Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
I'm going on a trip soon with some friends to Trolltunga in Norway, including an overnight in the area. These last couple years have seen me revise most of my equipment to lighter versions and I'm getting dangerously close to being ultralight. (Yay for no longer being a poor student!)

Usually my friends and I hammock camp, so I'm using my hammock tarp as a shelter (it has door flaps on either side so it should provide ample protection). This is partly because none of us own a tent, and partly because I want to keep my set up as light as possible. This means I'll be sleeping on the ground on my 1/4" thick foam pad, which is thinner than my old pad. My old pad was the cheapest budget pad in the store, bought who knows how many years ago. It has since been transformed into a cozy for my friend's home brewing kit. No idea what the R-value of my old pad was, but apparently this newer 1/4" one is around R-value 0.90. Hopefully that'll be warm enough, but I run hot so who knows!

Another thing I'm debating trying out: Using trail runners instead of my traditional mountain boots. I've been reading a bunch about using trail runners in stead of traditional boots, with the pros and cons of both. Most people who write about it on the internet seem to be in the USA. Ask any Norwegian and they'll balk at the idea of using anything less than a 1.2 kg boot in the mountains, so it makes me feel like I'm breaking some unwritten rule by doing it. :ohdear:

I've read tips like bringing a warm dry pair of socks to change into once you get into camp, then putting bread bags over your dry socks before putting em back into the trail runners to help dry the shoes and keep your feet dry.

Anybody here Scandinavian and/or have experience using trail runners in Norwegian mountains? Any other tips or pointers? I'm still a bit on the fence about it myself. The planned trip is in the beginning of July, so the temperatures where we're going could be anywhere from 5-20 degrees Celcius, but the average is about 9-10 C for that time of year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'll just have to do some day hikes with full pack weight and see how I feel in my trail runners! I'll probably bring both and decide based on conditions when we get there. In my leather boots I do sometimes get pretty sweaty but it's never bothered me when I have a solid pair of wool socks on.

The plastic bag thing was more of a "so you wanna sit around camp and your shoes are still wet, but you have your dry socks on" type of tip if I understood it correctly. gently caress walking around with plastic bags on my feet forever.

I'll try to remember to report back how my pad held up! My summer sleeping bag is Ok, not great, but I usually run pretty hot. It's next on the list for an upgrade, but not for a while!

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

The one I have is the extra wide one from gossamer gear, the thinlight 1/4". Like most of the stuff I've bought recently it's primarily for hammock camping, haven't tested it on ground yet. The extra width is super handy so my shoulders don't get cold cause they slid off a narrower pad. If conditions are horrible I could potentially fold it in half lengthwise and it would be about as wide as your average pad.

Edit: I'll keep an eye out for sales at my local sports store for that pad tho, can't have too much gear! :v:

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

A while ago I ordered a toaks 850 ml mug in titanium to replace an older bulkier heavy pot/handle combo. It's surprisingly light and an added bonus was that my stove, burner and windshield all fit inside it! I'm pretty stoked

Forgive the low quality cell phone pics shot in my dimly lit storage slash workshop:

The whole stove, burner and pot set up is way less bulky now! I'm pretty happy with it.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Loucks posted:

edit: Also there's no reason I can't buy a tent later and still use the HG Burrow quilt because :homebrew:

I recently ordered a top quilt that I plan on using for both hammock and ground camping for what that's worth! The time has come to retire my cheap summer sleeping bag that I've had for what seems like eons.

I also bought an inflatable pillow not too long ago because as my gear gets lighter and I get better about not bringing extra crap I find I have less and less clothes to stuff into something resembling a pillow. The one pair of socks and shirt I had last time didn't quite cut it. Inflatable pillow feels good man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

I rinse mine as well as I can in the sink and then run them through a super gentle wool cycle inside of a mesh laundry bag. I haven't had a problem so far. I do think the mesh bag is really important though, I've had a different pair of runners get some color rub off before when I didn't use one. I air dry mine, sometimes with some newspaper shoved inside of em.

I dunno if that's the "right" way to do it, but it's kept mine fresh and looking new so far!