditions and even if it is not raining near you, flooding is possible if it rains upstream.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

Manzoon posted:

Just need a tent and sleep system

Same. But now we now have a place that rents decent gear just a couple miles from our house. So I keep saying I will buy a tent and bag for the next trip. And then I end up renting again because I can't commit to pulling the trigger.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
The Snow Peak 450ml double wall Ti mug is 25 percent off on Amazon right now.

So I bought one because I hate money. ("I hate money" borrowed from the mountain bike thread)

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

withak posted:

I"m gradually converting to Darn Tough and tossing out my lovely garbage cotton socks.

I've been doing the same. Usually by picking up a pair every time I go to REI, especially when they are on sale. All of my pairs had been midweights with cushion, but I just picked up a pair of lightweights. I really like those for daily office use. But within a couple of weeks, one sock went MIA. I know it is in the house because I remember taking them off and putting them in the dirty basket. It probably ended up hitching a ride with one of my kids' loads of laundry and is now hidden in the bowels of their room.

My solution was to just buy another pair of the same sock. Now I have three until the AWOL one shows up.

I've had good luck so far as my sasquatch toenails have not even left a mark on any of the toe boxes.

Fake edit: Mrs. Trophy and Trophy Jr. are also DT addicts now.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I was out on a day hike on the trails behind my house. It is a pretty extensive system with a lot of variation and vertical, so people often shown up to it with full load outs for training for upcoming multi day hikes. I see a lot of the big manufacturers like Osprey, Gregory, REI and some of the smaller boutique stuff like ULA an Zpacks.

But yesterday I saw something new to me in person. There was a couple out there with some Liteways. They are made in Ukraine and are still sewing and cutting despite the Russian Invasion. They both had the pack in the link listed below. One pack was pre-invasion and the other was delivered 3 months ago. They were both happy with their purchases and liked the build quality. From what I could see they looked decent, sort of like the ULA.

So if you want to help the Ukraine economy and get what looks like a decent pack, November seems to be the current delivery date.

They also have quilts, shelters, clothing a few other miscellaneous items. I'd be interested to hear if any of you have tried their products.

https://liteway.equipment/packs/elementum-pack-x-pac-50l

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
The new backpacking tent just arrived. I am pretty excited about this, as up until now we have been using rentals from REI (Halfdome 2+). It will cut around 3 pounds from my base weight.

Later today I am off to the park to practice setting it up.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

Math You posted:

Got pretty soaked in a big downpour the other day (in my rain coat).
It was pretty cheap and lasted a decent length of time but the membrane around the top half of it is pretty torn up, so I think it's time to send it to poo poo up a landfill for 8,000 years or whatever. Who said I wouldn't have a legacy!?

I was considering getting something a bit nicer and perhaps even breathable but I'd like it to be long lasting.
Any recs? My budget would be around $200.00.
Hell, I'm wondering if an actual waterproof poncho is the real environmental/economical play

For casual use I picked up a Goretex jacket at out nearby Eddie Bauer outlet a few years ago. I am not sure of the model name but there is still something similar available at the outlet and probably online. Being from SoCal I don't use it here often, but it has served me well in NZ and the UK for many a rain and wind filled day. It is not quite parka length and is unlined, so it feels a bit unpleasant against my skin if I am wearing short sleeves underneath. But for the super sale markdown price of $40 it was worth it. Packs down to the size of a 1l bottle but is not the lightest option out there. Mrs. Trophy and I have matching ones so we look like complete dorks when touristing abroad in the rain.

