Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey. I've never done more than day hike some trails in pleasant weather and, after reading the OP, I'm not sure I understand how to layer for 40 degree wet weather. Am I going to be wearing some synthetic leggings, some "normal" synthetic pants, and then some water resistant zip up pants on top? Do I maybe store the zip up pants unless it actually rains?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thank you very much, especially for the specific examples of articles of clothing; I'd been reading about "synthetic base layer" and "soft shell" and I felt a bit like Mr. Burns, holding bottles of ketchup and catsup, paralyzed.

Edit: I know cotton = bad, but I don't know if the rain jacket I own maybe has cotton inside it's lining, is that a problem?

Double Edit: No why would it be, the lining inside shouldn't get wet, and holding water like a bath towel is the problem with cotton.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 15, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What are my options (if any) for a soft shell rain jacket in the hottest, muggiest conditions?

Last winter I bought my first modernish softshell hooded jacket with a nylon shell, fleece interior. It's amazing; it keeps me dry in anything short of a down pour, it's lightweight but stops wind, it gives me an outer garment I don't have to be careful about getting dirty, and I always have plenty of pockets. I started it wearing it everywhere, every day.

The problem is that I live in the south and now it's starting to get downright hot. So, are there any recommendations I could get for a summer rain jacket with a hood? Even though it’s going to get very hot and muggy here, it’s also going to rain a lot and I know I’m going to miss having a rain jacket.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm probably mixing up the terms, sorry. What I'm sure of is that this coat I'm wearing right now breathes in a way one of those old yellow rain coats never did, and so it's been comfortable as an every day coat as long as the temperature isn't above the 70's. It's lined with fleece and not really appropriate for the summer.

So, setting aside terms like softshell, which I'm probably mis-using, I'd appreciate any recommendations for a hooded jacket that will keep some rain off while being as light and breathable as possible.

Edit: GIS suggests that what I currently has IS a gore-tex jacket. So that explains things a bit.

Edit2: And now that I have that search term I have my eye on the "Sierra Designs Neah Bay", so I may be good, but if anyone wants to throw out recommendations I'd love to hear them.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 6, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oo, that Marmot Precip in red is nice, I added it to a wish list for later, thanks.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to spend less in this economy but I absolutely don't want it go be uncomfortable, so I'll look into the Patagonia Stretch Rainshadow and others, thanks.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I need some help with a really dumb/basic question.

I want to buy a big tarp and set it up outdoors, like a pavilion/fly. I've seen some basic youtube video of how to do this and my question isn't really about the how, it's about the materials. Specifically, what kind of wooden poles should I be using and where can I buy them? I've been browsing local home improvement stores online and I can't find anything that looks appropriate. I'm also  not really sure how thick or long the poles should be? I think I'll be lashing two poles together so five or six feet each should be plenty?

So, can anyone recommend how thick the poles should be, and should I be able to find them at a place like Lowe's or Home Depot?

Edit: this is the kind of thing I'm talking about :

https://youtu.be/m-xSaYvIV7A

Edit2: maybe I can use these 3" x 6' fence posts I'm seeing in stock nearby, they're only about $6 each?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was worried wooden broom handles wouldn't be strong enough, if those will work they don't seem to cost much at all.

I see now that "scout poles" are only 1 1/8" dia, so there are a lot of places I can find something like that, lowes has hardwood dowels that go up to 1 1/4".

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 2, 2020