Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
So I bought last year a nice Firebox Camp stove, and I have only had a chance to use it for camping once. That said, it makes a nice Hot Pot cooker! Had a nice date night. That said, had to order replacement O ring, as it was not noticed when being lit... And burnt. The Trangia alcohol stove kicked out tons of heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Middle of the city has more passersby, possibly cameras. That said, my town has a big streak of smash and grabs lately, so wouldn't advise a bag on a seat here!

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

Pennywise the Frown posted:

None at all. I'd love to know of some. I don't know of anything outside like, a 50 mile NW trip from me.

edit: lol I just found this in my bookmarks. I haven't done any of it nor do I remember reading or bookmarking it

Wisconsin Explorer Primitive and Dispersed Camping in Wisconsin

It's mentioned on there, but Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest is beautiful, and so long as it's not hunting season, is worth it. Many parts are pine, too, which make for nice, squishy sleeping. Check out the Ice Age Trail Alliance resources - they link Guthook Guides app which has downloaded maps including Dispersed camping sites.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Anyone here have Sea to Summit sleeping bag pads? I got one as I am a side sleeper, and the third time I used it - in a tent, not rocky area... It got a hole. Bought a patch kit, fixed it, was dumb, didn't test it long enough, took it out again: second hole (and I had left the patch kit home). Another camping trip of 'old wool blanket' support, and now looking it over, looks like a third hole, on top. The kit says my style (with a softer top) can only be bottom patched. Really frustrated. My next step is epoxy and cloth, but goddamn, I expected something so expensive to be a bit more durable.

I store it stretched out at home, so there is a chance cats got near it, but it's in a closet in a room that is always closed up.

Anyone have a tough brand they would recommend? This was a 3 inch one, because side sleeping means more dent in. I broke my back years ago, so flat sleeping hurts after a few hours.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
We bought the Costco version of the Cascade cooler 80qts. It's a freaking beast (49lbs unloaded) but bear resistant and fairly sure raccoon proof. My high point this past weekend was unloading it, by myself, with beer and food inside, and walking it 30ft to the door. Gym days are showing payoff :) kept ice for days inside a cabin for days, with heavy use as the beverage fridge.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I can't remember if it was here where someone recommended Salomon hiking shoes, but if so, thanks! I did a big hike around a really steep bluff last weekend and I was feeling like a mountain goat compared to my hiking partner. Up 600 ft, down 500 ft, hike 2 miles, repeat in reverse. The park path was basically bouldering, but I didn't slip or turn an ankle once. 8 miles.

(*Of course, I could barely get out of bed the next day, but that wasn't the shoes' fault!)

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I wear compression socks 7 days a week. It's just the weekends that people get to see them with my shorts...

I've stopped in a gas station before a hike and had the clerk ask me where I am going hiking. Pretty sure I am a walking poster for 'middle aged white woman hiker'.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

kreeningsons posted:

This is tangentially backpacking and camping gear related ... I think there was a recent discussion here about ankle strengthening with balance boards. There are a ton of options. Anyone got a recommendation? It's mostly for my girlfriend who has EDS and wants to stop rolling her ankle while hiking or during everyday life.

My sister has EDS, and seriously would suggest running this not through goons but through a physical therapist first. Sister is only 45 but now walking with 2 leg braces, 2 arm braces, and a couple weeks ago had her rib just decided to swim free after bending over to tie shoes. It was cool when she was 15 that her knees bent backwards, but now she dislocates her own shoulders sleeping wrong. :(

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Tracing paper and leaves can be fun for kids, or bring along a Tree ID book, and do a little collection... I started camping age 3, though... And growing up rurally with no AC, we cooked on a campfire pit in our front yard a lot in the summer. Bread on a stick (mix biscuit mix nice and thick, paste on the end of a thicker stick, toast over fire) was one of my favorite things. Pillsbury tube biscuits also works!)

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
For the dead opposite of ultralight, Frost River is made in Duluth:
https://www.frostriver.com
(I have three of their packs and a purse!)

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I signed up before I had coffee for a weekend winter camping how to workshop, event, what have you. It the weekend of the 19th, so I have a limited time to get the gear missing from the 'things you should bring' list. You can go tent, or hammock. I have my fancy 2layer Warbonnet, but no underquilt. How stupid would it be to attempt to clamp a blanket to the bottom to fake it up? I have a stupid warm -30 winter sleeping bag, fwiw.