But a few weeks ago I bought one of the Zpacks rain jackets. And holy crap that thing is awesome, but $100 over your budget.. I tested it in the rain only once during the hurricane remnants that came through here. It was very odd weather for us. Hot, humid and rain. The ventilation was better than any rain jacket I have ever owned and the rain just beaded up and fell off. I bought it because we are going to the Channel Islands national park in December and I wanted something light that packs down small. Mrs. Trophy knows it was probably expensive but has not asked me how much it was, but she knows my spending habits and how to use the interwebs. I am sure I will be tightening my belt and getting one for her too. At least it is cheaper than bike racing.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
We have a 3 day, 2 night backpacking trip coming up at Channel Islands NP. On the last day the boat does not leave the island until later in the afternoon, so we have time to put in a nice day hike. The park has a place to store our gear between camp site check out and the boat departure. Rather than haul our packs around, are there any compact (when not in use) smaller bags like the Sea to Summit ultrasil 18l that anyone would recommend? If it can work with a bladder of some type, even better.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I have some upcoming 3 days backpacking trips so I have been day hiking with the pack again. I think I may have found the perfect loadout simulation.

In the main body, a full 3l bladder and 2 car camping sleeping bags stacked vertically. They fill my ULA circuit all the way to the top. In each of the side pockets, a 32oz insulated steel flask.

The weight and balance are nearly identical to my planned loadout and much easier to pack.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
Mrs. Trophy and I just got back from a planned 3 day, 2 night trip to Chanel Islands National Park on Santa Cruz Island. We did unfortunately have to cut it short by 1 night, as all of the Sunday boats would most likely be cancelled due to the "storm" that is hitting SoCal right now. Boats normally don't run on Monday, so we would have been there until Tuesday morning. I would have been OK with that, as we had extra food and fuel, but The Mrs. just started a new job and grandma who is watching our kids has to head home Monday morning.

Anyway, the piece of new to us equipment we used on the trip was a Zpacks Triplex tent. All I can say it that it was fantastic. So light and small on the pack, and it went up super easy. We had practiced a few times in the yard but I was still a bit nervous using it in the wild for the first time. There was no wind at all during the night, but early in the morning some rain rolled in for a few hours. It was very relaxing just sleeping in a bit while listening to the rain. Condensation was not a problem, the inside walls remained dry. Part of this was we did not set the tent edge low to the ground as recommended for stronger storms, and also the relative humidity was pretty low all night. We used the optional carbon poles that have a fixed height. If we wanted to set the tent lower you have to dig down a bit and then set the pole.

I was a bit sad to be leaving the island early. On the boat back to the mainland there was a park ranger, and as we were making the crossing she said we made the right choice. This was the last boat off and one would not be going back until at least Tuesday. We will for sure head back some time in the spring and try for the route we had planned.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

Math You posted:

So I would like to report that down is real. Picked up a Nemo Disco 15 on boxing day, which is also my first not bargain bin sleeping bag. For most reviews saying how big and heavy it was, I am pretty blown away with how small it packs down.

It's similar in size to my definitely super not 34degree 34 degree bag and about 1/4 the size of my actually warm 30 degree bag. I'm a convert!

I was in an REI a few days ago comparing the Disco 15 vs the Disco 30. I had the same impression as you, lighter and smaller packed volume than I expected. In any case, they both had the same size stuff sack with built in compression. The 30 compressed a little bit more than the 15 as expected, maybe 2 inches shorter at most.. Both were a lot smaller than I thought they would be.

The Riff 15 is on sale at REI now for 40 percent off. It uses 800 fill power vs 650 in the Disco. Still listed as good for side sleepers, but it is a bit narrower than the Disco. Looks like you save around a third of a pound and it packs a bit smaller.

I still need to buy a bag and either looks like a good option for side sleeping.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I bring a small chair or stool on most of my trips. Usually only about a pound and we’ll worth it at the end of the day. I’m not an ultralighter and find it to be worth it’s weight for breaks along the trail.

I have been backpacking with an REI Flexlite Air for the past year. I weights in at just a pound and has handled my 200 pounds well so far. Full retail is $100, but several times a year they go on sale for REI members for $50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

At that price point I'm willing to roll the dice and see what happens. My sauconys are at end of life so I need to replace em anyways. Thanks for the tip!

The WP version do the same thing in the cart. ~70 percent off, but there are only 8 and 8.5 available.

Edit: The above is for black. The Mango version has all sizes.