I am going to hit REI and possibly a fancy shoe store nearby tomorrow to get snow boots and snow pants, and some wool long johns. Brand recommendations welcome!

It's marketed at beginners, but it's 11F out right now. Someone posted it in my trail hiking group and I decided, fucket, how else am I ever going to learn to winter camp?

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the head's up! Just got an Arrowhead New River Underquilt. They had some premade gear, and one fit the bill for what I was looking for. Priority mail, so SHOULD get here in time.

I'm telling myself, I better commit to this winter hiking/camping thing, because the gear is definitely eclipsing the event registration fee. Some of the other trips they were posting about that the 'outdoor school' seemed pretty neat, if not feasible at this time (Boundary waters in winter!!). I'd not heard of the brand, and I'm trying really hard to buy local, non-sweatshop stuff.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Oh, for sure. I am hoping to do another Boundary Waters Trip in fall. In fact, I need to get my rear end in gear and pick an entry lake this weekend before they all sell out!

This 'Outdoors school' should hopefully have some good skills, and hell, maybe I'll meet people. I'm the only person of my friend's group who seems to dig outdoors camping stuff. Other friends are into sailing, 100 mile bike rides, or car camping with a minimum of 50lbs of poo poo and a full pavilion. I just want to go where I don't hear a highway, don't hear a TV, and get to stare at nature. Last boundary waters trip (2019) with my old MN people (I'm an export to WI) we had an absolutely fearless red squirrel who was eating from a wild hazelnut bush in our camp and looked like he wanted to evict us. Like stood his ground and cursed us out but good. That's the sort of thing I treasure.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Are microspikes significantly different than yaktrax? I have those already, the coil thingies with rubber toe/heel and a tarsal velcro strap...

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
We opted to cancel our membership, with a message that their anti Union stance was the reason why. No idea if it makes a difference to them, but it does to me.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Hiking shoe question - I bought some Salamon trail runners at REI (XA Pro 3d) and I liked them enough I wanted to get another pair, but hey, variety, so I bought a different pair directly from the manufacturer site. Same size, men's 8.5 US.

The new ones were too narrow (they hurt even just passively wearing them in the house). REI site has a wide 8.5 option - but only in the exact shoe I have. The tag doesn't say I bought wide, but it's possible I did? Salamon's site only has some models listed as Generous. Not actually wide.

Any idea why the main website doesn't list those? (REI sell enough they have bespoke models like Costco?) Otherwise, recommendations for trail runners that do go wide? I have weird duck feet (narrow heel, huge toe box), and one is a full size off the other.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Thanks! I appreciate the concept of zero drop, but they just feel weird to me. I wear composite toe work boots daily with a 1.5" heel, and it's just too different.

Waiting to see if Saloman will accept these back (I wore them indoors only to try out).

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I was so coveting a Viking style canvas tent, until I watched a video of one guy setting it up. I think it was an hour? And he knew what he was about.

I would love to be able to rent one, but owning is perhaps not practical.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Neat. Winter you can sledge stuff in. I took a winter camping course a few years ago and loved it. Downside, I am effectively on call for all winter now. I generally don't mind it (mad overtime with 17 hour shifts!). I loved the concept of a hot tent. I am so paranoid about carbon monoxide though...

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
And here I am, with my Frost River waxed canvas, brass and leather packs ...

The biggest I have (realistically something I would use portaging hiking only) weighs 7lbs. Empty.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Could you link what you got? I am heading to Dark Sky land soon.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I had a friend working at Vortex, and I should have taken advantage of the discount before he walked. (They were being pretty CHUD-y about COVID, unsurprisingly).

I am always a little leery about optics, as I have really poor vision in one eye, and bifocals. I've struggled a lot in the past using other binoculars, generally I end up closing the bad eye and struggling. Might just go 'au natural'. I'm tempted, but don't want to waste money
:( wish you could just rent them for a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Yep, you need a food freeze dry unit, which you weirdly can get at home. Steve1986 or whichever number (The MRE review guy) did an episode on it.

For home stuff, think small but like chili or stir fry shreds, if you are dehydrating. Maybe work ok with instant rice and veggies as a stew?